Forums46
Topics538,031
Posts9,732,153
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Re: Qualifications For Killing Bucks on Your Lease??? [Re: BenBob] #5064344 04/11/14 12:46 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Gumby

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Qualifications For Killing Bucks on Your Lease??? [Re: rifleman] #5064349 04/11/14 12:49 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: rifleman
They sure shoot a lot of culls and mgmt 8s though. I'm loving STX having his new place to hunt now so he can mimick my mgmt techniques. whistle

Mimic your management techniqes.. what management? Not killing anything is not management hammer is just not killing anything.

That's the same thing you're doing with your bucks. rofl

So your killing spikes and does now bs

Re: Qualifications For Killing Bucks on Your Lease??? [Re: BenBob] #5064355 04/11/14 12:52 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
If not killing anything is management, then I have managed properties all over Texas for over 40 years. smile

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Qualifications For Killing Bucks on Your Lease??? [Re: BenBob] #5064357 04/11/14 12:54 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I didn't see a spike this yr while on stand which totally conflicts with the spawns of Gumby theory. You saw an older mgmt 8 you let walk.

Re: Qualifications For Killing Bucks on Your Lease??? [Re: stxranchman] #5064365 04/11/14 12:59 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Gumby

That's a healthy squatty 5yo right there.

Re: Qualifications For Killing Bucks on Your Lease??? [Re: BenBob] #5064375 04/11/14 01:07 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Re: Qualifications For Killing Bucks on Your Lease??? [Re: BenBob] #5064379 04/11/14 01:08 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
But I do have his twin down here for sure hammer

Re: Qualifications For Killing Bucks on Your Lease??? [Re: BMD] #5064477 04/11/14 01:50 AM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: BMD
3.5 is 3.5 now we gonna make exceptions? Maybe that 3.5 10pt is just as impressive to a hunter that has never taken one over 100". Cant have it both ways, not for all these rule following... Nevermind. rofl

is 3.5yo really 3.5yo when you are talking about deer 1000 miles apart and in drastically different climates, management/age structure-wise?

i already said that the trophy is in the eye of the beholder, the 3.5yo 8 i took for my first buck was very much a trophy to me at the time.

Last edited by jshouse; 04/11/14 01:51 AM.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Qualifications For Killing Bucks on Your Lease??? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5064481 04/11/14 01:52 AM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
If not killing anything is management, then I have managed properties all over Texas for over 40 years. smile

up

If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Qualifications For Killing Bucks on Your Lease??? [Re: stxranchman] #5064506 04/11/14 02:02 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

if you wanted pics you just had to ask, it's not like there's a shortage of them.

Re: Qualifications For Killing Bucks on Your Lease??? [Re: BenBob] #5065371 04/11/14 04:21 PM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W

My Gumby.

Re: Qualifications For Killing Bucks on Your Lease??? [Re: BenBob] #5091836 04/28/14 09:07 PM
T
Texmel Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
We have 5 guns on our lease and each gun can have guest who shoots off sponsors tags. Each gun is limited to one buck. If deer is legal it may be taken by gun/guest. Members are "working stiffs" and the high dollar stuff will be left to the high rollers. Generally the guest shoot spike and does as gun keeps his buck tag. Took my son last year and he got a buck first morning hunt. I was left with does/spike.

Re: Qualifications For Killing Bucks on Your Lease??? [Re: jshouse] #5092279 04/29/14 02:44 AM
M
maturner05 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
$2250 per gun on my lease. nothing under 15 inches and 8 points, or at least 3.5. If you shoot an undersized deer, you pony up $500. If you shoot 2 undersized deer, you are kicked off the lease. we're MLD level 3 and normally have a quota of around 75-100 doe to kill every year, so anyone who just wants to "meat hunt" is welcome to kill a doe.

Last edited by maturner05; 04/29/14 02:45 AM.

Is it duck season yet?
Re: Qualifications For Killing Bucks on Your Lease??? [Re: maturner05] #5093003 04/29/14 05:48 PM
D
DeadRooster Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Originally Posted By: maturner05
...so anyone who just wants to "meat hunt" is welcome to kill a doe.

OK...I'll take you up on that! grin

Re: Qualifications For Killing Bucks on Your Lease??? [Re: BenBob] #5095480 05/01/14 12:32 PM
M
mideon2000 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
If you want to manage a lease that is all fine and dandy, but a penalty is really overkill. I can see all these restrictions if you have a high fenced lease because the deer are going to be on the same property and not going anywhere (for the most part). But on a regular piece of land with standard cattle fencing? Please. Those deer are going to get shot somewhere else. And no it won't be shot by someone with no management practices, or someone who doesn't respect a trophy. It will be shot by someone who sees a nice buck and chooses to harvest the animal.

I only lie when I tell the truth.
Re: Qualifications For Killing Bucks on Your Lease??? [Re: mideon2000] #5095535 05/01/14 01:09 PM
B
BenBob Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: mideon2000
If you want to manage a lease that is all fine and dandy, but a penalty is really overkill. I can see all these restrictions if you have a high fenced lease because the deer are going to be on the same property and not going anywhere (for the most part). But on a regular piece of land with standard cattle fencing? Please. Those deer are going to get shot somewhere else. And no it won't be shot by someone with no management practices, or someone who doesn't respect a trophy. It will be shot by someone who sees a nice buck and chooses to harvest the animal.

Sort of silly to expect everyone to think just like you. Variety makes the world go round. If the rules of a certain lease don't fit you, go find another lease or abide by the rules.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Qualifications For Killing Bucks on Your Lease??? [Re: mideon2000] #5095702 05/01/14 03:14 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

not all of'em. not even some of the big ones.

Re: Qualifications For Killing Bucks on Your Lease??? [Re: mideon2000] #5095750 05/01/14 03:44 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

Not the case at all. We are on a 9000 acre lease and adjoin another 6000 acre lease all on the same ranch. Low fenced. We let 160-180 inch deer walk if they are not at least six and a half years old and they do not get shot. Now if you are on a small tract of land then yes, neighbors may shoot them. But again, it depends on the lease, ranch, and property size

You can't fix stupid
Re: Qualifications For Killing Bucks on Your Lease??? [Re: BenBob] #5097015 05/02/14 02:12 PM
M
mideon2000 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: BenBob

Sort of silly to expect everyone to think just like you. Variety makes the world go round. If the rules of a certain lease don't fit you, go find another lease or abide by the rules.

sort of silly that you think that i expect everyone think like me

Re: Qualifications For Killing Bucks on Your Lease??? [Re: BenBob] #5097022 05/02/14 02:14 PM
S
sethcros Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S

Re: Qualifications For Killing Bucks on Your Lease??? [Re: tlk] #5097023 05/02/14 02:15 PM
M
mideon2000 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: tlk

Not the case at all. We are on a 9000 acre lease and adjoin another 6000 acre lease all on the same ranch. Low fenced. We let 160-180 inch deer walk if they are not at least six and a half years old and they do not get shot. Now if you are on a small tract of land then yes, neighbors may shoot them. But again, it depends on the lease, ranch, and property size

yeah that does make sense. i totally missed the large tracts of land aspect. good point. i still dont get the fine though. id figure if it was a rule and it was broken then they dont get invited back

Re: Qualifications For Killing Bucks on Your Lease??? [Re: mideon2000] #5097056 05/02/14 02:33 PM
B
BenBob Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B

yeah that does make sense. i totally missed the large tracts of land aspect. good point. i still dont get the fine though. id figure if it was a rule and it was broken then they dont get invited back

If they want to pay the fine, we let them come back the first time. If they decide to leave, in most cases they are not going to pay the fine anyway. You would be surprised how many repeat offenders you have. Some people get excited over any showing of antlers and start blasting away. If it is a questionable buck, we usually rule in favor of the hunter the first time. You have to draw the line somewhere because if you do not, pretty soon people are shooting 2.5 year old bucks. Not everyone agrees on what a shooter is, just like everyone does not agree on what a safe driving speed is.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Qualifications For Killing Bucks on Your Lease??? [Re: BenBob] #5097302 05/02/14 05:40 PM
M
mideon2000 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: BenBob

If they want to pay the fine, we let them come back the first time. If they decide to leave, in most cases they are not going to pay the fine anyway. You would be surprised how many repeat offenders you have. Some people get excited over any showing of antlers and start blasting away. If it is a questionable buck, we usually rule in favor of the hunter the first time. You have to draw the line somewhere because if you do not, pretty soon people are shooting 2.5 year old bucks. Not everyone agrees on what a shooter is, just like everyone does not agree on what a safe driving speed is.

thats very true and well said. i see your point there. it makes more sense when you put it that way.

Re: Qualifications For Killing Bucks on Your Lease??? [Re: BenBob] #5097364 05/02/14 06:35 PM
B
BIG TIME Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
On my lease we are all related and have the same goal which is to grow bigger bucks. If one of us gets trigger happy and takes a younger buck that as good potential he or she might get picked on for the rest of the season but it is all in good fun and we are happy for them. We have decided that we don't want to take any buck that is less than 4-4.5 years old and less than 10 points.

Re: Qualifications For Killing Bucks on Your Lease??? [Re: BIG TIME] #5097369 05/02/14 06:42 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: BIG TIME
On my lease we are all related and have the same goal which is to grow bigger bucks. If one of us gets trigger happy and takes a younger buck that as good potential he or she might get picked on for the rest of the season but it is all in good fun and we are happy for them. We have decided that we don't want to take any buck that is less than 4-4.5 years old and less than 10 points.

Yes the Wall Of Campfire Shame is more effective than a fine at my place. We put baby bottles in their bed, give them a Bambi DVD....stuff like that. smile

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide