Print Thread
Scope mounting and boresighting-where? #5000970 03/02/14 06:55 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
J
Need to get a scope mounted and boresighted in Arl/Ft Worth, any suggestions where to take it? Also, what should I pay for this? Thanks

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Scope mounting and boresighting-where? [Re: Jimbo1] #5000996 03/02/14 07:12 PM
O
one73maro Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
O
They do this stuff at Alpine range. Not sure of the price but you could give them a call.

Re: Scope mounting and boresighting-where? [Re: Jimbo1] #5001154 03/02/14 09:31 PM
T
tom dfw area Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Ray's gun shop dallas

Re: Scope mounting and boresighting-where? [Re: Jimbo1] #5001230 03/02/14 10:28 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Is it a bolt action? Do it yourself.

Install the rings on the base as far apart as possible.
Place the scope in the rings with the magnification all the way up.
Support the rifle on a rifle vise, or bipod.
Close your eyes and shoulder the rifle to the most comfortable position.
Open your eyes. Do you have edge to edge clarity? If not the scope is too close or too far away, adjust as necessary.
When you get eye relief (that's what ^^all that^^ is) correct, place masking tape parrallel to the rings on the scope tube.
Remove the scope.
Remove the bolt.
Hang a plumb bob 50 yards away from a 1/2" rope (or a known level vertical line)
Look down the bore and make the bore "see" the vertical line/ plumb bob with a rear bag/ support under the rear of the stock.
Place a 6" level on the scope base
Make the base level (bipod is helpful) with what ever you can find to shim the legs of the bipod.
Place the scope back in the rings lined up with the tape you previously installed
Install the ring caps and the screws, but do not tighten
Rotate the scope until the vertical line of the reticle is parrallel with the vertical level 50 yards away.
Remove one ring screw
Apply LOW HOLD!!! Locktite to the screw, reinstall finger tight.
Remove the mirror screw on the same ring, repeat the Locktite
Do that for all 4, 8, or 12 ring cap screws.
Torque the screws to 1/2 the prescribed torque value.
Check the level again.
If it's level torque to the full torque value.
Support the rifle and make it look at a fixed object down the bore.
Rotate the elevation and windage knobs or turrets until the scope matches what you see down the bore.

Now you're mounted and bore sighted! And it works better than any gadget or gizmo a Gun shop is going to use. I can't tell you how many friends have brought me "bore sighted" rifles from a gun shop that wouldn't hit a house door at 100 yards. I removed the bolt and "bore sighted" old school as described and the next shot was within 4" of T.D.C.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Scope mounting and boresighting-where? [Re: J.G.] #5001249 03/02/14 10:39 PM
W
Wader Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Open your eyes. Do you have edge to edge clarity? If not the scope is too close or too far away, adjust as necessary.
When you get eye relief (that's what ^^all that^^ is) correct, place masking tape parrallel to the rings on the scope tube.
Remove the scope.
Remove the bolt.
Hang a plumb bob 50 yards away from a 1/2" rope (or a known level vertical line)
Look down the bore and make the bore "see" the vertical line/ plumb bob with a rear bag/ support under the rear of the stock.
Make the base level (bipod is helpful) with what ever you can find to shim the legs of the bipod.
Place the scope back in the rings lined up with the tape you previously installed
Rotate the scope until the vertical line of the reticle is parrallel with the vertical level 50 yards away.
Remove one ring screw
Check the level again.
Rotate the elevation and windage knobs or turrets until the scope matches what you see down the bore.

Now you're mounted and bore sighted! And it works better than any gadget or gizmo a Gun shop is going to use. I can't tell you how many friends have brought me "bore sighted" rifles from a gun shop that wouldn't hit a house door at 100 yards. I removed the bolt and "bore sighted" old school as described and the next shot was within 4" of T.D.C.

x2

Originally Posted by Robert A. Heinlein
A thousand reasoned opinions never equal to one case of diving in and finding out.
Re: Scope mounting and boresighting-where? [Re: Wader] #5001304 03/02/14 11:13 PM
B
bjh Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Make sure you never lap the rings, so you can deform the scope and scratch it!!!!!! nidea

Re: Scope mounting and boresighting-where? [Re: bjh] #5001406 03/03/14 12:22 AM
C
Chuck McDonald Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: bjh
Make sure you never lap the rings, so you can deform the scope and scratch it!!!!!! nidea
I have mounted 100s of scopes and never lapped them, I also have never had one deformed or scratched. If you doing that you are doing 1 of 2 things or both.

1. Your not using a torque driver
2. You bought cheap rings

Re: Scope mounting and boresighting-where? [Re: Wader] #5001414 03/03/14 12:27 AM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Wader
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Remove the scope.
Remove the bolt.
Remove one ring screw
Check the level again.

x2
x3. Been doing exactly this way for years cheers

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: Scope mounting and boresighting-where? [Re: Jimbo1] #5001647 03/03/14 02:34 AM
J
Jimbo1 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
J
Should have added that it's for a Marlin 336, lever action, just upgrading the scope that's on it now. Also, don't have the right equipment or space to do it myself, hence the request. Thanks

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Scope mounting and boresighting-where? [Re: Jimbo1] #5001910 03/03/14 05:46 AM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I do it as posted earlier. I have bore sighted many rifles that way and all have been within a few inches of perfect, usually just a little high. All you need is a bubble level and a torque wrench that adjusts in inch pounds. I set the gun on my desk and point it to an object out the window. I also don't lap the rings and never damage the scope nor leave rings marks.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Scope mounting and boresighting-where? [Re: Jimbo1] #5001982 03/03/14 12:30 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I'd get a chamber laser or disassemble the rifle enough to get the bolt out, and do as described. What tools do you not have? A F.A.T. wrench can be had from Academy, a 6" level well, any hardware store, even WalMart. To support the rifle, just get creative.

Or drive to Melissa and I'll do it for you.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Scope mounting and boresighting-where? [Re: J.G.] #5001991 03/03/14 12:44 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
If you provide the beer, I bet any number of Metroplex THF members would be happy to show you the ropes.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Scope mounting and boresighting-where? [Re: one73maro] #5002274 03/03/14 03:37 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: one73maro
They do this stuff at Alpine range. Not sure of the price but you could give them a call.

They charge $35.

But you can get one of those cheap bore sighter lasers at Academy for $20 and do it yourself. I do all of mine that way in my living room and it's easy.

Re: Scope mounting and boresighting-where? [Re: Chuck McDonald] #5002465 03/03/14 05:00 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: Chuck McDonald
Originally Posted By: bjh
I have mounted 100s of scopes and never lapped them, I also have never had one deformed or scratched. If you doing that you are doing 1 of 2 things or both.

1. Your not using a torque driver
2. You bought cheap rings
that's kind of like saying I don't like liver, never tried it but don't like it.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Scope mounting and boresighting-where? [Re: Jimbo1] #5002934 03/03/14 09:02 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
J
Thank's everyone, lively discussion. I think I will try to do it myself, just need to buy the torque wrench and boresighter. I do have a couple of Basspro gift cards in my wallet!

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Scope mounting and boresighting-where? [Re: Jimbo1] #5002949 03/03/14 09:09 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
just remember this is only going to get you on paper within 50yrds or so. Iv done the oldschool way as well you will be able to do it no problem its pretty simple

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide