Page 1 of 2 1 2
Scent Control #4665684 10/16/13 05:02 PM
W
wackyman17 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
W
I am a bow hunter and so far this season I have been pleased with my scent control but I want to know what some of yalls best techniques are? Are scent blocking clothes worth the money?

Re: Scent Control [Re: wackyman17] #4665694 10/16/13 05:06 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
The wind is your best friend but scent free clothes and body are very important also if you want to get really close to wary game.

Re: Scent Control [Re: KG68] #4665801 10/16/13 05:56 PM
T
Topshot Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
shower with non-scented soaps
arm and hammer deodorant, non scented
wash all clothes (except jacket and insulated bibs)in all natural, no scent detergent
dry with dirt scented dryer towels
put immediately into a dry bag and seal it up.

put on the morning of hunt after any and all smelly foods are away. never put gas in the truck the morning of a hunt or with hunting clothes on.

i just purchased cabelas scentlock silent weave insulated bibs so once the temps drop to the 20-40's i will give them a try. normally around 250 bucks, got mine for 80

if the wind is wrong, i'm not worried, but it is better to have the wind in my favor while bowhunting.

Re: Scent Control [Re: Topshot] #4665821 10/16/13 06:03 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
As hard as you try to be scent free and buy the best scent free clothing the deer can still nail you if the wind is not right. You might fool a few but you won't fool the older and smarter deer.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Scent Control [Re: stxranchman] #4665835 10/16/13 06:09 PM
T
Topshot Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
As hard as you try to be scent free and buy the best scent free clothing the deer can still nail you if the wind is not right. You might fool a few but you won't fool the older and smarter deer.

sure, its possible, but consider one's diet, the more meat and un-healthy food you eat the more you stink. its just the way it is. Eat healthy foods and natural b.o. will be far less; put on a cover scent and the deer won't even know you are there.

Re: Scent Control [Re: Topshot] #4665842 10/16/13 06:11 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
No beans or onions before you go out.

Re: Scent Control [Re: Topshot] #4665845 10/16/13 06:12 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Topshot

sure, its possible, but consider one's diet, the more meat and un-healthy food you eat the more you stink. its just the way it is. Eat healthy foods and natural b.o. will be far less; put on a cover scent and the deer won't even know you are there.

BS. Cover scents don't cover anything.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Scent Control [Re: Topshot] #4665858 10/16/13 06:16 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Won't happen 100% of the time, not 50% of the time. You might fool a few dumb young ones that don't care but you will not fool 100% of the mature deer. I never use scent free clothes or cover scents at all. I have deer that never bust me around all the time when the wind is right. If the wind swirls or they come in wrong then they not likely to stay around very long. I'll hunt the wind and pick my location to my adventage over wasting money on gimmicks.

Re: Scent Control [Re: don k] #4665863 10/16/13 06:18 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: don k

I eat apple scented corn with all my meals when I hunt. loco I keep my clothes stored in it also. rolleyes

Re: Scent Control [Re: stxranchman] #4665874 10/16/13 06:22 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: don k

I eat apple scented corn with all my meals when I hunt. loco I keep my clothes stored in it also. rolleyes

This reminds me... I put on off bug repellent when I went to the stand this past weekend. It was a scented can. Walking to the blind it just kept going through my head that that smell was familiar, it finaly hit me it smelled exactly like mummies apple scented corn! popcorn

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Scent Control [Re: Topshot] #4665878 10/16/13 06:26 PM
H
Hunt2Fish Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
wash all clothes (except jacket and insulated bibs)in all natural, no scent detergent

put on the morning of hunt after any and all smelly foods are away. never put gas in the truck the morning of a hunt or with hunting clothes on.

i just purchased cabelas scentlock silent weave insulated bibs so once the temps drop to the 20-40's i will give them a try. normally around 250 bucks, got mine for 80

if the wind is wrong, i'm not worried, but it is better to have the wind in my favor while bowhunting.

When I first started hunting about 15 years ago, I tried all the scent cover products out there, shampoo, soap, deodorant, etc. and over the years I realized that I just wasted my money on all those bogus products that make no difference when you're out hunting.

Re: Scent Control [Re: stxranchman] #4665880 10/16/13 06:26 PM
M
Medinabuck Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
I use to hunt with a guy whose family ate meat but he was a vegetarian = worse B.O. I ever smelled. Guess, veggies aren't that healthy after all.

Re: Scent Control [Re: Medinabuck] #4665896 10/16/13 06:34 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Medinabuck
I use to hunt with a guy whose family ate meat but he was a vegetarian = worse B.O. I ever smelled. Guess, veggies aren't that healthy after all.

nidea So I guess you are saying is eat what you want...if your gonna stink sick your gonna stink no matter what you eat up

Re: Scent Control [Re: stxranchman] #4665924 10/16/13 06:49 PM
F
fishhuntgolfgeek Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
There's no such thing as scent free clothes. At best, it should be called scent reduced clothing. Hunt the winds and reduce your scent output as much as possible by bathing in no scent soap, deodorants, and wash clothes with no scent detergent. Put your clothing outside to air out the night before you hunt. Field & Stream magazine did a test of scent free clothing and used a drug sniffing dog to find the hunter. In each case, the dog was able to sniff out the hunter dressed in scent free clothing. I use to buy high dollar scent free clothes until I realized it was a waste of money. yingyang
PS...On my last hunt my guide and I used Windicator to constantly monitor wind direction. Windicator is a small eye dropper bottle filled with talc powder. We always planned our movements based on the winds.

Last edited by fishhuntgolfgeek; 10/16/13 07:04 PM.

Live Free or Die...
Re: Scent Control [Re: stxranchman] #4665931 10/16/13 06:51 PM
O
oilfldtrash Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
I think sent control helps but i am a firm believer in obviously wind direction but most importantly elevation. The higher the better IMO.

Re: Scent Control [Re: Medinabuck] #4665945 10/16/13 06:55 PM
T
Topshot Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Quote:
Bird Dog

Loc: Lakehills, TX I use to hunt with a guy whose family ate meat but he was a vegetarian = worse B.O. I ever smelled. Guess, veggies aren't that healthy after all.

haha, did he take showers and use deodorant? food isn't the only factor . it takes the whole package to work right. i guess it comes down to personal preference and experience.

if done right, scent control works. however, if you expect scent control to make up for lack of hygene and care, it won't work.

Re: Scent Control [Re: Topshot] #4665988 10/16/13 07:11 PM
P
P & Y Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
I've got scentblocker and scentlok suits but rarely use them any more. Just regular clothes washed in scent free detergent seems to work as good as anything. I do everything i can but really not a scent freak like i used to be. If you only hunt with good wind you have nothing to worry about.

Re: Scent Control [Re: P & Y] #4666000 10/16/13 07:15 PM
J
Javelin225ho Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
i use scent free detergent, but only after i clean the washer and run it with just water a few times. then i store all my clothes in a waterproof bag. i get dressed at the truck, spray down with scent elimination from apparition scents, i spray cover scent on my boots and hat. definately play the wind, its your force multiplier.

Re: Scent Control [Re: Topshot] #4666036 10/16/13 07:24 PM
W
wackyman17 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
W

This is what I do and have had the best of luck with. However i have 3 brothers and we always go places in my pick up truck, so it usually smells worse than anything. all kinds of nasty B.O. and farts all mixed into a little closed off space. so i have gotten to the point where i will wash two sets of clothes in unscented laundry detergent (Dead Down Wind Evolve 3D) and dirt scented dryer sheets. one set is for driving out to where i hunt and it is just a shirt and shorts/jeans, then when i get to where i am going i put on my hunting clothes. keeping the clothes sealed off to the outside world is important. before i did this i would get busted any time a deer was even close to my downwind but now i have deer walk 5 yards away from me downwind with no thought that i was ever there. im very confident in this.

Re: Scent Control [Re: wackyman17] #4666121 10/16/13 07:47 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
When I go to our ranch for the most part right now we have a lot of projects we are working on. I bust my but all day and typically hunt out of box blinds wearing what I worked sweated got diesel etc on all day, no problems.

I also have gone bow hunting this year quite a bit more and have been sitting in bush blinds a popup and have in past sat in a lawn chair just to see whats coming. I don't wash my clothes in anything I wear my normal Degree Cool Rush deodorant and the only thing I have had smell me was a deer at a couple feet down wind and I sit on the ground to boot. I will never buy into any of the scent lock clothes or sprays.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Scent Control [Re: redchevy] #4666325 10/16/13 08:34 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
last time I was out at the lease we stayed into dark for some night time hunting. I had 4 bucks come to the feeder we were upwind from, all were down wind of me and my son, and we were wearing normal clothes with no scent apparel or remover or anything else. We sat in the bed of my pickup and watched the deer move form the tree line to the feed pen and eat for along time. Then one got out and started walking right toward us. He walked straight into our downwind and just stopped and looked. He didn't see anything moving so he kept walking. It wasn't until we started talking that he trotted a little ways (maybe 20 yards) further into our downwind, and then he stopped again. he never blew, never ran off, he just walked to the fence and jumped over. The other three eventually went their way from the feeder, but none got that close to us. The buck that got close was at one time less than 20 yards from us, sitting in the back of a pickup, wearing normal clothes, upwind...

Does that mean my son and I are naturally scent free? I think it really means the deer had nothing to fear from us as the hunting pressure is low and he didn't know what we were so it didn't startle him.

I have had more deer blow at me when they can't see than when they actually smell something. If they smell and see something they don't like, they bolt. When they can't see what they smell, they typically blow to get a better idea of what it is they can't see. I have had more deer blow at me during night time predator hunts than any other time, and mostly we run into them without knowing they were there.

Same night as the previous story, we had a coyote walk within about 15 yards of us, straight down wind of us...he was coming right toward us and I think he was curious more than anything what the smell was, but there was a tree between him and us and my son couldn't get the gun up in time before he bolted.

I think scent control is more complex than just trying to cover it or get rid of it, and sometimes having scent is better than having a weird scent. just my $0.02

Re: Scent Control [Re: Texas buckeye] #4666402 10/16/13 08:52 PM
W
wackyman17 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
W
Are there lots of people around these deer all of the time?

Re: Scent Control [Re: Texas buckeye] #4666443 10/16/13 09:01 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye

I think scent control is more complex than just trying to cover it or get rid of it, and sometimes having scent is better than having a weird scent. just my $0.02

We have worked on a feed pen with one person or more smoking, dropped the butts and squashed in place. Dropped beer cans to pick up later, in other words we didn't care about scent control. This feeder is visible from our cabin, 100 yards, within an hour of picking up and leaving we had deer in the feeder pen.

Deer ignore any scent they are used to smelling that hasn't created a warning. Different noises, scents, pickups, ATV's even people will cause the deer to go into warning modes. In my opinion the more time you spend in the area all year long the less cautious they are.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Scent Control [Re: wackyman17] #4666448 10/16/13 09:03 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: wackyman17

IME deer are actually more gentile and less likely to flee from humans if they hardly ever see or smell anyone.

Re: Scent Control [Re: stxranchman] #4666479 10/16/13 09:10 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: wackyman17

IME deer are actually more gentile and less likely to flee from humans if they hardly ever see or smell anyone.

I agree, on larger rural properties there is a good chance you may find deer that have never had any interaction with people and don't know they need to be afraid.

It's hell eatin em live
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide