Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: DEER LEASE SCAM ALERT [Re: Cannon] #4690238 10/25/13 02:50 PM
T
TxAg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Cannon
We had a situation where an adjoining land owner's SIL leased out on one of our satellite timber tracts. It is a mature timber tract that doesn't need much managment and is several miles from the majority of our property, so I guess he figured we'd never notice.

The worst part was the man he took advantage of. The GW told me the guy had saved all year to have a place to take his son hunting. They had worked together to put in green fields and a couple of shooting houses, and then found out he had no rights to hunt. I met with him to see if his story was legitimate, and when explaining the situation this big ol guy starts crying about letting his son down, 10 yr old boy who had worked with his daddy every weekend to get the place ready and practiced his shooting all summer he was so excited.

As mad as I was at the guy that leased the property, I couldn't bring my self to crush that little boys' opportunity to make those memories with his dad. This will be the third year they have hunted the property for just the cost of an insurance policy.

Maybe I'm getting soft, but i was not about to take away their place to hunt, talk, and build a relationship they would cherish for a lifetime. Those who grew up hunting with their dad or granddad know what I'm talking about. I'm 40 with 2 degrees, but can promise you the most important lessons I ever learned were from my dad in a deer stand or sitting on the tailgate of a truck after a hard days work.

You're a good man for doing this, and I believe you did the right thing. In this situation, I feel you are getting paid for this lease, it's just not in $. That young man's experiences with his Father are worth quite alot. If we were ever to meet, the next beer's on me. up

Re: DEER LEASE SCAM ALERT [Re: Poke81] #4710098 11/01/13 03:06 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Poke81
When I was a kid in high school my parents leased their land to a guy who the first year was solid. I think it was around the third year that he took all the hunters money but didn't pay any landowners. Parents property is out by Lake Daniels in Breckenridge and he had land "leased" from Abilene to W'ford. I think it was the mid/early 90's and I don't think the guy spent a day in jail over the offense but I could be wrong.

This guy sounds a lot like Joe Slater. If so, he's in prison right now for doing the same thing.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: DEER LEASE SCAM ALERT [Re: mow] #4790241 11/28/13 04:51 PM
H
Harveymushman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Must have bonded out of Hood Co. because the public database doesn't show a Shane Roberts in jail. Jeez I hate a scam artist.

NRA Life Member
Re: DEER LEASE SCAM ALERT [Re: bowassin] #4962174 02/08/14 03:59 PM
D
dk1051 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
To add to this, there is a guy in San Marcos, TX scamming hunters as well. He got me about 3 yrs ago. He is leasing a piece of property close to the outskirts of town (which Im not sure how he got his grubby hands on) but he is WAAAAYYY over leasing it. Had me set up in a blind where a bow hunter was set up about 25 yds from me and another rifle blind pointed in my direction. Didnt realize how everything was set up and going down until opening morning and 2 hunters parked in the same place where I was and were heading to the same stand. Long story short, Hunters beware!

Re: DEER LEASE SCAM ALERT [Re: bowassin] #5026721 03/18/14 04:28 PM
W
whitetailfanatic Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
Landowner proof is a good question!!

whitetail.fanatic@yahoo.com
Re: DEER LEASE SCAM ALERT [Re: bowassin] #5055967 04/05/14 10:39 PM
T
techzan Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
The guy in San Marcos who dk1051 is talking about is Charles Kenneth Gould. He got me a few weeks ago. Everything changed after I gave him the $150 for the hog hunt. Google his phone #(512)963-8745 and you will see all sorts of extremely disturbing things about him including a child sex arrest.

Re: DEER LEASE SCAM ALERT [Re: Cannon] #5113299 05/14/14 06:46 PM
N
Niko Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
We had a situation where an adjoining land owner's SIL leased out on one of our satellite timber tracts. It is a mature timber tract that doesn't need much managment and is several miles from the majority of our property, so I guess he figured we'd never notice.

The worst part was the man he took advantage of. The GW told me the guy had saved all year to have a place to take his son hunting. They had worked together to put in green fields and a couple of shooting houses, and then found out he had no rights to hunt. I met with him to see if his story was legitimate, and when explaining the situation this big ol guy starts crying about letting his son down, 10 yr old boy who had worked with his daddy every weekend to get the place ready and practiced his shooting all summer he was so excited.

As mad as I was at the guy that leased the property, I couldn't bring my self to crush that little boys' opportunity to make those memories with his dad. This will be the third year they have hunted the property for just the cost of an insurance policy.

Maybe I'm getting soft, but i was not about to take away their place to hunt, talk, and build a relationship they would cherish for a lifetime. Those who grew up hunting with their dad or granddad know what I'm talking about. I'm 40 with 2 degrees, but can promise you the most important lessons I ever learned were from my dad in a deer stand or sitting on the tailgate of a truck after a hard days work.

That's very nice of you

GOD has all the answers to your questions. It's your choice to follow his path or create your own.

May GOD Bless you all
Re: DEER LEASE SCAM ALERT [Re: bowassin] #5119378 05/20/14 12:31 AM
P
pedrov23 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Wanted: One gun for Lampasas area. One opening (one gun) on 21 +- acres. Gated and low fenced on 3 sides with a big tank to the right of the land (is not on my property but is contiguous to it and there is no fence separating). About 1 mile from Lampasas river. Wet weather creek on back of property. Deer, lots of dove, turkey, occasional Axis, occasional Fallow, occasional hog, yotes, coon. Mix of live oak, red oak, and, oh yeah, cedar. Pasture up front, slopes, cover, bottom land with lots of cover. Surrounded by 100s of acres of same. Two bow stands on property. 2 deer feeders, 3 deer hub blinds. I am installing an automatic watering system at front end of property. Leasee may use existing equipment. No facilities, no water or electric. Overnights OK but I don't want permanent campers on the property. I have lots of photos, if interested.

PeteV
Re: DEER LEASE SCAM ALERT [Re: Cannon] #5222406 07/28/14 05:47 PM
coa2222 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot

heck, this made me start to tear up and I am just reading it. good on you sir

Re: DEER LEASE SCAM ALERT [Re: coa2222] #5409287 11/10/14 01:21 AM
R
Roach Painting Co. Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Originally Posted By: wishiwasinthefield

heck, this made me start to tear up and I am just reading it. good on you sir

Good things happen to good people. You sir, are good people!

Re: DEER LEASE SCAM ALERT [Re: bowassin] #5513974 01/02/15 01:12 AM
C
CajunT Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Amen Brother - That's a Good Man

Re: DEER LEASE SCAM ALERT [Re: bowassin] #5584462 02/05/15 08:27 PM
D
DeyTookOurJerbz Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
Has anyone done business with Courvillesoutdoors.com? I've seen a few deer leases they have posted online and was just curious if anyone has had any experience with them? Was it good or bad?

Thanks in advance!

Re: DEER LEASE SCAM ALERT [Re: DeyTookOurJerbz] #5584485 02/05/15 08:35 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: DeyTookOurJerbz
Has anyone done business with Courvillesoutdoors.com? I've seen a few deer leases they have posted online and was just curious if anyone has had any experience with them? Was it good or bad?

Thanks in advance!

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5583866/Woodson_FM_road_1710

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: DEER LEASE SCAM ALERT [Re: bowassin] #5584713 02/05/15 10:04 PM
D
DeyTookOurJerbz Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
thats all i needed to see! Thanks for the heads up!

Re: DEER LEASE SCAM ALERT [Re: bowassin] #5686803 04/06/15 07:17 PM
M
MMarshall Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Thanks

Re: DEER LEASE SCAM ALERT [Re: Cajun Raider] #5706754 04/19/15 01:28 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Cajun Raider
Thanks for the heads up. This guy sounds like J D Cox reincarnated but just my personal opinion.
Is he still around? 30 years ago I was a coach and he was also coaching. Next I heard of him he was scamming people on deer hunts - surely he is out of the business??

You can't fix stupid
Re: DEER LEASE SCAM ALERT [Re: samo] #5997057 10/27/15 08:07 PM
S
Shump Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
Originally Posted By: samo
What should someone do to verify they are entering into a valid lease? If I was to meet someone like this man Shane Roberts on the property, he showed me around, I paid him and unknowingly signed a fraudulent lease.... what could I have requested from him to validate that he owns and has a right to lease the land? (which obviously in this situation he would be unable to produce)

Hey Guys, I'm fairly new to the group but I've been reading all your posts and it seems like a really good group of guys. I know there are other threads about good leases on here but it doesn't seem like anyone answered this guys question. And I have the same question, I'm new to the area and don't know anyone to ask and not sure where to look. The last thing I'd wanna do is actually find something and have no way to know if its a scam. Is there any foolproof way to verify before you sign and pay for the lease?

Re: DEER LEASE SCAM ALERT [Re: Shump] #5998070 10/28/15 05:16 AM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Shump
Originally Posted By: samo
What should someone do to verify they are entering into a valid lease? If I was to meet someone like this man Shane Roberts on the property, he showed me around, I paid him and unknowingly signed a fraudulent lease.... what could I have requested from him to validate that he owns and has a right to lease the land? (which obviously in this situation he would be unable to produce)

Hey Guys, I'm fairly new to the group but I've been reading all your posts and it seems like a really good group of guys. I know there are other threads about good leases on here but it doesn't seem like anyone answered this guys question. And I have the same question, I'm new to the area and don't know anyone to ask and not sure where to look. The last thing I'd wanna do is actually find something and have no way to know if its a scam. Is there any foolproof way to verify before you sign and pay for the lease?

I've only signed a couple leases solely myself (other leases I knew somebody that had already been on it for multiple years and already knew the broker and land owner prior to my "joining"); the following was my approach. I did pre-lease due diligence on the properties/land owners so I had expected answers to questions and responses to comments I cleverly threw into the conversations with the brokers. I felt the brokers were on the up and up and were being honest - there were no red flags but had there been I would have walked. I then asked to meet the land owners - again, if the brokers won't help, that's a red flag. Each request for an introduction was obliged. In my cases it was easy though since the owners lived either on or very near the properties being leased. Your mileage may vary. Another measure was to take pictures of brokers' drivers licenses (when exploring the properties I had already taken pictures of the brokers themselves). When leaving I took license plate pictures too. When I got back home I hit the Internet again.

Follow your gut. If you are suspicious walk away. If you're curious and know how to contact the owner then do so. The big thing though is don't let the broker pressure you into paying (regardless of signing anything)!

Having said all that, hopefully somebody else will come along with more/better info to help us all with this critical aspect of leasing.

-Mickey

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: DEER LEASE SCAM ALERT [Re: Cannon] #6115957 01/03/16 02:24 PM
F
floresrsr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F

You're a good man Cannon.

Once we have a war there is only one thing to do. It must be won. For defeat brings worse things than any that can ever happen in war.
Ernest Hemingway

Re: DEER LEASE SCAM ALERT [Re: bowassin] #6117892 01/04/16 04:40 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
2X on being a good man. One who I would want as a neighbor and friend.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: DEER LEASE SCAM ALERT [Re: bowassin] #6170619 02/05/16 04:21 PM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Just ask that you be introduced to the landowner. At the very least, ask to see the master lease agreement so you can get the owners name. Then go to the Tax office and see who is paying the taxes on the property. Contact the landowner to verify he leased his land to whom ever your dealing with. If the broker says no, walk away and contact the landowner anyway to verify the brokers agents status. If you get conformation from the landowner it will give you some assurance the deal is on the up and up. Even if the broker gives you a name and number for the land owner you still need to contact the tax office to verify it is truly the correct person.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: DEER LEASE SCAM ALERT [Re: bowassin] #6308926 05/24/16 01:06 AM
J
Jasonh355 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Hey,

I'm new to THF and am looking for an annual lease about 2 hours from Fort Worth. I am management and safety minded, and a father to a first time hunter that I'd like to continue making memories with. Please let me know if y'all are interested in helping me find the following:
- deer, hogs, dove
- about 100+ acres (for me)
- family friendly (me and my daughter)
- electrical for a small camper
I'd like to find a lease west/north west of Ft Worth; east of Abilene; south of Wichita Falls.

I know I'm getting in a little late in the game, but any help is appreciated.

Jason

Jason
Re: DEER LEASE SCAM ALERT [Re: Jasonh355] #6314284 05/28/16 02:04 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Jasonh355
Hey,

I'm new to THF and am looking for an annual lease about 2 hours from Fort Worth. I am management and safety minded, and a father to a first time hunter that I'd like to continue making memories with. Please let me know if y'all are interested in helping me find the following:
- deer, hogs, dove
- about 100+ acres (for me)
- family friendly (me and my daughter)
- electrical for a small camper
I'd like to find a lease west/north west of Ft Worth; east of Abilene; south of Wichita Falls.

I know I'm getting in a little late in the game, but any help is appreciated.

Jason

Wrong spot bud, but right forum. Start your own thread and more foils will read it up

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: DEER LEASE SCAM ALERT [Re: bowassin] #6759391 05/10/17 01:38 AM
M
mightberedneck Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Anyone heard of Joe Emmite managing a lease in Uvalde, Brisco Ranch?

Last edited by mightberedneck; 05/10/17 01:40 AM.
Re: DEER LEASE SCAM ALERT [Re: mightberedneck] #6779151 05/31/17 12:42 AM
C
Craw3773 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Originally Posted By: mightberedneck
Anyone heard of Joe Emmite managing a lease in Uvalde, Brisco Ranch?

I spoke with him half a dozen times in April. Wants $1,300 down before you even see property. He keeps $300 just to show it.

Sounded too fishy to me. I walked away, and obviously he still hasn't filled the lease, or he's just taking people's money.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide