Forums46
Topics538,158
Posts9,733,661
Members87,071
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
does anybody know custom gunsmiths??? Left eye dominant shooter #4964806 02/10/14 05:45 AM
B
bigboy17 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
i've got a unique problem i like to hunt and i have a left eye dominance but am right handed i was wondering if i could locate a custom gunsmith to build me a custom rifle for deer/hog hunts that will empty the cartridge to the left instead of the standard right...not looking for an immediate construction i have to get some money made ready and am looking to see if it is at all possible

S.J.C.
Re: does anybody know custom gunsmiths??? Left eye dominant shooter [Re: bigboy17] #4964840 02/10/14 06:29 AM
T
TexFlip Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Left handed AR with ambi controls would be a fairly easy solution. Not understanding why you want it to eject to the left if you are shooting right though.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: does anybody know custom gunsmiths??? Left eye dominant shooter [Re: bigboy17] #4964845 02/10/14 06:34 AM
B
bigboy17 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
i'm left eye dominant meaning my left eye is the eye i lock on target with so id need a gun that ejects to the left to avoid shells in my face.

S.J.C.
Re: does anybody know custom gunsmiths??? Left eye dominant shooter [Re: bigboy17] #4964846 02/10/14 06:36 AM
B
bigboy17 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
to elaborate if i shoot with my right hand and use my right eye to lock on target i miss by a mile

S.J.C.
Re: does anybody know custom gunsmiths??? Left eye dominant shooter [Re: bigboy17] #4964893 02/10/14 11:23 AM
J
ju993rnaut Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Being s southpaw, I've never had a problem with brass hitting me in the face from any AR or bolt gun I've shot. I did finally buy myself a left handed rem 700 a few years ago. A few companies produce left hand guns: (bolt guns)Remington, browning, tikka, savage and Rock River makes a LH AR. But the answer to your question is yes. A good gunsmith can build you a LH bolt action rifle, or a right hand left ejection rifle

Re: does anybody know custom gunsmiths??? Left eye dominant shooter [Re: bigboy17] #4964967 02/10/14 01:23 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
So you shoot left handed, correct?

Shoot a left handed rifle. I don't get what the big problem is here.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: does anybody know custom gunsmiths??? Left eye dominant shooter [Re: bigboy17] #4965238 02/10/14 03:30 PM
S
Strongbad Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
As far as bolt guns are concerned most if not all of the custom action mfgs offer a right bolt, left port action... that's exactly as it sounds. You load/eject from the left, and the bolt is standard right hand style. They also have it in reverse, left bolt right port. There are even dual port actions with either left or right bolts, then you can load in one port and eject through the opposite port. All of the actions in question are of the highest quality and would build a fantastic rifle. However none of them are cheap. You'd need to decide on the specifics of your build, exactly how you intend to use the action, etc. then go from there. However $1200 would be a good number to work off of for a custom action as a starting point.

Re: does anybody know custom gunsmiths??? Left eye dominant shooter [Re: Strongbad] #4965293 02/10/14 03:52 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted By: Strongbad
As far as bolt guns are concerned most if not all of the custom action mfgs offer a right bolt, left port action... that's exactly as it sounds. You load/eject from the left, and the bolt is standard right hand style. They also have it in reverse, left bolt right port. There are even dual port actions with either left or right bolts, then you can load in one port and eject through the opposite port. All of the actions in question are of the highest quality and would build a fantastic rifle. However none of them are cheap. You'd need to decide on the specifics of your build, exactly how you intend to use the action, etc. then go from there. However $1200 would be a good number to work off of for a custom action as a starting point.

^^^^ This....some to look at would be BAT, Kelbly, Defiance, Borden, Stiller and Pierce...I personally would look in that order but that is an opinion when you get to that level they are all good.

If I understand correctly you want to work the bolt with your right hand but have the cases exit the left side...that would be right bolt/left port when you start looking.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: does anybody know custom gunsmiths??? Left eye dominant shooter [Re: bigboy17] #4965313 02/10/14 04:01 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
I have the same issue. Left eye right hand. I got my first left handed rifle about a year ago and am now wanting to switch all my rifles to left hand. It was awkward at first but after 20 or so rounds I was ready to switch. Picking up the left bolt is just a little time behind the wheel.

Re: does anybody know custom gunsmiths??? Left eye dominant shooter [Re: Judd] #4966389 02/11/14 12:44 AM
B
bigboy17 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
Originally Posted By: Judd

^^^^ This....some to look at would be BAT, Kelbly, Defiance, Borden, Stiller and Pierce...I personally would look in that order but that is an opinion when you get to that level they are all good.

If I understand correctly you want to work the bolt with your right hand but have the cases exit the left side...that would be right bolt/left port when you start looking.
you have it spot on i have a right hand dominance but am a left eye dominant shooter so its a far mor accurate shot with the left eye so i'd need to look down the barrel with my left eye and the problem with the majority of rifles (that i've looked at anyway) the ejected cartridge comes out right by my face and the question about the custom build is i have arthritis and the left eye dominance i need something relatively easy to shoot that wont damage my shoulder, and im a big guy with an seven foot wing span so it may or may not be easier to get it custom fitted to my big arms

S.J.C.
Re: does anybody know custom gunsmiths??? Left eye dominant shooter [Re: ju993rnaut] #4966513 02/11/14 01:46 AM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: ju993rnaut
Being s southpaw, I've never had a problem with brass hitting me in the face from any AR or bolt gun I've shot. I did finally buy myself a left handed rem 700 a few years ago. A few companies produce left hand guns: (bolt guns)Remington, browning, tikka, savage and Rock River makes a LH AR. But the answer to your question is yes. A good gunsmith can build you a LH bolt action rifle, or a right hand left ejection rifle

+1. I shoot left handed, and have never owned a left hand rifle. I shoot right handed rifles, never had a shell come close enough to my face to worry me.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: does anybody know custom gunsmiths??? Left eye dominant shooter [Re: bigboy17] #4966656 02/11/14 02:45 AM
donswin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I have the same problem. I use rifles with ambi stocks for comfort and shoot either right or left handed depending on the shot. If I'm looking through a scope, it doesn't matter. With a shotgun, I have to use a special tube front sight so I can keep both eyes open - or shoot it left handed.

For some reason, I can shoot long guns equally well from either shoulder but pistols are definitely right hand dominant.

Re: does anybody know custom gunsmiths??? Left eye dominant shooter [Re: bigboy17] #4966722 02/11/14 03:27 AM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted By: bigboy17
Originally Posted By: Judd

you have it spot on i have a right hand dominance but am a left eye dominant shooter so its a far mor accurate shot with the left eye so i'd need to look down the barrel with my left eye and the problem with the majority of rifles (that i've looked at anyway) the ejected cartridge comes out right by my face and the question about the custom build is i have arthritis and the left eye dominance i need something relatively easy to shoot that wont damage my shoulder, and im a big guy with an seven foot wing span so it may or may not be easier to get it custom fitted to my big arms

Since you're in Ft Worth give Jon Trammel in Breckenridge a call. He is a great guy and good smith. He can build you the rifle you need and get you a stock that will fit. If you drive out there and see him ask to see my Panda that he has...it is a right bolt/left port Kelbly action that he is rebarreling for me. It isn't the stock you want but you can work the action and see if it would work for you.

Oh and if this is something you are wanting for this next season you need to get stuff ordered. I waited 8 months on one of my barrels and I hear actions can be even longer. Everything is stupid right now...

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: does anybody know custom gunsmiths??? Left eye dominant shooter [Re: bigboy17] #4966757 02/11/14 03:48 AM
W
Wader Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
I am right handed and left eyed and I just close my left eye when shooting rifles but my right eye is good just not dominate. Now shooting pistols is another story, I shoot right handed with my left eye with both eyetop open. And yes I get funny looks when someone notices. Even had people try to "correct" me.

-ww

Originally Posted by Robert A. Heinlein
A thousand reasoned opinions never equal to one case of diving in and finding out.
Re: does anybody know custom gunsmiths??? Left eye dominant shooter [Re: bigboy17] #4966830 02/11/14 04:12 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
My son shoots left handed although I shoot all the same guns right handed, so they are all "right handed" guns. This includes a savage .243, a ruger 10/22, and m&p 15 that he shoots....never had any issues with brass hitting him in the face.

Btw, he is fully right handed.

I am still not quite sure if you are saying you shoot left handed with your left eye or if you are shooting right handed with your left eye?? Not that it matters, this your money and you want to spend it so have at it...

I don't know any custom gunsmiths

Re: does anybody know custom gunsmiths??? Left eye dominant shooter [Re: Texas buckeye] #4967014 02/11/14 07:12 AM
B
bigboy17 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
My son shoots left handed although I shoot all the same guns right handed, so they are all "right handed" guns. This includes a savage .243, a ruger 10/22, and m&p 15 that he shoots....never had any issues with brass hitting him in the face.

Btw, he is fully right handed.

I am still not quite sure if you are saying you shoot left handed with your left eye or if you are shooting right handed with your left eye?? Not that it matters, this your money and you want to spend it so have at it...

I don't know any custom gunsmiths
i shoot a left handed bow but im right handed the reason i shoot a left handed bow is i can hit the target but it comes with pulling to the left a few inches hence the reason for a left handed bow because the peep hole is on the left side, if i shoot a rifle and its a long shot i have to zone or lock in with my left eye otherwise i miss by a mile a shotgun i can shoot with both eyes open due to (typically) short ranged shots as i use it for dove and quail.

S.J.C.
Re: does anybody know custom gunsmiths??? Left eye dominant shooter [Re: bigboy17] #4967467 02/11/14 03:39 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You can learn to make your body shoot left handed easier than you can make your eyes change dominance. I'm a left handed shooter (rifle, shotgun, pistol, and bow) since I'm left eye dominant and left handed. I forced myself to learn to shoot right handed. We are required to shoot support side in matches, so I wanted to get good at it. Plus there are hunting shots off to your left side that you need to shoot right handed. It is very do-able.

I was tasked with working up a load for a firend's Thompson 7 Rem Mag, and it had a right handed thumbhole stock. A few rounds shooting it left handed and not properly managind recoil, I switched to all right handed. Still managed to turn it 3/4 MOA groups at 300 yards shooting right handed.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: does anybody know custom gunsmiths??? Left eye dominant shooter [Re: bigboy17] #4968170 02/11/14 08:57 PM
H
HorizonFirearms Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Get a stiller action right load left eject and have a custom built, you will be plenty happy. Get what you want not just what may work. My opinion

Re: does anybody know custom gunsmiths??? Left eye dominant shooter [Re: bigboy17] #4968266 02/11/14 09:39 PM
G
Geezer Ranger Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
A left hand magazine loaded Tikka T3 or Sako 85 would solve your problem for a lot less money than a custom job.

texas I am allergic to stupidity. You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts someone.
Re: does anybody know custom gunsmiths??? Left eye dominant shooter [Re: Geezer Ranger] #4968412 02/11/14 10:41 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Geezer Ranger
A left hand, magazine loaded, Tikka T3 or Sako 85 would solve your problem for a lot less money than a custom job.

^^This^^

Not a fan of how Stiller bolts jam when sliding them toward the chamber. I don't want to have to think to keep the bolt lined up perfectly when cycling quickly.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: does anybody know custom gunsmiths??? Left eye dominant shooter [Re: Geezer Ranger] #4968764 02/12/14 01:20 AM
B
bigboy17 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
Originally Posted By: Geezer Ranger
A left hand magazine loaded Tikka T3 or Sako 85 would solve your problem for a lot less money than a custom job.

how easy are they to shoot because i have a whiplash injury on my left shoulder from an old car wreck with arthritus as well and i dont want to further damage my shoulder, keep in mind i can shoot a 12 gauge shot gun with no kick back, if it has aboutt the same kick i can handle it just fine

S.J.C.
Re: does anybody know custom gunsmiths??? Left eye dominant shooter [Re: bigboy17] #4968811 02/12/14 01:37 AM
G
Geezer Ranger Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
If you can handle a 12 ga you should do fine with one of these rifles. They have good recoil pads and you will only feel it the most when you are sighting in on the bench. A good mechanical rest can help you on the bench with the sighting in part.

texas I am allergic to stupidity. You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts someone.
Re: does anybody know custom gunsmiths??? Left eye dominant shooter [Re: bigboy17] #4968864 02/12/14 01:57 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You could also have the muzzle threaded and add a JEC Customs brake.

The argument that they're too loud is wasted on me. We should all be wearing hearing protection, anyways.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: does anybody know custom gunsmiths??? Left eye dominant shooter [Re: bigboy17] #4969283 02/12/14 05:38 AM
B
bigboy17 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
the only other question i have is do where are their prices and who deals them if anybody does in dfw?

S.J.C.
Re: does anybody know custom gunsmiths??? Left eye dominant shooter [Re: bigboy17] #4969527 02/12/14 01:54 PM
G
Geezer Ranger Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Elk Castle in West Fort Worth has Tikka and Sako, new and used.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide