Page 1 of 2 1 2
Chocolate or Silver Lab Stud #4573292 09/16/13 08:48 PM
H
Harley Dog Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
H
I'm looking for a chocolate or silver lab stud with good pedigree for my chocolate lab. She will be 3yrs old in dec. I live in Big Spring Tx. Thank you.

Re: Chocolate or Silver Lab Stud [Re: Harley Dog] #4573857 09/17/13 12:27 AM
P
Pastor Josh Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
welcome

popcorn

The wild life of today is not ours to do with as we please. The original stock was given to us in trust for the benefit both of the present and the future. We must render an accounting of this trust to those who come after us.

-Teddy
Re: Chocolate or Silver Lab Stud [Re: Pastor Josh] #4574424 09/17/13 02:34 AM
E
easton1025 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Silver Lab..Good pedigree..... bolt

Re: Chocolate or Silver Lab Stud [Re: easton1025] #4574455 09/17/13 02:41 AM
B
Bigjoe8504 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: easton1025
Silver Lab..Good pedigree..... bolt
to be fair he asked for Choc or silver... at least it will technically be chocolate top and bottom

Re: Chocolate or Silver Lab Stud [Re: Bigjoe8504] #4574946 09/17/13 12:31 PM
S
ShotGunWillie Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
That's an oxymoron, to have a silver lab with a good pedigree.

You won't find a silver lab, silver factored lab, charcoal, champagne, pewter, with a pedigree any better than, "He's a good hunting dog". Any you can't prove good hunting lines unless you've hunted with the dogs on the pedigree.

As far as chocolates go, there are a ton of nice chocolates or chocolate factored black males in Texas and Oklahoma. Rody Best has two really nice chocolate males, Sweet Water Retrievers has a nice black chocolate factored male Howdy on the top side and English FT on the bottom, Richard Trotter from Rock Solid Retrievers has one that I know of, then there's the Roux dawgs up north of the river. There are nice chocolates that I am certain I am missing and for some reason can't think of. There are a couple of nice up and coming Chocolates in OK as well, that in six months to a year or so will be nice studs.

Re: Chocolate or Silver Lab Stud [Re: ShotGunWillie] #4620142 10/01/13 06:24 PM
B
burgerboy68 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Where are you located?

Re: Chocolate or Silver Lab Stud [Re: ShotGunWillie] #4622088 10/02/13 06:37 AM
B
Bdontexoma Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Not wanting to step on any toes or stir the pot at all. But I feel that these statements are simply not true. Again not trying or going to get into a pissing match either, just stating how I see it.

Originally Posted By: ShotGunWillie

It’s not an oxymoron at all. I’ll show you... Simply speaking, would you say that you have seen a chocolate lab with a “good” pedigree? If you said yes, then you just debunked your own statement. Technically speaking silver labs are registered as chocolates and could have just as good of a pedigree as the next chocolate lab.

You won't find a silver lab,..., with a pedigree any better than, "He's a good hunting dog".

I disagree with this as well. Just as the first part of your statement, If you can find a choc lab with a pedigree better than ”He’s a good huntin dog” then you can just as likely find a pedigree for a silver as well. I’ve seen 2 titled silver labs if my memory serves me correctly. I’ll try to find them. And yes I know just because it has the title it doesn’t mean its worthy of being called a hunting dog. blah blah blah

On a side note. At one point in history there were no yellow or chocolate labs. They were viewed in that time just as you are viewing the silvers and reds now. Yellow and choc’s were culled because they thought they were inferior to the blacks. Well at some point (actually in 1899) the first yellow lab was recognized in the national registry (Ben of Hyde). It wasent until the 1930’s that people began to accept the chocolate and allow them to be registered. So if you believe that the color of the coat as being silver or white or red does not make them a Labrador you are sadly mistaken. Intensive genetic testing has proven time and time again that these “shades” of colors as just as much of a lab as your blacks, yellows and chocolates.

Re: Chocolate or Silver Lab Stud [Re: Harley Dog] #4622091 10/02/13 06:39 AM
B
Bdontexoma Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Harley Dog
I'm looking for a chocolate or silver lab stud with good pedigree for my chocolate lab. She will be 3yrs old in dec. I live in Big Spring Tx. Thank you.

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...r_L#Post4120042

Re: Chocolate or Silver Lab Stud [Re: Bdontexoma] #4622202 10/02/13 11:32 AM
M
mformby Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
I have a 5.5yr male that I've been wanting to stud for a little while. Of course, on his papers, he's a chocolate. No need to address that. But he's silver. He's also a terrific hunting dog and a great family dog. He's my best bud. Just pm me. I'm in Austin.

Re: Chocolate or Silver Lab Stud [Re: Bdontexoma] #4622270 10/02/13 12:21 PM
M
Mud Shark Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: brandon f
Not wanting to step on any toes or stir the pot at all. But I feel that these statements are simply not true. Again not trying or going to get into a pissing match either, just stating how I see it.

It’s not an oxymoron at all. I’ll show you... Simply speaking, would you say that you have seen a chocolate lab with a “good” pedigree? If you said yes, then you just debunked your own statement. Technically speaking silver labs are registered as chocolates and could have just as good of a pedigree as the next chocolate lab.

You won't find a silver lab,..., with a pedigree any better than, "He's a good hunting dog".

I disagree with this as well. Just as the first part of your statement, If you can find a choc lab with a pedigree better than ”He’s a good huntin dog” then you can just as likely find a pedigree for a silver as well. I’ve seen 2 titled silver labs if my memory serves me correctly. I’ll try to find them. And yes I know just because it has the title it doesn’t mean its worthy of being called a hunting dog. blah blah blah

On a side note. At one point in history there were no yellow or chocolate labs. They were viewed in that time just as you are viewing the silvers and reds now. Yellow and choc’s were culled because they thought they were inferior to the blacks. Well at some point (actually in 1899) the first yellow lab was recognized in the national registry (Ben of Hyde). It wasent until the 1930’s that people began to accept the chocolate and allow them to be registered. So if you believe that the color of the coat as being silver or white or red does not make them a Labrador you are sadly mistaken. Intensive genetic testing has proven time and time again that these “shades” of colors as just as much of a lab as your blacks, yellows and chocolates.

I see where you're coming from, but the fact of the matter is; Silver labs are bred to be silver, bottom line. They're not bred for intelligence, or birdiness, or being biddable. There are several really nice chocolate dogs out there, no denying that. In fact, my family just bought a pup out of FC AFC Wing Magic's Louisiana Roux MH and we couldn't be happier with her. The likelyhood of finding a silver lab with a good pedigree is extremely slim, I believe that you said you know of two titled silver dogs...TWO? That's not enough to convince me that a silver dogs are bred for the traits I mentioned, which are important to me.

I know for a fact that the OP doesn't want traiats that would benefit the breed, I spoke to them. It's not their fault, they just weren't educated on it.

http://www.labradorcouncil.com/silver-labrador-genetics-and-terminology.html

To combat your "If you can find a choc lab with a pedigree better than ”He’s a good huntin dog” then you can just as likely find a pedigree for a silver as well" is not true statistically. It is an allele of one chromosome out of 76. If it was true, there would be a lot more silver labs with good pedigrees, and the AKC would probably recognise them for being silver. The chances of getting a silver lab from a chocolate/chocolate breeding is extrememly slim as well.

So I think your point holds water, but is holds very little. Just my opinion.

Mud Shark

Re: Chocolate or Silver Lab Stud [Re: Mud Shark] #4623353 10/02/13 04:43 PM
B
Bdontexoma Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Mud, I agree with you that almost all silvers are bred simply for their color. I'm not denying that, nor am I going to argue with you on that. But then again, so are a lot of reds and whites as well. But are they still labs? YES. And that was the point that I was trying to make. They are still labradors and can still preform to the same standards as labradors that have "good" pedigrees. Personally, I think its important to tell people all of the facts and try to not be biased if they are going to make statements like ShotGun did. I know everyone has a right to say what they want. But if you spend a little time to educate people and let them make a decision based on what you have told them, I think you are doing the industry a favor.

SO..
Are silvers still Labs? yeah they are.

Can they still hunt and have a good pedigree? yeah they can.

Are you getting ripped off spending >$1000 on a silver lab, well thats up to you. But yeah probably if your looking for a great hunting retriever. $1000 could buy a hell of a black lab thats already trained and possibly even titled.

Re: Chocolate or Silver Lab Stud [Re: Bdontexoma] #4623480 10/02/13 05:13 PM
S
ShotGunWillie Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Show me a silver lab with a good pedigree, sired by an MH, QAA, FC, AFC, and a dam with a JH or better, hell show me a silver lab sired by a SH. Not going to happen you can't show me a proven "good" pedigree with a silver as the offspring product. That isn't going to happen. There is not a single silver lab with a pedigree that isn't primarily made up of unproven "hunting dogs". Could there be field titles five generations back, yes, but that was bred out in exchange for color.

Silver labs are bred for color alone, not for ability, drive, health reasons, just color......

Re: Chocolate or Silver Lab Stud [Re: Bdontexoma] #4623492 10/02/13 05:17 PM
S
ShotGunWillie Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I’ve seen 2 titled silver labs if my memory serves me correctly. I’ll try to find them. And yes I know just because it has the title it doesn’t mean its worthy of being called a hunting dog. blah blah blah

Please provide some information on these titled silver labs. I will be waiting patiently for the information.

Re: Chocolate or Silver Lab Stud [Re: Bdontexoma] #4623565 10/02/13 05:37 PM
S
steel shot Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Mud, I agree with you that almost all silvers are bred simply for their color. I'm not denying that, nor am I going to argue with you on that. But then again, so are a lot of reds and whites as well. But are they still labs? YES. And that was the point that I was trying to make. They are still labradors and can still preform to the same standards as labradors that have "good" pedigrees. Personally, I think its important to tell people all of the facts and try to not be biased if they are going to make statements like ShotGun did. I know everyone has a right to say what they want. But if you spend a little time to educate people and let them make a decision based on what you have told them, I think you are doing the industry a favor.

SO..

Are you getting ripped off spending >$1000 on a silver lab, well thats up to you. But yeah probably if your looking for a great hunting retriever. $1000 could buy a hell of a black lab thats already trained and possibly even titled.

Really? That title with be nothing more than a JH, in most cases for $1000.

Re: Chocolate or Silver Lab Stud [Re: steel shot] #4623591 10/02/13 05:43 PM
H
huck18 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Your not going to find a lab that's already trained and titled for a $1000. You can buy a good pup for that but not a started dog and damn sure not a titled dog even if the title is just a JH.

Quality trainers cost about $500 a month and up and a good quality pup is going to cost at least $700 so your math just does not add up.

Going rate for a basic started dog will be about $3000 and up. You could get lucky and get one that someone needs to get rid of for maybe $2000 if your really lucky.

And a JH title aint showing much. It's basically a natural ability retrieving test except you have to deliver to hand. There are tons of dogs that have got JH titles and never could make to jump to SH.

Last edited by huck18; 10/02/13 05:44 PM.
Re: Chocolate or Silver Lab Stud [Re: Bdontexoma] #4623608 10/02/13 05:47 PM
H
huck18 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H

SO..

Are silvers labs? Of course they are but there are a lot of labs out there that couldn't hunt if there life depended on it because they were bred for looks and color instead of the traits they should have been bred for.

Re: Chocolate or Silver Lab Stud [Re: huck18] #4625249 10/03/13 12:59 AM
S
SilverDogs Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Since your only getting response's on people opinions and not the answer to you original question on silver labs ill put in mine....They are great, my female is 5 and shames alot of other dogs out in the field.

[Linked Image]
Re: Chocolate or Silver Lab Stud [Re: SilverDogs] #4625489 10/03/13 01:56 AM
S
ShotGunWillie Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
The OP asked for a silver lab with a good pedigree, how do you judge a good pedigree? What is a good pedigree? If HT/FT titles are your standard to gauge a pedigree as good or bad, then how would you find a good silver stud with a good pedigree. Fact remains, silvers are bred not for performance or to uphold the breed standard, or benefit the breed at all, they are bred solely based on color and the demand sets the $1500.00 price tag.

So what is a good silver pedigree, still waiting....

Re: Chocolate or Silver Lab Stud [Re: Bdontexoma] #4625975 10/03/13 05:35 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
they were inferior to the blacks.

Still are.

peep

[Linked Image]

Re: Chocolate or Silver Lab Stud [Re: Fooshman] #4626046 10/03/13 10:37 AM
M
Mud Shark Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Fooshman

Still are.

peep

True

Mud Shark

Re: Chocolate or Silver Lab Stud [Re: Mud Shark] #4626164 10/03/13 11:49 AM
S
ShotGunWillie Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: Mud Shark
Originally Posted By: Fooshman

Still are.

peep

True

And now we move on to the next debate........

Re: Chocolate or Silver Lab Stud [Re: ShotGunWillie] #4641130 10/08/13 07:02 PM
A
ACooper Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
Show me a silver lab with a good pedigree, sired by an MH, QAA, FC, AFC, and a dam with a JH or better, hell show me a silver lab sired by a SH. Not going to happen you can't show me a proven "good" pedigree with a silver as the offspring product. That isn't going to happen. There is not a single silver lab with a pedigree that isn't primarily made up of unproven "hunting dogs". Could there be field titles five generations back, yes, but that was bred out in exchange for color.

Silver labs are bred for color alone, not for ability, drive, health reasons, just color......

Maybe the weim thats a few generations back was a SH??

Re: Chocolate or Silver Lab Stud [Re: ACooper] #4657667 10/14/13 12:22 PM
S
ShotGunWillie Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Still waiting

Last edited by ShotGunWillie; 10/14/13 12:22 PM.
Re: Chocolate or Silver Lab Stud [Re: Harley Dog] #4921109 01/20/14 03:41 AM
T
Texas Tatonkas Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
The whole argument is funny considering all dog breeds we have today were bred to what they are to meet the desires of owners. So your precious little "greater than all things" chocolate lab - was engineered by people to be what you have today. It's a funny argument, lots of ignorance.

Re: Chocolate or Silver Lab Stud [Re: Harley Dog] #4921200 01/20/14 04:29 AM
T
Texas Tatonkas Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
And anything that grows hair sheds hair. Trust me, I'm bald.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide