Print Thread
Hand made calls #4681807 10/22/13 04:37 PM
S
Scoop Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Sniper John's thread on his damaged custom calls got me to thinking. Didn't want to hijack his thread, so I started this one.

Are there any shows/expos in Texas that would have custom call makers showing/selling their work? Maybe some calling demonstrations or seminars? I know the NWTF has conferences and such but not sure what they offer and where. Before I got hooked on Turkey hunting, I would go to an artifact show that had a caller or 2 with a booth, but that was many years ago.

Just thought it would be neat to go to a weekend event like that somewhere to see what was available, meet a few call makers, and maybe learn a thing or 2.

Re: Hand made calls [Re: Scoop] #4682743 10/22/13 09:46 PM
R
ramslam Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
NWTF national convention is held every year in Nashville in February. There are tons of custom call makers there and there is a large silent/live auction for custom calls. If a call is entered into the call competition (judged on sound quality, appearance, overall quality etc) then it is auctioned in the silent auction on Saturday. You can get some great buys on some awesome calls.
There is also another NWTF convention/call competition held in Wisconsin every year in January I think, referred to as the Midwest Convention. I have bought some really nice calls there for cheap. However, I had a local guy I know go to the show and he bid on my behalf. I did not attend that show but the National convention is a good time and anything turkey oriented is there. Hope this helps.

Re: Hand made calls [Re: ramslam] #4682922 10/22/13 10:47 PM
S
Scoop Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Thanks... May not be in the cards for this year but we'll check it out.

Re: Hand made calls [Re: Scoop] #4683509 10/23/13 02:09 AM
G
Gamblinman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php

Go to the turkey call classifieds. All kinds of custom made calls for sale.

Gman

" I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to."
Re: Hand made calls [Re: Gamblinman] #4684430 10/23/13 01:33 PM
S
Scoop Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php

Go to the turkey call classifieds. All kinds of custom made calls for sale.

Gman

Thanks for the link. I'll browse it when I have a bit more time. Really looking for more of a weekend event with hands on / face time, but I bet notices for something like that would be on there too.

Re: Hand made calls [Re: Scoop] #4684918 10/23/13 04:17 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The people that run the inside shows would stick the callmakers in some out of the way place because of the noise factor. Or the tables next to us would complain, it was/is a no win situation.

Then add in the issue of everyone looking for a bargain at gun shows the shows are just not profitable enough to spend the money on booth fees and travel expenses. Why spend 2 days listening to bs and lies for a few dollars worth of sales? Just not worth it.

This is just one the basic reason you don't see callmakers at the shows. For most of it is a hobby, an expensive hobby that we enjoy, the sales only help to fund the hobby. It wouldn't be a hobby if we have to work at it. Today the CNC guys are kicking out "handmade" calls that look handmade, and we cannot compete price wise with them, so why try.

I could go on and on, but that should give you an idea of why callmakers skip the shows.

If you want suggestions for specific calls, I can send you names with websites of guys I would buy from.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Hand made calls [Re: dogcatcher] #4686358 10/24/13 02:04 AM
S
Scoop Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
The people that run the inside shows would stick the callmakers in some out of the way place because of the noise factor. Or the tables next to us would complain, it was/is a no win situation.

Then add in the issue of everyone looking for a bargain at gun shows the shows are just not profitable enough to spend the money on booth fees and travel expenses. Why spend 2 days listening to bs and lies for a few dollars worth of sales? Just not worth it.

This is just one the basic reason you don't see callmakers at the shows. For most of it is a hobby, an expensive hobby that we enjoy, the sales only help to fund the hobby. It wouldn't be a hobby if we have to work at it. Today the CNC guys are kicking out "handmade" calls that look handmade, and we cannot compete price wise with them, so why try.

I could go on and on, but that should give you an idea of why callmakers skip the shows.

If you want suggestions for specific calls, I can send you names with websites of guys I would buy from.

Makes sense what ya say...

I guess to get their due, a turkey call maker would be at a competition type event like the NWTF deals mentioned above that focus on turkey hunting. Bonus would be to maybe learn a bit on how to better use the calls. I had a guy out last year that had a neat custom box call, but he ran off every bird in a 3 mile area. Don't want to be that guy.

I have some nice custom pot calls from Wendell Rye in Arkansas - Lights Out Calls. Sent him a good supply of kiln dried mesquite and he sent me some of his calls - slate, aluminum, glass, copper... Led me to appreciate a custom call over the crap you can buy at Academy. Thought it would be good to look at upgrading my box call, and see what else is available. What box call makers would you recommend?

Re: Hand made calls [Re: Scoop] #4686400 10/24/13 02:19 AM
R
ramslam Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I have a bunch of box calls from a lot of the top custom makers. Do you have a price range in mind? Only reason I ask is because some of the calls are in higher demand and the makers charge more for them. I have bought some real winners and some real duds so don't mind passing along a few names. Do you want a long box or short box?

Re: Hand made calls [Re: ramslam] #4686517 10/24/13 02:52 AM
S
Scoop Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: ramslam
I have a bunch of box calls from a lot of the top custom makers. Do you have a price range in mind? Only reason I ask is because some of the calls are in higher demand and the makers charge more for them. I have bought some real winners and some real duds so don't mind passing along a few names. Do you want a long box or short box?

The short answer is I'm not sure yet. One reason I wanted to look / listen to what was out there. The one I use now is a short box, and it's OK. Seen a few longer boxes and they can really reach out there. Don't mind paying for quality. Better than throwing away the same amount of money a bit at a time on mass market junk. I can appreciate a well made craft for the workmanship that went into it.

Re: Hand made calls [Re: Scoop] #4686577 10/24/13 03:16 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Check with Larry at his site. http://www.prairiecalls.com/

If you want to spend money on a fancy one send me a message and I will look up another guys email address. Mind you this other guy is an artist, his will be works of art and are not cheap hunting calls.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Hand made calls [Re: dogcatcher] #4687502 10/24/13 03:47 PM
R
ramslam Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
For a reasonably priced short box, you can't go wrong with Al Shoemaker's short boxes. I have two that the body is made out of Limba wood. They both sound great. Start out higher pitched and then roll on the yelp with good rasp at the end. His site is www.sscustomcalls.com His long boxes are good but Marlin Watkins in Ohio probably makes one of the best long boxes. You can google him and get his information. Not sure if he has a web site, but I doubt it.
Tell Al that Woody Beacham sent you.
Good luck and any other questions don't hesitate to ask. Love to talk turkey.

Re: Hand made calls [Re: dogcatcher] #4741089 11/12/13 09:14 AM
B
bearman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
www.twistingcreekturkeycalls.com. Jeff makes
Some excellent calls. www.paulscalls.com is another Albert Paul makes great calls also. I have short boxes from both of them can't go wrong either one.

Re: Hand made calls [Re: bearman] #4743658 11/13/13 02:03 AM
S
Scoop Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Thanks for all the input. I'll probably end up picking up more than one box before spring and see what talks best in my area. I have a bunch of nice pot calls and some just fit my hand better and get a better response. Still thinking about NWTF in Feb...

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide