Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: PKnTX] #442630 10/04/08 04:18 AM
L
LKT Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
We pass through Jefferson to our place in e.Tex. Each October, they host the big annual Texas Bigfoot Research meeting there with baners and such. I'm one of the gotta see it to believe types. But, still it's in the back of your mind going to the stand. A few years back, archery season, I was heading to my stand predawn and I have to cross a paved road to get there. I stopped to re-adjust my gear on the road. Behind me I hear a clickety clickety of toe nails coming straight down the road to me. I almost lost my bowels trying to fumble around for the flashlight. I got it turned on just in time to watch the biggest armadillo I had ever seen pass by me. I still prefer having a side arm to this day.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Double_Drop_Tines] #442631 10/04/08 08:19 AM
T
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
Old Weller
T
Quote:

I have this thing about spiders. I can actually run without ever touching the ground if I feel a web get on me. Not to mention the spider itself. I walk with a 3' or 4' stick in front of me, waving it to and fro like I'm fending off a Dragon or something. I use a small Streamlight Stylus with a green light in the other hand. It's funny though, snakes don't bother me. Spiders make me come un-glued.

I'm with you on the spider thing Give me snakes anyday, cept when I'm with my dog.

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Burrito] #442632 10/04/08 10:02 AM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I have some of those redneck house shoes with the headlights on them. It's just bright enough to see where I'm going.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Curtis] #442633 10/04/08 11:09 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Yeah, sometimes the ole mind likes to play tricks on you and make you think you're being followed. What's funny however, is that I coon hunted for many years, often alone, and can't remember ever being uneasy. It was probably all the concentration on listening for my hounds and worried they might get somewhere where they shouldn't. I always carried a little .22 short rifle, which would have been little help in a tight situation.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Texas Dan] #442634 10/04/08 11:52 AM
T
tkuehn5410 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I was walking to my stand a couple years ago and was being pursued by a black panther. I was very nervous and thought I was going to get pounced, but fortunately I got into the deer blind just in time.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: tkuehn5410] #442635 10/04/08 02:13 PM
L
Lawki Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Happened to me this year during opening weekend of dove season. I was walking back to the section of land we were hunting at my BIL place (53 acres) - it is about a 10 minute walk. As I made my way through a dogleg section that narrows like a funnel and then expands back out (hour glass shape) I could hear what I assume a was a deer about 15 yards to my right - just the other side of the most narrow part of the hourglass shape.

All I herd was a grunt, a stomp, a grunt and then he was gone. I am not sure if it was a deer or a hog because you could not see but a few feet in front of you and my flashlight was in my pocket. All I had was my unloaded 12 gauge and my other had was carrying a small fold up chair to sit on. Well when I heard the first grunt I stopped walking and froze in my tracks and all I could think was crap my gun is unloaded! So I stood there listening and heard the stomp and second grunt and then he left. I gathered my thoughts took few (thousand) deep breaths and continued to walk to the section we were hunting.

The same day I was out on this dove hunt I saw coyote come out of the woods and cross in front of me at about 50 – 60 yards. I stood up and took aim and shot at him and only peppered him and scared him off cause all I had was bird shot. Needless to say I went to the store and got a box of rifled slugs to carry in case something like happened again. Not really a scary moment but cool.

And no, I did not get any dove that morning because I saw absolutely zero dove fly by over head.

Get a Rope!
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: dawaba] #442636 10/04/08 04:31 PM
B
bassackwards dav Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
The dark doesnt scare me as near as hunting up north and getting caught in a white out snow fall. I was on my uncles farm in PA and was 13yrs old. I got to a fence and prayed I was walking the right direction. I was and thankful for it.

bassackwards dav
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: bassackwards dav] #442637 10/06/08 12:40 AM
M
mjames-76 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
My grandpa always said "Boy there aint nuthin out here in the dark any differnt than in the day" I said at least I will see em comin in the day though.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #442638 10/06/08 01:18 PM
J
Jason B Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Quote:

The chances of actually being injured walking to the stand are probably less than most people handling the firearm they are carrying in a panic situation.

Excellent point sig. I don't go out in the dark to hunt alone anymore mainly for that reason. I was chased by a group of "wild" dogs (not yotes) one early cold morning. I know I was very irresponsible with my gun handling and shooting that morning and could have really hurt myself or someone else.

I am fine with almost all of the animals you would encounter in the woods except for two. A mountain lion (that does roam here from time to time) and a buck in the rut. Reason being, I always hunt from the ground sitting by a tree or fence line. Not even in a blind.

Once I was sitting in the corner of two adjoining fences and kept hearing an enourmous amount of ruckus behind me. Went on for about 15 minutes getting closer and closer. Finally a 8 - 10 point buck jumped right over me and landed about 5 feet in front of me. He must have seen me mid flight because once he landed he didn't know what to do. He was running around like a chicken with his head cut off. All I had was a bow.

So the answer is yes, the woods creep me out in the dark and I grew up in them.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Jason B] #442639 10/06/08 01:32 PM
C
caprocker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
when i first leased the place i hunt now we had wash out problems with the roads...the whole back section was unaccessible and i had to walk about a mile to my stand..yeah i had to put it in a place that was that far away...sooo , i walked it...about the 3rd time i hunted that place i was walking the road back and encountered a critter in the road..my old faithful flashlight was low on juice so i had been walking by starlight...when i flicked it on to shine it on the critter it just went out..i hit it and shook it a couple of times and nothing...the critter just sat in the 2 rut and snarled at me..it wouldnt move...it was a really dark color and kept growling....i backed away and kicked some dirt and rocks at it..that made it move to the side of the road...so i walked a wide circle around it and ran my 300 lb carcass away ..all the while it was still snarling at me....i still dont know what it was but have a sneaking suspicion that it was a badger....it was a long apprehensive walk from there...our place is in the croton breaks area of kent county and there could have been any multitude of mean [censored] varmints there...anyways

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: caprocker] #442640 10/06/08 01:44 PM
B
BenBob Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
One time I took my little brother hunting when he was about 8 years old. We made it to the blind, which was an enclosed blind about 20 feet up in the air. We got all settled and before daylight we heard something walking down the road, and then we heard the fence creak and then footsteps and all of a sudden the blind was shaking. I opened the door of the blind and there was a trespasser trying to get in the same blind we were in. I opened the door and said, "I do not think so." He stepped off the ladder, we heard the fence creak and then all went quiet as he shuffled off into the brush. My little brother always had a nervous stomach and he said he was going to be sick. I opened the door of the blind and he threw up, right down the ladder. Needless to say, we stayed in the blind as long as we could that day.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: BenBob] #442641 10/06/08 04:35 PM
T
TxHunter73 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
I must admit...reading all of this makes me laugh...only because I feel the exact same way. Even carrying the pistol and having a light it still freaky.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: TxHunter73] #442642 10/06/08 05:07 PM
P
pdawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
Wow thanks guys, I guess I never thought much on this subject, but after reading all these replies now I am more tense about it now then I was at first. LOL If a person says that being in the dark with critters unknown lerking nearby who sees you but you can't see them doesn't bother them, then in my oppinion thats just plum crazy. Every sense I was out alone on our lease one nite calling coyotes and was surrounded by wild dogs ( and yes it was stupid of me to be alone) it scares the hell out of me to be out there alone at dark. My sprintin days are long past and my nerves are closer to the skin than they was. lol

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: TxHunter73] #442643 10/06/08 05:12 PM
Mr. Clean Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Okay....and where is SabrinaVonPITA on this one ....yes, I DO GET THE WILLIES!....and that is exactly with I carry Xavier Destruction, in .45 caliber and 14 rounds. It is kinda like the scared feeling you get at the top of the hill on a roller coaster. Scary but adicting as hell!!! Rememeber the first time you stumbled over an Amardillo in the early morning darkness... I swear I crapped in my pants!!! I have this bad nightmere of HOGZILLA making a toothpick out of my fenur bone too!!! LOL!!! ah hell...according to VonPITA...."we don't need no stinking side arms!"

NEVER MIND...EDITED...I saw VonPita's useless babble...and yes it was off topic...leave Maggie alone or I am going to follow you to your Tree Stand...I mean Tea and Crumpets Shoppe.

Last edited by Mr. Clean; 10/06/08 05:19 PM.
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Mr. Clean] #442644 10/06/08 05:20 PM
B
Bonehead Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
She must be on "safari"

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."..Dr.Suess
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Mr. Clean] #442645 10/06/08 05:54 PM
S
Sabrinavonbach Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Wow, from the sounds of it you might be better served with depends diapers, baby wipes and a spare set of panties than a 45 auto. There is no evidence to suggest the feral pigs pose a significant threat to humans, unless you're attempting to "play" with them. Read the TPW missive on them.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Sabrinavonbach] #442646 10/06/08 06:38 PM
J
Jason B Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Quote:

Wow, from the sounds of it you might be better served with depends diapers, baby wipes and a spare set of panties than a 45 auto. There is no evidence to suggest the feral pigs pose a significant threat to humans, unless you're attempting to "play" with them. Read the TPW missive on them.

Off topic, but, any animal on this planet has the instinct to defend it's home territory when aroused. Aroused can be defined a multitude of ways, but generic explanations in this context would be:

- Defending Territory
- Hungry
- Primal Instincts
- Offspring
- Awakened

Again, off topic, but thought you could better understand with this info maybe. If you want proof, do some research on this very site. There was a father and son a month or so back that was walking through tall (chest high) grass and "aroused" a mess of wild hogs. Read his story and tell me it doesn't happen.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Jason B] #442647 10/06/08 06:45 PM
S
Sabrinavonbach Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Proof? You have no proof except isolated incidents which you have yet to document. TPW has an opinion of how dangerous feral pigs. They don't consider them dangerous. Cougars? Yep a very very few attacks through the years. In the whole US and Canada there are on a average of 5 to 6 attacks and 1 to 2 fatalities per year and it seems there hasn't been one in Texas for at least a decade. As far as off topic and breaking the rules I'd go look in the mirror.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Sabrinavonbach] #442648 10/06/08 06:46 PM
fourtrax Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Ya'll quit giveing her/him/it the time of day.Maybe it will go away.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: fourtrax] #442649 10/06/08 06:48 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
Quote:

Why bother, fourtrax...some folks are gluttons for punishment...

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Big Orn] #442650 10/06/08 06:53 PM
fourtrax Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:

Quote:

Why bother, fourtrax...some folks are gluttons for punishment...

I guess.I have leared to turn over anew leaf.I just add them to my ignore list!

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Sabrinavonbach] #442651 10/06/08 07:04 PM
J
Jason B Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Quote:

Proof? You have no proof except isolated incidents which you have yet to document. TPW has an opinion of how dangerous feral pigs. They don't consider them dangerous. Cougars? Yep a very very few attacks through the years. In the whole US and Canada there are on a average of 5 to 6 attacks and 1 to 2 fatalities per year and it seems there hasn't been one in Texas for at least a decade. As far as off topic and breaking the rules I'd go look in the mirror.

Are you retarded? On heavy medication? An Obama suporter?

Start a new thread and I will argue with you all day. Otherwise, keep your "not dangerous" comments to yourself. If you are the toughest person the world, then cool!

Amazing 419 post in only 2.5 months. Are you one of those thing's that in grade school I could put on the end of my pencil, spin real fast, and make your hair stand up?

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Jason B] #442652 10/06/08 07:30 PM
B
Bonehead Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Txfour, you're starting to see the pattern now. It's exactly what Big Orn is saying also, glutton for punishment and not a clue as to why. Every one of the threads she gets into ends up in the usual sparring with someone. She must be very lonely and/or bitter about something missing in her life.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."..Dr.Suess
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Bonehead] #442653 10/06/08 07:45 PM
J
Jason B Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Quote:

Txfour, you're starting to see the pattern now. It's exactly what Big Orn is saying also, glutton for punishment and not a clue as to why. Every one of the threads she gets into ends up in the usual sparring with someone. She must be very lonely and/or bitter about something missing in her life.

I know, I know.... I just can't fathom someone so ignorant to reality.

Me and a buddy went hunting last night with our dogs. The bay do did it's job until we could get the pit's on him. We took him down and hog tied him. He is now in the trailer. If she/he/it thinks they are not dangerous, she/he/it is more than welcome to come get in the 30' trailer with his little 320 pound lovey dovey arse. Heck, I'd like to see her just stick her hand in by his face. He'll let you pet him, I promise. He's not "dangerous" .

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Jason B] #442654 10/06/08 08:37 PM
M
MaggieMTx Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
A glutton Orn, YES....but I go by the phrase "when given enough rope, one will hang themself". 98% of the time its always proven TRUE.

MC, "it" doesnt bother me now that its on PERMANT ingore. From someone like that, I DONT want any kind words from them but also there is no need for the negitive, rude comments either...therefore they are on IGNORE.

I suggest EVERYONE that reads this do the exact same. Then when everyone has it on ignore, they can ramble on to themselves & will dissapear.

This forum is too good for trouble makers like that . Since Im in such a cheery mood, I will end it there.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide