Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics538,032
Posts9,732,168
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
First Look at the Sightmark Pinnacle riflescope - Tactical / Hunting / Competition grade optic #5258068 08/17/14 06:33 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker

Product Information: Pinnacle 1-6x24 (SM13028TMD)

Sightmark sent their newly released Pinnacle model of scope to me for a hands on look so I wanted to share some photos and information related to my time spent with the 5.56 version of the scope.

The Pinnacle line currently has two options, a 5.56/7.62 version or one designed specifically for the wildly popular 300 Blackout (super or sub sonic). I was provided a look at the 5.56 version and here are my observations.

Note: This is not a full blown testing and evaluation review, instead bear in mind that I am sharing information from a limited time hands on experience to hopefully assist with your research in making a purchase decision. If you have additional questions you'd best be served talking with your dealer or calling Sightmark direct.

The Pinnacle scope is made in Japan for Sightmark and it certainly exhibits top quality craftsmanship and excellent optical clarity that has come to be expected from Japanese origin optics. The glass has excellent edge to edge clarity and Sightmark has used a TMD reticle which has Ballistic Drop Compensation (BDC) optimized for 55gr (5.56) or 180gr (7.62) loads. With a FFP reticle you will stay on target at the same point of aim (POA) regardless of the magnification power that you are using, in the case of the Pinnacle scope it is a 1-6x variable zoom scope.

The turrets are well marked for range and function crisply as you make adjustments in MIL (milirad) units. You can run the turrets exposed for ease of access or you can use caps which cover the turrets to deter unforeseen changes to your dialed in setting, say for example during transit in a soft-sided rifle case. A nice touch is inclusion of thread protectors when you are running the turrets exposed.

I mounted the scope to various rails using Sightmark's CJRK one piece quick-detach scope mount. It suits the Pinnacle perfectly in terms of height and adjustability.

The targeted market for the Pinnacle is for Tactical / Hunting / Competition applications, which is broad in a sense, but realistically you should expect that the scope will serve you well for close quarters through medium distance engagements. It is nice that the adjustments are in MIL to compliment a long range scope/gun setup if that is what you are used to using.

Overall I would recommend considering this scope in your research of short/compact/lightweight optics for AR style guns or other weapons as your see fit.

Enjoy the photos!

HTXH

My Hunting/Competition (IDPA) AR15:

And dressed is something a bit more suited for rapid fire scenerios, AK47 chambered in 5.56x45mm

Last edited by HuntTXhogs; 08/17/14 06:41 PM.
Re: First Look at the Sightmark Pinnacle riflescope - Tactical / Hunting / Competition grade optic [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5258451 08/17/14 11:01 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Interesting. Thanks for the writeup.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: First Look at the Sightmark Pinnacle riflescope - Tactical / Hunting / Competition grade optic [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5258614 08/18/14 12:32 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
So is it a Mil reicle, Mil turret? Also says BDC. Or do you have the option of one or the other?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: First Look at the Sightmark Pinnacle riflescope - Tactical / Hunting / Competition grade optic [Re: J.G.] #5258718 08/18/14 01:27 AM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
So is it a Mil reicle, Mil turret? Also says BDC. Or do you have the option of one or the other?

Hi FiremanJG -

Maybe you can help me decipher this, unfortunately I can't find a bigger image for the reticle so I scanned in the explanation from the book and took a photo of the reticle.

I believe the TMD reticle is a hybrid BDC and Mil scale style.

The BDC Dial is labeled for range but each adjustment is in Mil.

So if I decipher this correctly once you zero in to 200 yards and then reset the turret cap / BDC dials to '0' then you can use the inner portion of the circle for Mil ranging of targets and the vertical post is spaced according to BDC selection.

Does this resemble any other reticle that you've seen in your shooting experience?

Thanks,

HTXH

Re: First Look at the Sightmark Pinnacle riflescope - Tactical / Hunting / Competition grade optic [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5258758 08/18/14 01:45 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
That is a Mil reticle. It is just not as fine as the ones I use.

The narrow hash mark closest to the center dot is 1.0 Mil, the next wider hash mark is 2.0 Mil, then 3.0, then 4.0 ect. all the way to 10 Mils. My scopes are half that, so those marks would be .5 Mil, 1.0 Mil, 1.5 Mil, ect all the way to 5.0 Mil

I don't know why they add BDC to the wording, that automatically turns me off. With this Mil reticle and .1 Mil turrets I can and would use it. I hope to get to try one out sometime. Thanks for sharing!

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: First Look at the Sightmark Pinnacle riflescope - Tactical / Hunting / Competition grade optic [Re: J.G.] #5258947 08/18/14 03:29 AM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
That is a Mil reticle. It is just not as fine as the ones I use.

The narrow hash mark closest to the center dot is 1.0 Mil, the next wider hash mark is 2.0 Mil, then 3.0, then 4.0 ect. all the way to 10 Mils. My scopes are half that, so those marks would be .5 Mil, 1.0 Mil, 1.5 Mil, ect all the way to 5.0 Mil

I don't know why they add BDC to the wording, that automatically turns me off. With this Mil reticle and .1 Mil turrets I can and would use it. I hope to get to try one out sometime. Thanks for sharing!

Heck I sure appreciate your input, you guys are the experts and I'd love to get some training someday.

For now I just send a ping to let you guys n gals know what is on the menu.

cheers

Re: First Look at the Sightmark Pinnacle riflescope - Tactical / Hunting / Competition grade optic [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5260372 08/18/14 11:47 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Here is a better image of the reticle design with depiction of values

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide