Print Thread
The Learning Begins #4929313 01/23/14 09:03 PM
H
Humannpower Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
H
Just ordered the Dokken Retriver Puppy training video so I can learn how to train my pup when I get him/her. I plan on getting the other two Dokken DVD's when I'm ready for them. Anybody have suggestions on other material? Plan on training him/her to retrieve Dove and Ducks.

Originally Posted By: M Bennet
Iv got hogs an can show you a good time.

Re: The Learning Begin [Re: Humannpower] #4929316 01/23/14 09:03 PM
J
jdk1985 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Good luck

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: The Learning Begin [Re: Humannpower] #4929326 01/23/14 09:08 PM
T
TrackQuack Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Back to basics, Robert Milner

Re: The Learning Begin [Re: Humannpower] #4929841 01/24/14 12:30 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Smartworks.

[Linked Image]

Re: The Learning Begin [Re: Humannpower] #4929868 01/24/14 12:39 AM
H
huck18 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Freddy King from Echo calls has an entire 27 video program on his you tube channel. It's free and it's similar to Smartworks or Total Retriver Training. Full step by step program from a young dog learning basic obedience to a fully trained blind running dog.

Re: The Learning Begin [Re: Humannpower] #4929970 01/24/14 01:12 AM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I watched Water Dog dvd and read Ten Minute Retriever. My dog was on hand signals at 6 months and doing very well at 8 months. Ten minutes a day is the key. In reality, you have to constantly train your dog to keep it doing the right things. They pick up bad habits very easy.

Re: The Learning Begin [Re: Humannpower] #4930113 01/24/14 02:08 AM
B
BobMac Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Bill Hillman puppy training.

Chase perfection and accept excellence- Vince Lombardi

Re: The Learning Begin [Re: Humannpower] #4930121 01/24/14 02:10 AM
T
tjhook Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Yea freddy kings videos are great..used them in my first dog and he is great...I recommend him to everyone I talk to about him

Re: The Learning Begin [Re: Humannpower] #4930547 01/24/14 04:52 AM
C
CenTx51 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I seconded the Ten Minute Retriever lots of good information in there.

Re: The Learning Begin [Re: Humannpower] #4931236 01/24/14 03:56 PM
D
Duckvader Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Wolter's Water Dog. Best ever training info IMO

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason
Re: The Learning Begin [Re: Humannpower] #4931337 01/24/14 04:34 PM
D
Double-R Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
find and join a local retriever club and they will help you with all you need

-No Here- Rope em' up Retrievers
Re: The Learning Begin [Re: Double-R] #4931417 01/24/14 05:03 PM
H
Humannpower Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: Double-R

So I can join even though I don't have a retriever yet?

Re: The Learning Begin [Re: Humannpower] #4931479 01/24/14 05:21 PM
H
huck18 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: Humannpower

Yes you can go ahead and join and see what it's all about until you get your pup. As far as they will help you with all you need, very doubtful. It will help, but you will still be doing 90% of the training on your own or with the help of a few friends or club members. The club cant meet with you everyday and that's what it take to train a dog. Consistent step by step progress everyday or almost everyday is the key.

Follow a quality program like the one from Freddie King, Smartworks by Evan Graham or TRT by Mike Lardy. Water dog is outdated and was never all that great to begin with, it will help get you a trained gun dog but you will get much better results with the ones I named above, same with 10 minute retriever it's a good basic starting point but it doesn't finish the job. For the puppy stages Bill Hillmans videos are great if you new to dog training and don't know where to start.

My advice is buy Mike Lardy's printed Volumes 1-3, maybe 1-4 and watch Freddie Kings videos since they are free. Follow them step by step, do not skip steps and take your time and do the job right the first time. If you do that, assuming you have a quality pup that is bred for the work you will end up with a fine retriever that you will be proud of.

Re: The Learning Begin [Re: huck18] #4931909 01/24/14 09:17 PM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: huck18
Freddy King from Echo calls has an entire 27 video program on his you tube channel. It's free and it's similar to Smartworks or Total Retriver Training. Full step by step program from a young dog learning basic obedience to a fully trained blind running dog.

Sweet, I didn't know about this option.

Thanks

Re: The Learning Begin [Re: huck18] #4931981 01/24/14 09:57 PM
D
Double-R Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D

Yes you can go ahead and join and see what it's all about until you get your pup. As far as they will help you with all you need, very doubtful. It will help, but you will still be doing 90% of the training on your own or with the help of a few friends or club members. The club cant meet with you everyday and that's what it take to train a dog. Consistent step by step progress everyday or almost everyday is the key.

Follow a quality program like the one from Freddie King, Smartworks by Evan Graham or TRT by Mike Lardy. Water dog is outdated and was never all that great to begin with, it will help get you a trained gun dog but you will get much better results with the ones I named above, same with 10 minute retriever it's a good basic starting point but it doesn't finish the job. For the puppy stages Bill Hillmans videos are great if you new to dog training and don't know where to start.

My advice is buy Mike Lardy's printed Volumes 1-3, maybe 1-4 and watch Freddie Kings videos since they are free. Follow them step by step, do not skip steps and take your time and do the job right the first time. If you do that, assuming you have a quality pup that is bred for the work you will end up with a fine retriever that you will be proud of.

I don't know about up there in that area but down where I'm at the club would have training days and I have many times seen a pro help out a beginner with pointers and if you find the right trainer he will show you step by step like I was taught. Get out there and learn the game. watch and soak up all the info you can. then when you get your pup take it along and someone will help you out. my advise is find a HRC club because the AKC crowd is less welcoming. Heck come to crockett in april for my club's spring Hunt Test and I will show you around and give you all the help you need. PM me if you want to try and set it up.

-No Here- Rope em' up Retrievers
Re: The Learning Begin [Re: Double-R] #4931996 01/24/14 10:10 PM
H
huck18 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H

I don't know about up there in that area but down where I'm at the club would have training days and I have many times seen a pro help out a beginner with pointers and if you find the right trainer he will show you step by step like I was taught. Get out there and learn the game. watch and soak up all the info you can. then when you get your pup take it along and someone will help you out. my advise is find a HRC club because the AKC crowd is less welcoming. Heck come to crockett in april for my club's spring Hunt Test and I will show you around and give you all the help you need. PM me if you want to try and set it up.

Understood. We have two clubs in his area. Cowtown HRC which I am a member of and the Dallas club I cant remember the name of. But we usually only have training days once a month. Besides that we have some smaller groups of guys that get together on their own and train. But you are correct the more people you meet and train with the more you will learn. We have a couple pros at Cowtown that are great and will help in every way they can.

To the OP, join Cowtown and that will get you a good start. You can also PM me if you want to come out and train sometime or watch some of us train and ask questions.

Re: The Learning Begin [Re: Humannpower] #4937092 01/27/14 08:40 PM
H
Humannpower Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
H
Thanks for all the info guys. I will probably join the Cowtown HRC next month.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide