Forums46
Topics538,081
Posts9,732,760
Members87,065
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: Turkeyman] #5239239 08/07/14 12:17 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Turkeyman
Fair Chase is the only way to hunt. So that leaves High Fence pretty much out. Unless your hunting 20K-30K thousand acres

what about 5k acres? what about 10k?

what is the number where it becomes "fair"?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: Kenneth1977] #5239243 08/07/14 12:18 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Kenneth1977
Low
High fence should be outlawd and put I a watch

the spelling and grammar of your post really asserts your position on the subject

Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: Kenneth1977] #5239357 08/07/14 01:28 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Kenneth1977
Low
High fence should be outlawd and put I a watch

I hear banjos. And see webbed feet.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: don k] #5239360 08/07/14 01:30 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: don k
Fair Chase is the only way to hunt. So that leaves High Fence pretty much out. Unless your hunting 20K-30K thousand acres
So how do you hunt turkeys Turkey man? I would think the only fair chase way would be with a rock.

Elitist cannibals. If you don't hunt like them... you aren't "hunting".

Hunting's worst enemy is an elitist hunter.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: MathMan] #5239400 08/07/14 01:47 AM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I hunt a high fence place,four stand barb wire about 4.5 foot tall. It's so tall I can't step over it. happy3

Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: txtrophy85] #5239490 08/07/14 02:23 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

what about 5k acres? what about 10k?

what is the number where it becomes "fair"?

When it's big enough you don't need it.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: MathMan] #5239504 08/07/14 02:27 AM
M
MathMan Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M
The reason why I started this thread was because I saw so many huge deer pictures posted on here. Then I started thinking that they were low fence and just good management. Then I noticed that some people said it was high fence, some said low fence, and some people didn't say. I didn't want to always ask if it was high fence or not, so I started this thread to figure out about the percentage of hunters on here that hunt each type of property. I know good management on low fence properties can produce huge deer. I know high fence ranches can have deer that are hard to hunt. They aren't all like hunting cows on a farm. I just wanted to know how peoples deer are so huge.

From what we have gathered it seems there is, in my mind, a higher percentage of high fence hunters than I actually imagined on here. I never even knew there were that many high fence ranches around but for pictures of deer on here it doesn't tell me anything. It was flawed from the start but there has been a lot of good discussion on here about the debate of high fence vs low fence. Although none of it was new. Except for the t posts.

Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: MathMan] #5239535 08/07/14 02:38 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
98% of any deer you see these days that actually is a B&C deer is HF. Just the way it is. The irony is-it is not really a B&C deer because it is not eligible.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: KG68] #5239581 08/07/14 03:09 AM
R
rackjudge Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: KG68
Originally Posted By: BigPig
No fence on my place, a few gates scratch and a few cattle guards scratch but no fences.

Now lets see. Gates and cattle guards but no fences. I think I got it. laugh

Reminds me of Blazing Saddles....

"Somebody go get a s#%^ load of nickels"

Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: gtrich94] #5239613 08/07/14 03:27 AM
R
rackjudge Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: gtrich94
I hunt inside a 5500 acre high fence ranch in the hill country. I have a stands in two different 800 or so acre low fence sections of the ranch. So I guess you could say I hunt in both.

As to going a weekend or multiple weekends without seeing anything, I can say I have for the past two years with one of my stands. The first year I had daily camera pictures of 5 or 6 bucks or 4 or 5 does at a time. Come October, they just vanished. From that point forward, we probably saw 2 bucks and 6 does the entire season (we probably hunted morning and night for 15 days that season). They still showed up occasionally on the camera, but they never came out when we were in the blind. We ended up with 2 does and a nice buck that year, but they were shot on a game trail away from the feeder and we didn't get them until January. This past season, that blind was terrible. Very few deer on camera in the off season and nothing showed up during the season. Thankfully my second blind was in a spot on the ranch no one had hunted in years. So we were able to get 2 does and one small buck. Even then, it wasn't the type of appointment shooting many people think of when they hear high-fence and I would say we only saw deer about 50% of the time in that area.

Haha. Somebody shut the gate to your pasture on Oct 1!

Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: MathMan] #5239772 08/07/14 05:16 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L

Somewhere on this 9 page post someone stated 98% of the B&C scoring deer come from HF ranches. I agree it's sad to say.

However before someone put's down another HF ranch you may want to consider this fact. There are way to many LF chest thumper's who could produce 150, 160, 170 class deer but they choose to be poor stewards of the natural resources they control on their own deer leases. They just continue pulling the trigger on that 90 inch 10 point, 10 men on a lease take 20 bucks and 7 does.

Management takes hard work... Complaints take 2 minutes on a key board.

Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: MathMan] #5239798 08/07/14 07:35 AM
B
BBD84 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I couldnt agree more with sheep hunter, as far as the ratios of B&C bucks its true that HF produces more 160" plus deer every single year than any LF places ever will. With that all in mind I personally know of a couple private ranches that are larger LF places that shoot B&C deer every single year and do not turn them into any of the books or contests in the areas as they dont do it for the books. The lease poaching is out of control all over and thats just one of many reasons things are kept on the quiet on more of the ranches now days. I prefer HF for our managment practices we use to reach maximum growth and potental from our deer heards. I have nothing against either way of hunting, were all in this sport for the same dang reason. We love it and if it was taken away what then ? So next time your complaining of one thing or anoter just remeber this is something god has blessed us with and a privledge to do so. It is our own personal choices on how we decide to do it but at the end of the day we all love the same thing and thats gods great outdoors. Good luck this season to each and every one of yall as I hope you bag a buck of a lifetime no matter where your hunting. Shoot straight

Texas Elite Outfitters.
281-924-9720
Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: LuckyHunter] #5239916 08/07/14 12:46 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: SheepHunter

Somewhere on this 9 page post someone stated 98% of the B&C scoring deer come from HF ranches. I agree it's sad to say.

However before someone put's down another HF ranch you may want to consider this fact. There are way to many LF chest thumper's who could produce 150, 160, 170 class deer but they choose to be poor stewards of the natural resources they control on their own deer leases. They just continue pulling the trigger on that 90 inch 10 point, 10 men on a lease take 20 bucks and 7 does.

Management takes hard work... Complaints take 2 minutes on a key board.

Your post drips with elitism. You basically treat everyone who is not all about the headgear as less than you. Some of us who own our own land manage it for what it will produce and don't obsess about B&C score. Some don't manage at all and have fun just hunting. Ever thought of that?

Your attitude it being all about the outsized trophy buck and of looking down your nose at those to whom that is not a priority is misplaced. Basically that attitude has led us where we are today with all the HFs.

I may be misreading you and if so I apologize....

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 08/07/14 12:49 PM.

Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: MathMan] #5239919 08/07/14 12:55 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I don't "chest-thump" because I'm jealous.

I don't like HFs because I see them as a sad reflection of hunting losing what makes it hunting. It's not all about getting a big head on the wall or killing an animal. Which is what the pens are all about.
Also, the fact that they always disrupt and often ruin the hunting around them seems to get lost in the shuffle...

Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5239955 08/07/14 01:16 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I don't like HFs because I see them as a sad reflection of hunting losing what makes it hunting. It's not all about getting a big head on the wall or killing an animal. Which is what the pens are all about.
Also, the fact that they always disrupt and often ruin the hunting around them seems to get lost in the shuffle...

I agree with your post. In a perfect world high fences would not exist because they would not be necessary (I'm talking strictly whitetail not exotics)

but the reality is, as long as we have people who ARE poor stewards of the land, shoot deer indiscriminately "because its their land and they have that right" or they lease to hunters who are just interested in filling a tag or shooting something JUST because it has horns, there are going to be high fences because there are people who want to manage their wildlife to its fullest potential, whatever that may be given their resources.

you are 100% right.....hunting is not all about getting a big buck or killing an animal...but both low fence hunters and high fence hunters can and do go to the extremes on each side.

when hunting is all about the kill, regardless of the height of the fence, a persons priorities are off.

Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: Drop Tine] #5240050 08/07/14 02:13 PM
S
Sam in the Hills Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted By: Drop Tine
Originally Posted By: Gladesgator
Originally Posted By: Wiredhernandez
How many High fence hunters have gone a weekend in the stand and NOT seen a deer they could legally shoot? how bout two or three weekends? I am ok with either HF/LF but I would like to see some of those numbers.

We sat 7 weekends, both mornings and evenings, not consecutively tho, hunting an Axis buck for my SIL.
401 acres of HF'ed thick wooded cover.
I have sat many days and not seen a deer but know they are there.

I've hunted 3 high fence ranches. All for Axis. 1st ranch was 280 acres in Comfort, Tx. Hunted 3 days morning and evening and spot and stalk on the last day during the middle of the day.....went home with an empty ice chest. Next ranch was 640 acres and after 3 trips and 8 1/2 days of hunting, I finally got my first axis buck. Last ranch was under 300 acres. We hunted feeders, food plots, water holes......NADA. Finally got a shot when we got the wind in our face and found the Axis fighting. Crawled on our hands and knees into shooting range and got my buck.

My uncle has 360 acres low fence in the Rocksprings area. Every time I've been there, I've counted no less than 4-5 shooter Axis bucks and 40-50 whitetail and axis combined.....at every blind I sit at and every time I've been there. His place has fabulous genetics and produces awesome Axis and pretty good whitetail, for the hill country. It's definitely one of the "gameiest" places I've hunted......AND NO HIGH FENCE. It depends on the ranch you go to. People really should experience a high fence hunt before they "Talk Crap" about how it's NOT hunting, cause they can't jump the fence.

I agree- We low fence in the hill country and I have never gone hunting without the opportunity to take a shot (of course I pass plenty of times) meanwhile some of my family hunts the same ranch and they claim to "not see anything worth shooting at" Why? They show up once hunting season starts and ask the best place to sit smile I work there all year long, working cattle, mending fences....etc. I do my homework- I know where the deer are.

I think the success of your hunt has more to do with the management practices of the owners as far as creating good habitat and the homework done by the hunter than how tall the fence is.

PS- one of our neighbors (who happens to have a high fence)- has created a habitat is so crap you would swear it was (as my old range management teacher put it) a seed proof fence. Not a damn thing growing, animals eating out of feed troughs at the sound of the ranger they come running. To me- that is sad- he could manage that place well and not over stock it and be able to boast some amazing hunts- high fence or not. MANAGEMENT MATTERS!

Visions Ranch and Wildlife
Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: txtrophy85] #5240057 08/07/14 02:16 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

I agree with your post. In a perfect world high fences would not exist because they would not be necessary (I'm talking strictly whitetail not exotics)

but the reality is, as long as we have people who ARE poor stewards of the land, shoot deer indiscriminately "because its their land and they have that right" or they lease to hunters who are just interested in filling a tag or shooting something JUST because it has horns, there are going to be high fences because there are people who want to manage their wildlife to its fullest potential, whatever that may be given their resources.

you are 100% right.....hunting is not all about getting a big buck or killing an animal...but both low fence hunters and high fence hunters can and do go to the extremes on each side.

when hunting is all about the kill, regardless of the height of the fence, a persons priorities are off.

I've got to agree with both of these statements. I've seen way to many people with the "I've got 5 tags, so I need to shoot 5 deer" attitude that it makes me sick. Then there are those who will NOT shoot a doe no matter how lopsided the numbers are.

Mrs. HnF and I will shoot a nice old buck if the situation warrants it, but it is not a prerequisite for a successful year. Several years we've just shot doe for the freezer when the numbers were way out of whack. There have been years where the only shots were at targets, hogs, or varmits. We've never felt the need to "tag out" just because there are tags available. Last year we took only doe and I did put one down and dressed it out for a friend who is in questionable health, likes venison, and has a hard time getting out to hunt.

2cents

(....but I will eat black bass! clap)

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: MathMan] #5240157 08/07/14 03:12 PM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I don't like high fence hunting,but each to their own. Not much of a sportsman to pay $10,000 to set in a blind 50 yards from a feeder with a guide that tells the so called hunter he will be here in 5 minutes and shoot the one with the blue ear tag. I've watched this transpire over the last 30 years and wonder how this has come about. It's the all mighty dollar and greed. I hunt low fence from the ground with no feeder,just me against the deer. Not much to brag about to your friends if they know the real story. I had rather shoot a black Angus steer and a heck of a lot cheaper soap

Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: MathMan] #5240225 08/07/14 03:45 PM
P
Phantom Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
I used to own a place on the nueces river and I could shoot deer off of my patio while drinking coffee in my underwear. It was low fence. I never thought about fencing that place. I also had really good neighbors and no bad lease hunting around.

Good is the enemy of Great
Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: bp3] #5240246 08/07/14 03:54 PM
A
Aim Small Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted By: bp3
I don't like high fence hunting,but each to their own. Not much of a sportsman to pay $10,000 to set in a blind 50 yards from a feeder with a guide that tells the so called hunter he will be here in 5 minutes and shoot the one with the blue ear tag. I've watched this transpire over the last 30 years and wonder how this has come about. It's the all mighty dollar and greed. I hunt low fence from the ground with no feeder,just me against the deer. Not much to brag about to your friends if they know the real story. I had rather shoot a black Angus steer and a heck of a lot cheaper soap

Deer behind a fence might as well be a dang cow. They walk right out with their big horns sagging looking for someone to pet them when the hunter drives up. 15k to shoot deer stolen from your neighbor and tamed down because it has no place to hide. What a business.

Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: Aim Small] #5240286 08/07/14 04:08 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Aim Small

Deer behind a fence might as well be a dang cow. They walk right out with their big horns sagging looking for someone to pet them when the hunter drives up. 15k to shoot deer stolen from your neighbor and tamed down because it has no place to hide. What a business.

What a generalization.

Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: BBD84] #5240340 08/07/14 04:35 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: BBD84
I couldnt agree more with sheep hunter, as far as the ratios of B&C bucks its true that HF produces more 160" plus deer every single year than any LF places ever will. With that all in mind I personally know of a couple private ranches that are larger LF places that shoot B&C deer every single year and do not turn them into any of the books or contests in the areas as they dont do it for the books. The lease poaching is out of control all over and thats just one of many reasons things are kept on the quiet on more of the ranches now days. I prefer HF for our managment practices we use to reach maximum growth and potental from our deer heards. I have nothing against either way of hunting, were all in this sport for the same dang reason. We love it and if it was taken away what then ? So next time your complaining of one thing or anoter just remeber this is something god has blessed us with and a privledge to do so. It is our own personal choices on how we decide to do it but at the end of the day we all love the same thing and thats gods great outdoors. Good luck this season to each and every one of yall as I hope you bag a buck of a lifetime no matter where your hunting. Shoot straight

up

Good post!!!

Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: Aim Small] #5240406 08/07/14 05:14 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Oh wow. So, ya'll have never been associated with any high fenced hunting. Obvious.

But, why don't ya'll really hunt fair chase?

Buncha cheaters. Using weapons. I have absolutely no respect for people like you who use the unfair advantage of weapons to kill deer.

You should be ashamed!

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: bp3] #5240533 08/07/14 06:19 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

I can tell you have never seen a legitimate HF operation.

Re: Do you hunt high fence or low fence? [Re: therancher] #5240545 08/07/14 06:26 PM
A
Aim Small Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted By: therancher

Oh wow. So, ya'll have never been associated with any high fenced hunting. Obvious.

But, why don't ya'll really hunt fair chase?

Buncha cheaters. Using weapons. I have absolutely no respect for people like you who use the unfair advantage of weapons to kill deer.

You should be ashamed!

I hope it's obviuos that I dont need some deer farmer to point out which cow to shoot If I use a bow or a gun the deer can still run until he hits canada or mexico.

That's fair enough.

Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide