Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Meet the Game Warden. [Re: Ronnie Oneal] #4699819 10/29/13 04:14 AM
Wburke2010 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Ronnie Oneal
Got checked by one in red river co a few years ago while coyote hunting and he was not very nice! I was accused of doing everything but coyote hunting. Ive met some that was cool and others that were not so nice ....

I've had a run in with him too, he wasn't the nicest and it sure didn't help that he backed his truck into a tree in my buddies circle drive way...

Walter

MW Ranch Services
903-303-4523
Metal buildings, welding, equipment repair, dirt work
Re: Meet the Game Warden. [Re: Wburke2010] #4699840 10/29/13 04:24 AM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I'd much rather meet the GW and know who he/she is than never meet em. If you get em to talking, they'll teach ya tons of stuff about the area if you need it. We got pull over leaving Coleman county because my buddy insists on NOT wearing a seat belt on the passenger side, before we knew it he was helping us look at our GPS photos and trying to get a feel of the lay of the land better. I don't remember his name but right around Cisco is where he was.

Oh and he finally put his stinkin seatbelt on. Too bad it takes a LEO telling him to do so to get him to do it. I try and ask what he would do if I rolled the truck by accident. I get no answer every time, but I know he thinks of his kiddos. Maybe one day he'll wise up

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: Meet the Game Warden. [Re: Wburke2010] #4699855 10/29/13 04:30 AM
M
MEXICOHUNTER70 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
About 8 yrs ago while hunting outside of junction during youth weekend my then 5year old son killed his first buck . We took the deer to the local deer processor who are very very good people and when we got there of course there lots of congrats and slaps on the back from lots of hunters . My son was on cloud 9 for sure and I was a very proud father . You know it was just one of those days that ill never forget . Then while all these guys were gathered around the truck the local game warden came over and while I expected for my son to get a congrats from him . The guy just totally grilled my son about did you shoot this deer or did your dad and at first i thought he was joking but no he really turn a great time into an awkward situation and I was plenty P.O. When I told my landlord about it he filed a complaint but nothing ever came of it.

Re: Meet the Game Warden. [Re: unclebubba] #4699858 10/29/13 04:31 AM
F
Finfeathernfurr Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Originally Posted By: unclebubba
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
I have yet to meet a rude GW. And I have been checked many times from 12 yrs old to 40, all have been very professional & courteous. Have had a couple that would frequent our camp at about 10 am to have breakfast with us. I bet they get alot of great free meals.

Then you've never met Leroy.
pulnick?

Re: Meet the Game Warden. [Re: Finfeathernfurr] #4699867 10/29/13 04:37 AM
F
Finfeathernfurr Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Any of y'all ever run into mike pike?

Re: Meet the Game Warden. [Re: MEXICOHUNTER70] #4699881 10/29/13 04:46 AM
B
bigpigtx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Originally Posted By: MEXICOHUNTER70
About 8 yrs ago while hunting outside of junction during youth weekend my then 5year old son killed his first buck . We took the deer to the local deer processor who are very very good people and when we got there of course there lots of congrats and slaps on the back from lots of hunters . My son was on cloud 9 for sure and I was a very proud father . You know it was just one of those days that ill never forget . Then while all these guys were gathered around the truck the local game warden came over and while I expected for my son to get a congrats from him . The guy just totally grilled my son about did you shoot this deer or did your dad and at first i thought he was joking but no he really turn a great time into an awkward situation and I was plenty P.O. When I told my landlord about it he filed a complaint but nothing ever came of it.

So do you mind if I go shoot a bunch of deer on my kiddo's tags? I mean if it's so offensive to ask who's gonna find out?

I used to get offended when I got "carded"...until I turned 21.

Re: Meet the Game Warden. [Re: bigpigtx] #4699894 10/29/13 04:54 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
We typically get a few visits every year. They go through our books and wander around camp, then sit around and bs with us awhile. We encourage them to return and at times they even have a reason to write a ticket. We have a new one out of the academy last September and he seems like another good one. Only had one bad one and he didn't last long, but that was 15 years ago or so.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Meet the Game Warden. [Re: bigpigtx] #4699896 10/29/13 04:56 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: bigpigtx

So do you mind if I go shoot a bunch of deer on my kiddo's tags? I mean if it's so offensive to ask who's gonna find out?

I used to get offended when I got "carded"...until I turned 21.

I understand the asking Bigpig, but sometimes a little tact can go a long ways. As in all professions, some are better than others at that.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Meet the Game Warden. [Re: bigpigtx] #4699901 10/29/13 04:57 AM
M
MEXICOHUNTER70 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
That's funny big pig ! And no I didn't mind him asking at all or checking the tag or his license but if you think it's ok for game warden to act like a turd and grill a 5 year old kid who has done nothing wrong then you have a serious problem . And maybe I didn't make it clear but he flat out scared my son and and just kept asking and I finally just said really dude you want to give him a polygraph I mean My gosh it was a 3.5 year old 4 pt not exactly a monster somebody would shoot out of season and then take to the processor and have his 5 year old lie about it .

Re: Meet the Game Warden. [Re: tlk] #4699912 10/29/13 05:07 AM
R
ryorgensen Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: tlk
Originally Posted By: S.A. hunter
Very little pay? They get paid pretty good.

must have changed then - my son is a deputy sheriff and a few years back he was considering being a GW but the pay was super low compared to other law enforcement salaries

GW salaries are pretty good , a lot more than any SO I've ever heard of but some Pd in big cities pay more than GW.

Robert
Re: Meet the Game Warden. [Re: MEXICOHUNTER70] #4699916 10/29/13 05:10 AM
B
bigpigtx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
If he was a jerk that's wrong. If the complaint was legitimate it probably got canned because it wasn't made by you. It sounds like you were excited and expected something else though. I'm sure it deflated a good time but imagine how many kids have told him their parents shot a deer with their tag on it. Can't blame him for asking is what I'm saying.

Re: Meet the Game Warden. [Re: Finfeathernfurr] #4699920 10/29/13 05:16 AM
R
ryorgensen Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Finfeathernfurr
Any of y'all ever run into mike pike?

Lmao! Anderson county? He was after a buddy of mine for years for road hunting but never caught him.lol. Mike is long been retired now but I think his son is a GW.

Robert
Re: Meet the Game Warden. [Re: wlldraper] #4699981 10/29/13 08:18 AM
H
Hogman4127 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Met Leroy on many occasions and never had a problem.

Re: Meet the Game Warden. [Re: Hogman4127] #4700058 10/29/13 11:20 AM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Hogman4127
Met Leroy on many occasions and never had a problem.

I was once hunting a HF property in Brown County, and we were getting ready for lunch midday at the main house when Leroy strolled up. He had cut the luck on the main gate with bolt cutters. He said he couldn't climb an 8-ft fence, and besides, if he snuck in, he knew he'd be able to catch someone.

The owner asked Leroy if he would just call ahead and then we'd open the gate for him. Leroy said that would only give the hunters time to hide their illegal activity.....which he just KNEW was talking place.

He found nothing, of course, but the owner decided to just leave the gate unlocked whenever he had hunters there. Leroy would average dropping in about once a week. I don't think he ever ticketed anyone to my knowledge.

No doubt, Leroy believed he owned all the land and all the game animals in his jurisdiction. He was the GW version of Judge Roy Bean!

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Meet the Game Warden. [Re: Hogman4127] #4700060 10/29/13 11:20 AM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
I have had two bad experiances with the wardens. about 8yrs ago i shot a buck and took him to the check station to be checked in and the biologist was giving me a lesson on age of my buck when the warden pulls in and starts giving me a hard time saying i didnt have the deer properly tagged because i had the tag in a small clear plastic bag and it was tapped to the antler. The tag could be seen and read thru the bag but the warden said he was gonna issue me a ticket anyway. Luckily for me the biologist stepped in and told the warden that he knows the laws just as well and i wasnt breaking any law and told the warden to go bother someone that was. Well that really p.o.ed the warden and he left the parking lot spinning gravel. The second time i got checked on the lake and the warden was in a jet ski and after he checked us out he saw another boat and spun the jet ski around and smacked my boat hard enough to put a big scratch down the side. I yelled at him and he told me to get over it and went after the other boat! I know wardens have a job to do and i dont mind them doing it but i didnt deserve the crap i got from either one and wasnt breaking any laws. That is the only times i have talked to a warden and both were bad.

(Sig Pic to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: Meet the Game Warden. [Re: Hoytman] #4700185 10/29/13 12:56 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
The asking a kid if he was the one that shot the deer during youth season is a delicate balancing act-but it would seem to me it has to be done. "Grilling" is too much of course so I understand where you are coming from.

But I just know there are MANY adults who shoot deer on youth weekend and then make their kids accomplices. Makes my blood boil.....

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Meet the Game Warden. [Re: unclebubba] #4700597 10/29/13 03:12 PM
B
bunker1965 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted By: unclebubba
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
I have yet to meet a rude GW. And I have been checked many times from 12 yrs old to 40, all have been very professional & courteous. Have had a couple that would frequent our camp at about 10 am to have breakfast with us. I bet they get alot of great free meals.

Then you've never met Leroy.

I respectfully disagree. Leroy is fair. He treats EVERYONE the same. If your breaking the law and being a jackwagon it just gets worse. You have to realize that with any LEO position you have people that constantly lie to you and mislead you. You have to question every aspect of the situation. Hes been in the business quite awhile and may come off crasp at times, but again he treats everyone the same.

Re: Meet the Game Warden. [Re: bunker1965] #4700983 10/29/13 04:51 PM
R
retfuz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I've known Vance for many years, before he was a game warden, and can assure you he is a first class gentleman and a good guy. He's a hard worker and does his job well. Mills county is lucky to have him. Heck, I even like Fred!

Last edited by retfuz; 10/29/13 04:52 PM.
Re: Met the Game Warden. [Re: wlldraper] #4701127 10/29/13 05:36 PM
D
ddmm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Hey wlldraper, are you hunting off of 575? I'm right next to the Caradan cemetary. Sending you a PM.

Re: Meet the Game Warden. [Re: wlldraper] #4701261 10/29/13 06:05 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
We have a lady GW that usually drops in our camp once per year and visits a while. Very nice lady. Almost have to run her off sometimes so we can go hunting. Never had a problem with her at all. I have never been ticketed by a GW but a buddy and I were fishing one day and he got my buddy for some undersized Crappie. We were measuring them all but didn't make sure their mouth was fully closed apparently. 4 of them were 1/8" short and he got a ticket for each one. I didn't have a problem with the ticket he got but the GW was pretty dang rude. My buddy also had a 10 pound female bass in the livewell that we were going to take back to the marina so they could take a picture and release her. The GW saw it and asked "are you going to throw that Bass back?". My buddy just said "I was but I'm in the mood to eat her now". The GW just said "whatever" and drove off. We released the Bass after he left.

Re: Meet the Game Warden. [Re: BowSlayer] #4701315 10/29/13 06:22 PM
F
Finfeathernfurr Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
I saw Leroy write a bunch of old timer tickets on lake brownwood for crappie that had been in baskets are obviously were missing an inch of tail from being in there do long they were right at 9 and 15/16 inches with half a tail lol. @genson mike is my uncle lol yep Anderson been retired a while.

Re: Meet the Game Warden. [Re: Finfeathernfurr] #4701318 10/29/13 06:23 PM
F
Finfeathernfurr Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Guess they should have used a stringer lol I went to school with Leroy's daughter.

Re: Meet the Game Warden. [Re: S.A. hunter] #4701685 10/29/13 08:08 PM
C
Cbeck Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
All career ladder advancements are based on a combination of longevity, job knowledge, job performance and adherence to agency and division work rules. All salaries are subject to change without notice:

•Game Warden Cadet $3,131/month
•Game Warden I (Probationary) $3,421/month
•Game Warden I (1 year) $4,131/month
•Game Warden II (4 years) $4,749/month
•Game Warden III (8 years) $5,098/month
•Game Warden IV (12 years) $5,333/month
•Game Warden V (16 years) $5,586/month
•Game Warden VI (20 years) $5,724/month
•Stipend for education or certification: $50 - $150/month
•Stipend for second language: $50/month

Thats a pretty good salary but a whole lot of work!!

Re: Meet the Game Warden. [Re: Finfeathernfurr] #4701744 10/29/13 08:26 PM
M
MEXICOHUNTER70 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Like I said I realize adults have shot deer during youth season . I don't have any problem with a game warden doing his or her job iam glad they are here . And I had no problem with him asking my son but I promise had any of you guys been standing around that pickup that day you would have been in shock as well as pi$$ed off especially it was your little man getting grilled .

Re: Meet the Game Warden. [Re: MEXICOHUNTER70] #4701965 10/29/13 09:30 PM
C
Chuck McDonald Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Like I said I realize adults have shot deer during youth season . I don't have any problem with a game warden doing his or her job iam glad they are here . And I had no problem with him asking my son but I promise had any of you guys been standing around that pickup that day you would have been in shock as well as pi$$ed off especially it was your little man getting grilled .

I agree, If a GW comes up to my 7yo and asks. I don't mind, but if he stands there and grills her I will be forced to open my mouth.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide