Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: txshntr] #4613146 09/29/13 09:20 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Somebody needs to remember this one when the year end awards roll around...

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4613186 09/29/13 09:33 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I've got an award I'd like to nominate it for...

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4613221 09/29/13 09:41 PM
S
Scooterb Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I don't think the OP has a problem where people shoot a deer for someone they know, or someone they work with who can't afford to hunt or is physically unable to hunt. I think he's getting at the trophy hunters who shoot 4+ trophy deer a year and think they are doing the world a favor by donating the meat to food banks because they want to cut the head off and wash their hands of the rest of it. I know someone who hunts (deer) but doesn't eat venison. Why? Because she wants the antlers. There is a difference imo.

To reiterate, there are people that do it to be nice or to take care of folks. There are also people that kill for sport. I'm not talking non-game animals.

"I have too many guns," said no one, ever.
Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Scooterb] #4613248 09/29/13 09:48 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
The end result is the same. Get over it.

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Sneaky] #4613392 09/29/13 10:28 PM
S
Scooterb Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

SMH. You obviously don't get it and that's fine. But don't flame the OP because you can't comprehend the difference.

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Scooterb] #4613421 09/29/13 10:35 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
What is the difference?
As long as the animal is consumed u see no issue

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: txshntr] #4613626 09/29/13 11:31 PM
D
DFWPI Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Glad I wasn't the only one who will kill a deer I to help out the less fortunate.

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: txtrophy85] #4613628 09/29/13 11:32 PM
T
twinbubba Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I think we should all kill more deer each year then we can eat, at least 9 or more.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, 09 Yamaha Rhino 450 Camo,
Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: twinbubba] #4613709 09/29/13 11:49 PM
T
TF Panther Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I told my wife I was going to give my meat to the young single mom next door and she said "No way in hades". Huh....., never took her for being uncharitable?

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: txtrophy85] #4613790 09/30/13 12:15 AM
S
Scooterb Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
What I'm saying is there are people that use donating venison as a facade to just kill deer. I know there are none of those folks here :eyeroll: so I guess we can just close the topic.

It's the same reason I cringe when I see kill shots that are all bloodied up when the hunter didn't take 5 minutes to wipe the blood off of the face or body. Yes, the result is the same, it's the perception to the anti-hunting world that is different. THF is not a private site, anyone can come in and look at the photo section and formulate opinions about hunters. It's not how I would personally promote it.

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Scooterb] #4613868 09/30/13 12:39 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Hunting is a blood sport, plain and simple. No need to sugar coat it.

Animals get shot and die not lay down to sleep when we point a gun at them

How does one get good at hunting and killing deer? By doing it a lot

I'm on a quest right now to kill a deer with a bow, not because I need the meat, but because I need the practice. I want to become a very skilled bowhunter and a lot of animals that I won't personally eat are gonna have to hit the ground before I'm at that level

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Scooterb] #4613948 09/30/13 01:02 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Scooterb

SMH. You obviously don't get it and that's fine. But don't flame the OP because you can't comprehend the difference.

Don't confuse my lack of agreement with a lack of comprehension. I know exactly what he's saying. I just think he's a jackass for saying it. Comprende?

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: txtrophy85] #4613949 09/30/13 01:02 AM
S
Scooterb Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Wouldn't we want to portray our sport the best way we possibly could? Maybe I'm missing something...

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Scooterb] #4613958 09/30/13 01:04 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Wouldn't we want to portray our sport the best way we possibly could? Maybe I'm missing something...

You sure are. Deer need killed and people need to eat. What the hell does it matter who is killing them and who is eating them? Anyone that sees a donation of meat as a bad thing has some serious issues.

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Scooterb] #4613967 09/30/13 01:06 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

And hunters donating meat to feed the less fortunate paints them in a bad light how???

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: txtrophy85] #4613986 09/30/13 01:11 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I think I see where he is coming from. There are those hunters that hunt solely for the trophy. Those that trophy hunt and are into hunting for no other reason are the reason the cost of hunting has reached the level it has. In my opinion they only donate the meat to keep from breaking the law.

They are not hunters, they are.... up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: txtrophy85] #4613996 09/30/13 01:12 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

And hunters donating meat to feed the less fortunate paints them in a bad light how???

I'm not sure what is so hard to understand about this. Apparently sharing is a bad thing now?

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Sneaky] #4614046 09/30/13 01:23 AM
S
Scooterb Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Dogcatcher smells what I'm cooking here.

Please reread what I wrote above. I said there are two types of people that donate. Those that care about people, (which the OP and I don't have a problem with whatsoever) and those that donate just to avoid wanton waste. Don't read into it any more than that.

And Sneaky, I was talking more about the bloody photos.

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Scooterb] #4614092 09/30/13 01:31 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I hunt for the experience of taking a mature animal. guess that makes me a bad guy.

I enjoy hunting & eating dove, quail, duck, pheasant but don't care all that much for whitetail save for the backstrap. but I get a thrill out of killing a mature buck that can't be replicated everywhere else, so what is one to do? I don't want something so I give it to someone who does want it

we all hunt for the pastime. Very few, if any, people hunt strictly for sustenance in texas. its just a by product of a hobby.

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Scooterb] #4614250 09/30/13 02:02 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Please reread what I wrote above. I said there are two types of people that donate. Those that care about people, (which the OP and I don't have a problem with whatsoever) and those that donate just to avoid wanton waste. Don't read into it any more than that.

You worry too much about things that don't matter. Why do you care about bloody photos or people donating deer because they don't want to eat it? Guess what. Deer bleed when you shoot them.

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: txtrophy85] #4614305 09/30/13 02:16 AM
P
ParkCountyElkDestroyer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
I hunt for the experience of taking a mature animal. guess that makes me a bad guy.

I enjoy hunting & eating dove, quail, duck, pheasant but don't care all that much for whitetail save for the backstrap. but I get a thrill out of killing a mature buck that can't be replicated everywhere else, so what is one to do? I don't want something so I give it to someone who does want it

we all hunt for the pastime. Very few, if any, people hunt strictly for sustenance in texas. its just a by product of a hobby.

I am in your same boat. I eat some of it but give most of it away, and I love shooting trophies. I would never plan on quitting my favorite hobby and pastime just because someone disagrees with my intentions. At the end of the day, all of the meat from the animals I kill are eaten and pooped down the toilet just like the animals killed by the guys who hunt for sustenance.

Last edited by jensent; 09/30/13 02:17 AM.
Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Sneaky] #4614579 09/30/13 03:52 AM
S
Scooterb Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S

You worry too much about things that don't matter. Why do you care about bloody photos or people donating deer because they don't want to eat it? Guess what. Deer bleed when you shoot them.

Well done with the sarcasm. Now, let me break it down Barney style so you can understand...

What you don't get is there are people out there that their sole purpose in life is to try to take away our rights as hunters to legally harvest animals. When you post pictures on the internet that are bloody or gory, you do NOTHING to help the hunter's case for being good conservationists. You fuel the talk of "blood-thirsty" "unnecesary suffering" and "senseless killing" by these anti-hunting groups. You say "these things don't matter." What you mean, is they don't matter to YOU. It's the same reason you don't clean your ducks in the parking lot or on the boat ramp. Can you do it legally? Absolutely. Does it promote hunting in a positive light? I'll give you a hint, it's not yes.

Now, hopefully you take a moment for this to sink in and not just disagree because we've disagreed this whole post. Hopefully now you understand why these things matter. up

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Scooterb] #4614593 09/30/13 03:59 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
I still disagree. I think that just because someone doesn't like the taste of the meat, they become less of a hunter, or as some of you suggest, should stop hunting all together.

I agree that some tact should be used in approaching certain subjects with certain content, but I am not going to live my life worrying about what someone will think or say. Falls back into the common courtesy and common sense category, and killing a deer with the intent of donating the meat doesn't seem so repulsive that all hunters will be labeled. Saying you are going to kill a deer and plan on leaving it to waste or feed buzzards is another story.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Scooterb] #4614649 09/30/13 04:31 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Well done with the sarcasm. Now, let me break it down Barney style so you can understand...

What you don't get is there are people out there that their sole purpose in life is to try to take away our rights as hunters to legally harvest animals. When you post pictures on the internet that are bloody or gory, you do NOTHING to help the hunter's case for being good conservationists. You fuel the talk of "blood-thirsty" "unnecesary suffering" and "senseless killing" by these anti-hunting groups. You say "these things don't matter." What you mean, is they don't matter to YOU. It's the same reason you don't clean your ducks in the parking lot or on the boat ramp. Can you do it legally? Absolutely. Does it promote hunting in a positive light? I'll give you a hint, it's not yes.

Now, hopefully you take a moment for this to sink in and not just disagree because we've disagreed this whole post. Hopefully now you understand why these things matter. up

Well, gee golly, I never thought of that.

I'm not an idiot. I know that you're scared. I'm not. If people are offended by what I do, that's their problem. I don't go out of my way to look like some dumb, reckless, hick, but I'll be danged if I can't post a picture, on a HUNTING forum, that has a little blood in it. I won't tip toe for anyone. Anyone that thinks I should is a little too much of a push over for me.

Anti hunters hate us. If you think we can change that by pretending that blood isn't involved, then you're a true moron.

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Sneaky] #4614654 09/30/13 04:35 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The anti hunters are not the ones I would care about offending, it is the non hunting public that we should be considerate of. They not only outnumber us, they can be persuaded by the anti hunters to become anti. up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide