Forums46
Topics538,082
Posts9,732,791
Members87,065
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Honda Rancher 420 vs Polaris Sportsman 400 HO opinions? #4408716 07/21/13 11:01 PM
T
TexasPI Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
Looking to buy a new atv pretty quick. After lots of research and discussions, I have it pretty well narrowed down to these two. Going to mostly be used for hunting, riding around the ranch, some food plot planting and other light work,etc. Does anybody have any first hand experience that might help me decide?

Either will be new, 2013. I need to have auto transmission for the older and younger family members that will be riding it. I have two Polaris 330's right now, and have been for the most part pleased with them for the past 9 years.

The 2013 Sportsman 400 (actually 455cc) gets good reviews, has true 4wd (vs Honda's limited slip), good clearance, etc.
The Honda rancher also gets good reviews, has the Honda reputation for durability, has the option to add manual electronic shifting,etc. The general consensus reading through all of the atv forums is that the Sportsman 400 has a much better ride (more comfortable) than the Honda, as well as the opinion that the Polaris quality is a heck of a lot better than just a few years ago. Other than some problems with the electronic shifting, the Honda still gets the nod in the long term durability category based on reputation.

I can easily search on the web and find plenty of opinions about Polaris being junk, or Honda being overpriced or rated, etc. Unfortunately, it's also not too hard to find people that had constant problems with either atv from the day they were bought - - always going to be a few lemons out there. I am looking for some first hand experience that might help me out.

I started my shopping with the intent to buy a Honda, but after reading tons of reviews, comparisons, etc., I started looking at the Polaris as well. The thing that sticks out to me the most right now, is that I can get the Sportsman 400 for at least $2,000 less than the Honda. I can't imagine that I would like the Honda $2,000 more.

Any opinions?

Re: Honda Rancher 420 vs Polaris Sportsman 400 HO opinions? [Re: TexasPI] #4408841 07/21/13 11:36 PM
J
jluke Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
In my opinion Honda has a better reputation for reliability. Just tried and true over the years in quality. Good luck with either. I'm just a Honda man.

Re: Honda Rancher 420 vs Polaris Sportsman 400 HO opinions? [Re: TexasPI] #4408849 07/21/13 11:38 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Honda!!! They have the best auto transmission out there I promise you!

Re: Honda Rancher 420 vs Polaris Sportsman 400 HO opinions? [Re: jluke] #4408883 07/21/13 11:48 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I purchased my first atv (used) in 2007 after about 6 months of research and actually talking to mechanics (independent and dealership). The 2 names that always came to the top was the Honda & the Yamaha. Other than the size of the engine the Hondas are very similiar so no specfic model was mentioned and the Yamaha Grizzly was by far the top choice. I still have the grizzley and have been very pleased with it. I have gained 5 years of age and want to replace it with a SxS but it's hard to get rid of something that has been so trouble free and with about 450 hours and 2700 miles, it still is.

Re: Honda Rancher 420 vs Polaris Sportsman 400 HO opinions? [Re: DLALLDER] #4409045 07/22/13 12:32 AM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: DLALLDER
after about 6 months of research and actually talking to mechanics (independent and dealership). The 2 names that always came to the top was the Honda & the Yamaha.

Yep! I researched for a year and came up with the same top 2. I even had a Polaris dealer tell me NOT to buy a Polaris when I told him there would be water crossings involved in my day to day hunting routine.

Re: Honda Rancher 420 vs Polaris Sportsman 400 HO opinions? [Re: JCB] #4409413 07/22/13 02:24 AM
T
TexasPI Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
Thanks for the input guys! I never doubted the quality of the Honda. That was what I originally intended to purchase (and still may). But to be honest, $7500 + freight & prep (will be tax free) was a whole lot more than I expected for a 420. I really only wanted a 2 wheel drive model. Having used the two Polaris 330s and my ranches for the past 9 years, I really haven't had the need for 4 wheel drive or for that matter, any more power - they have been fine. Sure, I would use the 4wd if I had it when planting my plots or in heavy snow / ice, but it is not necessary.
Unfortunately, Honda does not make a 2wd auto trans rancher. So in order to get the Honda (with auto trans), I have to jump up in price to the &7500+ model. Not that I wouldn't enjoy it, but that is just a lot more than I need to be spending on an atv with a lot more capabilities than I require.

Understanding that the Honda is probably a better choice, would you really advise against the Sportsman 400 in order to save $2500?

Re: Honda Rancher 420 vs Polaris Sportsman 400 HO opinions? [Re: TexasPI] #4409877 07/22/13 12:35 PM
J
jluke Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
I think you might need to talk to a different dealership. it seems you are being quoted way too much. Also, try to think if you can get away from the automatic transmission as that puts you with the AT model and that is a large cost addition. The ES should be ok for what you need. I taught my wife to use it within ten minutes and she had never riden an atv before. The ES is a clutchless push button shifting.

Re: Honda Rancher 420 vs Polaris Sportsman 400 HO opinions? [Re: jluke] #4410046 07/22/13 01:52 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I'd go for the Honda. I put very high value on reliability. My ATV is a 2000 model Yamaha Big Bear 400. This past year I had the carb cleaned and a carb kit put in it. That's it for 12 years. No new light bulbs or tires or anything at all. Nothing but changing fluids and filters. And in my experience, Honda is also as good as that.

The only small issue with Honda that I have is that their ground clearance has traditionally been a bit low. Over in Louisiana, where I grew up and used to do most of my hunting, the mud and water are very often quite deep, which requires that you have at least 9 inches of ground clearance. If you won't be using it in conditions like that, then don't worry about ground clearance.

And my choice for a new one, back then, was either Honda or Yamaha. I went to an ATV repair shop and I asked the guy what he saw the least of. He said Honda and Yamaha, and of those two, if you really needed heavy work out of it, get the Yamaha. So I did.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Honda Rancher 420 vs Polaris Sportsman 400 HO opinions? [Re: 603Country] #4410456 07/22/13 04:34 PM
T
texasgal Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I can't address Honda vs Polaris as I only have Honda's. But I have one with AT and one with ES. Go with the ES. It's easy to use and gives you more control. Do pay up for the power steering!

My Honda's:
2010 Rancher ES 420 - love it! has power steering
2005 Foreman Rubicon 500 - workhorse no power steering

Re: Honda Rancher 420 vs Polaris Sportsman 400 HO opinions? [Re: texasgal] #4410570 07/22/13 05:18 PM
P
PonchoMike Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
P
When you say "Automatic" in the Honda I'm guessing your going with the top the line AT model with the 5-speed auto or e shift option and has independent rear as well? I have an 09'Rancher 420 AT without power steering and LOVE IT! I bought it used 6 months ago with like 250 miles and 100 hrs on it. Had lift kit, 28 inch Grim Reeper radials, ITP 14 inch wheels, 4000 lb. Warn winch, full aftermarket aluminum skid plates, the works! Paid over half of what a new one with all the stuff would cost. I got it because my wife can put it in auto and just go! I like the e shift as well when obstacles and just running a steady pace say 2-3 rd gears slow rolling. It doesn't have a high-low transfer case which is no biggy to me as I rarely get it into anything nasty mud wise. Go with the Honda you won't regret it. Get power steering if you can afford it as well. It doesn't bother me at all but it would be that much easier for the wifey to get around.

Re: Honda Rancher 420 vs Polaris Sportsman 400 HO opinions? [Re: PonchoMike] #4410665 07/22/13 05:48 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I've wore out every kind of atv & utv made, I'd buy the one that has the nearest & most reputable dealership.
Proper maintenance is the key to reliability and longevity with any of them.

I'll go against the grain, Ive experienced far fewer problems with polaris over the years than other brands.
I wouldn't buy any new machine without an EFI fuel system.
IMO power steering is nice, usually worth the $$$.

Re: Honda Rancher 420 vs Polaris Sportsman 400 HO opinions? [Re: Rustler] #4411905 07/22/13 11:51 PM
T
TexasPI Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
Thanks for the additional input. I wish one brand was great and the rest horrible - it would make deciding much easier! I should also point out that if money were no object, the decision would be easier as well. I'm just not looking to break the bank for the amount and type of use I need the atv for. I'd like to keep the cost as low as I can, without buying something that is going to give me problems.
I just got back from another round of visiting the dealerships and really looking over the options. I would really like to get something a little different and bigger than the Polaris 330's I've had for the past 9 years. Nothing wrong with them, but the Honda rancher and Yamaha Grizzly (450) seem like pretty small bikes. I know that has nothing to do with performance, but they just seem small to me. Also, riding two people on a bike is something that we do quite a bit.....the Honda and Yamaha both have short, pear shaped seats that would not make it very comfortable to ride 2 people.
The Polaris Sportsman 400 is a lot bigger bike, is very comfortable, and has the nice long seat that makes it a lot easier to ride 2 people or carry a bag of corn or two on your lap, etc. BUT, other than Rustler and the salesman at the Polaris dealership, I'm not getting very many votes to choose the Polaris over the Honda or Yamaha.
I'm waiting to get back a few more quotes, but right now I'm at
$4995 for the Sportsman 400 ($5395 for the Sportsman 500),
$6499 for the Honda 420 AT (no electronic shift or steering)
$6399 for the Yamaha 450 and $7999 for the Yamaha 550

Again, I appreciate all of the input. I am definitely seeing a lot of pleased Honda and Yamaha owners. Although I am not getting a lot of Polaris votes, has anybody owned a recent model of Sportsman and had trouble with it?

Re: Honda Rancher 420 vs Polaris Sportsman 400 HO opinions? [Re: TexasPI] #4412267 07/23/13 01:44 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
As for putting corn (or grandkids or firewood) on the back of my Yamaha, I just put the big flat rear rack on it. And I put the front rack on it and a winch. That Big Bear will go just about anywhere.

And as a humorous aside on Honda, my Dad had a Honda for years and years. Never ever changed the oil or filters or plug or scraped any mud off of it. With all that abuse, he could NOT kill that Honda. Truly amazing. That was the nastiest most beat up Honda I have ever seen, but on and on it ran. I thought about contacting Honda and having my mud covered father and his mud covered Honda in some hunting mag advertisement.

Re: Honda Rancher 420 vs Polaris Sportsman 400 HO opinions? [Re: 603Country] #4412319 07/23/13 01:56 AM
C
cos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Honda, might look around for a clean used one. I still have one of the old 1988 300 Honda's, sprayed several tanks of Round-up today on it. Has never failed. Had a 94 also and other than tires and one battery it functioned flawlessly for 18 yrs.

Re: Honda Rancher 420 vs Polaris Sportsman 400 HO opinions? [Re: TexasPI] #4412512 07/23/13 02:38 AM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I firmly believe that atv brand preferences are just like ford vs chevy vs dodge pickup debates.
Some folks swear by and tell all sorts of stories praising their brand while bashing the ever loving poo poo out of everything else. Same thing happens with firearms, boats, tractors etc.

Both of the Polaris's and the 450 yamaha are carbureted, that is why they're less expensive.
To make an apples to apples price & feature comparison you'd have to compare the the efi models separately from the carburetor models.

EFI makes a big difference in price and performance, fast easy cold starts, no carburetor jet changes if you want to ride in high elevations (mountains), automagically adjust fuel mixture for all riding conditions, slightly smoother running, better throttle response, more power & better mpg.

Re: Honda Rancher 420 vs Polaris Sportsman 400 HO opinions? [Re: Rustler] #4412921 07/23/13 07:45 AM
T
TexasPI Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
Rustler - I hear you on the ford / chevy / dodge analogy. I am wide open to all brands of atv - just don't want to end up with a nice new bike that is known to have troubles. I have heard a lot of praise from the Honda owners, Yamaha owners, etc about their atv's being great....and I don't doubt that for one second. I know they are good brands - over the years I have owned plenty of dirt bikes and outboards that were Hondas and Yamahas, and have nothing but great things to say about them.

I also have had the two Polaris Trail Boss 330's for the past 9 years, and they have been great. Especially for belt and chain drives and carburetors, they have given me very little trouble. When a few people (and a few atv magazine reviews) pointed me towards Polaris for this purchase, I took a look. To be honest, I really like the feel and features of the Sportsman 400 and 500. And to find out that I could save $2000 - $2500 over the Honda's and Yamaha's, I looked at them a little harder. That's a good chunk of change.

I was just hoping to hear from some Sportsman 400 or 500 owners that either liked their atv's or hated them. It is most often the case that when you hear about atv brands to buy, you hear Honda and Yamaha. Again, I don't doubt the praises for those machines one bit, but.....I haven't really been finding many comments (positive or negative) from people who do or have actually owned a recent model of Polaris.

I would love to have the efi (and electronic steering for that matter), but even in the Polaris, the efi models jump by $2000.

Re: Honda Rancher 420 vs Polaris Sportsman 400 HO opinions? [Re: TexasPI] #4413179 07/23/13 01:12 PM
W
winner Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
I rode the red river a few months ago with:
1: 2012 Honda Rancher ES 4x4 Stock 50 hrs
1: 2005 Honda Rancher ES 2x4 Stock bunches hrs
1: 2012 Polaris Sportsman 400 Stock 15 hrs
1: 2007ish Polaris Sportsman 400 lift, swamp tires ?? hrs

at the end of the day and a few high water crossings, mud holes, few beers, etc both hondas were running perfectly fine. the 2012 polaris needed a new belt, wouldn't shift out of first and spent 4 days in the shop. The 2007 needed a new solenoid and still doesn't run quite right. One honda did need an oil change but that was due to the hours.
I have owned hondas and yamaha 4 wheelers and rode Polaris. I will not own a Polaris. I have no confidence in them. When I picked up my new Honda from the dealership, I also had sticker shock, but I am a true believer in the ol saying, you get what you pay for.

Last edited by winner; 07/23/13 01:12 PM.

You should give some serious thought to thanking your lucky stars your from Texas.
Re: Honda Rancher 420 vs Polaris Sportsman 400 HO opinions? [Re: winner] #4413770 07/23/13 04:12 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Polaris sportsmans don't shift or have gears they have a CVT.

All atv's & utv's with belt drive CVT's slip when wet, pull the drain plug let drain then drive gently a couple minutes until fully dry and you'll have no problems.
Fill the cvt case with water and keep driving aggressively and any of them will have belt/ clutch issues.

Seal the cvt case install cvt snorkel and you won't have anymore water problems, belt & clutch dust build up will need to be cleaned every 50 ~ 100 hours.

Re: Honda Rancher 420 vs Polaris Sportsman 400 HO opinions? [Re: Rustler] #4414216 07/23/13 07:03 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: Rustler
Polaris sportsmans don't shift or have gears they have a CVT.

All atv's & utv's with belt drive CVT's slip when wet, pull the drain plug let drain then drive gently a couple minutes until fully dry and you'll have no problems.
Fill the cvt case with water and keep driving aggressively and any of them will have belt/ clutch issues.

Seal the cvt case install cvt snorkel and you won't have anymore water problems, belt & clutch dust build up will need to be cleaned every 50 ~ 100 hours.

Or you could just buy the Honda with the Hondamatic transmission and not ever have to worry about wet belts.

The wet belt issue is why the Polaris dealer told me to stay away from Polaris. He said if I was going to buy a belt drive transmission to buy the Yamaha because they have the best seals.

Re: Honda Rancher 420 vs Polaris Sportsman 400 HO opinions? [Re: JCB] #4415657 07/24/13 02:58 AM
C
ckat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I had a 2000 model Polaris. That thing was a PAIN to work on. A jet change on the carb was a MAJOR job. Being used to dirt bikes where a carb adjust/jet change was a 30 minute or less job, that Polaris would make you pull your hair out. Remove the seat, handlebar cowling, front rack, and entire front body clip... and then you could get to work.

Mine was a 325. I bought it over the Honda because of the size and comfort (I am a bigger guy.) I regretted that decision until the day I sold it. Too big of a chassis for the anemic engine.

Good luck!

Re: Honda Rancher 420 vs Polaris Sportsman 400 HO opinions? [Re: ckat] #4415980 07/24/13 07:26 AM
F
fbchunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
I have a 2003 polaris sportsman 700 v-twin. Its been a great machine for us. Only thing that we have done is replace cv boots and bushings front and rear.

Re: Honda Rancher 420 vs Polaris Sportsman 400 HO opinions? [Re: fbchunter] #4421765 07/26/13 02:50 AM
bubba2011 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Always a honda, no belts!

Re: Honda Rancher 420 vs Polaris Sportsman 400 HO opinions? [Re: bubba2011] #4424377 07/27/13 03:28 AM
H
Hunt Texas Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
I was in the same boat, having researched for weeks before pulling the trigger on a new 2013Yamaha Grizzly 550 yesterday. Got a screaming deal by shopping prices among different dealers with model year end rebate adding to the savings.

I think both Yamaha and Honda build great machines. Used to have a Foreman 450, and it was great, but decided to give Yamaha a try given the ground clearance, and independent rear suspension. I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you buy. The one thing I was told is that you MUST maintain the Polaris suspension by hitting the grease fittings, etc. regularly. The Yamaha and Honda utilize needle bearings and are much less prone to issues from non-fanatical maintenance.

Personally, I didn't care for the excessive plastic on racks, bumpers, etc. on the Polaris. Guess it's as much personal preference as anything else.

Re: Honda Rancher 420 vs Polaris Sportsman 400 HO opinions? [Re: Hunt Texas] #4426230 07/28/13 01:07 AM
T
TxAggie10 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
First off, buy EFI! It's so worth it. Once you own an injected atv, you'll never go back.

I was long time Honda loyal...but I now own a 2011 Sportsman 800. Honda and Polaris really don't compare in my opinion. Their size, suspension, transmissions, seats, ergonomics, and many more things are night and day. If you've been happy on a Polaris, I'd stay with Polaris. And if you can save $2000, do so!

I feel like Honda quality has faded over the years. We have a 1996 Honda fourtrax 300. I rode the heck out of it for years....except tires, a battery, and a solenoid, it's been flawless. Still have it to this day. Still runs like a top. We also have an 06 rancher ES. It's stock, just like the 96. It's been back to the dealer 5 or 6 times for carb issues. It's been through numerous batteries too. I don't know if we have a lemon or what, but the 06 has been a pain. It has few hours on it too. We usually ride the 96 and don't waste time with the 06. (We referring to the family, I personally own the sportsman 800 mentioned above.)

Texas A&M Association of Former Students
WH10P!
Re: Honda Rancher 420 vs Polaris Sportsman 400 HO opinions? [Re: TxAggie10] #4426531 07/28/13 03:25 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Just to mention it, when I bought the Yamaha Big Bear 400 that I have now, there were specific things I was looking for. Minimum maintenance was my goal. So: Standard shifting, good ground clearance, front and rear racks with high weight limits, and air cooling. An oil cooler was fine, but no radiator. That's what I got with the Big Bear and 13 years later it's flawless. I change all fluids each Spring, along with the air and oil filters. Nothing else is required.

Now...if I was shopping today, I'm pretty sure I'd go with a Yamaha Grizzly with EFI. Front and rear flat racks, gun rack on front, trailer ball hitch on back. Gotta have a winch. I'd add a spotlight. Maybe power steering. I'd get it in red. Hard to find the green and camo ones on a dark night in heavy woods. Hard to admit to family that I lost my ATV. They never forget that when somebody drags the whiskey bottle out and the stories get told.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide