Forums46
Topics538,073
Posts9,732,655
Members87,065
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: Aim Small] #5240772 08/07/14 08:43 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Aim Small
Originally Posted By: therancher

No. It's not "fair". You are using a tool against an animal with nothing but it's feet and senses. To be fair, you'd have to hunt him using nothing but your feet hands and senses.

You've already proven you have no clue what most high fence hunting ranches are. Keep talking...

fair to the animal fair to my fellow hunter and not greedy by keeping all the game to myself.

No, it's NOT fair to the animal. You are taking unfair advantage anytime you use a tool. Sorry. But look up the definition of fair. Then take your protest up with Merriam and Webster.

But you did give yourself away there. Basically it's your angst that someone else is working harder than you are, choosing to invest a different way than you do, and are free to protect their investment from those who haven't worked as hard.

That's your REAL issue.

Not to worry Aim Small. There are many like you here. up

I didn't sign up to work in a pecan orchard. I just wanted a few that fell off the tree in my back yard. Just because you want to work growing pecans doesn't mean you should be able to rip up my tree and plant it on your property.

OK. Now I'm starting to feel bad. frown

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: Aim Small] #5240819 08/07/14 08:57 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: brianl
If high fence hunting cost les than low fence hunting would you be against it?

its about the time in the woods and the mystery of what you will see.

There isn't no mystery when the animals can't leave don't care how much cheaper it got

When is hunting an animal that does not migrate become such a mystery.

Once you exceed a whitetails core area there is no mystery other then which part of thst core area he is at durning the day.

You make it sound like no lowfence ranch has ever been able to document a bucks age progression.

Maybe I've lost my mind but pretty sure couple threads going on right now showing what I speak of.

You want mystery go fish the ocean. That's the real truth to what we go

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: Aim Small] #5240823 08/07/14 09:00 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

No. It's not "fair". You are using a tool against an animal with nothing but it's feet and senses. To be fair, you'd have to hunt him using nothing but your feet hands and senses.

You've already proven you have no clue what most high fence hunting ranches are. Keep talking...

fair to the animal fair to my fellow hunter and not greedy by keeping all the game to myself.

No, it's NOT fair to the animal. You are taking unfair advantage anytime you use a tool. Sorry. But look up the definition of fair. Then take your protest up with Merriam and Webster.

But you did give yourself away there. Basically it's your angst that someone else is working harder than you are, choosing to invest a different way than you do, and are free to protect their investment from those who haven't worked as hard.

That's your REAL issue.

Not to worry Aim Small. There are many like you here. up

I didn't sign up to work in a pecan orchard. I just wanted a few that fell off the tree in my back yard. Just because you want to work growing pecans doesn't mean you should be able to rip up my tree and plant it on your property.

Do you cry when your losing team doesn't get a trophy, too?

Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: MathMan] #5240840 08/07/14 09:10 PM
P
Phantom Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Funny the ones who are the loudest about the fence issue will given the chance fold like a cheap lawn chair when confronted with the opportunity to take a deer of a lifetime. I have seen it over and over. to each his own have fun shoot strait. even if it is at a 2.5 year old.

Good is the enemy of Great
Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5240890 08/07/14 09:40 PM
A
Aim Small Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: brianl
If high fence hunting cost les than low fence hunting would you be against it?

its about the time in the woods and the mystery of what you will see.

There isn't no mystery when the animals can't leave don't care how much cheaper it got

When is hunting an animal that does not migrate become such a mystery.

Once you exceed a whitetails core area there is no mystery other then which part of thst core area he is at durning the day.

You make it sound like no lowfence ranch has ever been able to document a bucks age progression.

Maybe I've lost my mind but pretty sure couple threads going on right now showing what I speak of.

You want mystery go fish the ocean. That's the real truth to what we go

I seen a elk herd run miles and miles

I seen new deer show up all the time in the rut

On low fence you never now what is gonna show up

Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: MathMan] #5240941 08/07/14 10:04 PM
L
Lonnie Paul Walker Jr. Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L

I outfit both high fence and low fence, all my clients have fun no matter what. I have learned over the years that each person has their own views of true happiness, and I respect and take them as they are. Not my place to judge, I am just here to make their hunts memorable.

Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

"Lonnie Walker Outdoors"
Outfitter / Professional Guide
Wildlife Consultant
817-598-5338

Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: MathMan] #5240951 08/07/14 10:11 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Elk migrate... whitetails do not

Again if you exceed a whitetails core area guess what he is on the ranch some where.

You're not seeing a new magical deer... he just decided to be more visible because of the rut

core area size changes with density but none the less its a core area.

Most likely you hunt an area that doesn't exceed a deers core area so you believe they migrate... they do not. Age progression photos on this board prove it.

Big bucks just don't appear out of thin air,

HF just deters fawn dispersal and deters or pushes the outliars home range inward. Nothing more nothing less.

On a lf ranch that exceeds a deers home range you will have deer that never leave

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: MathMan] #5240969 08/07/14 10:21 PM
A
Aim Small Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
i didn't say they migrate, they move around a lot in the rut. miles and miles

Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: MathMan] #5240988 08/07/14 10:34 PM
A
Ag Hunter 78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
I am a meat hunter and usually hunt for deer or hogs. Never hunted fences…..probably taste terrible and not much "meat" on neither the posts or the wire.

Last edited by Ag Hunter 78; 08/07/14 10:35 PM.

No prayer in school....What's next, no thinking in church?
It's not just about pie in the sky when you die. It's also about steak on your plate while you wait!
Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: Aim Small] #5240999 08/07/14 10:44 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Most the time that is not miles as in linear, that's miles as in movement. Four miles movement is walking all the way around a 640acre square tract, one side to the other is a mile.

Radio collar studies prove that.

Lower the density more they move but exluding the panhandle its pretty predictable.

If you hunt a 2500 ranch unless your hunting fence lines you have the same deer. Just because they don't come to your corn feeder every day doesn't mean they aren't there.

I hunted a 140 8pt all last year year. Been watching him for three years. I saw him almost every time I pulled up spotting scope, but he only came to feeder three times. He hung out in a 100 acre track that was basiclly a deep gourge/canyon. We took a 155 10pt last year same ranch. I have 4 years worth of photos, he died post rut...when he finally got hungry. I have night photos of him all over his core area last year. He never went on a walk about he just didn't play in the day time via a feeder until post rut.

Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.] #5241642 08/08/14 03:59 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

I outfit both high fence and low fence, all my clients have fun no matter what. I have learned over the years that each person has their own views of true happiness, and I respect and take them as they are. Not my place to judge, I am just here to make their hunts memorable.

Agreed.

But there's one group/side that wants to outlaw the other's method of hunting. And if you don't defend that style they'll get it outlawed.

There is no "live and let live" with some folks. I know there are many low fence hunters who support freedom. But there are MANY who want to be our nanny.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5241864 08/08/14 06:24 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: SheepHunter

Somewhere on this 9 page post someone stated 98% of the B&C scoring deer come from HF ranches. I agree it's sad to say.

However before someone put's down another HF ranch you may want to consider this fact. There are way to many LF chest thumper's who could produce 150, 160, 170 class deer but they choose to be poor stewards of the natural resources they control on their own deer leases. They just continue pulling the trigger on that 90 inch 10 point, 10 men on a lease take 20 bucks and 7 does.

Management takes hard work... Complaints take 2 minutes on a key board.

Your post drips with elitism. You basically treat everyone who is not all about the headgear as less than you. Some of us who own our own land manage it for what it will produce and don't obsess about B&C score. Some don't manage at all and have fun just hunting. Ever thought of that?

Your attitude it being all about the outsized trophy buck and of looking down your nose at those to whom that is not a priority is misplaced. Where in the world did you interrupt this opinion in my post... Basically that attitude has led us where we are today with all the HFs.

I may be misreading you and if so I apologize....

I don't "chest-thump" because I'm jealous.

I don't like HFs because I see them as a sad reflection of hunting losing what makes it hunting. It's not all about getting a big head on the wall or killing an animal. Which is what the pens are all about.
Also, the fact that they always disrupt and often ruin the hunting around them seems to get lost in the shuffle...

Nogalus Prairie, I'll accept your apology because your comments are clearly filled with a rambling of misunderstanding.

Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: MathMan] #5242100 08/08/14 02:16 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Maybe so but without explanation as to why, I'll take what you wrote for what it says. You clearly make the assumption that it's all about the headgear and denigrate those for whom it is not.

One who hunts his family farm for the pleasure it provides is not a lesser human just because he could give a rip about "managing" his place for big bucks.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 08/08/14 02:18 PM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: MathMan] #5242113 08/08/14 02:23 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
(You have a bear over that way now...been videoed & shown up under feeders)

Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5242118 08/08/14 02:26 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

Again if you exceed a whitetails core area guess what he is on the ranch some where.

You're not seeing a new magical deer... he just decided to be more visible because of the rut

Most likely you hunt an area that doesn't exceed a deers core area so you believe they migrate... they do not. Age progression photos on this board prove it.

HF just deters fawn dispersal and deters or pushes the outliars home range inward. Nothing more nothing less.

On a lf ranch that exceeds a deers home range you will have deer that never leave

You will have some deer that never leave and you have the rest that can't leave. It is not uncommon for the deer on our place to be on camera 3-4 miles away...linear. There are a few that take over a feeder and are corn hogs, but I have seen these move and take over a different spot 2-3 miles away. This is typically mature bucks. And the travel isn't always during the rut.

Now the young bucks are known to go even farther, especially during the rut. During the rut, there isn't a distance that would surprise me. Neighbors end up with many of our regular deer and some of those neighbors are a long ways way from where the deer was living.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5242176 08/08/14 02:52 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45

Most the time that is not miles as in linear, that's miles as in movement. Four miles movement is walking all the way around a 640acre square tract, one side to the other is a mile.

Radio collar studies prove that.

Lower the density more they move but exluding the panhandle its pretty predictable.

If you hunt a 2500 ranch unless your hunting fence lines you have the same deer. Just because they don't come to your corn feeder every day doesn't mean they aren't there.

I hunted a 140 8pt all last year year. Been watching him for three years. I saw him almost every time I pulled up spotting scope, but he only came to feeder three times. He hung out in a 100 acre track that was basiclly a deep gourge/canyon. We took a 155 10pt last year same ranch. I have 4 years worth of photos, he died post rut...when he finally got hungry. I have night photos of him all over his core area last year. He never went on a walk about he just didn't play in the day time via a feeder until post rut.
HF is what keeps them from migrating to the other side flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: MathMan] #5242308 08/08/14 04:06 PM
S
Sam in the Hills Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
HAHA! Like that rebuttal- One thing I don't like about high fencing is that you can high fence your place without any concern for whether your neighbor wants that fence to be HF. We have one pasture (450 acres) that is HF on two sides- It stopped a lot of movement into (and of course out of) the corner where those two fences meet.

Sure, we could lure them there with feeders etc but we manage for good habitat and do not rely on feeders (ever wonder why the raccoon population has exploded? ....how much of that deer corn are they eating enabling them to raise more litters?)

The deer know their terrain- they know that the corner in question is like being n a trap to them- and they don't like it. Before the fence there was a nice little clearing about 400 yrds from the fence that the deer traveled regularly, now...not so much.

I mostly just wish there was some way for neighbors to have some sort of agreement on fencing- I know it is probably impossible (fencing is always an issue if you have bad neighbors to begin with) but ti would be nice to not just come out one day and see a HF going up right where you like to hunt.

Visions Ranch and Wildlife
Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: txtrophy85] #5242314 08/08/14 04:11 PM
S
Sam in the Hills Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I wouldn't have said that about the seed proof fence if the guy hadn't asked me to come over and look over his place- he wanted to know what I knew that he didn't- he sprayed his pear then said "ok when will the grass come back?" I have been all over the place and it is poorly managed- I wouldn't say that lightly. I get paid for managing ranches- I advised this guy to get a ranch management plan and stick to it.

Visions Ranch and Wildlife
Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5242373 08/08/14 04:46 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Maybe so but without explanation as to why, I'll take what you wrote for what it says. You clearly make the assumption that it's all about the headgear and denigrate those for whom it is not.

One who hunts his family farm for the pleasure it provides is not a lesser human just because he could give a rip about "managing" his place for big bucks.

You only see one Elitist world ,Yours. To you catching fish in a barrel is no different than catching fish in a lake they both provide no room for escape. You stand on your soap box and try to convince others to follow your blind premise that a 100 acres deer breeding facility is the same as a 5000 HF hunting operation. Your disillusion mind can not see the difference.

What's great about America is should we find ourselves in any situation that we object to we have the right to leave and never pull the trigger, but that is our personal choice. You clearly want to take that choice away. I'll wager a guess you believe in some form of gun control. Such as believing that taking away a semi auto AR 15 will never lead to taking away your semi auto shotgun. Doing away with a persons right to hunt a HF ranch will never impact the hunting rights of your world.
"Hey I have some beach front property for Sale"

In your heart you feel your position is Black and White but you selectively forget to acknowledge That "Not all that is Black is Dirty and not all that is White is not clean".

I agree hunting a 100 acre deer farm ,shooting hogs out of a helicopter, sitting in ambush on a 1000 year old migration trail to shot a caribou, hunting transplanted Bighorn sheep who's location has been penned down days before the hunter arrives may not be everyone's cup of tea, but they have that right. But who are you to judge.

If you are truly a hunter then head on down to Walmart and buy yourself a loin cloth, cut a tree branch, use a rock to sharpen one end and nock yourself out.

I have never made one negative comment about someone's family farm or the size of anyone's trophy. To draw that conclusion about me shows your just chest thumping without fact.

I just believe land owners have the right to sell their property for a shopping mall, sell it for a new home development, live on it for generations, LF it, HF it. Hunt it , not hunt it. They own it. However if they choice to blame others for their poor management on the land they own then they probably believe in income redistribution.

As far as you pulling a rabbit out of a hat thinking some how I'm all about score, only one comment comes to mind. I would expect no less from the elitist LF. Score is only a number a hunt is a memory of a lifetime. How we chose to hunt is Freedom. flag

Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: txshntr] #5242407 08/08/14 05:10 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: txshntr

You will have some deer that never leave and you have the rest that can't leave. It is not uncommon for the deer on our place to be on camera 3-4 miles away...linear. There are a few that take over a feeder and are corn hogs, but I have seen these move and take over a different spot 2-3 miles away. This is typically mature bucks. And the travel isn't always during the rut.

Now the young bucks are known to go even farther, especially during the rut. During the rut, there isn't a distance that would surprise me. Neighbors end up with many of our regular deer and some of those neighbors are a long ways way from where the deer was living.

That's my point 3 miles linear is 1800 acres . So once again if I hunt 2500acres those deer may very well not leave.

Lets be safe and say 3600 acres...

Well hell if you hunt over 3600 your just as bad as a HFer

Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: LuckyHunter] #5242442 08/08/14 05:29 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

You only see one Elitist world ,Yours. To you catching fish in a barrel is no different than catching fish in a lake they both provide no room for escape. You stand on your soap box and try to convince others to follow your blind premise that a 100 acres deer breeding facility is the same as a 5000 HF hunting operation. Your disillusion mind can not see the difference.

What's great about America is should we find ourselves in any situation that we object to we have the right to leave and never pull the trigger, but that is our personal choice. You clearly want to take that choice away. I'll wager a guess you believe in some form of gun control. Such as believing that taking away a semi auto AR 15 will never lead to taking away your semi auto shotgun. Doing away with a persons right to hunt a HF ranch will never impact the hunting rights of your world.

In your heart you feel your position is Black and White but you selectively forget to acknowledge That "Not all that is Black is Dirty and not all that is White is not clean".

I agree hunting a 100 acre deer farm ,shooting hogs out of a helicopter, sitting in ambush on a 1000 year old migration trail to shot a caribou, hunting transplanted Bighorn sheep who's location has been penned down days before the hunter arrives may not be everyone's cup of tea, but they have that right. But who are you to judge.

If you are truly a hunter then head on down to Walmart and buy yourself a loin cloth, cut a tree branch, use a rock to sharpen one end and nock yourself out.

I have never made one negative comment about someone's family farm or the size of anyone's trophy. To draw that conclusion about me shows your just chest thumping without fact.

I just believe land owners have the right to sell their property for a shopping mall, sell it for a new home development, live on it for generations, LF it, HF it. Hunt it , not hunt it. They own it. However if they choice to blame others for their poor management on the land they own then they probably believe in income redistribution.

As far as you pulling a rabbit out of a hat thinking some how I'm all about score, only one comment comes to mind. I would expect no less from the elitist LF. Score is only a number a hunt is a memory of a lifetime. How we chose to hunt is Freedom. flag

Perfect. And when it leaves a mark, it ain't Sheephunters fault.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: MathMan] #5242515 08/08/14 06:05 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Bobo, linear miles can't be converted to acres, ya goob.

Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: MathMan] #5242520 08/08/14 06:07 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
i thought my calculator was broke

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: MathMan] #5242531 08/08/14 06:16 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

[Linked Image]
Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: LuckyHunter] #5242959 08/08/14 10:11 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
P

Shooting deer in a pen vs. hunting them fair chase is pretty black and white to me. Always will be. You can fly the flag but one thing I lament is in America it seems fewer and fewer people see issues that are black and white as such these days. Anything goes and the ends justify the means. This is just one example.It will be our downfall one day IMO.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 08/08/14 10:18 PM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide