Forums46
Topics538,441
Posts9,737,085
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15
Re: My next acquisition to the hog slaying arsenal - ATN X-sight Digital NV scope [Re: Cleric] #5263244 08/20/14 01:46 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted By: Cleric
Apparently it's a day or night scope. You take a shot than tell it where it hit and it zeros automatically

Yea I also like the fact that its day and night capable. That's awesome if it actually zero's itself. I tried finding a N750 zero video yesterday on youtube but couldn't find one.

[Linked Image]

Re: My next acquisition to the hog slaying arsenal - ATN X-sight Digital NV scope [Re: KRoyal] #5263354 08/20/14 02:39 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: KRoyal
Originally Posted By: Cleric
Apparently it's a day or night scope. You take a shot than tell it where it hit and it zeros automatically

Yea I also like the fact that its day and night capable. That's awesome if it actually zero's itself. I tried finding a N750 zero video yesterday on youtube but couldn't find one.

Sighting in this scope should be easier than sighting in the N750 due to the day/night mode with this scope. But the one shot zero with the N750 is super easy, it is pretty well explained in the owners manual and if you follow that it really does a good job getting the scope close to zeroed with two shots, the second shot confirming the zero. Basically, take a shot and see where it hits on target. Using the one shot zero system in the scope, you move one reticle to point of impact while holding the other reticle on intended target, then once you exit it automatically adjusts aim. Works well and is super easy.

Having that feature in this scope will be awesome, even if it isn't exactly the same set up, the concept will be the same.

Re: My next acquisition to the hog slaying arsenal - ATN X-sight Digital NV scope [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5263357 08/20/14 02:40 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Kroyal -

Digital sights, with the exception of Sightmark Photons, use menu driven inputs to change x/y coordinates which result in changes of impact to a specified measure. That unit of movement is dependent on screen resolution and sensor resolution so therefore the change in a value might be 3/4 inch for one scope and 1/2 inch for another @ 100 yards.

Don't bother looking up a Pulsar one shot zero video because we don't even know if it mirrors the approach of ATN for the X-sight. To be honest I rarely use the one-shot zero features because I always forget which reference point needs to be used to move while holding the other stationary, instead I find it easier to just take a couple of shots at 50 yards and adjust x/y the opposite direction that I desire to have the bullet move to.

Where the X-sight has a possible edge over other traditional and digital NV scopes will be for daytime zeroing. With a color screen and a zoom feature that doesn't degrade (says Sachal) at 2x then this will dramatically improve the ability to zero at 100 yards in daylight.

HTXH

Re: My next acquisition to the hog slaying arsenal - ATN X-sight Digital NV scope [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5263395 08/20/14 02:55 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Gotcha I guess the waiting game starts. Lol I'm glad I just found this and haven't been waiting for it for as long as you guys have.

[Linked Image]

Re: My next acquisition to the hog slaying arsenal - ATN X-sight Digital NV scope [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5263433 08/20/14 03:17 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:

If you have to tell it where the hit was, it isn't zeroing automatically. The one-shot zero process can be used with any scope, if you know what you are doing. Basically, you are just moving the crosshairs to the POI while holding on your original aim point, "telling the scope where the round impacted" and you are zeroed automatically, LOL.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: My next acquisition to the hog slaying arsenal - ATN X-sight Digital NV scope [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5264480 08/21/14 01:45 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
In what circumstance would the 3x be a better purchase than the 5x? Given the pre-order price difference of a $100, why would you get the smaller scope? Given ATN's earlier post on a .308 at the range, I take it that confirms .308 shock won't be a problem and is supported?

Thanks,
Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: My next acquisition to the hog slaying arsenal - ATN X-sight Digital NV scope [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5264504 08/21/14 02:01 AM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Yes, .308 is supported.

Re: My next acquisition to the hog slaying arsenal - ATN X-sight Digital NV scope [Re: CharlieCTx] #5264621 08/21/14 02:48 AM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
In what circumstance would the 3x be a better purchase than the 5x? Given the pre-order price difference of a $100, why would you get the smaller scope? Given ATN's earlier post on a .308 at the range, I take it that confirms .308 shock won't be a problem and is supported?

Thanks,
Charlie

Hi Charlie -

Your question is probably one of the most frequently asked and belabored by consumers of these types of scopes.

As reference, here is a test I did last year on a 3.5x vs 5x digital scope. There is a lot going on in this video, even I find myself catching things I didn't quite pickup while putting the footage together or watching it over and over a few times BUT for starters to get to your question, open the video and pause it at the two following point(s)

Minute mark 3:49 vs 5:15

You should see that the differences of field of view is not limited to only along a horizontal plane but also relevant to the depth of view, study how much further up and down the hill you can see with the 3.5x (3:49) vs the 5x (5:15).

Hope this helps.

HTXH

Last edited by HuntTXhogs; 08/21/14 02:51 AM.
Re: My next acquisition to the hog slaying arsenal - ATN X-sight Digital NV scope [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5264946 08/21/14 12:21 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: HuntTXhogs
So weight of the 3x without that big lense is....

Thanks for answering the previous questions!

The super powerful IR light will be in what wavelength?

450nm, isn't that visible light???

HTXH

Sachal - When you have a free moment can you answer the above questions and another as follows:

Will the user be able to independently change contrast and brightness of the viewfinder/display?

HTXH

Last edited by HuntTXhogs; 08/21/14 12:22 PM.
Re: My next acquisition to the hog slaying arsenal - ATN X-sight Digital NV scope [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5266468 08/22/14 03:48 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: HuntTXhogs

You should see that the differences of field of view is not limited to only along a horizontal plane but also relevant to the depth of view, study how much further up and down the hill you can see with the 3.5x (3:49) vs the 5x (5:15).

Hope this helps.

HTXH

Thanks for doing the video, that was really helpful!

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: My next acquisition to the hog slaying arsenal - ATN X-sight Digital NV scope [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5266827 08/22/14 02:57 PM
M
mtnbowhunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
when I enquired at TECHEYES in July/2014, about the x-sight 5-18x I was told by their Curtis Seaton via email that the x-sight from them would come complete with ATN's new IR illuminator/light included.

there is a lot of relatively useless gadgets/features that are really only best for marketing to a younger techy crowd on the x-sight.

what really matters is reliability,waterproof/fogging,optical quality and for a lot of us, especially the dark night capabilities
I hope all the gadgets do not impact the reliability of the unit

thanks to Sachal for answering some of the questions on the x-sight!!!

Re: My next acquisition to the hog slaying arsenal - ATN X-sight Digital NV scope [Re: mtnbowhunter] #5266885 08/22/14 03:46 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: mtnbowhunter
when I enquired at TECHEYES in July/2014, about the x-sight 5-18x I was told by their Curtis Seaton via email that the x-sight from them would come complete with ATN's new IR illuminator/light included.

there is a lot of relatively useless gadgets/features that are really only best for marketing to a younger techy crowd on the x-sight.

what really matters is reliability,waterproof/fogging,optical quality and for a lot of us, especially the dark night capabilities
I hope all the gadgets do not impact the reliability of the unit

thanks to Sachal for answering some of the questions on the x-sight!!!

welcome to the forum and thank you for your comments.

I understand where you are coming from on the gadgetry and in my opinion it really boils down to implementation of the scopes capabilities into an easy to use interface.

There are a good share of US consumers who have been operating computers and phones, going on 10 - 15 years now.

The concept of 1 billion data cycles per second shouldn't be downplayed afterall most full size computers (remember those big ugly towers) couldn't achieve that many cycles back in the late 80's / early 90's.

So if they make it easy to use the power of the processor this could get interesting even for the non-tech savvy users.

HTXH

Last edited by HuntTXhogs; 08/22/14 03:47 PM.
Re: My next acquisition to the hog slaying arsenal - ATN X-sight Digital NV scope [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5267216 08/22/14 08:36 PM
M
mtnbowhunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
well to each their own
if the supposedly amazing little computer can give me a clean clear picture at 300yds on a coyote in brown grass on a dark night with minimal IR light then it is doing something!!
if I need gadgets I just use my iphone!!

in all fairness to ATN, the concept of this scope is great and I hope it does the important things well,
although the agonizingly slow wait is tough, they are doing the right thing by perfecting it before shipping. Could have had a lot better PR on that though!!!!

Re: My next acquisition to the hog slaying arsenal - ATN X-sight Digital NV scope [Re: mtnbowhunter] #5267246 08/22/14 08:54 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Could have had a lot better PR on that though!!!!

Amen on that! partyon555

Re: My next acquisition to the hog slaying arsenal - ATN X-sight Digital NV scope [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5268200 08/23/14 03:08 PM
M
mtnbowhunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
SACHAL
Could you please verify if ATN is supplying their new IR Illuminator with the X-SIGHT when you buy it, I was told by Curtis Seaton at TECHEYES in July that the new illuminator would come with the X-sight.

Can you give us any info on the ATN new IR Illuminato? size, range, power levels,etc.

ONE of the faults of the x-sight that is readily apparent is that the IR light has to be mounted on the side when the top mount is a much better position.
side mounbting will give the firearm an unbalanced feel.

If you follow the digital NV scene in the UK (where it seems that they are well ahead of us on technology and useage) you will notice that they use a lot of high performance IR lights, usually custom built. These units give them incredible dark night range but are bigger and heavier. they would not work well with side mounting.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT!!!

Re: My next acquisition to the hog slaying arsenal - ATN X-sight Digital NV scope [Re: mtnbowhunter] #5268277 08/23/14 04:12 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
SACHAL
Could you please verify if ATN is supplying their new IR Illuminator with the X-SIGHT when you buy it, I was told by Curtis Seaton at TECHEYES in July that the new illuminator would come with the X-sight.

It is according to what you call new. He quoted the 450 which is a current ATN model (450 mw @ 840 nm). That doesn't seem sufficient, but we don't know the sensitivity of the sensor. If it is like others to date, it will not be enough for most people. They are supposedly going to come out with a stronger one soon.

ONE of the faults of the x-sight that is readily apparent is that the IR light has to be mounted on the side when the top mount is a much better position. side mounbting will give the firearm an unbalanced feel.

I think you're taking the weight of the illuminator a bit far. All of mine are mounted on the side and I have never noticed an unbalanced feel. A top mounting presents its own set of issues. Many blind windows are too short and would block the light path and may also present reflectivity issues. The weapon just becomes too tall and either doesn't fit in certin places or snags. A side mount is easier to adjust as well. I suspect most folks are good with side mount.

If you follow the digital NV scene in the UK (where it seems that they are well ahead of us on technology and useage) you will notice that they use a lot of high performance IR lights, usually custom built. These units give them incredible dark night range but are bigger and heavier. they would not work well with side mounting.

Yep, converse with them weekly. The same lights are available here. The really big ones are not all that usable for hunting. They (UK) use them more on DIY spotters and in open country. The multi-LED lights present a rather cumbersome reflectivity problem in addition to size and weight concerns. One thing many folks miss is that you want the power to some point, but in most hunting scenarios what you need just as much is the ability to control the light. I believe that not only focus is key, but the ability to dim is huge. The UNV 20IR does both, the others don't. The net is that those lights are available here, just not through the manufacturers yet. Standby however, there is something new coming... Isn't that always the case? up

Last edited by dfwroadkill; 08/23/14 04:17 PM.
Re: My next acquisition to the hog slaying arsenal - ATN X-sight Digital NV scope [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5268330 08/23/14 05:19 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
As noted, lateral balance concerns are a non-issue. The rotational force created by the imbalance would be negligible and quite seriously, the only folks apt to notice it while shooting are probably people too physically weak to hold the rifle. The imbalance should not affect your ability to carry or shoot the rifle and the imbalance will not affect the rifle's ballistic performance. Never mind that the scope has already screwed up the balance of the rifle, first by making it top heavy and second on the longitudinal axis.

But let's say you put the illuminator on top. Great. Now you can't access the controls. The controls need to be moved to the side. However, whichever side you put them on will be the wrong side for many shooters. The placement of the controls on top makes them ambidextrous.

It should be pointed out that lateral/side rails are common on NV scopes. Pulsar, Armasight, ATN, Luna, Night Optics, etc. have all gone with side mounted illuminators or have rails for side mounted illuminators or other accessories.

Re: My next acquisition to the hog slaying arsenal - ATN X-sight Digital NV scope [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5268529 08/23/14 08:15 PM
M
mtnbowhunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
a lot of good points made here.
obviously, type of weapon,hunting conditions and personal preference are all a factor

if I need to mount my 3in ir illuminator on the top I am sure there will be a way to do it, time will tell.

as for the UNV 20IR, this style of light is widely used for various purposes including IR, I own 3 of this light type, just not the UNV one as in my opinion it is pricey for what you get.

The folks at Techeyes were referring to the new IR light that ATN is supposedly building with the x-sight in mind.

HOPEFULLY, Sachal can shed some light on the subject, pun intended

Last edited by mtnbowhunter; 08/23/14 08:16 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Re: My next acquisition to the hog slaying arsenal - ATN X-sight Digital NV scope [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5268719 08/23/14 11:25 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
as for the UNV 20IR, this style of light is widely used for various purposes including IR, I own 3 of this light type, just not the UNV one as in my opinion it is pricey for what you get.

You have some other IR lights in mind that are comparable performers for less money?

Re: My next acquisition to the hog slaying arsenal - ATN X-sight Digital NV scope [Re: bbassi] #5268835 08/24/14 01:25 AM
M
mtnbowhunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
I built mine " T20 IR "
just be sure to get a 3 mode light and you may or may not want/need a remote tail switch

Re: My next acquisition to the hog slaying arsenal - ATN X-sight Digital NV scope [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5268879 08/24/14 01:57 AM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I think you are in good shape for the X-Sight. Top mount will be difficult because of the scope controls though.

Last edited by dfwroadkill; 08/24/14 01:58 AM.
Re: My next acquisition to the hog slaying arsenal - ATN X-sight Digital NV scope [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5269157 08/24/14 01:39 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
I built mine " T20 IR "
just be sure to get a 3 mode light and you may or may not want/need a remote tail switch

Ah, now I see why you think Europe is so far ahead in technology. You are a DIYer. LOL, they do have their contraptions.

Re: My next acquisition to the hog slaying arsenal - ATN X-sight Digital NV scope [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5269295 08/24/14 03:47 PM
M
mtnbowhunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
sorry, I forgot to put in my previous post to go to ebay and search T20 IR and several choices should come up.

Re: My next acquisition to the hog slaying arsenal - ATN X-sight Digital NV scope [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5269487 08/24/14 06:05 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Are we turning this thread into a t20 IR discussion?

Points made --- back to awaiting the X-sight

Last edited by HuntTXhogs; 08/24/14 06:06 PM.
Re: My next acquisition to the hog slaying arsenal - ATN X-sight Digital NV scope [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5269585 08/24/14 07:23 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Agreed ..

Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide