Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? [Re: rifleman] #4128810 03/18/13 06:41 PM
J
Johnny Lobos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Jorge,

I don't factor danger into the equation whatsoever. I'm not going to factor Africa, Pluto, or Ur-Anus into it either.

I'm simply stating that long standing classic hunting skills are for the most part, not used here in Texas, and many of our hunting practices are against the law in other states.

Most Texas hunting ain't much different than cattle ranching, and what other states would qualify as poaching. I kill a lot of animals here in Texas, I hunt out of state.

Last edited by Johnny Loco; 03/18/13 08:54 PM.
Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? [Re: Johnny Lobos] #4128817 03/18/13 06:46 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Not true, just like it wasn't true last time you posted it.

22 states allow hunting over feeders. Some states allow running dogs after deer, which is way easier than hunting over a feeder.

The HFs in Texas aren't legal some places, but again, it's hardly Texas versus everywhere else. It's split.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? [Re: cameron00] #4128824 03/18/13 06:50 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
i wanna know what a long standing classic hunting skill is?

is it doing a deer drive, pushing a block of woods blowing whistles and banging pots to standers on the other side who shoot whatever is brown?

is it running dogs to catch a mountain lion, which is then shot while its treed?

its it shooting a black bear over a 55 gallon drum filled with honey and donuts?

Maybe its shooting an elk out of a herd that got pushed down the mountain from a blizzard the night before.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? [Re: txtrophy85] #4128835 03/18/13 06:53 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
If you're not driving a herd of buffalo off a cliff on horseback or killing polar bears with spears, you're not hunting.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? [Re: txtrophy85] #4128837 03/18/13 06:54 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
best thing is i realy cant find a reason to hunt out of state... i mean they got a bear season but chit...a bear is pretty much a pig as far as im concerned and i can shoot them anytime... wait was that obnoxious...

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? [Re: txtrophy85] #4128843 03/18/13 06:56 PM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Yes please elaborate Mr. Loco what are classic hunting skills. Use a spear if the skill set required in Texas doesn't meet your needs just a thought.

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? [Re: Johnny Lobos] #4128865 03/18/13 07:04 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: Johnny Loco
Jorge,

I don't factor danger into the equation whatsoever. I'm not going to factor Africa, Pluto, or Ur-Anus into it either.

I'm simply stating that long standing classic hunting skills are for the most part not used here in Texas and many of our hunting practices are against the law in other states.

Most Texas hunting ain't much difference than cattle ranching and what other states would qualify as poaching. I kill a lot of animals here in Texas, I hunt out of state.

lol when and how has baiting not been used.... how do they kill those animals over in africa.... seems like a water hole is a pretty common practice.... lets see a water hole in the middle of a desert.... yup sounds bout the same to me..

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? [Re: Navasot] #4128903 03/18/13 07:15 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Navasot
best thing is i realy cant find a reason to hunt out of state... i mean they got a bear season but chit...a bear is pretty much a pig as far as im concerned and i can shoot them anytime... wait was that obnoxious...

i thought the same thing....but when your up in the mountains, its just you, god and 2500 other people who drew tags that year, its really something special

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? [Re: smh264] #4128906 03/18/13 07:17 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I've only been on one guided hunt. I hunted Black Bear in Maine. The "guide" led me (him in his vehicle; me in mine) to the trail marker going to my bait and told me he didn't need to hear from me again unless I killed as bear. It was up to me to drive back and forth. He made it explictly clear that I was to load my own dead bear. Under no circumstances was I to come get him to help me. Unfortunately, I didn't get the opportunity to offend him. Cause I would have if I could have.

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? [Re: Navasot] #4128907 03/18/13 07:17 PM
M
Mohawg Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Here we go!

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? [Re: Mohawg] #4128916 03/18/13 07:24 PM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
For what it's worth I turned several scimitar oryx hunts into quite an adventure. Had two guys out of state that said they would want to spot and stalk only with a bow. So that's what we did we left camp everyday on foot and covered every inch many times over of the 1k acres. 2 days later and getting them as close as 30 yards to the herd but not the biggest ones in herd. They decided a rifle was in order. Needless to say they did pick on tx for how we hunt. Point is many guys come to texas to hunt because they want horns. If these out of state guys were such purists they would not have said let's drive around and pick them off. So people can bash texas all they want but they still come to the best state to hunt. Is hunting a corn field or soybean field really that much different than a feeder come on!!

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? [Re: Navasot] #4128930 03/18/13 07:28 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Johnny Loco
Jorge,

I'm simply stating that long standing classic hunting skills are for the most part not used here in Texas and many of our hunting practices are against the law in other states.

Most Texas hunting ain't much difference than cattle ranching and what other states would qualify as poaching. I kill a lot of animals here in Texas, I hunt out of state.

lol when and how has baiting not been used.... how do they kill those animals over in africa.... seems like a water hole is a pretty common practice.... lets see a water hole in the middle of a desert.... yup sounds bout the same to me..

the common way to hunt lion and leopard is the kill a small antelope and hang it in a tree

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? [Re: Mike Honcho] #4128940 03/18/13 07:32 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: jorge
For what it's worth I turned several scimitar oryx hunts into quite an adventure. Had two guys out of state that said they would want to spot and stalk only with a bow. So that's what we did we left camp everyday on foot and covered every inch many times over of the 1k acres. 2 days later and getting them as close as 30 yards to the herd but not the biggest ones in herd. They decided a rifle was in order. Needless to say they did pick on tx for how we hunt. Point is many guys come to texas to hunt because they want horns. If these out of state guys were such purists they would not have said let's drive around and pick them off. So people can bash texas all they want but they still come to the best state to hunt. Is hunting a corn field or soybean field really that much different than a feeder come on!!

its up to the hunter to choose how he wants to hunt. If I want to rattle, I rattle. If I want to sit in a blind and drink beer, thats what I do.

in certain areas, I like to get on a ridge and glass valleys and the sides of hills hoping to spot game and make my move. some areas thats not a practical or efficent way, and your stuck sitting in a tripod watching a pipeline right of way

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? [Re: Mohawg] #4128955 03/18/13 07:36 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Ahhhh I always love the "it ain't hunting if it ain't done this way/that way" argument.

It's all hunting-it's just different. Roughly generalizing, the hard part about hunting "spot and stalk" out west/up north is getting to and finding the animal. A sheep, a moose, an antelope is about a "3" on the wariness scale compared to a whitetail at about a "9".That's why they are hunted differently. (I would throw mule deer,bear,caribou in there but I haven't hunted them yet).

I took a record book Shiras moose with a bow on a 5 day hunt. I have yet to take a record book whitetail with a bow in 35 years of bowhunting them. Was the hunt "hard" from a physical standpoint compared to sitting in a treestand for whitetails? Yes. But in all other respects it was "easier" to put that moose on the wall that everyone ooohs and aahhhs than any bow killed whitetail I have taken. The hardest part really was drawing the tag.... smile

You'll notice I didn't mention elk. To me, they are a special challenge if one desires a good bull. Wary and challenging country to boot.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 03/18/13 07:41 PM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4128968 03/18/13 07:42 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Ahhhh I always love the "it ain't hunting if it ain't done this way/that way" argument.

It's all hunting-it's just different. Roughly generalizing, the hard part about hunting "spot and stalk" out west/up north is getting to and finding the animal. A sheep, a moose, an antelope is about a "3" on the wariness scale compared to a whitetail at about a "9".That's why they are hunted differently. (I would throw mule deer,bear,caribou in there but I haven't hunted them yet).

I took a record book Shiras moose with a bow on a 5 day hunt. I have yet to take a record book whitetail with a bow in 35 years of bowhunting them. Was the hunt "hard" from a physical standpoint compared to sitting in a treestand for whitetails? Yes. But in all other respects it was "easier" to put that moose on the wall that everyone ooohs and aahhhs that any bow killed whitetail I have taken. The hardest part really was drawing the tag.... smile

You'll notice I didn't mention elk. To me, they are a special challenge if one desires a good bull. Wary and challenging country to boot.

its pretty easy to kill a mule deer. I could have killed one every time I went out. Maybe a mature buck is different but as far as does and immature bucks are concerned their easy to knock off.

elk and red deer are pretty wary though.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? [Re: txtrophy85] #4128986 03/18/13 07:49 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Yes I have seen many smaller buck mule deer while hunting other stuff I could have easily taken with a bow. I have yet to lay eyes on a true trophy mulie while hunting. But some of those Colorado/Alberta big mulie prairie hunts look pretty simple from what I see on the boob tube. And black bears over barrel baits in a decent area don't look to strenuous or difficult either.

I'm going after big blackies with a rifle on Vancouver Island in June and I'll give a report when I get back. From what I gather, I don't think the challenge will be overwhelming though....

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? [Re: txtrophy85] #4128987 03/18/13 07:49 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
My theory is the really obnoxious guys, no matter where they're from, are compensating for something...

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4128993 03/18/13 07:51 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

I took a record book Shiras moose with a bow on a 5 day hunt. I have yet to take a record book whitetail with a bow in 35 years of bowhunting them. Was the hunt "hard" from a physical standpoint compared to sitting in a treestand for whitetails? Yes. But in all other respects it was "easier" to put that moose on the wall that everyone ooohs and aahhhs than any bow killed whitetail I have taken. The hardest part really was drawing the tag.... smile

No doubt, that is the hardest part of most big game hunting out West.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? [Re: Creekrunner] #4129000 03/18/13 07:54 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I will add I have heard many guides wax poetic (translated: cuss a blue streak) about Pennsylvania hunters. smile

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? [Re: txtrophy85] #4129010 03/18/13 07:58 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

I took a record book Shiras moose with a bow on a 5 day hunt. I have yet to take a record book whitetail with a bow in 35 years of bowhunting them. Was the hunt "hard" from a physical standpoint compared to sitting in a treestand for whitetails? Yes. But in all other respects it was "easier" to put that moose on the wall that everyone ooohs and aahhhs that any bow killed whitetail I have taken. The hardest part really was drawing the tag.... smile

its pretty easy to kill a mule deer. I could have killed one every time I went out. Maybe a mature buck is different but as far as does and immature bucks are concerned their easy to knock off.

elk and red deer are pretty wary though.

young muleys are dumb, but those arent the ones you're looking for. They need to be in the 6-8yo range and by that time they'd wised up. You watch MD hunts on the outdoor channel and will rarely see a deer fit that age range.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? [Re: Creekrunner] #4129028 03/18/13 08:03 PM
R
RLoving1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
My theory is the really obnoxious guys, no matter where they're from, are compensating for something...

Not me...they call me tripod! bolt

Brayden (Lazy L's Southern Comfort) you will be missed! You were more than a pet you were my reason to rise and return for many days! You were my rock!
12/26/03-10/25/13
Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? [Re: rifleman] #4129031 03/18/13 08:03 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I would also say that East Texans have the upper hand when heading to the mountains due to the difficulty of trying to pattern whitetails (nonexistent) in our terrain. stir

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? [Re: txtrophy85] #4129070 03/18/13 08:22 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

i thought the same thing....but when your up in the mountains, its just you, god and 2500 other people who drew tags that year, its really something special
roflmao

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? [Re: Navasot] #4129074 03/18/13 08:23 PM
T
TSU99 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
What the hell is "duggy"? Is that a slang word I need to learn now? I'm feeling old.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #4129075 03/18/13 08:23 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: PrimitiveHunter
I've only been on one guided hunt. I hunted Black Bear in Maine. The "guide" led me (him in his vehicle; me in mine) to the trail marker going to my bait and told me he didn't need to hear from me again unless I killed as bear. It was up to me to drive back and forth. He made it explictly clear that I was to load my own dead bear. Under no circumstances was I to come get him to help me. Unfortunately, I didn't get the opportunity to offend him. Cause I would have if I could have.

Not gona lie thats the kind of hunts i would enjoy..... just like i was taught how to swim

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide