Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Deer Lease Reality Question [Re: shightower] #4939295 01/28/14 06:37 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
I'm so glad I don't have to deal with anyone anymore on ANY of the places I hunt. It took years to get this way, makes it very enjoyable. I used to have to kiss arse with our ranch ramrod. See ya' Jim F. Hope you're doing well. bolt

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Deer Lease Reality Question [Re: shightower] #4939438 01/28/14 07:24 PM
S
shightower Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
The lease that I'am on is I guess a serious lease. I know I take it serious. All though some do not, but everyone is respectfull of the others intentions. On my lease your are allowed one guest.(wife, kid, friend, what ever) Where it is getting confusing is guys on the lease have a wife and a kid/kids. The wife doesn't hunt but comes along and the kid hunts. I think thats awsome but>>>>>
That is not one guest!!! that is two. So I have to be the jerk and try to explain this to a family that wants to be together. Its not fun and almost ruins it for me.

Last edited by shightower; 01/28/14 07:25 PM.
Re: Deer Lease Reality Question [Re: shightower] #4939596 01/28/14 08:27 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: shightower
The lease that I'am on is I guess a serious lease. I know I take it serious. All though some do not, but everyone is respectfull of the others intentions. On my lease your are allowed one guest.(wife, kid, friend, what ever) Where it is getting confusing is guys on the lease have a wife and a kid/kids. The wife doesn't hunt but comes along and the kid hunts. I think thats awsome but>>>>>
That is not one guest!!! that is two. So I have to be the jerk and try to explain this to a family that wants to be together. Its not fun and almost ruins it for me.

yeah that is a tough one - I have to deliver the same news at times - that is why we do the one family weekend -

we will allow a spouse and a young child to come - problem is where do you draw the line? What if they have two kids? I love families hunting and kids but on a serious trophy lease it can be an issue with too many people there - so again depends on the purpose of the lease

You can't fix stupid
Re: Deer Lease Reality Question [Re: BMD] #4940116 01/29/14 12:07 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: BMD
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: BMD
But we agree on almost everything else smile

Your lease isn't serious...you play on your phone all day and wait for your daughter to get there so you can tag along while she actually hunts trout

You are correct though, there are some leases that are a mixture of both...or serious leases that are kid friendly. Most the serious leases I have been on or been too didn't allow much "extra" activity that is associated with kids being around.

cheers There is only four of us so no reason for all the headaches, I still don't get how these guys hunt with 10 or 15 or more just amazes me

It's not that bad. I'm a guest on a place now that has 42. When I show up there'll be a handful of members open their stands and permits up for me to shoot. It's a very clique oriented place, but it's fun with good deer.

Re: Deer Lease Reality Question [Re: shightower] #4940474 01/29/14 02:24 AM
B
bigjoe8565 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
We can bring guest or family, but they're required to hunt off my tag. No guest or family is allowed opening weekend.

Re: Deer Lease Reality Question [Re: shightower] #4940523 01/29/14 02:51 AM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I am so thankful for growing up in a small town where my deer hunting was a bike's ride away. Deer camp was the local bar for us. And, we got to sleep in our own beds every night. Oh, there were no lease fees, all the farmers let us hunt for free. Only cost about $30 for a tag. I sure miss those days.

I did enjoy my deer camp days in Texas/Oklahoma too. I can't imagine not having guests at the cabin to bs with each evening. Seems I do more Bs'ing and drinking than hunting in that camp though.....

Re: Deer Lease Reality Question [Re: shightower] #4940648 01/29/14 03:47 AM
M
mark in tx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
A family friendly lease sounds like a good marketing opportunity for a larger place that needs slots filled.

Re: Deer Lease Reality Question [Re: mark in tx] #4940752 01/29/14 05:12 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: mark in tx
A family friendly lease sounds like a good marketing opportunity for a larger place that needs slots filled.

Pretty sure it isn't too hard to fill any slots on a lease in most parts of Texas, not much marketing needed.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Deer Lease Reality Question [Re: shightower] #4940789 01/29/14 06:04 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Would be suprised, know of several with 10-20 slots open that can't get filled. Folks just don't have the $ in the area to get them filled.

Re: Deer Lease Reality Question [Re: tlk] #4940833 01/29/14 10:48 AM
D
DoubleTrouble Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: tlk

yeah that is a tough one - I have to deliver the same news at times - that is why we do the one family weekend -

we will allow a spouse and a young child to come - problem is where do you draw the line? What if they have two kids? I love families hunting and kids but on a serious trophy lease it can be an issue with too many people there - so again depends on the purpose of the lease

I am glad I do not have to worry about that.....kids are the future of this sport!!!! I take whoever I want wherever I want! We scratch out a better than average deer from tine to time too.

Re: Deer Lease Reality Question [Re: DoubleTrouble] #4940854 01/29/14 12:08 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: DoubleTrouble
Originally Posted By: tlk

I am glad I do not have to worry about that.....kids are the future of this sport!!!! I take whoever I want wherever I want! We scratch out a better than average deer from tine to time too.

Nothing ever against kids hunting - both of mine were brought up hunting. My 6 grandkids doing the same. There is a time and a place and as stated before, depends on the objectives of any particular lease. Some are set up for serious trophy hunting with limited guest and others are set up for lots of guest - you are correct: kids are the future of hunting

You can't fix stupid
Re: Deer Lease Reality Question [Re: shightower] #4941224 01/29/14 03:35 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
I don't understand the position of only one family member allowed at one time. If the kids aren't running around in the pasture and stay in camp, what's wrong with that? Every lease I've ever been on allowed the WHOLE immediate family to be there. Thanksgivings were a big blow-out with all the trimmings.

Don't text and drive.
Re: Deer Lease Reality Question [Re: shightower] #4941231 01/29/14 03:37 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
And we were serious hunters. What does that have to do with anything?

Don't text and drive.
Re: Deer Lease Reality Question [Re: Erathkid] #4941316 01/29/14 04:24 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Erathkid

I hear ya but it has to do with what the members agree to in the rules. They can all agree on and make it a rule to only allow matching camo if they wish. If somebody does not care about matching camo then they can go hunt somewhere else.

To be determined
Re: Deer Lease Reality Question [Re: Erathkid] #4941830 01/29/14 08:18 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Not all hunters want a bunch of kids running around camp - some are single, some are older, whatever. So having bunches of kids and people in camp is not what every hunter wants. Nothing wrong with either way - depends on how the lease is set up

You can't fix stupid
Re: Deer Lease Reality Question [Re: shightower] #4941841 01/29/14 08:23 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Seems to be a reoccurring theme...if it isn't the way you like it or agree with, it must be wrong and stupid confused2

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Deer Lease Reality Question [Re: TurkeyHunter] #4941946 01/29/14 09:10 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter

I hear ya but it has to do with what the members agree to in the rules. They can all agree on and make it a rule to only allow matching camo if they wish. If somebody does not care about matching camo then they can go hunt somewhere else.

We have a winner! Know the lease rules before joining, if you don't agree, find a different lease. If I was a Land Owner (I wish)making lease rules, the more kids the better. Bring your kids, 1, 2, or 10. They must hunt with you for safety reasons. Wives at the lease? Why not? They are probably a hell of a lot better to look at than your ugly mug. Hunting should be a family affair. I would also think that non-family friends during off season doing some swine population control would be a bonus. Those are my thoughts in my own little ideal world of course. BTW, I'll be looking for a lease like this for 2014 if anybody knows of one.

Re: Deer Lease Reality Question [Re: shightower] #4941954 01/29/14 09:14 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I freely admit I am a young(ish) codger. My kids are 17 and 19. I loved being around my kids' friends when they were younger. Nowadays, not so much. I love the peace and quiet. A bunch of kids running around shrieking and whining would defeat the whole purpose of having the place. Our lease growing up allowed us kids to go for 5 days during Thanksgiving only. We really looked forward to it and didn't seem to suffer much. I actually think it heightened the anticipation and enjoyment.

I'm sure my attitude will change if I am ever blessed with grandkids. smile

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Deer Lease Reality Question [Re: shightower] #4942120 01/29/14 10:12 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Last lease I had was like this.

Only person who could shoot was the lease member him/herself. You could bring your spouse, girlfriend, child, or most any person who could speak German was ok, but that was it.

The people you brought were not allowed to hunt at all.

Most people would think it sucked, we thought it was great. I was on the lease with my dad brother and uncle. My brother and I paid our own spaces on the lease, not dads tags.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Deer Lease Reality Question [Re: shightower] #4942462 01/30/14 01:10 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Hunting for me is just not the same without family and friends to share the experience with. If this is important to you, you should make sure that you sign on with your eyes wide open and a clear understanding of what you can and can't do. Our lease allows family and friends. If they go hunting, they hunt with the lease member. If they want to explore or hike or take pictures etc.... they do it with the lease member. The lease member is responsible to make sure that their activities never interfere with other members hunting or hunting area. Trophy animals are only available to lease members. Hogs, varmits, and approved management deer are available to guests and family, but only while hunting with the lease member.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Deer Lease Reality Question [Re: shightower] #4942885 01/30/14 04:26 AM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Our set up on 3000 acres works okay. Family is allowed after thanksgiving and hunt off your tags. But with the size of the lease and family invited we could have up to 20 people out there any given weekend. We've just figured to set our blinds well away from the traffic, and enjoy some dinners at our camper instead of the central cabin. With such a big lease, there are a few guys we hang with, help each other out. The rest of the guys are related so for them it is always family. No issues with that.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Deer Lease Reality Question [Re: txshntr] #4942903 01/30/14 04:36 AM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: mark in tx

Pretty sure it isn't too hard to fill any slots on a lease in most parts of Texas, not much marketing needed.

If the price is right, not too far to travel and there are plenty of game, you are correct. I leased my place to the first group that saw it and have a 10 to 20 person waiting list for it in case the current guys don't renew.

Re: Deer Lease Reality Question [Re: Erathkid] #4946136 01/31/14 08:37 PM
J
JRPurvis Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
I don't understand the position of only one family member allowed at one time. If the kids aren't running around in the pasture and stay in camp, what's wrong with that? Every lease I've ever been on allowed the WHOLE immediate family to be there. Thanksgivings were a big blow-out with all the trimmings.

The tolerance for kids varies widely. Even some that love kids may be going to deer camp to get away from the family, and want a very different environment. Deer camp means different things to different people, but I think we can all agree that deer camp with kids present is likely to be different than deer camp with no kids.
I'm thinking about how different my friends act when kids, or grandkids, are around. I like hanging out with them, but when the kids or grandkids are around, their personality changes, and they expect me to change as well. Not everyone is willing to change because someone else wanted their kids to tag along.

I'd leave a lease rather than put up with kids regularly hanging around the camp area, regardless of whether they were hunting or not. If a member wants to bring an occasional guest and let them hunt from his blind, I'd accept it. Bringing a guest of any type that just hangs around the camp and doesn't hunt would be a no-go for me. And if someone shows up more than a couple times a season, they need to be a member. I don't care if they don't want to hunt - that's their problem, not mine. It's no different than if the member chooses not to shoot anything because they aren't seeing the "right" buck.

To me, it's a hunting lease, not a campground or vacation spot. If you want a family vacation spot, go to a state park. It's also not a drinking lease, card lease, or nap lease, which is what most people I know really use them for. Yep, I'm strongly in the serious deer camp group.

Last edited by JRPurvis; 01/31/14 08:38 PM.

Deer quality is not measured by antler size
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide