Print Thread
Tips/ checklist for taking dog on first dove hunt #5273565 08/26/14 10:35 PM
_
_Lee Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
_
I will be taking my dog for her first dove hunt Monday and was looking for advice.

The place I will be hunting has a pond right where we hunt so figure I will throw a dummy in there periodically for her to get wet. I'm taking frozen water bottles, a water bowl and Rehydrate tablets.
And I plan on letting a buddy shoot the majority of the time or the whole time while I just work with her so she doesn't pick up any bad habits. Am I missing anything?

Re: Tips/ checklist for taking dog on first dove hunt [Re: _Lee] #5273592 08/26/14 10:48 PM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Sounds like you've got it. Keep your pup hydrated and have fun. Try not to get frustrated. Kudos on focusing on the dog and letting your buddy shoot, it'll be worth it in the long run.

Re: Tips/ checklist for taking dog on first dove hunt [Re: _Lee] #5273691 08/26/14 11:40 PM
M
Mud Shark Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Hold her accountable for her level of training. Expect nothing more and nothing less. Everything else you mentioned is spot on.

Mud Shark

Re: Tips/ checklist for taking dog on first dove hunt [Re: Mud Shark] #5273718 08/26/14 11:55 PM
_
_Lee Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
_
Thanks guys , she had some training from the breeder when I got her last year and I've worked with her all year now it's just about putting it all together. The main thing I think she will need work with is breaking too soon. She will stay steady most of the time when we are working but I have a feeling once a gun is thrown into mix she will just go, that's the main reason for having him shoot see how she's gonna react and try and transition into keeping her steady until I release her.

But really I guess my main concern will be just keeping her cool. Lately in this heat I have her do about 10 retrieves id say, and she wants to do more I just don't want to over do it. How many retrieves are y'all doing this time of year?

Re: Tips/ checklist for taking dog on first dove hunt [Re: Mud Shark] #5273735 08/27/14 12:06 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: Mud Shark
Hold her accountable for her level of training. Expect nothing more and nothing less. Everything else you mentioned is spot on.

That's a good answer. flehan

Re: Tips/ checklist for taking dog on first dove hunt [Re: _Lee] #5273764 08/27/14 12:29 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Random rambling off the top of my head.

Know that retrievers sometimes will have trouble scenting a dove in hot dry dove field conditions. Don't fault the dog in those conditions. If it is really hot, don't over work the dog and let him overheat on everyone elses dove. Too much of a good thing, can turn into a bad thing. And as well if it is really hot, there is nothing wrong with sit or staying your dog in the shade and doing your own retrieve on a bird or two to reserve the dogs energy and save him for the difficult retrieves. Teach your dog to drink from a water bottle. Give him a drink immediately after every Dove as a reward. His mouth will be full of feathers and will need it. Don't feed a big meal before the hunt and have some treats to keep his blood sugar up. Don't put a wet dog in a hot unventilated crate, it is a death sentence. In your dog first aid kit for snake bite have some Benadryl if your going to be far from a veterinarian. And you might want to research or ask your vet for the best dose for your dog and tape that to the bottle.

Re: Tips/ checklist for taking dog on first dove hunt [Re: _Lee] #5273787 08/27/14 12:44 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Since this is a first Dove experience for your dog, on the very first retrieve of the day make sure you can be right there on it in case your dog tries to eat or hard mouth the bird. Dove may be a little soft and tasty from what your dog has been retrieving in training. Nip that in the bud with the first one before the problem is created. Or he may have a problem with the feathers and not want to not retrieve it at all. Again be right there with him and don't allow the problem to be created. Like anything with a dog, it is much easier to prevent than to fix an undesired behavior. Even if there is trouble, make that first retrieve a positive experience. Last if you have not introduced your dog to gunfire outside of what the breeder has done, you need to work on this before you enter a dove field hunt. Like I said, it is much easier to prevent than to fix an undesired behavior.

Re: Tips/ checklist for taking dog on first dove hunt [Re: Sniper John] #5273853 08/27/14 01:35 AM
_
_Lee Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
_
Several good things to keep in mind/ implement , thanks Sniperjohn.

Re: Tips/ checklist for taking dog on first dove hunt [Re: _Lee] #5274078 08/27/14 03:16 AM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Your going to be shooting for the first time in front of the dog during the hunt?

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Tips/ checklist for taking dog on first dove hunt [Re: MS1454] #5274101 08/27/14 03:36 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: MS1454
Your going to be shooting for the first time in front of the dog during the hunt?

Sounds like it.
_Lee wrote: "....have a feeling once a gun is thrown into mix she will just go, that's the main reason for having him shoot see how she's gonna react and...." And since he said he has been working with him for the last year, sounds like it has been a while since the dog experienced gunfire with the breeder.

The dove field is bad juju for exposing dogs to their first gunfire. Not worth the risk IMO.

Re: Tips/ checklist for taking dog on first dove hunt [Re: _Lee] #5274547 08/27/14 02:42 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
I took my first bird dog (20 something years ago) dove hunting for his first hunting experience, I let him out of the truck with no e collar on & not on a leash, it was just getting daylight and there were hunters everywhere spreading to their locations, one group was crossing the field about 100 yards away from us and shot a bird as it flew over, my dog took off toward them immediately, then more shooting from the other side of the field, off he went that way, the whole time with me calling and whistling, he was looking for me but there were over 100 people and everyone of them was dressed the same, it took me almost an hour to catch up to him & get him back with our group (by then I had missed the best hunting). He turned out to be the best quail hunting dog I have owned (R.I.P. J.R.) but I wish I hadn't been so unprepared on that 1st trip.

Make sure the dog has been exposed to gun fire, will come when it is called no matter what and is e collar trained and has an e collar on when you let her out and you should be fine. And of course, lots of fresh clean water.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Tips/ checklist for taking dog on first dove hunt [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #5275081 08/27/14 07:40 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
If you are worried about the dog breaking, stake it down.

Re: Tips/ checklist for taking dog on first dove hunt [Re: MS1454] #5275519 08/28/14 12:21 AM
_
_Lee Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
_

Yes

Re: Tips/ checklist for taking dog on first dove hunt [Re: Sniper John] #5275545 08/28/14 12:35 AM
_
_Lee Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
_
Originally Posted By: Sniper John

Sounds like it.
_Lee wrote: "....have a feeling once a gun is thrown into mix she will just go, that's the main reason for having him shoot see how she's gonna react and...." And since he said he has been working with him for the last year, sounds like it has been a while since the dog experienced gunfire with the breeder.

The dove field is bad juju for exposing dogs to their first gunfire. Not worth the risk IMO.

She was around some gunfire during her training , and I took her out once on the last day of dove season last year when I got her with the same plan of me working with her, friend shooting and only had one quick flyby my buddy shot at and missed. So she's been around a small amount of gunfire. There's only gonna be two shooters in this field. what are the risk you speak of? Would this still be a bad idea with this set up?

She was around one of those 22 blank guns and a shotgun during her basic training, videos below
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DU0lFe5TT8U

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tVo7SLMemRk

Re: Tips/ checklist for taking dog on first dove hunt [Re: _Lee] #5276705 08/28/14 06:04 PM
J
junfan68 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Between the heat and snakes, no way I'm taking one of my dogs out just to dove hunt.

Most people don't realize how fast a dog can go down due to heat stress. Nightmare.

Re: Tips/ checklist for taking dog on first dove hunt [Re: _Lee] #5278919 08/29/14 08:00 PM
S
switchln Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Lee, you should be fine. Remember, this is why you bought the dog in the first place - to hunt! Not shooting is a good idea. It should help with the no-break training. Have the e-collar on, and be ready to zap her if she breaks. If she does it again, crate her for a while.

All the other advice here is good - keep her in the shade, lots of water, etc. I always carry a bag with me that includes a first aid kit, bottle of rubbing alcohol (this cools down a dog faster than water - apply to the pads of their feet), a soft sided water bowl, and some bottles of water. That way, if you are mobile, you'll always be prepared for your dog.

Good luck and have fun!

Re: Tips/ checklist for taking dog on first dove hunt [Re: _Lee] #5279251 08/29/14 11:24 PM
R
Robalero Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
What a great thread! Never thought of not taking my Finn out for Whitewing. Since it is his first true hunt I will not be shooting; taking care of only the dog and his needs. Really looking forward to it!

Patience, Lots of Patience!
Re: Tips/ checklist for taking dog on first dove hunt [Re: _Lee] #5279548 08/30/14 02:29 AM
D
Drahthaar Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
go to the grocery store and get powder pedalite (sp) and put in her water it will keep your dog hydrated & you too. I would pay close attention to the way she acts when the gun is fired , maybe sit afew feet from your friend when he shoots to start with. Forrest

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide