Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cabelas Customer Service - NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE #4707917 10/31/13 03:38 PM
T
Theringworm Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Well, to say the least I am completely dumb founded by the customer service I just received from Cabelas. I have been preparing for my Elk Hunt in Colorado that I just completed since June of this year. I have been ordering supplies and equipment well in advance to make sure everything was here and that I wasn't overnighting stuff last minute. June 30th to be exact, I purchased multiple pieces of Sitka clothing and gear from Cabelas for this hunt. All but 2-3 pieces were all on back order, some as far as mid to late August. I proceeded with the order because I knew it might take forever to be shipped. One of those pieces was a backpack. The backpack showed up around the first of Aug. and sat in my closet till 2 weeks ago to be used on my elk hunt. The second day the zipper breaks. So I call up Cabelas today, of which I have been a Club member and Visa card carrier for, for more than 15 years. I tell them what happened, and he tells me, "sorry sir, it has been more than 90 days since you ordered this so you need to contact Sitka directly. We cannot help you!" Uh...are you f-ing kidding me. I have never ever had this problem in the past with Cabelas. What little I have returned or exchanged was never met with such unwillingness to be of assistance. If it broke or was malfunctioned they always took it back or exchanged it. It's not like this is something that is over a year old and all beat to hell and tore up. Anyone else had this problem? I hope not, otherwise I might think twice about shopping with them.

Re: Cabelas Customer Service - NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE [Re: Theringworm] #4707962 10/31/13 03:54 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
New policy they started a while back due to many using things for a year then returning them.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Cabelas Customer Service - NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE [Re: Theringworm] #4707969 10/31/13 03:57 PM
B
BOLT GUY Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
try calling back and talking with another person or taking it up the chain of command. Politely state your case and what you'd like to have happen. Being rude or upset won't help to further your agenda, not saying you were but i find being polite helps tremendously.

Re: Cabelas Customer Service - NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE [Re: BOLT GUY] #4708075 10/31/13 04:19 PM
T
Theringworm Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Trust me, I was very polite. I told him the exact reason I ordered it so early (the fact that nearly everything was on backorder for 2+ months and I wanted to make sure I had a place in line so that I got my order in a timely fashion for my upcoming hunt). Even though I got it 2+ months after I ordered it he was going by the date the actual order was placed. He wouldn't budge. I totally understand the "older than a year, torn up, destroyed returned item concept", however this didn't fall into either of those categories. And I thought being a long time member of their club and visa card carrier had perks. Not like it use to. I am disappointed. Hopefully just an isolated incident. Not many other places to buy from with such a big selection.

I called Sitka. Great people, great customer service. They stand behind their products. They fixed me up. Thanks Austin.

Re: Cabelas Customer Service - NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE [Re: Theringworm] #4708711 10/31/13 06:48 PM
S
ssmith Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
this is going to happen more as time goes on because manufacturers that let the stores do instore exchanges get a lot of product returned for no good reason. most times the manufacturer will try to make the customer happy.

Re: Cabelas Customer Service - NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE [Re: ssmith] #4708854 10/31/13 07:40 PM
S
Southtexas36 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
I agree, Cabelas has gone downhill from the level of service I used to get. I'm trying to order everything I need from Bass Pro as much as possible and only go to Cabelas when I have to.

Re: Cabelas Customer Service - NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE [Re: Southtexas36] #4708902 10/31/13 07:51 PM
B
Buffs 1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Southtexas36
I agree, Cabelas has gone downhill from the level of service I used to get. I'm trying to order everything I need from Bass Pro as much as possible and only go to Cabelas when I have to.

I have had the exact opposite experience. I always get hassled at Basspro, but never cabela's. Just this year I returned a 6+ month old fishing rod to cabela's with no issue. the tip broke on a small fish.

Maybe it depends whether you are returning Cabela's brand gear compared to another company's gear.

I buy all my stuff at cabela's and always try to avoid Basspro

Re: Cabelas Customer Service - NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE [Re: Buffs 1] #4708926 10/31/13 07:56 PM
B
Buffs 1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
now that I think about it. last Christmas I ordered some gifts for my dad. The package tracking showed it shipped and was delivered, but dad never got it. I called Cabela's and they shipped new stuff with no questions asked.

Re: Cabelas Customer Service - NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE [Re: Buffs 1] #4708940 10/31/13 08:00 PM
S
Southtexas36 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Buffs 1
Originally Posted By: Southtexas36

I have had the exact opposite experience. I always get hassled at Basspro, but never cabela's. Just this year I returned a 6+ month old fishing rod to cabela's with no issue. the tip broke on a small fish.

Maybe it depends whether you are returning Cabela's brand gear compared to another company's gear.

I buy all my stuff at cabela's and always try to avoid Basspro

Or maybe it's just the store confused2

Re: Cabelas Customer Service - NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE [Re: Southtexas36] #4708961 10/31/13 08:05 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Get a Cabelas Black Visa card and problems like this never happen. up

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Cabelas Customer Service - NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE [Re: Southtexas36] #4708964 10/31/13 08:06 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I think it was all about the time frame, I have seen it more and more in the last few years that retailers are limiting the time for claiming problems. I have see this on other forums, where someone is advised to buy something for a one time use and then return it. Example is Harbor Freight ATV ramps, they have a no questions asked return policy, a guy bought a ATV and needed to load it, he asked if anyone had one he could borrow. It is "stuff" like this that ruins it for the legitimate returns. Better get used to it, I don't think it will get better.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Cabelas Customer Service - NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE [Re: stxranchman] #4709153 10/31/13 08:59 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Sorry, but it should not matter whether you use Cabela's card or brought Juniors piggy bank in to buy the product. You pay your hard earned money and you expect them to stand behind what they sell whether you are Daddy Warbucks or Orphan Annie.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Cabelas Customer Service - NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE [Re: blackcoal] #4709177 10/31/13 09:04 PM
C
Chadillac Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Sorry, but it should not matter whether you use Cabela's card or brought Juniors piggy bank in to buy the product. You pay your hard earned money and you expect them to stand behind what they sell whether you are Daddy Warbucks or Orphan Annie.

Agreed. hammer

Re: Cabelas Customer Service - NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE [Re: stxranchman] #4709346 10/31/13 09:56 PM
S
soonerdg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Was it Cabela's brand? I don't know where you are or if this is feasable for you but try returning it to one of the stores. I was told this weekend by an employee at the Ft Worth location that they take back any cabelas brand equipment NO QUESTIONS ASKED. She said if you brought back a pair of boots that had been worn every day for 10 years they'd exchange it. NO QUESTIONS ASKED! Should be a slam dunk for a broken backpack.

Re: Cabelas Customer Service - NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE [Re: soonerdg] #4709758 11/01/13 01:02 AM
Wburke2010 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Sorry to hear that I have had nothing but great luck with cabelas. I had to stop buying from basspro from the problems they gave me on a big purchase and have not been back to this day.

Walter

MW Ranch Services
903-303-4523
Metal buildings, welding, equipment repair, dirt work
Re: Cabelas Customer Service - NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE [Re: Wburke2010] #4709893 11/01/13 01:55 AM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Go to Sitka's website. www.sitkagear.com and get their number and call them. They warranty their stuff for life. They will repair or replace for free.

Re: Cabelas Customer Service - NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE [Re: Pittstate] #4710183 11/01/13 03:34 AM
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I quit going to Cabela's for similar reasons. I'm back to Bass Pro for everything if at all possible. I have never had BPS give me any grief on a return, not do with Cabela's and their new policy. It really irks me because they can see how much I've bought, when I bought it and that I seldom return anything.

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: Cabelas Customer Service - NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE [Re: 7ARanch] #4710331 11/01/13 04:42 AM
G
Gone to Texas Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
I'm with you, can't deal with the big chains. I have had worst experiences with Gander Mountain, but Cabelas is not far behind, not to mention their prices are often rough.

Re: Cabelas Customer Service - NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE [Re: Gone to Texas] #4722399 11/05/13 06:58 PM
T
Tx_Phantom Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
On the flip side, I had the archery dept adjust my new to me compound bow @ Cabela's in Allen and Bob provided outstanding customer service... He was very patient, explained things and the why he did what he did, and even gave me pointers. I'd easily recommend them for archery services.

Re: Cabelas Customer Service - NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE [Re: Tx_Phantom] #4724442 11/06/13 05:56 AM
10pointdoe Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Cabellas was exactly correct. They are a retail store, not a warranty center for every vendor that has products for sale there. Most generally merchandise is purchased from the vendor with the agreement for warranty calculated in the pricing of the product. Most generally this agreement is the retailer will handle warranty for the first 30 days, after that the vendor handles the warranty. This is what cabellas did. If there was an error on their part it was not selling you on the process. You were covered under a warranty either way, it was just a matter of who provides the coverage. So there was no reason for your being turned off for not being babied.

Re: Cabelas Customer Service - NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE [Re: 10pointdoe] #4724578 11/06/13 11:42 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: 10pointdoe
Cabellas was exactly correct. They are a retail store, not a warranty center for every vendor that has products for sale there. Most generally merchandise is purchased from the vendor with the agreement for warranty calculated in the pricing of the product. Most generally this agreement is the retailer will handle warranty for the first 30 days, after that the vendor handles the warranty. This is what cabellas did. If there was an error on their part it was not selling you on the process. You were covered under a warranty either way, it was just a matter of who provides the coverage. So there was no reason for your being turned off for not being babied.

Well said and the most intelligent post so far. Cabelas did not make the thing. I can't understand the mentality of returning a product to a business that did not manufacture it.

Re: Cabelas Customer Service - NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE [Re: Theringworm] #4724727 11/06/13 01:23 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Sounds to me like Cabela's didn't do anything wrong and their policy isn't much different than anyone else. I wouldn't be mad about it. Contact the manufacturer and ask them to fix it.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Cabelas Customer Service - NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE [Re: Curtis] #4724863 11/06/13 02:10 PM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
My opinion (black card holder):

Cabelas rocks
BPS sucks (but the Katy store not so much)
GanderMountain is hit and miss
CaptHarrys is the best for saltwater stuff

All the stores in north Texas tend to be light on saltwater stock in the store.

The grapevine BPS used to be fully stocked and packed almost everyday, with some knowledgable folks behind the counter. After the Cabelas opened, it went downhill fast. The last time I was there there was only about 30 cars in the parking lot on a Saturday afternoon. The shelves were poorly stocked - out of almost everything that folks really used, and the sales staff were young kids who hardly knew anything, much less the product line.

Cabelas in Allen is staffed with adults, mostly older that have real experience and knowledge. I've gotten to know the store manager and found it is their policy to hire older, more experienced folks - they really do try to find the RIGHT type of person that is Cabelas material. I was impressed.

He is familiar with BPS (he actually goes checks out the competition personally) and told me that store has problems. Lower margins, poor ordering planning, etc led to to reduced profits - so they had to counter with reduced stock and cheaper staff (store's GM decision ) and lost touch with their customers - and it spiraled down.

Customer service always boils down eventually to the 1 on 1 interaction. There are always a few times where the people interaction breaks down. I can tell you the Allen store management does not tolerate that - the spend the time to get GOOD people, and if a bad experience filters up to management that was the result of a staff actions or attitude - that person is gone.

Last edited by John Humbert; 11/06/13 02:12 PM.
Re: Cabelas Customer Service - NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE [Re: John Humbert] #4724934 11/06/13 02:33 PM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I have returned a lot of stuff to cabela's with no problems.
If I was you I would just call again and act like you had never called, the next guy might be able to help you out.

Re: Cabelas Customer Service - NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE [Re: Closed Traverse] #4724954 11/06/13 02:39 PM
C
CitySlickerHunter Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Brandon A
I have returned a lot of stuff to cabela's with no problems.
If I was you I would just call again and act like you had never called, the next guy might be able to help you out.
up

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith
10/30/2012 I VOTED for The American
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide