Page 1 of 2 1 2
What to expect in Mississippi #4749456 11/14/13 10:18 PM
T
TexasEd Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Anyone hunted Northern Mississippi for Whitetail?

I've been invited to hunt after Christmas this year and don't really know what to expect.

Re: What to expect in Mississippi [Re: TexasEd] #4749483 11/14/13 10:26 PM
T
Tx_Phantom Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
What county?

Re: What to expect in Mississippi [Re: Tx_Phantom] #4749496 11/14/13 10:29 PM
T
TexasEd Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
North of Jackson is all I know now. Might be Madison, but probably further NW.

Re: What to expect in Mississippi [Re: TexasEd] #4749620 11/14/13 11:11 PM
T
Tx_Phantom Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I've hunted Panola, desoto, tate and lafayette counties. trees are thick... the thicket is not fun to crawl through to find your deer. overall, the quality of the deer is not that great up north. IDK about down south but up north it's a free for all, and hunters do as they please, kill what they want, hunt with any means necessary. there are weekends for gun, muzzle, shotgun/dogs... depending on where you hunt, you'll get ALL OF THE ABOVE on the same weekend. if you're there on a dog weekend, prepare for a bust... i planned around the dogs and still had people running them... it kinda sucked to be honest...

most of the counties have ARs now, but its only 10" IIRC, and spikes are now allowed. Make sure you check the local regs... The out of state license is / was $300. Ouch

Re: What to expect in Mississippi [Re: Tx_Phantom] #4749683 11/14/13 11:32 PM
B
Billbreaker Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Last time I was there( around three years ago) you could shoot a deer a day. At least that's what I was told by a local. Only saw three doe the whole two months I was on the pipeline. But there were plenty of turkey's around.

I don't carry change, but I love breaking bills!
Re: What to expect in Mississippi [Re: Billbreaker] #4749997 11/15/13 01:33 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I spent most of my youth hunting in East Central Mississippi. The rut in that area doesn't happen until late December and early January so you may be hunting at a great time. And the Madison area is known for producing some great deer. And it gets better as you move west towards the river.

They now have antler restrictions that are much more confusing than our own. I seem to remember reading they're based on minimum width and main beam length. Better check the MDWFP website before heading out.

I have a lifetime hunting license for the state but all my relatives have either passed on or moved away.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: What to expect in Mississippi [Re: Texas Dan] #4750051 11/15/13 01:52 AM
T
TXJD2012 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I used to hunt in red banks.. Thick tree cover, colder weather than texas and some good sized bucks. Best to get with a local that can how you the ropes

Re: What to expect in Mississippi [Re: Texas Dan] #4750066 11/15/13 01:59 AM
P
Pipemaker Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
My experience hunting is a little time around West Point. Very much like TxPhantom described, most anything was considered fair game. There seemed to be lots of deer in that area despite all the blasting, but everybody I know out that way pretty much takes a shot on any deer that walks out. The deer I saw there were all young, small, but healthy.
Now, get over next to the river and some bucks in the Delta get BIG. Two of the most impressive bucks I've ever seen were on backroads at night around Sledge and Marks when the Mississippi was up and the Delta was under water. Flushed those monsters out of the bottoms and up on the few spots of high ground.

Re: What to expect in Mississippi [Re: TexasEd] #4750389 11/15/13 03:33 AM
R
robbf213 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: TexasEd
North of Jackson is all I know now. Might be Madison, but probably further NW.

Find out where if you can. I grew up there and have hunted all over the state. 15 minutes north of Madison is Canton and the deer can be tremendous around the Big Black river. Mature bucks can weigh 230-280 live weight and deer over 170 and up are very common. Around Christmas Day is the peak of the rut in that area.

Re: What to expect in Mississippi [Re: robbf213] #4750494 11/15/13 03:58 AM
B
Buckenvy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Nice Deer up there... never hunted it, but almost totaled truck several times passing thru to S Carolina

Re: What to expect in Mississippi [Re: Buckenvy] #4751177 11/15/13 03:19 PM
T
Tx_Phantom Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Here ya go - read up... All the rules, and believe me when I tell you northern MS, none are followed.

http://www.mdwfp.com/law-enforcement/hunting-rules-regs.aspx

Re: What to expect in Mississippi [Re: Tx_Phantom] #4751276 11/15/13 03:58 PM
RGS Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
We hunt in the Delta, north of Vicksburg, every year, starting the day after Christmas. Probably my favorite place to hunt. The people there haven't been completely tainted by the trophy-only hunting mentality that has consumed too many other places, yet. But there are plenty of huge deer killed there every year where we hunt. Those bean fields make for some huge deer! The local people are nice. The only jerks I have met while hunting there are usually out of staters, unfortunately. They still have huge deer camps in that area (some of them are a sight to see), and I go during that time because I love to see a good dog/deer race. We have a blast, and I look forward to that trip all year long. They get labeled as the "if it is brown it is down" crowd in that state, but those guys just love to hunt, period, and take advantage of the oppurtunities that are afforded them.

Re: What to expect in Mississippi [Re: RGS] #4751622 11/15/13 05:44 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: RGS
We hunt in the Delta, north of Vicksburg, every year, starting the day after Christmas. Probably my favorite place to hunt. The people there haven't been completely tainted by the trophy-only hunting mentality that has consumed too many other places, yet. But there are plenty of huge deer killed there every year where we hunt. Those bean fields make for some huge deer! The local people are nice. The only jerks I have met while hunting there are usually out of staters, unfortunately. They still have huge deer camps in that area (some of them are a sight to see), and I go during that time because I love to see a good dog/deer race. We have a blast, and I look forward to that trip all year long. They get labeled as the "if it is brown it is down" crowd in that state, but those guys just love to hunt, period, and take advantage of the oppurtunities that are afforded them.

Good point about dogs still being used to chase deer. Hunters are not near as eager to shoot a dog but would rather grab a good spot to get a shot should the deer come their way. And nothing can be more exciting than listening to the hounds as they get closer and knowing a deer is some distance ahead of them. It's like having Buck Fever while watching a Victoria Secret fashion show.

Re: What to expect in Mississippi [Re: Texas Dan] #4751711 11/15/13 06:23 PM
C
Chadillac Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
This is the only thing I enjoy hunting in Mississippi.

Re: What to expect in Mississippi [Re: Chadillac] #4752060 11/15/13 09:04 PM
T
Tx_Phantom Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
No lie, here's one guys deer camp at the shoot em up i went to in lafayette county

Re: What to expect in Mississippi [Re: Chadillac] #4752182 11/15/13 09:50 PM
RGS Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
It's a good thing none of them are close to our camp in the Delta. I would have every guy in Houston county loading up to go with us, and not a single deer rifle in the bunch. grin

Re: What to expect in Mississippi [Re: Texas Dan] #4752189 11/15/13 09:52 PM
RGS Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: RGS

Good point about dogs still being used to chase deer. Hunters are not near as eager to shoot a dog but would rather grab a good spot to get a shot should the deer come their way. And nothing can be more exciting than listening to the hounds as they get closer and knowing a deer is some distance ahead of them. It's like having Buck Fever while watching a Victoria Secret fashion show.

Ha Ha. That is about the best description of dog race that I have heard to date. Prett durn accurate!

Re: What to expect in Mississippi [Re: Chadillac] #4752262 11/15/13 10:19 PM
T
TexasEd Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Chadillac
This is the only thing I enjoy hunting in Mississippi.

My brother goes to Ole Miss. He has lots of attractive female friends that I am almost old enough to be their father. He's 21 years younger than me.

I was on one hunt in Virginia years ago where dogs were running on an adjacent property and chased a small doe up a draw where I was waiting. We also had to use shotguns with buckshot and it did not come in range.

Re: What to expect in Mississippi [Re: TexasEd] #4752582 11/16/13 12:56 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
When my folks were still living and I went back to visit, I would see engagement photos in the paper and feel sorry for the soon-to-be brides. I would always see cute girls paired up with a guy who looked like someone who pushed carts at Walmart.

Take it from someone who knows first hand. If you're short on looks and want to marry an attractive woman, go to college in Mississippi.

Re: What to expect in Mississippi [Re: Texas Dan] #4761853 11/19/13 05:43 PM
T
TexasEd Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
UPDATE

Two potential properties. Most likely is in Rankin County just East of Jackson. Wooded areas that they have been cleaning out brush for shooting lanes longest shot would be <100 yards.

Second, much less likely is near Tupelo and is a little more open. A little longer shots possible up to 200 yards.

Both are private property.

Re: What to expect in Mississippi [Re: TexasEd] #4762413 11/19/13 09:05 PM
H
hunthard Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
I hunted Water Valley Lodge in Choctaw County, Alabama last year in mid January and that is when they are in full rut. We harvested several fine bucks. Not sure how far that is from you but my guess you will be hunting very near the rut. Happy Hunting!

Re: What to expect in Mississippi [Re: hunthard] #4763344 11/20/13 02:31 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Lots of turkeys over there too. However, unlike some parts of Texas, I don't believe they are legal to shoot this time of year.

Again, check those antler restrictions for sure. My experience has always been that MDWFP officers are not as "professional" as those who work for the TPWD.

Re: What to expect in Mississippi [Re: Texas Dan] #4765513 11/20/13 08:29 PM
J
Jay Brown Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Depending on whether you are hunting in the "pine Hills" or the Delta along the Miss river, the terrain can be hilly,rolling, high ridges, or flat along the river. All produce quality deer.
I lived in Natchez for a number of years and still miss it very much. Defintely a lot prettier terrain that most of south Texas.
Have a good time.

Re: What to expect in Mississippi [Re: Jay Brown] #4766377 11/21/13 01:57 AM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Ed,

It will be cold, and that time of the year the deer will have felt the pressure.

I'd say take a look at the moon phases and choose your days. They've got good herds of deer and they're big.

Both of my relatives that I was on a lease with left our old lease to hunt MS.

I keep planning on taking some time off and go out there for a hunt. Just need to find the time.

Goodluck.

[Linked Image]
Re: What to expect in Mississippi [Re: Hopedale] #4766658 11/21/13 03:05 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Ed, I've been invited to a trophy hunt somewhere just across the river. It will be for 6 yoa+ bucks. They have too many. I'm pumped!

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide