Texas Hunting Forum

What do you consider a double?

Posted By: Sethfish

What do you consider a double? - 12/31/08 09:31 PM

I consider a double to be two birds with one shot, a triple three birds with one shot, and so forth. I see from time to time poeple describe a double or triple as two ducks with two shots or three ducks with three shots. That would be two singles or three singles. Just wondering what everyone else thought about the double and triple.

Posted By: jboato

Re: What do you consider a double? - 12/31/08 09:41 PM

My perspective is 2 with 1 shot.

Posted By: DWADR

Re: What do you consider a double? - 12/31/08 09:43 PM

Two with one shot.

Posted By: WhiskeyandMe

Re: What do you consider a double? - 12/31/08 09:44 PM

2 birds fall = Double

1,2 or 3 shots...

J.J.

Posted By: cable

Re: What do you consider a double? - 12/31/08 09:54 PM

Quote:

2 birds fall = Double

1,2 or 3 shots...

J.J.

Posted By: nogeese

Re: What do you consider a double? - 12/31/08 10:15 PM

an extra shot of beam in my sprite!

Posted By: WhiskeyandMe

Re: What do you consider a double? - 12/31/08 10:25 PM

Quote:

an extra shot of beam in my sprite!

I resemble that statement right now!

J.J.

Posted By: easton1025

Re: What do you consider a double? - 12/31/08 10:54 PM

when you bite off the chip and stick it back in the queso...

Posted By: Guy

Re: What do you consider a double? - 12/31/08 11:12 PM

Quote:

I consider a double to be two birds with one shot, a triple three birds with one shot, and so forth. I see from time to time poeple describe a double or triple as two ducks with two shots or three ducks with three shots. That would be two singles or three singles. Just wondering what everyone else thought about the double and triple.

Skillet shots don't count Seth!!

Posted By: Ridn9high

Re: What do you consider a double? - 12/31/08 11:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

2 birds fall = Double

1,2 or 3 shots...

J.J.

Agreed

Posted By: Crazyhorse

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/01/09 03:02 AM

The firearm I use to scare ducks with.

Posted By: AL_BayStealth

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/01/09 03:46 AM

I lost a case of Hieneken and a steak dinner to my Dad when he shot two doubles in a row Dove hunting during my youth. Double - one shot for two birds. My 2 cents..

Posted By: monkeyexpress

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/01/09 03:46 AM

my terminology:

Crackshot = one bird, One shot, stone cold dead (no cripple)
Double= Two birds down, one shot, cripple or dead
Duce=two birds, unloaded gun
Crack duce= two stone cold birds, two shells.
7/10 split= 3 birds, one shell, cripple ok. (10-7=3..)
triple= 3 birds, unloaded gun.
Big Fish Story= 4+birds, 3 shells.
Wal-mart Special= unloaded gun, one spoonie, and a cripple follow-up shot.

Posted By: TexasEd

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/01/09 06:14 AM

Whatever your definition I had my first downing of two ducks with one loading of the firearm today.

Hit-Miss-hit this morning. Done it with Dove several times. Even had a streak of 6 straight dove, but this was the first time with ducks.

Posted By: 7mag

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/01/09 06:41 AM

a double??? now your talking!!!! A double meat with cheese and jalepenos from Texas Burger. I knew you duck guys knew good when you saw it

Posted By: TreeBass

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/01/09 08:38 AM

Quote:

2 birds fall = Double

1,2 or 3 shots...

J.J.

Of course its always nice when you get two down with one shot

Posted By: Moose K

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/01/09 04:03 PM

Quote:

Two with one shot.

A double is shooting two birds with either two or three shots.

A scotch double is two birds with one shot.

Posted By: Marcstar

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/01/09 04:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Two with one shot.

A double is shooting two birds with either two or three shots.

A scotch double is two birds with one shot.

That's exactly what I was going to post. Surprised no one else mentioned the scotch double until now. IMO a double is probably more impressive than a scotch double because more than one bird with one shot is pretty much dumb luck.

Posted By: Fooshman

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/02/09 12:39 AM

Okay guys, I got one for ya...

Went out for a quick dove hunt this evening. First group of birds come in and I drop 2 with the first shot then dropped another bird with the second shot. What is that called? Is that a triple or what?

I also dropped the next pair that came in with one shot. Then shot a single that came in a little later. So, I got 6 birds with 4 shots. My dog was pretty happy with that lol.

Posted By: Fastduck

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/02/09 02:05 AM

Quote:

Went out for a quick dove hunt this evening. First group of birds come in and I drop 2 with the first shot then dropped another bird with the second shot. What is that called? Is that a triple or what?

If you have a group come in, no matter how many shots 1,2,3, whatever falls is whats considered a single, double, or triple. So yes, in your case you got a triple.

Posted By: FinFowlAndWhitetail

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/02/09 04:33 AM

Quote:

I also dropped the next pair that came in with one shot. Then shot a single that came in a little later. So, I got 6 birds with 4 shots. My dog was pretty happy with that lol.

we call that some good shootin

Posted By: Threecurl

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/02/09 01:55 PM

Killing two birds with two shots is a double. Killing two with a single shot is a Scotch double.

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/02/09 02:02 PM

I would still consider those singles, one bird one shot, is a single bird down from a single shot, if that was the case would a five bird limit with five shots at different times be considered a quintuple? It would have to be if one where using the logic of birds down to shots fired.

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/02/09 02:10 PM

I don't agree with you there Sethfish...it's much easier to shoot two birds several minutes apart than it is to shoot two (bang, bang) back to back in the same flight. As I said in the other post, a double (the standard definition of two birds in the same flight with two shots) is more impressive IMO than a scotch double because most of the time a scotch double is dumb luck. In fact there are a lot of people that would admit to shooting a scotch double when they didnt mean to because it put them over the limit or killed a hen as well as the drake they were shooting at.

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/02/09 02:23 PM

I understand that logic and agree shooting two birds out of a single group is difficult, but I wouldn't consider it a double. I think it should more accurately be described as I killed two out of that group with two shots, but I understand why so many call it a double, because double sounds cooler. Yes it is luck with double most times, that is what makes it special, but the way so many people shoot, including myself many times this year even the single are lucky.

Posted By: coleman

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/02/09 02:31 PM

two birds down with 1,2, or 3 shots = double

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/02/09 03:05 PM

I could understand two with two as falling into the grey area, but two with three, means you either missed the second shot or took a risky out of range shot that would probably wound the duck, and still claim the title. The third shot isn't always risky but most of the time we all know that as responsible sportsmen we shouldn't take it most of the time.

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/02/09 03:25 PM

Quote:

I could understand two with two as falling into the grey area, but two with three, means you either missed the second shot or took a risky out of range shot that would probably wound the duck, and still claim the title. The third shot isn't always risky but most of the time we all know that as responsible sportsmen we shouldn't take it most of the time.

You are painting a pretty broad stroke there. I can pull the triggle 3 times in like a second so often times the third shot is well within acceptable range. If you are shooting at the same bird three times yeah often times that third shot is a waste and should not be taken.

Watching hunting shows or reading articles I think double in my definition is the standard. For example in a dove hunting article they talked about in some cases you should not attempt to shoot a "double" on dove because there would be a good chance you would lose one of the birds if you don't keep your eye on where the first one went down. Also when shooting skeet...what is it called when they pull two clays at once...double. In skeet you are actually required to shoot two shots...in fact if you shoot one shot and both break there is a rule (that I'm not super familar with) where you either have to reshoot them the correct way or one is a miss...can't remember but bottom line you are not suppost to shoot two clays with one shot. I've done it once and it happened to be when I was shooting with a good friend who has been in lots of skeet tourneys and he told me about the rule...although I was so pumped I didnt listen.

Bottom line call it what you want and I'll keep calling it by the standard more recognized term.

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/02/09 03:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You are painting a pretty broad stroke there. I can pull the triggle 3 times in like a second so often times the third shot is well within acceptable range. If you are shooting at the same bird three times yeah often times that third shot is a waste and should not be taken.

Watching hunting shows or reading articles I think double in my definition is the standard. For example in a dove hunting article they talked about in some cases you should not attempt to shoot a "double" on dove because there would be a good chance you would lose one of the birds if you don't keep your eye on where the first one went down. Also when shooting skeet...what is it called when they pull two clays at once...double. In skeet you are actually required to shoot two shots...in fact if you shoot one shot and both break there is a rule (that I'm not super familar with) where you either have to reshoot them the correct way or one is a miss...can't remember but bottom line you are not suppost to shoot two clays with one shot. I've done it once and it happened to be when I was shooting with a good friend who has been in lots of skeet tourneys and he told me about the rule...although I was so pumped I didnt listen.

Bottom line call it what you want and I'll keep calling it by the standard more recognized term.

I was just asking the question and defining my stance on the answer I chose to support, now if you want to reduce your standards to multiple singles equals a double or a triple then that is your deal. Now to the mention of hunting shows and hunting articles, most of them are the equivalant of watching entertainment tonight for getting correct answers on politics and financial issues, most of those guys on the hunting shows and a majority of the writers are just shamwow bubbas in camo. That is their job to sell sponsors products and products that result in doubles or triples means more potential sales, so it makes sense that the definition would be easier to attain. I guess we have a true double two birds one shot, and a modern day politcally correct liberal double of two birds regardless of shots

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/02/09 04:32 PM

I was pretty much bringing up shows and articles to prove a standard. In addition my skeet argument is rock solid. So now that you mention it you are the liberal trying to take away something a hardworking person earned and giving it to those that got lucky and did not work for it. Damn you and your stance on distributing the weath!

I don't know about anyone else on here but I'm not going to stand around listening to you bad mouth the United States of America.

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/02/09 04:38 PM

check it out I just got a forty-ouble. yes sir, forty clappers in forty hammers.

Posted By: ishootspoonies

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/02/09 07:56 PM

2 shots/2 birds = double= better accomplishment then :
1 shot/2 birds = some stray pellets= probably shot behind the bird you were aiming at, hit it in the a$$, and killed the trailing bird with a shot to the head in which you were not aiming at.

Posted By: 1 Year Wonder

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/02/09 11:18 PM

I am constantly amazed at the number of idiots out there.

C'mon guys, wake up. Everybody knows that double is two birds kilt out of a volley of 2 shots.

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/03/09 12:03 AM

Quote:

I am constantly amazed at the number of idiots out there.

C'mon guys, wake up. Everybody knows that double is two birds kilt out of a volley of 2 shots.

So two singles killed in less than say a minute would constitute a double? Is the time frame accurate? I never said a double was skill, it was just two birds with one shot.

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/03/09 02:59 AM

Okay, everyone has made their opinion known.

I did not start hunting last week, it has been a few days since I shot my first doves and ducks.

Sethfish is correct in the proper termination of a Double, whether it is doves/duck/quail.

2 flying birds brought down, DEAD with ONE SHOT is a double.

It has been that way for a long time and it is not going to change, 2 birds with 2 shots are 2 singles.

Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/03/09 03:19 AM

When the bartender puts two shots in my Coke.

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/03/09 01:43 PM

Posted by CrazyHorse:
Quote:

2 flying birds brought down, DEAD with ONE SHOT is a double............2 birds with 2 shots are 2 singles.

Wrong.

2 birds killed with a 2 shot volley upon a covey rise, finishing ducks or a incoming group of doves is a double.

2 birds killed with one shot is out house luck.

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/03/09 02:43 PM

Quote:

2 birds killed with a 2 shot volley upon a covey rise, finishing ducks or a incoming group of doves is a double.

No It Is Not.

2 Birds With One Shot Is A Double.

I started bird hunting in 1967, and hunted around some old men that were in their 60's and 70's then, and it was only considered a double if two birds fell at one shot.

2 birds with two shots was considered 2 for 2, and 3 birds with 3 shots was a 3 for 3.

It did not matter if it was duck, dove or quail, and I witnessed a couple of those old men get a limit of 10 doves with 9 shells using a 410.

Why try to steal something from someone whether they are that good at judging their shot or just plain lucky?

A double on flying birds has always been two birds with one shot.

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/03/09 03:16 PM

Posted by CrazyHorse:
Quote:

Sorry pal, but you are dead wrong no matter how many geezers you've hunted with.

Posted By: fowlplayr

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/03/09 03:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry pal, but you are dead wrong no matter how many geezers you've hunted with.

I am right and everyone else is WRONG!!!
That is kind of an arrogant attitude.
Now I see why you are a 1 Year Wonder.

In my duck blind, a double is 2 shots - 2 downed birds. Triple = 3 shots, 3 downed birds.
2 birds - 1 shot is simply called "2 birds with one shot".

I can get 7 or 8 with one 2 3/4", #6 lead if I wait until they all gether up around the corn pile. What do you call that?

Posted By: R.G.C.

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/03/09 03:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Look one year jackass why don't you quit trying start arguments and throw out insults. Everybody is going to have a differance of opinion on this. As for the for me I say a true double is 2oz. of crown in my coke.

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/03/09 04:08 PM

Posted by Fowlplyr:
Quote:

In my duck blind, a double is 2 shots - 2 downed birds. Triple = 3 shots, 3 downed birds.
2 birds - 1 shot is simply called "2 birds with one shot".

Exactly right! Now tell that to CrazyHorse and the other idiots that think a double is 2 birds with one shot

Maybe you boys need to go back and re-read my posts.

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/03/09 04:16 PM

Why they are useless words typed by a dumbass who is a troll.

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/03/09 04:23 PM

Wow at the Love.

Me a Dumbass?? I'm not the one who ruins a good a good glass of Crown by drowning it in coke

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/03/09 10:43 PM

My apologies, the title of the thread is:
Quote:

Everyone can consider a double what ever they want to, no one is right or wrong.

However, in the older literature, when people hunted a lot more than they do today, and things were handled in a more gentleman manor, a double was consider the killing of two birds with one shot.

I prefer to stick with that definition as I have seen and hunted with folks that could do it consistently, and they were not trying to prove anything to anyone, they just had the ability and discipline.

If a person wants to say it is two birds with two shots, go right ahead, to me that just seems a way to cheapen the actual meaning, but I guess that is what many folks today want to do.

Simply because they can't or won't learn how to shoot, it is easier to try and change the meaning of the term. JMO.

Posted By: Greg

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/03/09 10:59 PM

Quote:

Simply because they can't or won't learn how to shoot, it is easier to try and change the meaning of the term. JMO.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/03/09 11:39 PM

Crazyhorse, you've been readin too much Gordon MacQuarrie and Nash Buckingham..... wake up and welcome to 2009 son.
That world does not exist.

Bambi does not live a peaceful coexistance in the woods with Thumper and the other critters and you can't buy the world a coke and live in perfect harmony.

Oh, and by the way your still wrong about the double

Posted By: birddog14

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/04/09 12:04 AM

double 2 shots 2 birds...triple 3 shots three birds.....more than one bird with one shot - just very lucky

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/04/09 12:05 AM

Quote:

more than one bird with one shot - just very lucky

Accident!

Posted By: HardWired

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/04/09 12:47 AM

So if you get 3 doubles in a row, is that good shooting or wanton waste?

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/04/09 12:51 AM

Quote:

No three doubles mean you get a DWI on the way home from said location.

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/04/09 12:55 AM

Quote:

That would be called 'illegal' or 'over the limit'. We actually deduct for that.

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/04/09 01:26 AM

No I am not wrong about what a double is, but then I came from an era when good shooting was more important, than spraying shot all over the place, which seems to be considered the thing to do.

You have a nice day.

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/04/09 01:34 AM

When a pair comes flying into the spread and you take 2 shots and drop both birds. To me that is a double. That is good shooting and you have placed both shots.

I have see 2-3-4-5 birds fall in 1 shot, but to me that is complete luck and not planned out.

Let's say a 8 birds come into your spread and you drop three with 3 shots. To me that is a triple. Again you are picking out a single bird with each shot and not flock shooting.

Posted By: duckiller

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/04/09 02:16 AM

Quote:

My apologies, the title of the thread is:
Quote:

Everyone can consider a double what ever they want to, no one is right or wrong.

However, in the older literature, when people hunted a lot more than they do today, and things were handled in a more gentleman manor, a double was consider the killing of two birds with one shot.

I prefer to stick with that definition as I have seen and hunted with folks that could do it consistently, and they were not trying to prove anything to anyone, they just had the ability and discipline.

If a person wants to say it is two birds with two shots, go right ahead, to me that just seems a way to cheapen the actual meaning, but I guess that is what many folks today want to do.

If you think that someone that drops two birds with one shot is skilled then you need to quit living in la la land. It's called stray pellets. I have been on several hunts where the extra duck that fell was an unwanted hen that was in the wrong place or it put someone over the limit.

I know a guy that got a ticket for an extra pintail that he refused to bury because of a stray pellet.

During teal season this year a flock of about a dozen teal birds buzzed over at about 20 yards and my buddie shot one shot as they were passing. He dropped two birds in the middle along with the lead bird and the tailing bird. 4 teal stone dead. The front one was prolly 10 feet ahead of the back one. I would not call that skill. He was aiming at the middle bird and had some stray pellets. He shot his limit with 1 shot.

If you shoot at a group of ducks and drop two ducks then you have shot a double. Whether you shot 1 time or 3 times.

Scotch double like mentioned before is a VERY common term for 2 birds with 1 shot.

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/04/09 02:25 AM

........Yep, what duckiller said.

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/04/09 02:30 AM

Maybe you need to grow up and realize that I was possibly/probably hunting duck and dove before you were a gleam in your Daddy's eyes.

Posted By: duckiller

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/04/09 02:43 AM

Quote:

Maybe you need to grow up and realize that I was possibly/probably hunting duck and dove before you were a gleam in your Daddy's eyes.

Do you want a trophy or something?

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/04/09 02:50 AM

Not anything, I just want some of you folks to realize that there was duck hunting and duck hunters before you were born.

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/04/09 02:57 AM

Quote:

Not anything, I just want some of you folks to realize that there was duck hunting and duck hunters before you were born.

Then JJ came along and killed all the ducks

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/04/09 01:57 PM

Posted by CrazyHorsebreath:
Quote:

You obviously don't know who I am sonny. I'm an old fart so don't gimme that gleam in yo Daddys eye crap.

Posted By: TreeBass

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/04/09 02:43 PM

Ya'll chill, before this one gets locked up...

jeez

Posted By: Fastduck

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/05/09 12:28 AM

Quote:

So two singles killed in less than say a minute would constitute a double? Is the time frame accurate?

Your not getting it. For it to be a double with two shots, it has to be out of the same flock. If you get one bird out of the initial pass, and the birds come back 20 seconds later and you fold another, you have two birds from that flock, but it wasn't a double. It was two singles. IF I knocked down two from the first pass in two shots, that would be a double.

Posted By: FamousAmos

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/05/09 02:32 AM

Quote:

2 birds fall = Double

1,2 or 3 shots...

J.J.

That's how I use the word.

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/05/09 02:49 PM

What about a quadruple

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/05/09 02:51 PM

Quote:

What about a quadruple

That's what I call "skillet shot".

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/05/09 02:59 PM

that brings up a good questions what is a skillet shot,

if you shoot one bird with one shot while cupping in the decoys into the wind and not in full flight is that a skillet shot

Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/05/09 03:09 PM

Quote:

What about a quadruple

By some people's interpretation I guess you'd have to float the fourth.

I've heard double used for both. Most of the time when I hear double they mean two birds down in one group. If someone takes more than one bird in a single shot it is then explained to me that is what happened. A "double" verses a "double with one shot"...

Posted By: DukCollectR

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/05/09 04:17 PM

Quote:

What about a quadruple

I witnessed a 10 ga waterswat in 1979 that accounted for 5 ducks, the point total was way over 100

Re: What do you consider a double? - 01/05/09 05:12 PM

Quote:

I've heard double used for both. Most of the time when I hear double they mean two birds down in one group. If someone takes more than one bird in a single shot it is then explained to me that is what happened. A "double" verses a "double with one shot"...

A double is both IMO. A scotch double just discribes the two in one luck shot better.

I think what we've learned here is most consider a double when two birds fall out of the same pass regardless of it being one shot or two.

I love how crazyhorse comes up with an argument that basicly says because he is old he somehow honors the skill of shooting more than people do today. I think that's a bunch of BS as hunters today probably spend more time shooting than people did back then...one because people have more time now, and two because we are a different sort and can affort to shoot more and take lessons.

That line of argument is totally subjective anyway and gives no credit to his case. If you want to quote a book, TV show, something that is standard in shooting (like I did with skeet) go ahead. But lets hold off on the backhanded remarks of people than you don't agree with.

Posted By: Hopedale

Re: What do you consider a double? - 12/07/18 02:25 AM

Dude is still a nut, but I think he's right. 2 birds, one shot, its a double.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: What do you consider a double? - 12/07/18 11:51 AM

Ok, with all the different ideas about a double, there is a generation gap. I started waterfowl hunting in the 1960's on my family's peanut fields with my grandpa and his buddies he invited to hunt with us. Most of them either shot side by sides or over unders. A Browning superposed was considered the superior shotgun of the time. Several of the old timers, my grandpa included, shot Winchester model 21 "Duck" guns, because they were more affordable and pretty much bullet proof. Nobody had heard of camo and we wore brown or tan waxed canvas. The vernacular I learned and still go by:
Double-on a decoying flight of birds, two birds are cleanly taken. One with the first barrel and another with the second barrel. The fellow who can consistently, cleanly double, was universally respected for his prowess.
Scotch Double-two birds with one shot. Great fun but $hit house luck. Usually some appropriate prodding about flock shooting from the group. Does not garner the respect of a true double.

Thanks for the post. It took me back in time to memories I had all but forgotten.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: What do you consider a double? - 12/07/18 12:55 PM

Two birds in one shot is a double. Two birds in two shots is just killing two birds.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: What do you consider a double? - 12/07/18 01:57 PM

Two birds, two shots. Two in one shot is a scotch double or just a 2 for 1. Triple is 3 birds, 3 shots.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: What do you consider a double? - 12/07/18 02:24 PM

Anyway you can get two chic's at the same time is a double in my book.
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: What do you consider a double? - 12/07/18 03:37 PM

Dropped 2 pintail drakes with one shot an hour ago. My first double!
Posted By: Whack n stack

Re: What do you consider a double? - 12/07/18 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by coleman

this.
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: What do you consider a double? - 12/07/18 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
Ok, with all the different ideas about a double, there is a generation gap. I started waterfowl hunting in the 1960's on my family's peanut fields with my grandpa and his buddies he invited to hunt with us. Most of them either shot side by sides or over unders. A Browning superposed was considered the superior shotgun of the time. Several of the old timers, my grandpa included, shot Winchester model 21 "Duck" guns, because they were more affordable and pretty much bullet proof. Nobody had heard of camo and we wore brown or tan waxed canvas. The vernacular I learned and still go by:
Double-on a decoying flight of birds, two birds are cleanly taken. One with the first barrel and another with the second barrel. The fellow who can consistently, cleanly double, was universally respected for his prowess.
Scotch Double-two birds with one shot. Great fun but $hit house luck. Usually some appropriate prodding about flock shooting from the group. Does not garner the respect of a true double.

Thanks for the post. It took me back in time to memories I had all but forgotten.

I like this story. Going forward, I've been corrected. Two birds, one shot, Scotch double. up
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: What do you consider a double? - 12/07/18 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Whack n stack
Originally Posted by coleman

this.

I agree.
Posted By: fgdn

Re: What do you consider a double? - 12/08/18 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by WhiskeyandMe
2 birds fall = Double

1,2 or 3 shots...

J.J.

double, is and always has been, as stated above

2 down, 2 shots, one right behind the other

2 with one shot, is nothing but an accident, and one of those is probably going to either walk and or fly away

had both more than once.
Posted By: Guy

Re: What do you consider a double? - 12/08/18 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
Scotch Double-two birds with one shot. Great fun but $hit house luck..

Its luck probably most of the time, especially on teal where you are reacting, but big ducks, I have had a few slow motion shots following the the bird in missile lock just waiting to pull trigger (I do this a lot hunting with others), I see another bird fall in line behind it, I pull trigger knowing I'm gonna drop 2.
Posted By: Greg

Re: What do you consider a double? - 12/08/18 01:26 AM

To me a double would be taking 2 out of a group and a triple would be taking 3. Separate shots though...I don't consider 2 birds with one shot a double but more "luck". And that kind of "luck" could put you over your limit.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: What do you consider a double? - 12/08/18 01:32 AM

I have done the same with ducks as well as geese and realized it was going to happen. It was still $hit house luck. They lined up for me, but it is not something I had any influence on happening with any regularity. A very skilled shotgunner with a double barrel can double on three consecutive flights with no luck involved. Just his prowess with his shotgun, calls, and how he sets his blocks.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: What do you consider a double? - 12/08/18 04:30 AM

I have tripled once with ducks and dove. It's a good feeling. Both were in inclement weather. 20 degrees, 25 mph wind and blowing snow on the ducks and thunderstorm on the dove. Nice to get in the truck sooner both times.
Posted By: Dansmith30cal

Re: What do you consider a double? - 12/09/18 03:27 AM

If 2 birds fall on 1 or 2 shots I would call that a double.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum