two birds down with 1,2, or 3 shots = double

Re: What do you consider a double? [Re: coleman] #530701 01/02/09 03:05 PM
S
Sethfish Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I could understand two with two as falling into the grey area, but two with three, means you either missed the second shot or took a risky out of range shot that would probably wound the duck, and still claim the title. The third shot isn't always risky but most of the time we all know that as responsible sportsmen we shouldn't take it most of the time.

Re: What do you consider a double? [Re: Sethfish] #530702 01/02/09 03:25 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Quote:

I could understand two with two as falling into the grey area, but two with three, means you either missed the second shot or took a risky out of range shot that would probably wound the duck, and still claim the title. The third shot isn't always risky but most of the time we all know that as responsible sportsmen we shouldn't take it most of the time.

You are painting a pretty broad stroke there. I can pull the triggle 3 times in like a second so often times the third shot is well within acceptable range. If you are shooting at the same bird three times yeah often times that third shot is a waste and should not be taken.

Watching hunting shows or reading articles I think double in my definition is the standard. For example in a dove hunting article they talked about in some cases you should not attempt to shoot a "double" on dove because there would be a good chance you would lose one of the birds if you don't keep your eye on where the first one went down. Also when shooting skeet...what is it called when they pull two clays at once...double. In skeet you are actually required to shoot two shots...in fact if you shoot one shot and both break there is a rule (that I'm not super familar with) where you either have to reshoot them the correct way or one is a miss...can't remember but bottom line you are not suppost to shoot two clays with one shot. I've done it once and it happened to be when I was shooting with a good friend who has been in lots of skeet tourneys and he told me about the rule...although I was so pumped I didnt listen.

Bottom line call it what you want and I'll keep calling it by the standard more recognized term.

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: What do you consider a double? [Re: Marcstar] #530703 01/02/09 03:43 PM
S
Sethfish Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Quote:

Quote:

You are painting a pretty broad stroke there. I can pull the triggle 3 times in like a second so often times the third shot is well within acceptable range. If you are shooting at the same bird three times yeah often times that third shot is a waste and should not be taken.

Watching hunting shows or reading articles I think double in my definition is the standard. For example in a dove hunting article they talked about in some cases you should not attempt to shoot a "double" on dove because there would be a good chance you would lose one of the birds if you don't keep your eye on where the first one went down. Also when shooting skeet...what is it called when they pull two clays at once...double. In skeet you are actually required to shoot two shots...in fact if you shoot one shot and both break there is a rule (that I'm not super familar with) where you either have to reshoot them the correct way or one is a miss...can't remember but bottom line you are not suppost to shoot two clays with one shot. I've done it once and it happened to be when I was shooting with a good friend who has been in lots of skeet tourneys and he told me about the rule...although I was so pumped I didnt listen.

Bottom line call it what you want and I'll keep calling it by the standard more recognized term.

I was just asking the question and defining my stance on the answer I chose to support, now if you want to reduce your standards to multiple singles equals a double or a triple then that is your deal. Now to the mention of hunting shows and hunting articles, most of them are the equivalant of watching entertainment tonight for getting correct answers on politics and financial issues, most of those guys on the hunting shows and a majority of the writers are just shamwow bubbas in camo. That is their job to sell sponsors products and products that result in doubles or triples means more potential sales, so it makes sense that the definition would be easier to attain. I guess we have a true double two birds one shot, and a modern day politcally correct liberal double of two birds regardless of shots

Re: What do you consider a double? [Re: Sethfish] #530704 01/02/09 04:32 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I was pretty much bringing up shows and articles to prove a standard. In addition my skeet argument is rock solid. So now that you mention it you are the liberal trying to take away something a hardworking person earned and giving it to those that got lucky and did not work for it. Damn you and your stance on distributing the weath!

I don't know about anyone else on here but I'm not going to stand around listening to you bad mouth the United States of America.

Last edited by Marcstar; 01/02/09 04:33 PM.

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: What do you consider a double? [Re: Marcstar] #530705 01/02/09 04:38 PM
S
Sethfish Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
S

check it out I just got a forty-ouble. yes sir, forty clappers in forty hammers.

Re: What do you consider a double? [Re: Sethfish] #530706 01/02/09 07:56 PM
I
ishootspoonies Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
2 shots/2 birds = double= better accomplishment then :
1 shot/2 birds = some stray pellets= probably shot behind the bird you were aiming at, hit it in the a$$, and killed the trailing bird with a shot to the head in which you were not aiming at.

Originally Posted By: RoosterCogburn13
I like spoonie, his humor is dryer than my duck lease.
Re: What do you consider a double? [Re: Sethfish] #530707 01/02/09 11:18 PM
1 Year Wonder Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I am constantly amazed at the number of idiots out there.

C'mon guys, wake up. Everybody knows that double is two birds kilt out of a volley of 2 shots.

The Wonder

Piles-O-Mallards TM

All posts made by the Wonder are a lie, tale, fib or some other stretch of the truth.

Re: What do you consider a double? [Re: 1 Year Wonder] #530708 01/03/09 12:03 AM
S
Sethfish Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Quote:

I am constantly amazed at the number of idiots out there.

C'mon guys, wake up. Everybody knows that double is two birds kilt out of a volley of 2 shots.

So two singles killed in less than say a minute would constitute a double? Is the time frame accurate? I never said a double was skill, it was just two birds with one shot.

Re: What do you consider a double? [Re: Crazyhorse] #530709 01/03/09 02:59 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Okay, everyone has made their opinion known.

I did not start hunting last week, it has been a few days since I shot my first doves and ducks.

Sethfish is correct in the proper termination of a Double, whether it is doves/duck/quail.

2 flying birds brought down, DEAD with ONE SHOT is a double.

It has been that way for a long time and it is not going to change, 2 birds with 2 shots are 2 singles.

Re: What do you consider a double? [Re: Crazyhorse] #530710 01/03/09 03:19 AM
D
DEERSTRANGLER Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
When the bartender puts two shots in my Coke.

Re: What do you consider a double? [Re: Crazyhorse] #530711 01/03/09 01:43 PM
1 Year Wonder Offline
Tracker
Tracker

Posted by CrazyHorse:
Quote:

2 flying birds brought down, DEAD with ONE SHOT is a double............2 birds with 2 shots are 2 singles.

Wrong.

2 birds killed with a 2 shot volley upon a covey rise, finishing ducks or a incoming group of doves is a double.

2 birds killed with one shot is out house luck.

The Wonder

Piles-O-Mallards TM

All posts made by the Wonder are a lie, tale, fib or some other stretch of the truth.

Re: What do you consider a double? [Re: 1 Year Wonder] #530712 01/03/09 02:43 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

2 birds killed with a 2 shot volley upon a covey rise, finishing ducks or a incoming group of doves is a double.

No It Is Not.

2 Birds With One Shot Is A Double.

I started bird hunting in 1967, and hunted around some old men that were in their 60's and 70's then, and it was only considered a double if two birds fell at one shot.

2 birds with two shots was considered 2 for 2, and 3 birds with 3 shots was a 3 for 3.

It did not matter if it was duck, dove or quail, and I witnessed a couple of those old men get a limit of 10 doves with 9 shells using a 410.

Why try to steal something from someone whether they are that good at judging their shot or just plain lucky?

A double on flying birds has always been two birds with one shot.

Re: What do you consider a double? [Re: Crazyhorse] #530713 01/03/09 03:16 PM
1 Year Wonder Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Posted by CrazyHorse:
Quote:

Sorry pal, but you are dead wrong no matter how many geezers you've hunted with.

The Wonder

Piles-O-Mallards TM

Re: What do you consider a double? [Re: 1 Year Wonder] #530714 01/03/09 03:36 PM
F
fowlplayr Offline
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
F
Quote:

Quote:

Sorry pal, but you are dead wrong no matter how many geezers you've hunted with.

I am right and everyone else is WRONG!!!
That is kind of an arrogant attitude.
Now I see why you are a 1 Year Wonder.

In my duck blind, a double is 2 shots - 2 downed birds. Triple = 3 shots, 3 downed birds.
2 birds - 1 shot is simply called "2 birds with one shot".

I can get 7 or 8 with one 2 3/4", #6 lead if I wait until they all gether up around the corn pile. What do you call that?

Last edited by fowlplayr; 01/03/09 04:01 PM.
Re: What do you consider a double? [Re: 1 Year Wonder] #530715 01/03/09 03:45 PM
R
R.G.C. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Quote:

Quote:

Look one year jackass why don't you quit trying start arguments and throw out insults. Everybody is going to have a differance of opinion on this. As for the for me I say a true double is 2oz. of crown in my coke.

Re: What do you consider a double? [Re: fowlplayr] #530716 01/03/09 04:08 PM
1 Year Wonder Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Posted by Fowlplyr:
Quote:

In my duck blind, a double is 2 shots - 2 downed birds. Triple = 3 shots, 3 downed birds.
2 birds - 1 shot is simply called "2 birds with one shot".

Exactly right! Now tell that to CrazyHorse and the other idiots that think a double is 2 birds with one shot

Maybe you boys need to go back and re-read my posts.

The Wonder

Piles-O-Mallards TM

Re: What do you consider a double? [Re: 1 Year Wonder] #530717 01/03/09 04:16 PM
R
R.G.C. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Why they are useless words typed by a dumbass who is a troll.

Re: What do you consider a double? [Re: R.G.C.] #530718 01/03/09 04:23 PM
1 Year Wonder Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Wow at the Love.

Me a Dumbass?? I'm not the one who ruins a good a good glass of Crown by drowning it in coke

The Wonder

Piles-O-Mallards TM

Re: What do you consider a double? [Re: Crazyhorse] #530719 01/03/09 10:43 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My apologies, the title of the thread is:
Quote:

What do you consider a double?

Everyone can consider a double what ever they want to, no one is right or wrong.

However, in the older literature, when people hunted a lot more than they do today, and things were handled in a more gentleman manor, a double was consider the killing of two birds with one shot.

I prefer to stick with that definition as I have seen and hunted with folks that could do it consistently, and they were not trying to prove anything to anyone, they just had the ability and discipline.

If a person wants to say it is two birds with two shots, go right ahead, to me that just seems a way to cheapen the actual meaning, but I guess that is what many folks today want to do.

Simply because they can't or won't learn how to shoot, it is easier to try and change the meaning of the term. JMO.

Re: What do you consider a double? [Re: Crazyhorse] #530720 01/03/09 10:59 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Simply because they can't or won't learn how to shoot, it is easier to try and change the meaning of the term. JMO.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Re: What do you consider a double? [Re: Greg] #530721 01/03/09 11:39 PM
1 Year Wonder Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Crazyhorse, you've been readin too much Gordon MacQuarrie and Nash Buckingham..... wake up and welcome to 2009 son.
That world does not exist.

Bambi does not live a peaceful coexistance in the woods with Thumper and the other critters and you can't buy the world a coke and live in perfect harmony.

Oh, and by the way your still wrong about the double

The Wonder

Piles-O-Mallards TM

Re: What do you consider a double? [Re: 1 Year Wonder] #530722 01/04/09 12:04 AM
B
birddog14 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
double 2 shots 2 birds...triple 3 shots three birds.....more than one bird with one shot - just very lucky

green is good
Re: What do you consider a double? [Re: birddog14] #530723 01/04/09 12:05 AM
F
fowlplayr Offline
F
Quote:

more than one bird with one shot - just very lucky

Accident!

Re: What do you consider a double? [Re: fowlplayr] #530724 01/04/09 12:47 AM
H
HardWired Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
So if you get 3 doubles in a row, is that good shooting or wanton waste?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide