Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Dogs? What would you do? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5165068 06/20/14 02:23 PM
Paluxy300blk Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

It stinks, but I view it this way: control of the animal was not maintained. If you live in the country or take a dog to the country, there is risk involved if there is any chance the dog might run off. Most times nothing will happen and the dog will be found, sometimes the dog will never be found, sometimes a landowner will shoot it thinking it is a threat, and sometimes idiots like you describe will shoot it.

No matter how it happens, a dog crossing property lines carries a risk to the dog.

I agree. The letter of the law is fairly clear.

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

I would never shoot any non-aggressive dog with a collar on it BTW.

I used to say the same thing, until some unruly neighbors kept unleashing their hunting dogs every opening day of every season, letting them run all over creation and onto my property while people were trying to hunt. I tried to explain to them that their dogs were crossing the property lines frequently. They did nothing. I spoke to a Game Warden who was going to "have a talk with them." After 2 years I said to heck with it. If their dogs came over to snoop around our stands and our hunting lanes on opening day, they were subject to the risks associated with being a threat to my property. We're not talking about a dog barely crossing a property line, we're talking about dogs being in the middle of 300 acres (not theirs.) The dog problem got resolved.

Re: Dogs? What would you do? [Re: Dave B] #5165069 06/20/14 02:24 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
csi keep an update on the land owner & the agresive dogs. popcorn flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Dogs? What would you do? [Re: Dave B] #5165086 06/20/14 02:33 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Dave B
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
I think you did the right thing but I also wouldn't blame you if you had shot them either. A lost dog is one thing, an aggressive one is completely different.

Yep Kevin. Not sure why they were there unless pursuing a rabbit or other small critter eating the corn. Caught me by surprise. I need to link up with you and bring my boat up to CC so we can catch some crappie soon. up
csi flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Dogs? What would you do? [Re: Dave B] #5165228 06/20/14 04:13 PM
westexhunt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
This has gotten out of hand. I have had dogs come up to my house twice, both times I fired towards them with a 22 pistol loaded only with rat shot. None of those dogs have come back. I had four dogs in the same pasture as my heifers that were being syncronized for AI and all four of those dogs got lead. It was obvious what they were doing, they acted worse than a pack of coyotes. Running from the truck but still not scared enough of it to leave the cattle and pasture. Each incident needs to be taken care of as needed.

Re: Dogs? What would you do? [Re: westexhunt] #5165236 06/20/14 04:21 PM
Paluxy300blk Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: westexhunt
Each incident needs to be taken care of as needed.

Yep. "choot 'em" is what a lot of people say but I hope they use some discretion. It's unfortunate any time a pet is taken without cause.

Re: Dogs? What would you do? [Re: Letsgo] #5165311 06/20/14 05:20 PM
H
huntnfishtex Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Originally Posted By: Letsgo
Aggressive dogs need a bullet - no doubt or argument.

Here is my story I posted on this site back from 2006 - still bothers me to this day: Fat lab wearing a bright orange collar that would not harm anything and was scared of anything that moved - scared of doves if they were still alive. Hell, baby rabbits would make her put her tail between her legs and run away.

"From 2006 on the THF"
Well just to put a different spin on this.

My brother and I went out dove hunting this last September with his two labs. Both labs are family pets and have been hunting for the last 9 years. We start the afternoon hunting at our best tank around 5pm and the doves immediately start flying.

While we are still at the truck the first few doves fly over and both of us shoot. Something spooks Daisey the chocolate lab and she bolts like a bat out of hell. She is last seen running up a ravine about 300 yards away.

Just to set the tone she is a 90 pound fat female lab that has been sleeping on the couch and eating people food for the last 9 years.

After a few hours of calling and whistling she is no where to be seen. Please remember that this is a dog that has been hunting every year, a family pet and cherished by my 8 year old nephew and 5 year old niece. As it got dark we feared the worst.... That some drunk dove hunter would be out on his lease driving around and looking for anything to shot.
Well, right after sundown we heard the shot.............
After driving over to the fence line we found two guys on the neighboring property sitting with spotlights shining on Daisey laying, gasping for air in the grass.

After talking to them they said she came out just across the fence on their property. I am sure she was confused and scared and saw people was glad to be around humans. There justification was "legally I can shoot anything on my property".

If I could do it all over again sure, I would have not taken her with us. I am still not sure what happened.

Trying look in the eyes of two small kids and explaining that Daisey is gone but hunting is still a great adventure. Shooting a dog just "because" does not justify the act.....

Just my two cents.

very sorry to hear that man. Almost unbelievable till you read what some write on here... sorry for your loss.

Re: Dogs? What would you do? [Re: Dave B] #5165326 06/20/14 05:41 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
"My dog is like my family. You shoot it, I shoot you."

And thus deprive your real family (wife, kids, parents, etc) of ever knowing you while you rot in prison for the rest of your life.

Over a dog.

That was illegally on someone else's land.

Some of you just aren't all there.

Re: Dogs? What would you do? [Re: Dave B] #5165538 06/20/14 08:24 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Here we go.

popcorn

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Dogs? What would you do? [Re: westexhunt] #5165598 06/20/14 09:05 PM
M
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: westexhunt
This has gotten out of hand. .................................................................................................. Each incident needs to be taken care of as needed.

Yep. Common sense seems to be missing in some folks.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Dogs? What would you do? [Re: 1860.colt] #5165651 06/20/14 09:40 PM
D
Dave B Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: colt.45
Originally Posted By: Dave B
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
I think you did the right thing but I also wouldn't blame you if you had shot them either. A lost dog is one thing, an aggressive one is completely different.

Yep Kevin. Not sure why they were there unless pursuing a rabbit or other small critter eating the corn. Caught me by surprise. I need to link up with you and bring my boat up to CC so we can catch some crappie soon. up
csi flag

Thanks colt.45. I opened up a [censored] can of worms on this thread. Time for this thread to go away. frown Time to go fishing. banana

Re: Dogs? What would you do? [Re: Dave B] #5165738 06/20/14 10:30 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
The real question is, will those dogs just go away........... bolt

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Dogs? What would you do? [Re: stxranchman] #5165885 06/20/14 11:47 PM
westexhunt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
The real question is, will those dogs just go away........... bolt

As to the original post those dogs would not have chased me. Period. The fact that the OP didn't have a weapon is why this discussion took place.

Re: Dogs? What would you do? [Re: stxranchman] #5165970 06/21/14 12:54 AM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
popcorn

popcorn sleep2 u got any butter flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Dogs? What would you do? [Re: Sneaky] #5169733 06/23/14 09:43 PM
O
OldTexan Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Originally Posted By: Humannpower
But to kill a dog just for being on your property is messed up. If it is aggressive towards you, family, or live stock then so be it. But at least have the integrity to attempt to contact the owner.

I see you have no experience in these matters.

First if all, if I assume the dog is not harming anything and let him go, then I can be guaranteed some sort of damages down the road. Instead, I handle the problem the first time and avoid it. I don't want dead livestock to prove that your mutt wasn't harmless. The only harmless dog is the one kept in a yard.

Second, letting someone know is only going to cause problems. People that let their dogs run on other people's property rarely know how to take responsibility for anything. Instead, they will blame me. I don't need that anymore than I needed the dog on my place.

Third, if they are so concerned with their mutt, then they will make sure he isn't on my property. Mistakes happen, but it is still the dog owners responsibility. Not mine.

The only people that don't understand this are the ones that have never dealt with it. Until you've owned property or livestock that's been damaged by someone's precious mutt that does no wrong, or known someone attacked by a stray that doesn't bite, then you have absolutely no room to criticize anyone for shooting a dog on THEIR property.

I want to ask a question. I've read the thread and understand the rules of the country. I understand how and why a dog can be shot if he trespasses and it within the legal rights of the property owner. I understand the damage and how a house pet can kill. I'm not taking sides either, as I've shot dogs and cats coming onto the farm. I know both sides as I've had a dog shot. Actually when I was a very small child, I was almost shot by an a-hole that shot my dog on our own property. So I get it and I understand it.

Now my question. If a horse, mule, steer, bull, fowl, or other ranch/farm animal gets loose and enters my property and does damage, am I within my right to shoot that animal?

We had a neighbor's aggressive bull get through a fence, enter our yard and destroy a picnic table trying to find a way out. If my small niece and nephew had been playing in that back yard, they could have been killed. So what if I'd shot the bull who frequently got out?

Stock can do great damage to a lawn or garden, so can I shoot them if the stray onto my property?

Had a real jerk off neighbor shoot at my dog who was chasing the kids past the guy's house. In the street, not on his property with the kids within 30 yards of the dog. Guy told me he was worried the dog would get inside his fence and go after his peacocks.

Well guess what, his damned peacocks got loose and roosted on top of my shed in the back yard. I called him and told him if he didn't come get the noise making sob's within 5 minutes, he'd better start checking on recipes for fried peacock. He wore a different face and had a whole different attitude at that point and from there on.

Had a neighbor's geese keep getting out and coming in my yard doing all kinds of damage. Would I have been in my rights to shoot them?

Lots of things to think about when talking about animals. Lot of values, lots of sentiments. Lots of ways to use common sense and be a good neighbor and solve issues of the moment and on into the future.

Re: Dogs? What would you do? [Re: Dave B] #5169748 06/23/14 09:57 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Look what the cat drug up.

I don't know the laws. All I know is what I would do to solve the problem.

Re: Dogs? What would you do? [Re: Dave B] #5169917 06/24/14 12:02 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Just to prove I am not an indiscriminate frothing-at-the-mouth dog shooter, here are some visitors from the neighborhood I had a minute ago:

They even teased the cat:

Yet they lived to tell the tale. Got some petting from me, took a quick dip in the pool, and moved on down the road to see what the other neighbors had going on. smile

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Dogs? What would you do? [Re: OldTexan] #5169925 06/24/14 12:05 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: OldTexan
Originally Posted By: Humannpower
But to kill a dog just for being on your property is messed up. If it is aggressive towards you, family, or live stock then so be it. But at least have the integrity to attempt to contact the owner.

I see you have no experience in these matters.

First if all, if I assume the dog is not harming anything and let him go, then I can be guaranteed some sort of damages down the road. Instead, I handle the problem the first time and avoid it. I don't want dead livestock to prove that your mutt wasn't harmless. The only harmless dog is the one kept in a yard.

Second, letting someone know is only going to cause problems. People that let their dogs run on other people's property rarely know how to take responsibility for anything. Instead, they will blame me. I don't need that anymore than I needed the dog on my place.

Third, if they are so concerned with their mutt, then they will make sure he isn't on my property. Mistakes happen, but it is still the dog owners responsibility. Not mine.

The only people that don't understand this are the ones that have never dealt with it. Until you've owned property or livestock that's been damaged by someone's precious mutt that does no wrong, or known someone attacked by a stray that doesn't bite, then you have absolutely no room to criticize anyone for shooting a dog on THEIR property.

I want to ask a question. I've read the thread and understand the rules of the country. I understand how and why a dog can be shot if he trespasses and it within the legal rights of the property owner. I understand the damage and how a house pet can kill. I'm not taking sides either, as I've shot dogs and cats coming onto the farm. I know both sides as I've had a dog shot. Actually when I was a very small child, I was almost shot by an a-hole that shot my dog on our own property. So I get it and I understand it.

Now my question. If a horse, mule, steer, bull, fowl, or other ranch/farm animal gets loose and enters my property and does damage, am I within my right to shoot that animal?

We had a neighbor's aggressive bull get through a fence, enter our yard and destroy a picnic table trying to find a way out. If my small niece and nephew had been playing in that back yard, they could have been killed. So what if I'd shot the bull who frequently got out?

Stock can do great damage to a lawn or garden, so can I shoot them if the stray onto my property?

Had a real jerk off neighbor shoot at my dog who was chasing the kids past the guy's house. In the street, not on his property with the kids within 30 yards of the dog. Guy told me he was worried the dog would get inside his fence and go after his peacocks.

Well guess what, his damned peacocks got loose and roosted on top of my shed in the back yard. I called him and told him if he didn't come get the noise making sob's within 5 minutes, he'd better start checking on recipes for fried peacock. He wore a different face and had a whole different attitude at that point and from there on.

Had a neighbor's geese keep getting out and coming in my yard doing all kinds of damage. Would I have been in my rights to shoot them?

Lots of things to think about when talking about animals. Lot of values, lots of sentiments. Lots of ways to use common sense and be a good neighbor and solve issues of the moment and on into the future.

Livestock laws are different... just like exotics vs livestock.

Its best to know the laws before stopping a threat. Their is legal recourse for property damage via livestock

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Dogs? What would you do? [Re: Dave B] #5169931 06/24/14 12:07 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Nog, that border collie is going for the hose. Watch out!

Re: Dogs? What would you do? [Re: Sneaky] #5169944 06/24/14 12:12 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Nog, that border collie is going for the hose. Watch out!

LOL yes she is a rescue super shy as you can see but will come to me. The other two will knock you down and slobber all over you. They have been coming over for years.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Dogs? What would you do? [Re: Dave B] #5170262 06/24/14 03:18 AM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Reading all of this does help me understand both sides of the issue. I've posted before about the 4 dogs that came at me, and what I did about it to protect myself, and that got me kind of fired up about what I was gonna do the next time I had dogs on the place. I was gonna SSS, but I didn't. I talk a lot tougher than I guess I really am. Time and again I've had a dog or two on the place and I haven't done any SSS at all. Last dog I had on the place, my tomcat ran him off.

I just talk tough. Of course on coyotes and pigs, I'm an action kinda guy.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Dogs? What would you do? [Re: Dave B] #5170337 06/24/14 04:10 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
'yotes go on the wall and piggies on the 'Q...

Lots of dogs run up here at the lake, the ones who are aggressive don't last long, the ones like Nog has visiting are given treats.

Some AH at one of the Permanent living concessions up the way from shot and killed a Pointer that had run the Peninsula for years for some reason. I know 4 or 5 of us fed him regularly and he was friendly to our outdoor cats too....and played Big Dog Running Games with the Lab behind me. The dog was a leave behind from a Divorce 2 blocks over that could not be fenced and was looking for his "Daddy" according to the ex-Father in Law.

I'm told the Concession is looking for a way to make the AH sell his house or move it - no slab built's allowed, as his Ground Lease has been terminated...messy deal all around. I DO NOT want to know who this POS is that'd do something like that...Just Sayin'
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Dogs? What would you do? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5170571 06/24/14 01:29 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Can you clarify "AH"?

Re: Dogs? What would you do? [Re: Dave B] #5170580 06/24/14 01:32 PM
A
alexrex20 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
My neighbor's pair of Springer Spaniels got into my yard and terrorized my Brittany, had her bayed up in the corner of the fence. I gave them one warning. Next time it happened, I unleashed my pit mix which is very protective of his friend the Brittany, and he made short work of the Springers. (Both Springers got away with their lives, though one of them was cut up pretty bad.) Neighbor called the sheriff and he did nothing but suggest they do a better job confining their dogs.

A rifle is more humane than a pit bull at solving these kinds of problems.

Re: Dogs? What would you do? [Re: cameron00] #5170745 06/24/14 03:16 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
It is a common eupheism...

You the one who did the shooting???
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Dogs? What would you do? [Re: Dave B] #5171545 06/24/14 10:44 PM
T
Team By-God Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Choot em .. If the owners cared about em they wouldn't be running wild..

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide