Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Tv Shows [Re: tdecker22] #4802002 12/03/13 04:00 PM
M
Matt1023 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Tdecker, Here's the thing though, I do the same thing on my LF lease. I pass up several 110's and several 120's before that 135 inch deer that I seem to kill every year steps out. If you hunt a feeder from a box blind your doing the same thing on both places, your just going to get a bigger deer on that HF place.

www.1023media.com/outdoors
Click the link above to check out our hunting ranch / breeder promo videos. Would love to film your ranch next!
Re: Tv Shows [Re: Matt1023] #4802021 12/03/13 04:07 PM
T
tdecker22 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Matt1023
Tdecker, Here's the thing though, I do the same thing on my LF lease. I pass up several 110's and several 120's before that 135 inch deer that I seem to kill every year steps out. If you hunt a feeder from a box blind your doing the same thing on both places, your just going to get a bigger deer on that HF place.

I agree with you but as I do the same. But you know what's there and you know your going to see "the buck of your dream" to me that 135" deer is much more of an accomplishment. If you wanna shot the deer go for it but it is not an accomplishment. To each his own tho.

Re: Tv Shows [Re: tdecker22] #4802062 12/03/13 04:24 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Is hunting a competition? Why do y'all worry so much about how the other guy does it?

A lot of hunters feel that using cameras, or corn, or blinds, or rifles are cheating. You are all cheating in someone's eyes. Do you like being called a cheater? What makes you better than the next hunter? What makes your idea of hunting better?

Re: Tv Shows [Re: Sneaky] #4802139 12/03/13 04:50 PM
T
tdecker22 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Is hunting a competition? Why do y'all worry so much about how the other guy does it?

A lot of hunters feel that using cameras, or corn, or blinds, or rifles are cheating. You are all cheating in someone's eyes. Do you like being called a cheater? What makes you better than the next hunter? What makes your idea of hunting better?

sneaky your missing the whole point. Your going off over a damn statement that wasnt negative towards high fence. If you choose to hunt bhind a fence go for it hell I am proud for you. But the fact of the matter is you know the deer are there and that while you might not see the 220" you are after you might have to settle for a 200". lol. Your right alot of people from up north dont belive that we should hunt over feeders. But i am not a fan of high fenced whitetails. To each his own as i have stated that you dont seem to comprehend. If cutting a check and shooting the biggest deer of your life is for yoiu then by all means go for it. Its just not for me, and to clear this up I am not envious of you or dont have the money. Trust me that isnot the issue at all before that gets stated.

Re: Tv Shows [Re: tdecker22] #4802226 12/03/13 05:16 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: tdecker22
Originally Posted By: Hogman4127
I do not care if someone else does it I just don’t. I do not believe it can be compared to going out on your own and scouting all summer to find a place you think will be the spot where yall will meet to showing up, writing a check, and getting brought to your stand and told "the deer you are looking for will show up between 0835 and 0850. He does it every day and sticks around for about 30 minutes. I’m going to go park on the other side of the hill and will pick you up when I hear the shot.

Before anyone starts saying that is not how it is, I went as a guest witn BIL and that is exactly how it went. Deer showed up right on time too.

Once again I do not care if someone else shoots a deer like that.

This is how I feel. People hunt these high fence ranches and it may be a 3000 to 10,000 acre ranch and they shoot a 200" deer and they act like they just hung the dayum moon or something. Thing is there was prolly 30 deer in there that were 200" and they passed up (4) 190's (7) in the 180's (10) IN THE 160s just to finally see that 200 walk out. Then they get their story on here and act like it was one hell of a hunt and man was it challenging. lmao
takes Gun Control ta do that. the trick is finding some one ta pay for shooting the culls. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Tv Shows [Re: tdecker22] #4802259 12/03/13 05:25 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

sneaky your missing the whole point. Your going off over a damn statement that wasnt negative towards high fence. If you choose to hunt bhind a fence go for it hell I am proud for you. But the fact of the matter is you know the deer are there and that while you might not see the 220" you are after you might have to settle for a 200". lol. Your right alot of people from up north dont belive that we should hunt over feeders. But i am not a fan of high fenced whitetails. To each his own as i have stated that you dont seem to comprehend. If cutting a check and shooting the biggest deer of your life is for yoiu then by all means go for it. Its just not for me, and to clear this up I am not envious of you or dont have the money. Trust me that isnot the issue at all before that gets stated.

Saying its not an accomplishment is not negative? Wrecking someone's thread isn't negative? If what you say is true, you wouldn't feel the need to run your mouth on every post it comes up. When someone posts a picture of their deer, you would ignore it. No, obviously you have a problem with it. That's fine, but you could at least admit that.

And I don't hunt high fences. I just don't like to see people ruin someone's thread because "it's not for them." What a bunch of garbage.

Re: Tv Shows [Re: Sneaky] #4802309 12/03/13 05:47 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
The accomplishment is what the native deer has grown on its head inside the fence. The pulling of the trigger, not so much. Even LF hunters can use a neighboring HF to their advantage if they decide to force the issue with deer. We killed a lot by driving them into a fence and shooting them down the fence buffer while they tried to find a way over or through.

Re: Tv Shows [Re: Sneaky] #4802310 12/03/13 05:47 PM
T
tdecker22 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Saying its not an accomplishment is not negative? Wrecking someone's thread isn't negative? If what you say is true, you wouldn't feel the need to run your mouth on every post it comes up. When someone posts a picture of their deer, you would ignore it. No, obviously you have a problem with it. That's fine, but you could at least admit that.

And I don't hunt high fences. I just don't like to see people ruin someone's thread because "it's not for them." What a bunch of garbage.

lol ok agree to disagree so stop "running your mouth." And for the record yesterday is the first HF comment I made. So check yourself before you say "every post"

Re: Tv Shows [Re: tdecker22] #4802382 12/03/13 06:10 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Yes, I meant that in the most literal of ways. Well done.

Re: Tv Shows [Re: Rodngun] #4802460 12/03/13 06:43 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Rodngun
So I messed up my hamstring a little,sitting here watching TV instead of in a blind.

Watching O'Neill Outside ...what the **** ??

Here comes a really nice buck down the hill - he is excited,I'm excited and then - wait a minute what the ?? A big Yellow Tag in his ear and then the next one runs bye - a big Red Tag in his ear.

How embarrassing , what the hell are we doing to hunting - Now wonder all the Anti's have so much ammo against us hunters .

Don't get me wrong - I know the only way some people can kill a deer is if they are behind a fence - if that's what it takes - then that's YOUR problem - but don't put it on TV ... the Anti's see stuff like this and think we all are like this - its a **** shame !!! O'k - I'm done.That's just 53 years worth of hunting frustration coming out of me .
back flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Tv Shows [Re: tdecker22] #4806064 12/04/13 07:19 PM
H
Hogman4127 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
I think some people equate the size deer they have to kill each season to their bank account. Have to compete with coworkers. If I dont pay 6000 for a weekend hunt its not a real hunt.

To each their own. If people want to m pay whatever to shoot a big deer then more power to them.

Re: Tv Shows [Re: Hogman4127] #4808232 12/05/13 12:23 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Most of the hunting shows on now are not for me - HF or LF - guys shooting 2 year old bucks, destroying the English language, and on and on. There are a handful of shows that are the real deal to me - Eastmans, Shockey, and couple more. Otherwise it looks like anyone who presents themselves as an "expert hunter" can get a show on TV.

I got fooled on Spook Nation - thought he was the real deal until he was prosecuted and then had a probation violation and had to do jail time.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Tv Shows [Re: rifleman] #4808764 12/05/13 04:23 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: rifleman
The accomplishment is what the native deer has grown on its head inside the fence. The pulling of the trigger, not so much. Even LF hunters can use a neighboring HF to their advantage if they decide to force the issue with deer. We killed a lot by driving them into a fence and shooting them down the fence buffer while they tried to find a way over or through.

You so funny....

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Tv Shows [Re: BunnyBlaster] #4811070 12/06/13 04:11 AM
F
FordEvangelist Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Move to Michigan? Detroit property is cheap I think. Texas has always been notoriously short on public land but I think there are plenty of places to do public hunts if that's what you like. The grass is always greener some think... Michigan produces some fine deer but I have a feeling they aren't that easy to get.

Originally Posted By: BunnyBlaster
It's not just TV, it's this entire HF trophy farming culture. Just look at the outfitter and guides section here, most of the WT outfits have deer that are named and have prices. To me that is no different than Thompson Temple or any other livestock shooting operation, just more money involved.

I'm not for or against it, I just don't like how there is less and less viable public spots for meat hunting. Compare that to other states and our situation is quite sad. A man should be able to find a place to meat hunt without paying a fortune or having to network! The stories I hear about state land from my Michigan co-workers makes me jealous

just my .02

Re: Tv Shows [Re: tdecker22] #4811089 12/06/13 04:16 AM
F
FordEvangelist Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Those "northerners" that don't like feeders usually say that while hunting a soybean field. I always find that interesting.I know a person that hunts the midwest and takes some large deer. He doesn't bait but he says he accidentally spills corn quite often.

Re: Tv Shows [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4811097 12/06/13 04:19 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

You so funny....

You put 10 folks on 4wheelers in a 3rd row plantation and push towards a fence you'd be suprised what pops out at the fence grin

Re: Tv Shows [Re: BunnyBlaster] #4811185 12/06/13 04:45 AM
H
Hirogen Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: BunnyBlaster
The stories I hear about state land from my Michigan co-workers makes me jealous

Originally Posted By: FordEvangelist
Move to Michigan? Detroit property is cheap I think. Texas has always been notoriously short on public land but I think there are plenty of places to do public hunts if that's what you like. The grass is always greener some think... Michigan produces some fine deer but I have a feeling they aren't that easy to get.

I'm in Ontario (similar habitat to Michigan) and we have more than 300,000 square miles of public land - virtually nobody leases. Definitely an advantage in that regard.

The disadvantage however is that deer density is significantly lower and virtually nobody manages anything - the result is our racks are a lot smaller (at least based on the posts I've seen on this site, although our body sizes are definitely larger - last doe I killed dressed 156lbs) and I am guessing more time is required to kill anything just like FE said. If I average the number of days spent hunting per deer taken it will be up around 12 days per deer (not including scouting). And those are meat deer not trophies.

So you may be jealous of places with lots of public land, but I'm jealous of places with the densities and racks you guys seem to consistently produce whether it's HF or LF.

Last edited by Hirogen; 12/06/13 04:57 AM.

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Re: Tv Shows [Re: Hirogen] #4836574 12/14/13 01:38 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Only Stan Potts can make an elk hunt unbearable to watch bang

Re: Tv Shows [Re: Sneaky] #4836646 12/14/13 02:13 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

its been said before, this argument boils down to ego, and its really the "LF guys" that instigate it. "LF guys" feel the need to bring up fences everytime they see a big deer posted, for what? to make themselves feel better or prove that you are a better hunter because you have a LF 140 on your wall?

who cares! like RM said, the trophy should be the deer, not your stature as a hunter. is HF hunting for me? no, not my thing, but some guys act like they have to put someone in their place or something when they take a HF deer, again, for what?

either dont post or just say "nice deer" and move on, we dont think he is a better hunter than you because his deer is bigger than yours.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Tv Shows [Re: jshouse] #4836659 12/14/13 02:21 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Sometimes it just needs to be said that they shot a pen raised animal just in case they are confused. stir But you're right, jshouse, always go with what I say. grin

Re: Tv Shows [Re: rifleman] #4836693 12/14/13 02:33 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
i actually contemplated whether or not to give you credit too.

If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Tv Shows [Re: jshouse] #4836707 12/14/13 02:37 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I've shot enough HF deer to not really care, but I'm aware it's just not the same thing as not knowing where the heck certain animals are.

Ridge Reaper is on up

Re: Tv Shows [Re: rifleman] #4836709 12/14/13 02:37 PM
S
Skip Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
The only hunting show I watch is DRIVEN

Skip
Re: Tv Shows [Re: rifleman] #4836740 12/14/13 02:51 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Matt1023
I realize this is a no win argument and I'll never change anyones mind, but if you break it down and think of it like this, what difference does it make if there is a HF?

1. Whether its HF or LF, are you not there to kill a deer? I don't understand why its so much more noble to kill a LF deer. Deer are everywhere, its not hard to just go kill a deer if you want to. Granted, its a nice accomplishment to kill a monster buck on a LF place, but even that wouldn't be that hard if more hunters were management minded.

2. With a HF, you are most likely going to kill a mature deer thats at its prime, and not some 3 year old ten point with 3 more good years in front of him like my lease mates do on my LF lease.

Agan, I realize I'm not going to change anyone's mind, and to each his own. We're all here because we love to hunt and we shouldn't give each other grief for any form of legal hunting, in fact, it should all be encouraged, and save that grief you want to give for all those anti-organizations out there

With that argument you're saying it's easier to kill big mature deer on HF than it is LF.

Yes it is easier. No blinds to build, not scouting to do, no leases to negotiate, no feeders to fill, no long weekend drives to check on equipment, no maintenance on cabin, no equipment to maintain, no food plots to plants, no worries about water during a drought year. Just pay and show up. Yes, that is much easier. Just like it is easier to take a guided fishing trip than go out on a new lake alone.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Tv Shows [Re: rifleman] #4836744 12/14/13 02:52 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Only Stan Potts can make an elk hunt unbearable to watch bang

that crazy eye is too distracting

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide