Forums46
Topics538,916
Posts9,742,891
Members87,125
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What makes the perfect varmint hunting contest? [Re: dogcatcher] #4968353 02/11/14 10:13 PM
R
Ronnie Oneal Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Originally Posted By: 6mm284

Some of these guys can't play with your rules, they would get too tired only using hand calls. rofl

Quote:
Definitely not afraid to use the hand calls on a full day hunt, but being up 24hrs is already hard enough not to mention trying to blow a call at 3am when your dead tired. When I'm in a competition I'm in it to win it and mixing in a digital call with hand calls gives a larger variety of sounds that put the odds more on my side. I think the more sounds you have at your disposal just increases the chance of calling in an animal.

When everybody else is playing by the same rules, it equals the playing field for everyone. Or do you think the next guy has an advantage because the rules said hand calls only. It is a contest, since the rules apply to everyone, it shouldn't matter, the restrictions would effect every contestant equally. The results would show who is the best based on the set of rules, not based on how easy the requirements where. up

Its easy to say we are being soft by using a e call but when is the last time you blew a mouth call for 24 straight hours? And there is more to killing predators with a foxpro than just pushing a button. Mouth all you want but when we hunt more days a year than most people think about then I think we have a pretty good understanding of what it takes to be successful.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQa5cwBGes6Kp0cGQOj2Brw

NIGHT CREW TV on YouTube ☝️☝️☝️

https://m.facebook.com/nightcrewfans/

NIGHT CREW TV Facebook☝️☝️☝️
Re: What makes the perfect varmint hunting contest? [Re: Ronnie Oneal] #4968368 02/11/14 10:23 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Ronnie Oneal

Its easy to say we are being soft by using a e call but when is the last time you blew a mouth call for 24 straight hours? And there is more to killing predators with a foxpro than just pushing a button. Mouth all you want but when we hunt more days a year than most people think about then I think we have a pretty good understanding of what it takes to be successful.

Apparently reading comprehension isn't your forte either. The OP asked for suggestions for rules for a contest. I said a one day with an 8 hour daylight time limit and only hunt with hand calls. No where did I say you had to blow on a hand call for 24 hours. up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: What makes the perfect varmint hunting contest? [Re: dogcatcher] #4968388 02/11/14 10:31 PM
6mm284 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Originally Posted By: 6mm284

Some of these guys can't play with your rules, they would get too tired only using hand calls. rofl

Quote:
Definitely not afraid to use the hand calls on a full day hunt, but being up 24hrs is already hard enough not to mention trying to blow a call at 3am when your dead tired. When I'm in a competition I'm in it to win it and mixing in a digital call with hand calls gives a larger variety of sounds that put the odds more on my side. I think the more sounds you have at your disposal just increases the chance of calling in an animal.

When everybody else is playing by the same rules, it equals the playing field for everyone. Or do you think the next guy has an advantage because the rules said hand calls only. It is a contest, since the rules apply to everyone, it shouldn't matter, the restrictions would effect every contestant equally. The results would show who is the best based on the set of rules, not based on how easy the requirements where. up

He asked what would better a hunt and what rules would help. I guarantee if the West Tx Big Bobcat Contest went to hand calls only the entry's would cut in half. So that really wouldn't help make the contest better. The more entry's equals more money and let's face it, people want to win big money. By limiting it to hand calls you limit your average hunter that only uses e-callers therefore you limit entry fees and big money.

"Like" us @ Cottontail Blues on Facebook
Re: What makes the perfect varmint hunting contest? [Re: SKINNER PREDATOR HUNTER] #4968427 02/11/14 10:46 PM
A
aggiehunter03 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: SKINNER PREDATOR HUNTER
We have hunted the San Angelo big cat contest several years as well as a few contest that ran off a points system. They both are fun formats for sure. Here's my idea of a great predator contest. Use the same format as what Jeremy and the guys at the San Angelo contest are doing but change it slightly.

basically it would break down like this

5 greys or 5 coyotes to enter the heaviest bobcat... same as normal... that keeps it challenging

but here's the change up no more " most " animals for the jackpot.

Change the jackpots to heaviest fox,coyote,coon it's that simple!

What this will do is even the playing field even more for everybody to win some cash no matter how large or small your ranches are.

think about it if it's getting close to weigh Inn and you have 7 fox and 4 coyotes 2 coon for instance and your buddy calls and says he heard so and so team had 14 fox 6 coyotes 4 coons ... most likely you won't even go into the weigh Inn because of the long drive and extra cost in fuel just to win squat ... but with this format you will make that extra 2 hour or even 4 hour drive for a chance that your fox , coyote, or coon might just out weigh everybody else and you win 5000.00 jackpot off of one of them.

You see how this makes more people attend the contest and have a chance to win some cash... After all its a heavy bobcat contest anyways why not make it heavy jackpots too? I'm betting this format would draw even more entry's each hunt as well.

You can keep the contest 24 hours but I wish there was some way to start it earlier then 12:00 at lunch... you miss all your good morning calling that way.

Also keep it state wide and always allow mail in entry forms that helps allot.

Jeremy and the guys are doing a heck of a job and run one of the best contest in Texas. They got real smart by adding the raffle tickets to the contest this year too. Even if you don't win the contest you still have a chance to win some nice calling gear in the raffles for just showing back up to check inn.

The only problem I can see with this idea is the weighing of all the animals would take some time... that's why I would make a rule telling each team they can ONLY pick 2 of their biggest fox,coyotes,coons to be weighed in for the jackpots that way your only weighing 6 critters at the most for each team...it might take more man power or volunteers but I bet that wouldn't be a big issue.

that's just my 2 cents ... but I would attend that contest every year!

God bless Skinner

I like this idea a lot. That's the reason we don't enter San Angelo is where I'm hunting I can't kill 53 foxes, 20 yotes, or more than a handful of cats. A big cat in my area is 25 pounds and that won't touch heavy cat so without a shot at the sidepots I'm throwing away my money.

Re: What makes the perfect varmint hunting contest? [Re: Kannon] #4968486 02/11/14 11:14 PM
S
SKINNER PREDATOR HUNTER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Aggiehunter... that was the idea ... even if you don't kill a huge bobcat you can still have a good chance at winning a jackpot it does kinda make the chances of winning more about getting lucky though..lol

But the guys that kill 50 fox still have just as good a chance at winning a jackpot actually better then most they have 50 foxes to choose from for a heavy jackpot winner.

but it would grow the percentages of teams that enter each year.

As far as hand calls go... does anybody know which end the sound comes out of???

Facebook @
Take'em Out Predator Productions
www.Takemoutbowfishing.com

Going threw life without loving God is like a dull pencil it has no point
Re: What makes the perfect varmint hunting contest? [Re: Kannon] #4968759 02/12/14 01:18 AM
R
Ronnie Oneal Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Yeah reading wasnt my strong point violin

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQa5cwBGes6Kp0cGQOj2Brw

NIGHT CREW TV on YouTube ☝️☝️☝️

https://m.facebook.com/nightcrewfans/

NIGHT CREW TV Facebook☝️☝️☝️
Re: What makes the perfect varmint hunting contest? [Re: SKINNER PREDATOR HUNTER] #4969082 02/12/14 03:18 AM
A
AledoGYoung Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
Originally Posted By: SKINNER PREDATOR HUNTER
We have hunted the San Angelo big cat contest several years as well as a few contest that ran off a points system. They both are fun formats for sure. Here's my idea of a great predator contest. Use the same format as what Jeremy and the guys at the San Angelo contest are doing but change it slightly.

basically it would break down like this

5 greys or 5 coyotes to enter the heaviest bobcat... same as normal... that keeps it challenging

but here's the change up no more " most " animals for the jackpot.

Change the jackpots to heaviest fox,coyote,coon it's that simple!

What this will do is even the playing field even more for everybody to win some cash no matter how large or small your ranches are.

think about it if it's getting close to weigh Inn and you have 7 fox and 4 coyotes 2 coon for instance and your buddy calls and says he heard so and so team had 14 fox 6 coyotes 4 coons ... most likely you won't even go into the weigh Inn because of the long drive and extra cost in fuel just to win squat ... but with this format you will make that extra 2 hour or even 4 hour drive for a chance that your fox , coyote, or coon might just out weigh everybody else and you win 5000.00 jackpot off of one of them.

You see how this makes more people attend the contest and have a chance to win some cash... After all its a heavy bobcat contest anyways why not make it heavy jackpots too? I'm betting this format would draw even more entry's each hunt as well.

You can keep the contest 24 hours but I wish there was some way to start it earlier then 12:00 at lunch... you miss all your good morning calling that way.

Also keep it state wide and always allow mail in entry forms that helps allot.

Jeremy and the guys are doing a heck of a job and run one of the best contest in Texas. They got real smart by adding the raffle tickets to the contest this year too. Even if you don't win the contest you still have a chance to win some nice calling gear in the raffles for just showing back up to check inn.

The only problem I can see with this idea is the weighing of all the animals would take some time... that's why I would make a rule telling each team they can ONLY pick 2 of their biggest fox,coyotes,coons to be weighed in for the jackpots that way your only weighing 6 critters at the most for each team...it might take more man power or volunteers but I bet that wouldn't be a big issue.

that's just my 2 cents ... but I would attend that contest every year!

God bless Skinner

This sounds like a good one to me! It has my vote.

Re: What makes the perfect varmint hunting contest? [Re: Kannon] #4969137 02/12/14 03:48 AM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Make it a combo of fox, cats, dogs to = 5 to be able to enter
then
Heaviest Cat
Heaviest Dog
Heaviest Fox
Heaviest Coon

Or Do a heaviest Dog, Cat, Fox stringer of 3 or add the coon for 4

This would give persons in different regions a chance to win some money. It may take forever to weigh but more people might have something to weigh in

Re: What makes the perfect varmint hunting contest? [Re: Kannon] #4969208 02/12/14 04:26 AM
C
cattle69 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Why not put in a smallest animal side pot, is bigger always better? Unless you do most on side pots it is just a game of chance and no skill on biggest animal. IMO
I wish San Angelo would up the anty just a little and throw in a smallest cat pot as well..

[Linked Image]
President and cofounder of magical pellet club.
Re: What makes the perfect varmint hunting contest? [Re: Kannon] #4969824 02/12/14 04:22 PM
H
HotToddy Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
H
Boy, I sure like to see guys come in with 50 foxes and 20 dogs! Reckon how many years they'll be able to keep that up on their country? Big bobcat is a great contest, nuff said!! However the blanket contest in question is a points system contest. What is trying to be created is a contest that will appeal to as many hunters as possible! This contest is 100% payback. We don't even pull polygraph money out of the jackpots. And yes, I help with this contest. The debates over hand calling vs. mouth calling could rage on forever. Every team that enters uses a combination of both. Until last few years all contests I knew of were 24 hours. Blanket is 24 hours to allow the guys who have hustled and found some good country away from home can get it hunted. Many of our teams cover over 200 miles from beginning in dog country to ending in fox country! I plan on entering some 12 hour hunts, but they are evening and night hunts. However we love day calling and that is when we usually focus on our dogs. I guess I'm saying all of this so y'all understand how the points system hunters that I know approach a hunt.
Y'all all sound like knowledgable and experienced hunters, and I love nothing better than gleaning as much info as possible from other hunters. Hell I learn something new every time I hunt lol! Keep sending those positive ideas in and help us make a great points system hunt, we appreciate it! Come to blanket and give us a try March 1st and good hunting!

Re: What makes the perfect varmint hunting contest? [Re: Kannon] #4972761 02/14/14 01:24 AM
K
Kannon Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
K
What do y'all think about this?

Coon------1 points limit 5, bonus 1 points for limit
Gray fox--3 points limit 5, bonus 3 points for limit
Coyote----5 points limit 5, bonus 5 points for limit
Bobcat----7 points limit 5, bonus 7 points for limit
Red fox---8 points limit 5, bonus 8 points for limit

Re: What makes the perfect varmint hunting contest? [Re: Kannon] #4976607 02/16/14 03:49 PM
K
Kannon Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
K
Thanks for all the ideas!!!!!! Looking forward to this contest to keep improving!!

Re: What makes the perfect varmint hunting contest? [Re: Kannon] #4976834 02/16/14 07:31 PM
B
BruceWilliams Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I wouldn't weigh the heaviest animal for a sidepot. A guy who kills one or two fox and misses 5 still has chances at 5000 $. You think the guys bringing 35-50 in let many get away, they earned it. I promise. Same with the coyotes. The heavy cat anybody can kill that's what brings people to the hunt and makes it fun.

Re: What makes the perfect varmint hunting contest? [Re: Kannon] #4976998 02/16/14 10:11 PM
F
furdown Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
And they guy that called all night and all day, had a rough night, animals didn't cooperate, and only bagged a fox or two and a yote didn't earn anything bs

we have all had those nights where the wind and the animals kick our arse, but it don't mean we didn't earn the few that we bagged. Fox are flat stupid, put me in an area that has that kind of population and I bet we could knock a dent in them.

�There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never cared for anything else thereafter.�- Ernest Hemingway

Re: What makes the perfect varmint hunting contest? [Re: Kannon] #4977147 02/17/14 12:29 AM
B
BruceWilliams Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
That's why they call it hunting....nocking a dent yea but very few ppl can kill 35 plus or they would be doing it. That's my opinion that's it

Re: What makes the perfect varmint hunting contest? [Re: furdown] #4977916 02/17/14 02:42 PM
M
MarkE Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: furdown
And they guy that called all night and all day, had a rough night, animals didn't cooperate, and only bagged a fox or two and a yote didn't earn anything bs

Maybe someone should have a competition structured like pee-wee baseball so that everyone who partipates gets a trophy. If you have a tough night, at least you tried, right?

Come on guys!!! Mercy

Last edited by MarkE; 02/17/14 08:49 PM.
Re: What makes the perfect varmint hunting contest? [Re: BruceWilliams] #4978169 02/17/14 05:05 PM
N
nastynate Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
Originally Posted By: BruceWilliams
I wouldn't weigh the heaviest animal for a sidepot. A guy who kills one or two fox and misses 5 still has chances at 5000 $. You think the guys bringing 35-50 in let many get away, they earned it. I promise. Same with the coyotes. The heavy cat anybody can kill that's what brings people to the hunt and makes it fun.

That's why they call it hunting....nocking a dent yea but very few ppl can kill 35 plus or they would be doing it. That's my opinion that's it

I have to agree with Bruce... you have good nights, bad nights, and you have to take advantage of what shows up in your sights. I've hunted with guys who missed alot of shots, and why take away from the guys that do have a legendary hunt only be taken away from them because one guy shot one fox that weighed an ounce more. Nah, keep bringing in the big numbers.

Life is too short to drink cheap booze and argue with stupid people!
Re: What makes the perfect varmint hunting contest? [Re: Kannon] #4978616 02/17/14 09:16 PM
B
BruceWilliams Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
K guy who kills 2 fox or coyotes another kills 20 fox or coyotes the guy with 2 has one weighing 2 ounces more......who should get sidepot for that particular specie? Simple add the weights don't take one weight that just doesn't make any sense for that kind of money...numbers win

Last edited by BruceWilliams; 02/17/14 09:45 PM.
Re: What makes the perfect varmint hunting contest? [Re: Kannon] #4982481 02/19/14 10:09 PM
L
Lipan Creep Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
Id like to see a heaviest house cat pot. I'd set up a few stands around my neighbors barn.

Re: What makes the perfect varmint hunting contest? [Re: MarkE] #4984733 02/21/14 01:52 AM
F
furdown Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: MarkE
Originally Posted By: furdown

Maybe someone should have a competition structured like pee-wee baseball so that everyone who partipates gets a trophy. If you have a tough night, at least you tried, right?

Come on guys!!! Mercy

No dude that's not what I'm saying. Not even close. All I'm saying is when you worked your arse off and things didn't work, that doesn't mean you did earn anything. That's all, no crybaby sh#! like your insinuating.

�There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never cared for anything else thereafter.�- Ernest Hemingway

Re: What makes the perfect varmint hunting contest? [Re: BruceWilliams] #4984780 02/21/14 02:11 AM
F
furdown Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F

It's all about the country you are hunting. Head out toward Sanderson, it's covered in fox. It's where you hunt and how much land you have. But then again we are talking about fox, they are dumb, don't scare as bad and come back after they are scared off, run into the truck, yep has happened. I would love to get out in some fox country just because it's generally easier hunting. The question is what makes a better hunt. Now tell me how many people around have the kind of country to bag that many animals. What's that going to do for entries, guess what, lower them as there's those few teams that can do that, and most won't stand a chance. Angelo is different as to how much it pays out, but smaller ones would suffer I'd guess. I will say that it doesn't matter to me how they would do the side pots, if ya don't like it don't hunt it.

Re: What makes the perfect varmint hunting contest? [Re: Kannon] #4984792 02/21/14 02:17 AM
dogdown23 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
To me what makes the perfect varmint hunting contest is winning it..

Dogdown

The only thing that'll stop a bad man with a gun, is a good man with a gun.
Re: What makes the perfect varmint hunting contest? [Re: Kannon] #4984851 02/21/14 02:47 AM
V
varmit_master Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
V
Wish we had them here. That would be fun.

Re: What makes the perfect varmint hunting contest? [Re: Kannon] #4984914 02/21/14 03:35 AM
K
Kannon Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
K
Y'all just come to Blanket and hunt our contest!! Help us make it your favorite contest in the state we will do our best!!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide