New Hunters....Where to learn???? #5209211 07/20/14 12:28 AM
U
USMC2844 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
U
Afternoon folks.

I am actually new to Texas, as well as being new to hunting. I hunted one season in Georgia over the '12-'13 season, and loved it. Unfortunately my one season of hunting was more of one season sitting in the woods, as I saw no deer I also grew up in a non hunting household so I am pretty much set for not knowing how to hunt.

I was in the Marines, so I like to think I know how to shoot....but I know that is just one part. My father and 2 brothers in law want to learn how to hunt, so they came to me.

My question to the community is really how does one get started hunting in general, in Texas specifically, and is there some sort of hunting mentoring/training program in the DFW area that we could attend/become a part of to learn and start hunting.

Thanks for reading through this long winded deal and thanks for the ideas!

5 Years USMC, lifelong gun lover

"You never fail until you stop trying."- Albert Einstein
“If you want something you’ve never had, you must be willing to do something you’ve never done.”-Thomas Jefferson
Re: New Hunters....Where to learn???? [Re: USMC2844] #5209254 07/20/14 12:54 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
welcome

Stick around here, there is alot of good information and some great people with tons of knowledge. I am sure you will get some great ideas, but here are a few of mine.

Hunting in Texas is mostly done on Private property. There are some options for public, but they can be tough hunting for a new hunter and some require permits/draws, etc.

I would look at going on a guided hunt. Most guides are more than willing to share experiences, show you some techniques that have worked for them, and can put you on some animals.

Start off hog hunting or on some "meat hunts". They seem to be the most affordable way to get on some animals and learn.

Another option is finding a hunting lease and learning by trial and error, reading what you can and finding a friend that hunts. Most hunters truly enjoy talking about hunting. Buy them a beer and kick back and listen.

Good luck up

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: New Hunters....Where to learn???? [Re: txshntr] #5209664 07/20/14 02:06 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
welcome

Originally Posted By: txshntr
welcome

Stick around here, there is alot of good information and some great people with tons of knowledge. I am sure you will get some great ideas, but here are a few of mine.

Hunting in Texas is mostly done on Private property. There are some options for public, but they can be tough hunting for a new hunter and some require permits/draws, etc.

I would look at going on a guided hunt. Most guides are more than willing to share experiences, show you some techniques that have worked for them, and can put you on some animals.

Start off hog hunting or on some "meat hunts". They seem to be the most affordable way to get on some animals and learn.

Another option is finding a hunting lease and learning by trial and error, reading what you can and finding a friend that hunts. Most hunters truly enjoy talking about hunting. Buy them a beer and kick back and listen.

Good luck up

Pretty much sums it up.......

One can learn a lot by just sitting & watching what animals do and how they react with each other! Read, listen, watch, & observe...

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: New Hunters....Where to learn???? [Re: USMC2844] #5209855 07/20/14 04:40 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
welcome

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: New Hunters....Where to learn???? [Re: USMC2844] #5210134 07/20/14 08:09 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
welcome

Good advice already given. I would add take the Hunters Safety Course to start out with. You will probably need it in order to hunt anyway. Texas Dan just listed courses available in the open discussion section.

Check out the outfitters section for meat hunts and hog hunts.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: New Hunters....Where to learn???? [Re: USMC2844] #5211896 07/21/14 08:23 PM
817cd Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Check your Inbox.

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Never used photoshop and never will. Photoshop is for liberals.

Re: New Hunters....Where to learn???? [Re: USMC2844] #5211914 07/21/14 08:33 PM
S
StoneyLarue13 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Welcome!

Re: New Hunters....Where to learn???? [Re: USMC2844] #5211975 07/21/14 09:06 PM
I
Icedown12pk Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I
Welcome.

Re: New Hunters....Where to learn???? [Re: USMC2844] #5212226 07/21/14 11:31 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
As I tell any newcomer, begin by breaking the sport down to its key elements and learn as much as you can about each one.

1. Animal behaviors needed to create a strategy that allows you to overcome the survival instincts of the animal, thereby resulting in a harvest opportunity.

2. General marksmanship and/or archery skills so that you can create an effective kill with a high degree of accuracy.

3. General woodsmanship so that you will be safe and comfortable in all outdoor conditions.

If you can master all three of these through sufficient knowledge and skill, filling a nice chest will be safe, easy, and enjoyable.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: New Hunters....Where to learn???? [Re: USMC2844] #5212317 07/22/14 12:26 AM
N
newtexan Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
I am new as well, and I have found these forums to be very useful. People are generally willing to go above and beyond to help, especially new guys. Also, I found this website to be useful when learning what to look for on maps or satellite images:

http://deerhuntingschool.com/

Welcome!

Re: New Hunters....Where to learn???? [Re: USMC2844] #5212985 07/22/14 02:07 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
welcome

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: New Hunters....Where to learn???? [Re: USMC2844] #5213125 07/22/14 03:31 PM
P
Pope&Young Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
welcome and thanks for your service flag

[Linked Image]
Re: New Hunters....Where to learn???? [Re: USMC2844] #5215251 07/23/14 07:52 PM
U
USMC2844 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
U
Awesome! Thank you all for the response. I will see if I can absorb all I can from you guys!

So I have settled on trying hog hunting in Central TX to get some pointers, then picking the guys brain on deer hunting. Have you all heard of a ranch that goes by the name of 4J Ranch in Centerville? I talked to the head guy over there and to a non hunter he seemed pretty legit. Any pointers are great!

Thanks again!

5 Years USMC, lifelong gun lover

"You never fail until you stop trying."- Albert Einstein
“If you want something you’ve never had, you must be willing to do something you’ve never done.”-Thomas Jefferson
Re: New Hunters....Where to learn???? [Re: USMC2844] #5215330 07/23/14 08:40 PM
S
Schpanky Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Obviously the ideal situation would be to get in with a good group of guys you can learn from. Ask around and see if there's anyone you know that hunts...in your neighborhood, at your work, at your church, etc.... Most of us have taken friends hunting with us many times....it's a great way to get started to learn the do's and don'ts around camp...around landowners...around other hunters....and around the game. That being said, prepare to make MANY mistakes and take note of each of them as learning experiences. I've been hunting 40 years and still learn something every year so you'll never know it all. This board offers a wealth of knowledge (and guff) as well so don't just lurk like I usually do...participate and ask questions. Learning to hunt is like learning to do anything else....advice from others is great but you really don't know anything until your feet are in the mud.

welcome Good to have you.

Re: New Hunters....Where to learn???? [Re: USMC2844] #5216588 07/24/14 06:07 PM
R
RossCravens Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
First off, Thank you for your service and welcome to the forum and to the best state in these great United States!

There has already been some great tips put up here but I figured I would throw in my two cents!

Getting in with some hunters you could tag along with would be great, and paying for some guided hunts is a good learning tool as well, but will get pricey after a while!!!

My suggestion would be to shop around your area and find a little lease that is affordable to you. Get out there and scout out an open area that still has some natural cover and set up a feeder. Set up a blind or pile up some brush so that the prevailing wind is in your face. Somewhere you can sit down and get comfortable for a few hours. Preferably, you want to be able to get in and out of your spot without crossing through your feeding area. The farther you can set up away from your feeder the better, but know your capabilities and still set up close enough that you can make a clean kill. The worst feeling a hunter ever feels is wounding an animal and not being able to find them!!! I have done that more times than I care to admit throughout my hunting career, and it is a horrible feeling! Get a game camera and set it up on your feeder to start learning what is visiting your feeder and when.

Once you get to that point...Get in the woods, get still, get quiet, and hunt it!! Like has already been stated, you are going to make mistakes and scare off your game, that's ok! It's part of it, just learn from your mistakes and keep trying.

The best piece of advice that I can give: Remember, it is called hunting...not shooting...and not killing. It is all about the hunt, you are not guaranteed to get something every time you get out there, so don't get disappointed! Taking an animal to me is a perk of hunting. It is all about being in the woods with family, or friends, or just being in the quiet of nature away from cellphones and highways! And once you get that first rush of true buck fever, it is a rush like you have never felt before and you will probably spend the rest of your life trying to fulfill that rush again...like the rest of the junkies on this site!!!

Like I said, just my two cents, I have been hunting my entire life and learn something new every season by trial and error, and I am always learning new stuff here...you can definitely get a jump by learning from the wealth of knowledge on this forum! There are a lot of experienced hunters that share their stories on here if you take the time to sift through it all! Don't hesitate to ask questions on here, most people are usually willing to help.

To me, that is a basic start to it...the rest will come naturally over time, just have fun with it!

Good luck, and have fun!!!

Ross

Gig 'Em

Ross Cravens
Class of '10

"From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. And from the inside looking out, you can't explain it."
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide