QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Yes you can-especially if you have good bedding/core areas. My strategy is just like RM's and we have similar results.

As for kids, the first deer is whatever makes them excited. I don't care what it is. No management plan is worth disappointing a kid and "teaching" them your expectations is...well...unrealistic IMO. (I'm holding back here.)

We can learn a little and shape expectations little by little as they get older/hunt more.

Disappointing a kid? How many times was that kid 'disappointed' when he was too young to be the shooter and had to watch you slay a deer he would have been thrilled with? Don't give me that BS. It's harder on the kid to tell him no for the first time on his second deer than it is to train him correctly from the get-go.

Whatever there trophy-man. IMO you have lost all perspective-if you ever had it.

I think you are missing perspective, not me. For you it's all about the kid getting the kill; for me it's all about the kid getting the lesson that hunting is not about yanking the trigger on anything that moves.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #4752195 11/15/13 09:55 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
You tell your 7 year old he can't shoot that doe/small buck.

I'll tell mine he can.

See which one is smiling. That,sir,is what life's all about. Not deer management.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #4752225 11/15/13 10:07 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

I think you are missing perspective, not me. For you it's all about the kid getting the kill; for me it's all about the kid getting the lesson that hunting is not about yanking the trigger on anything that moves.

I used to be for herd management, but in the last few years I have watched the "holier" than thou attitude spit out their garbage enough to realize that they don't "enjoy" hunting, they enjoy shooting trophies. Sad, but it is their life to "enjoy" as the see fit.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #4752358 11/15/13 10:54 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Yes you can-especially if you have good bedding/core areas. My strategy is just like RM's and we have similar results.

As for kids, the first deer is whatever makes them excited. I don't care what it is. No management plan is worth disappointing a kid and "teaching" them your expectations is...well...unrealistic IMO. (I'm holding back here.)

We can learn a little and shape expectations little by little as they get older/hunt more.

Disappointing a kid? How many times was that kid 'disappointed' when he was too young to be the shooter and had to watch you slay a deer he would have been thrilled with? Don't give me that BS. It's harder on the kid to tell him no for the first time on his second deer than it is to train him correctly from the get-go.

I was raised on the notion that you hunted through your kids once they were old enough to go....then you got that privilege back when they were "grown".

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: rifleman] #4752399 11/15/13 11:13 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
This poor old horse is beat to death. Let your kids shoot something. You are not doing them any favor by making them wait for a 160" deer.

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: rifleman] #4752429 11/15/13 11:26 PM
R
RDNCK Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
The problem is that too many people have become obobsesse with only shooting that trophy buck, myself included, and we forget about having fun and enjoying God's creations. I'll bet that the majority of all of you , like me, were raised up going hunting with our dads and or families and had so much fun just enjoying getting to go and just hoped we'd get a chance to shoot anything that was legal to shoot. Everything has gotten so much into management and trophies to the point that it's not as fun anymore. If it's legal and you want to shoot it then shoot it, that is your right and you paid your money and TPWD says you can. Nobody has the right to judge you as long as you do it legally.

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: RDNCK] #4752437 11/15/13 11:29 PM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
But if you want to be judged post the picture on here. Someone will be along shortly to tell you why you shouldn't have shot it.

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: RDNCK] #4752439 11/15/13 11:29 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Bigbuck95
The problem is that too many people have become obobsesse with only shooting that trophy buck, myself included, and we forget about having fun and enjoying God's creations. I'll bet that the majority of all of you , like me, were raised up going hunting with our dads and or families and had so much fun just enjoying getting to go and just hoped we'd get a chance to shoot anything that was legal to shoot. Everything has gotten so much into management and trophies to the point that it's not as fun anymore. If it's legal and you want to shoot it then shoot it, that is your right and you paid your money and TPWD says you can. Nobody has the right to judge you as long as you do it legally.

up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: dogcatcher] #4752472 11/15/13 11:44 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
If someone wants their kid to hold out for a mature deer, that's their prerogative. At some point, and especially on my land, we will do the same.

But when they are starting out, and I decide that they can shoot what they want, and they are excited to shoot any deer, then that's what we will do, since it's OUR prerogative. And nobody will tell us different.

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: Sneaky] #4752902 11/16/13 03:08 AM
H
HuntingGreg Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
It is rare I read 5 pages of posts on this subject because it is the same thing over and over again. I am a sit in the back and read person and not so much a post person. I get just as excited about seeing a big rack as the next guy but I have to say I am really happy to see so many people on here backing take what you want within the law. I think this is the most I have ever seen voice their opinion since it is usually a beat down from the high and mighty hunters. My major is biology and I practice conservation. Managment I believe in but I don't let it take the fun out of it for me. For others I understand and respect that is the fun and I don't post negative things when they post pictures and mention they hunted all season for it. I do have to say something about telling your kid no they cant shoot it and it is better to teach them correct from the get go. You tell your kid no too many times and he or she will like hunting as much as they like school in the 6th grade...... not at all!!!! Good luck with that....

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: wtr] #4753359 11/16/13 01:12 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: wtr
Let her shoot it. What's the chances of y'all seeing that deer after this year? Slim to none.

i am on 45 acres with my largest neighbor being 60, there are 5 feeders within 20 yards of my fences, i've had cameras running on it it for 3 years and have 3 years wrth of pics for a few of them and 2 years worth of seveal more. if the terrain is good and the neighbors are even a little bit on board 300 acres can be managed, if its in west texas, probably not.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: camartin] #4753793 11/16/13 05:27 PM
909ag2006 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
There's bound to be some crappy ratchet head buck you can let your precious little angel shoot. I agree you need to let your kid have fun and shoot an animal. But, shooting a 2.5 YO buck with promise is just stupid.

And, it's called hunting, not killing. Hunting is about a whole lot more than just pulling the trigger. It's about being in and appreciating nature, and watching your work pay off, and patience. If you let her drop the hammer on a buck like that just because she wants to, what are you teaching her.

And, last thing before I get off my soap box. All this talk about making your little dumplings "smile" is absolutely pathetic. My son would "smile" if I let him eat Snickers bars for breakfast, but I don't do it. Why? Because it's not good for him and it's not the right thing to do. Same goes for killing deer that shouldn't be killed.

Last edited by 909ag2006; 11/16/13 05:37 PM.

They weren't raiding a girl scout troop looking for overdue library books.

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: 909ag2006] #4754031 11/16/13 07:22 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Letting a kid shoot a buck with potential is stupid? Why? Because someone could shoot him when he's bigger?

What does more for hunting? Kids shooting deer, or letting deer get big?

The only thing stupid is criticizing people for how they introduce kids into hunting.

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: Sneaky] #4754046 11/16/13 07:32 PM
R
RDNCK Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Letting a kid shoot a buck with potential is stupid? Why? Because someone could shoot him when he's bigger?

The only thing stupid is criticizing people for how they introduce kids into hunting.

up
I agree, we don't have the right to judge or criticize any one that does something that is LEGAL. If it was illegal the you deserve criticism

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: RDNCK] #4754118 11/16/13 08:18 PM
909ag2006 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
It's legal to do a lot of things that aren't smart.

They weren't raiding a girl scout troop looking for overdue library books.

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: camartin] #4755013 11/17/13 03:31 AM
W
westexhunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
booom

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: Sneaky] #4755502 11/17/13 02:15 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

There's some middle ground to be found in the situation. A kid can sit, watch and be taught whether there's even a rifle in the stand or not. I've had kids go hunting with me that were told straight up that I wouldn't let them pull the trigger no matter what walked out. They were excited to see deer and to put away beef jerky & blue berry muffins. It all depends on the kid.

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: rifleman] #4755616 11/17/13 03:14 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: rifleman

There's some middle ground to be found in the situation. A kid can sit, watch and be taught whether there's even a rifle in the stand or not. I've had kids go hunting with me that were told straight up that I wouldn't let them pull the trigger no matter what walked out. They were excited to see deer and to put away beef jerky & blue berry muffins. It all depends on the kid.

agreed, i was always just happy to SEE deer when i hunted as a kid. we hunted in canton for a year and never saw a deer and we also hunted the hill country and saw 10 deer every sit but i never really was chomping at the bit to kill something, i'm still not unless it is gonna go on the wall. i just like the sittin and the watchin and hope my boys grow up with a similar philosophy.

now, when my oldest is ready to go in another year or two i will be very liberal about what he gets to shoot and just hope that a 2.5yo isnt what he picks grin

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: rifleman] #4755631 11/17/13 03:20 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: rifleman

I realize that. I have no problem telling a kid no. My point is that it's up to the two hunting, not anyone else.

Re: CAN YOU MANAGE 325 ACRES [Re: Sneaky] #4789426 11/28/13 05:26 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
If you want your kids to shoot the deer on your lease then that means you don't shoot the deer. He already filled his buck tag. That means what he is allowed has been taken. Unless it's unlike any lease I've been on that would be considered an "extra" deer from his allowed quota and that is the real issue. Buck size doesn't even matter as long as it's legal.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide