Texas Hunting Forum

Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious?

Posted By: smh264

Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 04:55 PM

First let me qualify: I was born and raised in Texas until I was 31. I moved to Cody, Wyoming for 6 years and then to Montana for 19 years. Couldn't wait until I could get back down to Texas where I always considered home. Texas pride is everywhere, just look at the TX flags flying everywhere. We're taught by our parents/grandparents that all other states rotate around Texas and I still believe that. That said: Some Texans can be pretty obnoxious when it comes to hunting and their "know it all attitudes". (I'm guilty too at times so stay with me here.) I guided for big game out of Cody, WY for 3 years and was in the mountains hunting horseback for about 4 months every year. One particular pair of Texas hunters were bear hunting with us. They immediately began telling me how the baits were set wrong, wrong meat in them, wrong set-up in the barrel, wrong location, yada yada yada. I asked them where they had bear hunted before and both said they had "read about it" in different hunting magazines. This is the type of attitude that gives Texans a bad name in many of these hunting rich states. A PH in Zimbabwe even made a comment to us that the Texas hunters were certainly a different lot of people. He had been told by Texans what he was doing wrong in his African hunting and was told "this isn't how we do it back home". I realize that this will not change and this is only an observation, not an indictment on the Texas hunter. Sometimes we make better impressions if we listen more and talk a little less; some of these places would be more tolerant of us.
Posted By: Trout-killer

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 05:11 PM

Its not just hunters from Texas. The majority of Texans are obnoxious. Me included.

Oh... and welcome back to the land of "I'm better than you" wink
Posted By: HuntKill

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 05:17 PM

Haha....some are know-it-alls no matter what state they are from...I guess you have never been around some PA. Hunters..lol. As far as sharing camp...can't beat those Louisiana boys...they sure know how to eat and live'n up a camp!!
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 05:22 PM

I can totally see the ops points. Ive been guilty of it.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 05:32 PM

I bet you I can guess were they were from....
Posted By: Johnny Lobos

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 05:38 PM

There isn't much "real" hunting in Texas in my opinion, where its man against animal and environment.

I still disagree with you on 2.5lbs cheers
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 05:41 PM

I'm right all the time, but not obnoxious........
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 05:42 PM

I'm pretty quiet when I get out of Texas-mainly because I don't know jack compared to who I am trusting my hunt to when guided. If I am unguided I just do my thing and my buddies do theirs-we all will give our thoughts if requested but not until...
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 05:44 PM

"I still disagree with you on 2.5lbs"

Is that code?

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 05:45 PM

I like to share what I know but love to learn about new areas and how they are hunted... keep an open mind

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 05:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I'm pretty quiet when I get out of Texas-mainly because I don't know jack compared to who I am trusting my hunt to when guided. If I am unguided I just do my thing and my buddies do theirs-we all will give our thoughts if requested but not until...

If you ever do a sheep hunt in the lower 48 I can recommend a good guide that loves Texans, but he will mess with you about your accent.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 05:52 PM

Of course there are know it all hunters that come from Texas. Being a Texan has a lore about it that people don't forget and they know from other parts of the world. Those Texans were just more memorable than the people from the rest of the US.
Posted By: aeb

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 05:54 PM

I've had a few but absolutely the most obnoxious hunter (former hunter) was from Deep East Texas... somewhere close to Monroe.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: aeb
I've had a few but absolutely the most obnoxious hunter (former hunter) was from Deep East Texas... somewhere close to Monroe.

lol
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: HuntKill
Haha....some are know-it-alls no matter what state they are from...I guess you have never been around some PA. Hunters..lol. As far as sharing camp...can't beat those Louisiana boys...they sure know how to eat and live'n up a camp!!

X2!!!!

Ill hunt with a coon arse any day of the week.

Spent a week with some PA boys at elk camp.... basically told the outfitter. .. if he book PA boys same weej as me id never come back again. Being a TX boy himself he understood.

Last year hunted with a cali, fl, and Nebraska guys at elk camp and they where great!!!

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 06:09 PM

Not me I just pull in and honk a few times...just so they know the big deal is in town smile

Or I jump out of the truck and yell...Game Warden every one freeze.

Most the outfitters I hunt with usually know me pretty well and the new ones well they'll get to know me pretty quick.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 06:14 PM

Nebraska fellas know how to eat.... i feel like i gain 10lbs every time i go up there...

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 06:14 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Not me I just pull in and honk a few times...just so they know the big deal is in town smile

Most the outfitters I hunt with usually know me pretty well and the new ones well they'll get to know me pretty quick.

roflmao

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 06:17 PM

Johnny loco when you say man vs animal is a wt, mulie, or elk in other states more dangerous to hunt. Just curious about your statement NO REAL HUNTING in texas? I mean last time I checked with the exception of grizzly, kodiak, polar bear most animals in North America are not that dangerous to hunt wherever you hunt. As for Africa other than the dangerous game the plains game really aren't anymore dangerous as there bretheren relocated and raised here in texas from what a ph I met told me when asking what the differences are between shooting plains game exotics there vs here. Yes I'd agree on environmental factors hunting in others can be challenging especially cold, but I've guided many out of state guys in the dog days of summer and they are dying so I think it's a short sided statement to knock Texas.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

roflmao

loser8
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 06:25 PM

X2. I don't go into someone elses home and pretend to know where they keep their flour.

Whenever I hunt something/somewhere I don't have experiance with, I take a guide. makes it alot easier to be successful and gives you knowledge to boot!

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 06:28 PM

I do roll into Colorado and warn folks to hide they kids & hide they wives.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman

Do they ask you to show them how to duggy?

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 06:36 PM

yep, after my crank that tutorial of 2007, they know I'm the real deal.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 06:41 PM

roflmao

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 06:41 PM

Jorge,

I don't factor danger into the equation whatsoever. I'm not going to factor Africa, Pluto, or Ur-Anus into it either.

I'm simply stating that long standing classic hunting skills are for the most part, not used here in Texas, and many of our hunting practices are against the law in other states.

Most Texas hunting ain't much different than cattle ranching, and what other states would qualify as poaching. I kill a lot of animals here in Texas, I hunt out of state.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 06:46 PM

Not true, just like it wasn't true last time you posted it.

22 states allow hunting over feeders. Some states allow running dogs after deer, which is way easier than hunting over a feeder.

The HFs in Texas aren't legal some places, but again, it's hardly Texas versus everywhere else. It's split.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 06:50 PM

i wanna know what a long standing classic hunting skill is?

is it doing a deer drive, pushing a block of woods blowing whistles and banging pots to standers on the other side who shoot whatever is brown?

is it running dogs to catch a mountain lion, which is then shot while its treed?

its it shooting a black bear over a 55 gallon drum filled with honey and donuts?

Maybe its shooting an elk out of a herd that got pushed down the mountain from a blizzard the night before.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 06:53 PM

If you're not driving a herd of buffalo off a cliff on horseback or killing polar bears with spears, you're not hunting.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 06:54 PM

best thing is i realy cant find a reason to hunt out of state... i mean they got a bear season but chit...a bear is pretty much a pig as far as im concerned and i can shoot them anytime... wait was that obnoxious...

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 06:56 PM

Yes please elaborate Mr. Loco what are classic hunting skills. Use a spear if the skill set required in Texas doesn't meet your needs just a thought.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 07:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Johnny Loco
Jorge,

I don't factor danger into the equation whatsoever. I'm not going to factor Africa, Pluto, or Ur-Anus into it either.

I'm simply stating that long standing classic hunting skills are for the most part not used here in Texas and many of our hunting practices are against the law in other states.

Most Texas hunting ain't much difference than cattle ranching and what other states would qualify as poaching. I kill a lot of animals here in Texas, I hunt out of state.

lol when and how has baiting not been used.... how do they kill those animals over in africa.... seems like a water hole is a pretty common practice.... lets see a water hole in the middle of a desert.... yup sounds bout the same to me..

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 07:15 PM

best thing is i realy cant find a reason to hunt out of state... i mean they got a bear season but chit...a bear is pretty much a pig as far as im concerned and i can shoot them anytime... wait was that obnoxious...

i thought the same thing....but when your up in the mountains, its just you, god and 2500 other people who drew tags that year, its really something special
Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 07:17 PM

I've only been on one guided hunt. I hunted Black Bear in Maine. The "guide" led me (him in his vehicle; me in mine) to the trail marker going to my bait and told me he didn't need to hear from me again unless I killed as bear. It was up to me to drive back and forth. He made it explictly clear that I was to load my own dead bear. Under no circumstances was I to come get him to help me. Unfortunately, I didn't get the opportunity to offend him. Cause I would have if I could have.
Posted By: Mohawg

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 07:17 PM

Here we go!

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 07:24 PM

For what it's worth I turned several scimitar oryx hunts into quite an adventure. Had two guys out of state that said they would want to spot and stalk only with a bow. So that's what we did we left camp everyday on foot and covered every inch many times over of the 1k acres. 2 days later and getting them as close as 30 yards to the herd but not the biggest ones in herd. They decided a rifle was in order. Needless to say they did pick on tx for how we hunt. Point is many guys come to texas to hunt because they want horns. If these out of state guys were such purists they would not have said let's drive around and pick them off. So people can bash texas all they want but they still come to the best state to hunt. Is hunting a corn field or soybean field really that much different than a feeder come on!!

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 07:28 PM

Jorge,

I'm simply stating that long standing classic hunting skills are for the most part not used here in Texas and many of our hunting practices are against the law in other states.

Most Texas hunting ain't much difference than cattle ranching and what other states would qualify as poaching. I kill a lot of animals here in Texas, I hunt out of state.

lol when and how has baiting not been used.... how do they kill those animals over in africa.... seems like a water hole is a pretty common practice.... lets see a water hole in the middle of a desert.... yup sounds bout the same to me..

the common way to hunt lion and leopard is the kill a small antelope and hang it in a tree

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: jorge
For what it's worth I turned several scimitar oryx hunts into quite an adventure. Had two guys out of state that said they would want to spot and stalk only with a bow. So that's what we did we left camp everyday on foot and covered every inch many times over of the 1k acres. 2 days later and getting them as close as 30 yards to the herd but not the biggest ones in herd. They decided a rifle was in order. Needless to say they did pick on tx for how we hunt. Point is many guys come to texas to hunt because they want horns. If these out of state guys were such purists they would not have said let's drive around and pick them off. So people can bash texas all they want but they still come to the best state to hunt. Is hunting a corn field or soybean field really that much different than a feeder come on!!

its up to the hunter to choose how he wants to hunt. If I want to rattle, I rattle. If I want to sit in a blind and drink beer, thats what I do.

in certain areas, I like to get on a ridge and glass valleys and the sides of hills hoping to spot game and make my move. some areas thats not a practical or efficent way, and your stuck sitting in a tripod watching a pipeline right of way

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 07:36 PM

Ahhhh I always love the "it ain't hunting if it ain't done this way/that way" argument.

It's all hunting-it's just different. Roughly generalizing, the hard part about hunting "spot and stalk" out west/up north is getting to and finding the animal. A sheep, a moose, an antelope is about a "3" on the wariness scale compared to a whitetail at about a "9".That's why they are hunted differently. (I would throw mule deer,bear,caribou in there but I haven't hunted them yet).

I took a record book Shiras moose with a bow on a 5 day hunt. I have yet to take a record book whitetail with a bow in 35 years of bowhunting them. Was the hunt "hard" from a physical standpoint compared to sitting in a treestand for whitetails? Yes. But in all other respects it was "easier" to put that moose on the wall that everyone ooohs and aahhhs than any bow killed whitetail I have taken. The hardest part really was drawing the tag.... smile

You'll notice I didn't mention elk. To me, they are a special challenge if one desires a good bull. Wary and challenging country to boot.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 07:42 PM

Ahhhh I always love the "it ain't hunting if it ain't done this way/that way" argument.

It's all hunting-it's just different. Roughly generalizing, the hard part about hunting "spot and stalk" out west/up north is getting to and finding the animal. A sheep, a moose, an antelope is about a "3" on the wariness scale compared to a whitetail at about a "9".That's why they are hunted differently. (I would throw mule deer,bear,caribou in there but I haven't hunted them yet).

I took a record book Shiras moose with a bow on a 5 day hunt. I have yet to take a record book whitetail with a bow in 35 years of bowhunting them. Was the hunt "hard" from a physical standpoint compared to sitting in a treestand for whitetails? Yes. But in all other respects it was "easier" to put that moose on the wall that everyone ooohs and aahhhs that any bow killed whitetail I have taken. The hardest part really was drawing the tag.... smile

You'll notice I didn't mention elk. To me, they are a special challenge if one desires a good bull. Wary and challenging country to boot.

its pretty easy to kill a mule deer. I could have killed one every time I went out. Maybe a mature buck is different but as far as does and immature bucks are concerned their easy to knock off.

elk and red deer are pretty wary though.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 07:49 PM

Yes I have seen many smaller buck mule deer while hunting other stuff I could have easily taken with a bow. I have yet to lay eyes on a true trophy mulie while hunting. But some of those Colorado/Alberta big mulie prairie hunts look pretty simple from what I see on the boob tube. And black bears over barrel baits in a decent area don't look to strenuous or difficult either.

I'm going after big blackies with a rifle on Vancouver Island in June and I'll give a report when I get back. From what I gather, I don't think the challenge will be overwhelming though....
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 07:49 PM

My theory is the really obnoxious guys, no matter where they're from, are compensating for something...

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 07:51 PM

I took a record book Shiras moose with a bow on a 5 day hunt. I have yet to take a record book whitetail with a bow in 35 years of bowhunting them. Was the hunt "hard" from a physical standpoint compared to sitting in a treestand for whitetails? Yes. But in all other respects it was "easier" to put that moose on the wall that everyone ooohs and aahhhs than any bow killed whitetail I have taken. The hardest part really was drawing the tag.... smile

No doubt, that is the hardest part of most big game hunting out West.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 07:54 PM

I will add I have heard many guides wax poetic (translated: cuss a blue streak) about Pennsylvania hunters. smile

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

I took a record book Shiras moose with a bow on a 5 day hunt. I have yet to take a record book whitetail with a bow in 35 years of bowhunting them. Was the hunt "hard" from a physical standpoint compared to sitting in a treestand for whitetails? Yes. But in all other respects it was "easier" to put that moose on the wall that everyone ooohs and aahhhs that any bow killed whitetail I have taken. The hardest part really was drawing the tag.... smile

its pretty easy to kill a mule deer. I could have killed one every time I went out. Maybe a mature buck is different but as far as does and immature bucks are concerned their easy to knock off.

elk and red deer are pretty wary though.

young muleys are dumb, but those arent the ones you're looking for. They need to be in the 6-8yo range and by that time they'd wised up. You watch MD hunts on the outdoor channel and will rarely see a deer fit that age range.
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
My theory is the really obnoxious guys, no matter where they're from, are compensating for something...

Not me...they call me tripod! bolt

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 08:03 PM

I would also say that East Texans have the upper hand when heading to the mountains due to the difficulty of trying to pattern whitetails (nonexistent) in our terrain. stir

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 08:22 PM

i thought the same thing....but when your up in the mountains, its just you, god and 2500 other people who drew tags that year, its really something special
roflmao
Posted By: TSU99

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 08:23 PM

What the hell is "duggy"? Is that a slang word I need to learn now? I'm feeling old.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: PrimitiveHunter
I've only been on one guided hunt. I hunted Black Bear in Maine. The "guide" led me (him in his vehicle; me in mine) to the trail marker going to my bait and told me he didn't need to hear from me again unless I killed as bear. It was up to me to drive back and forth. He made it explictly clear that I was to load my own dead bear. Under no circumstances was I to come get him to help me. Unfortunately, I didn't get the opportunity to offend him. Cause I would have if I could have.

Not gona lie thats the kind of hunts i would enjoy..... just like i was taught how to swim

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: TSU99
What the hell is "duggy"? Is that a slang word I need to learn now? I'm feeling old.

Its an Htown thang

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 08:27 PM

Jorge,

Right because shooting a deer out of an alafala feild from the comfort of a John Deere is so much more ethical. ..or leaving beans standing so you have a honey hole in late Dec.

Bad agruement Johnny

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner

And just how did you come about this peep

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 08:31 PM

Jorge,

Right because shooting a deer out of an alafala feild from the comfort of a John Deere is so much more ethical. ..or leaving beans standing so you have a honey hole in late Dec.

Bad agruement Johnny

John deere would not be happy with that.... of corse its ethical if your rollin green......NO MATTER WHAT

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 08:31 PM

Elk are easy just got to hunt the right place...like the white apache, or a few of the NM rezs.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 08:55 PM

I'm not trying to make a case or argument here.

Hey, if you guys are satisfied with your Texas game harvesting methods, more power to ya!

Some folks think green beans come from a can.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 08:55 PM

Elk are easy just got to hunt the right place...like the white apache, or a few of the NM rezs.

Yeah I know but ol' Noggy P ain't frontin' the coin for the Rez thang. (My banger talk for this year.) smile
Posted By: KG68

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 08:57 PM

I ain't gonna apologize for being a better hunter, smarter, better looking, and more adored by women then men from other states. grin

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By: TSU99

Its an Htown thang

and its obvious both of ya'll arn't hip to the ghetto slang.

its spelled "dougie"

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: KG68
I ain't gonna apologize for being a better hunter, smarter, better looking, and more adored by women then men from other states. grin

I sure hope you're not more adored by women...then men...

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 09:37 PM

Yeah I know but ol' Noggy P ain't frontin' the coin for the Rez thang. (My banger talk for this year.) smile

just draw a CO unit(s) 2/201/10 tag and see how you do up

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 09:38 PM

I seriously think that the main reason the Texas hunters seem so obnoxious at times is that from the time we can walk and talk; it is drilled into us (at least it was when I was raised) to think Texas is the only state that matters. All the other states just rotate around what Texas does and we could certainly make it on our own if we got out of the conglomerated United States. Some of the other states mentioned certainly produce their share of memorable hunters. Minnesota was a state that had a reputation of producing hunters that were just plain ignorant of everything concerning a real hunt. We saw one in New Braunfels in the mid 70's bring in his turkey to show people at the ice house where registration took place for the big buck contest. No one said a word, but his turkey was nothing but a stinking buzzard. Another in WY was checking out the Sunlight Basin game warden check with his mule deer. I glanced into the back of his pick-up and saw a beautiful bighorn sheep but no mulie. The two hunters, from Minnesota, didn't know the difference between a mulie and a bighorn sheep. Since only 3 permits were issued for that area, they shut down one hunter the following year because of the illegal take. Gotta love it.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 09:38 PM

How did the "dougie" makes it way to this thread? Next thing is doing a "c walk" after shooting a monter buck or the Harlem shake! Haha.

Loco then why even "kill" in Texas kinda seems a little hipocritcal wouldn't ya say. I mean having true classic hunting skills. So is there a "Neo hunting style"?????
Posted By: KG68

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 09:40 PM

I ain't gonna apologize for being a better hunter, smarter, better looking, and more adored by women than men from other states. grin

There Fixed it. blush

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 09:41 PM

just draw a CO unit(s) 2/201/10 tag and see how you do up

I'm still burning incense to the sheep drawing idols-12th year in 10+ states. One of these days,Alice,one of these days.... grin

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 09:41 PM

I ain't gonna apologize for being a better hunter, smarter, better looking, and more adored by women than men from other states. grin

There Fixed it. blush

honest mistake.....in Vegas grin

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 09:43 PM

I'm still burning incense to the sheep drawing idols-12th year in 10+ states. One of these days,Alice,one of these days.... grin

It'll happen. Until then you can claim to be sheep scouting and go on random elk & MD hunts grin

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 09:47 PM

No Jorge, I just recognize the difference between fresh picked, frozen, and canned.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 09:59 PM

I'm so dang good, I can sneak up on them while they sleep and never be noticed.. I really should change my username to Ninja Flatlander.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 09:59 PM

Your (Loco) here bashing texas but its been very well put that every state has its "appearance" of an easy hunt. Corn fields, bean fields, sendero with a feeder. Anyone can construe any form of hunting somewhere as easy. Why bash texas? And you still have yet to define what classic hunting skills are?

For the places where you hunt vs kill. Do you trek miles upon miles in the wilderness, use no bait such as corn or hunt an alfalfa field, do you use a high powered rifle and shoot at 300+ yds where the animal doesn't even have a clue or do you get up close and personal. If you use a bow compound or recurve? A lot is left on the table with your short sided statement imo
Posted By: Don Dial

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 10:06 PM

Over 40 yrs. ago when my cousins and I hunted the Cathedrals in Colorado, the worst hunter was a greenhorn from Texas riding around in a Jeep full of Colorado Tullies..They shot everything w/a horn whether it was around other hunters or not and looked and let it lay..that is until the Game Warden got there..You get some pretty different folks everywhere..We got spat at /on and cursed as we went thru Denver w/our trucks and Mule Deer & Elk..
Same people are parents and grandparents of what's there now..DD

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 10:11 PM

Jorge,

My days of taking game at sniper distances are behind me as are my days with chicken wire, T-Post, and a ball bat, drowning, or running them over with a truck. I don't elk hunt nor poach anymore.

I can Trek, sit in the middle of a creek, ground, or I can climb a tree. Its a falacy that deer (big bucks) are waiting at the edge of an agriculture field waiting for the sun to set outside of Texas I usually hunt areas so rich with food sources such as acorns, deer won't even touch corn or rice bran. It could be weeks before any tracks show up in a green field. I hunt thick stuff along creek bottoms "up close" as you say. I use a bow or a rifle, sometimes iron sights, sometimes a scope, sometimes only a camera.

I'm not bashing Texas, we have our pets well trained here. I wish I could teach them how to skin each other out.

A summation of Texas ethics can be found in the following quote by many different fellas I've heard. "I don't shoot them while their head is down at the corn feeder, I waits until they lift their head up to chew"

Sometimes I likes to picks my green beans, other times I likes them from a can.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 10:20 PM

our usual unit in CO is an easy buck hunt if you just want to kill a buck. There's a 40 acre tater patch with no cover on it surrounded by BLM... you want to kill a 175+" deer just sit there the entire season and hope everyone else lays off the trigger on the smaller bucks to keep it quiet. There'll be a ton of deer drop down before dark and still sitting there at daylight. Some of the older bucks on the move will drift in at night. I check it, but everyone else is onto that game too and the last cpl years out of around 25 tags/season I'd be willing to bet 10-15 are filled right there.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 10:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Trout-killer
Its not just hunters from Texas. The majority of Texans are obnoxious. Me included.

Tourists also qualify as obnoxious, it doesn't matter what state they are from. Some states have residents that are more obnoxious than others. In Ruidoso, Texans are rated right behind the Californians as far as being obnoxious. But don't leave out the residents of Colorado, Oklahoma and Louisiana, they seem to be pretty good at also being obnoxious. The only state I haven't heard many complaints for is Arizona, not sure as to why, but my guess would be they are grateful for the peace and quiet in the cool mountain air.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/18/13 11:38 PM

Jorge,

Bad agruement Johnny

What are "long standing classic hunting skills" please define Loco
Posted By: Mri2biteback

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 12:35 AM

I learned to hunt in AZ by my Texan father on public land we hunted over water holes or we would get up high on mountain sit glass and let other people push them out the bottom most of the time our shots were long or the animal was on the run most of the time you had a very short window if you saw anything at all I lived and hunted in New Mexico same thing the animals we shot were not mature no management at all moved to Texas 10 yrs ago talked the same bull as Johnny got on a deer lease started hunting from a blind over a corn feeder saw over 20 deer first time out never had I saw that many deer on opening morning never did I see that hunting public land now wouldn't hunt any other way I learned how to age on the hoof now I won't shoot a animal less its mature most Texas hunters I met are very management orientated while most public land hunts aren't
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 01:16 AM

Yeah! There's a lot of people out there who believe they know it all. I wish they'd just move over and make room for those of us who do..... bolt

At my age I can be obnoxious! Now then lets talk about Politically Correct....peep
Posted By: jmc82

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 01:23 AM

Born and raised in Texas. I can see how obnoxious we are.
Posted By: thedoveshooter

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 01:25 AM

Most are not. But those handful that are make a bad impression on everyone.
Posted By: txhunter26

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 01:35 AM

roflmao bolt
That's good stuff..
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 01:52 AM

When I go out of state for any reason I try to be respectful to people just like I would here. That's until they decide to hate me for no reason. Then I can be quite obnoxious. I spent a year working in PA. Met some good people, but many of them hated me just for being born in a better state than them. We had a great deal of fun walking into a bar and loading up the juke box with some Ray Wylie Hubbard.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish
...There's a lot of people out there who believe they know it all. I wish they'd just move over and make room for those of us who do.

That is the best funny response!

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 02:52 AM

For some reason, only the deer here in Texas ignore the wild table set and choose to only hit the feeders. Do I have that right, Loco?

Really an amazing occurence.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 02:55 AM

x2
Originally Posted By: Trout-killer

Posted By: aeb

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 03:18 AM

You guys are always debating the ”old” ways vs. the “new” ways but I will tell you from first hand experience that chasing down a saber toothed tiger wearing nothing but a loin cloth was not fun. I ain’t going back!!!
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 03:24 AM

I read the title of this thread and had one answer in mind...

...I read the thread and changed my answer grin
Posted By: buck-snort

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 03:45 AM

New Title - Does the most obnoxious Hunter reside in Helotes, Texas?
Posted By: LAstrutter

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 03:53 AM

Back to the original question. Yes, especially hunters who are Texas Longhorn fans, but not as bad as ones who are LSU fans.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 04:49 AM

...nothin wrong with LSU, they have a Vet program so the agricultural ties makes them okay.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 05:01 AM

Loco is a legend in his own mind, the rest of us can see the full tank of fresh BS that fills his being, from top to bottom with no voids. Sorta reminds me of the reason for this entire thread. And Nogalus, if you put bighorn sheep hunting in Wyoming at a "3" it simply tells me that you've never hunted bighorns. They are one of the hardest of game animals in North America to hunt; one reason being how much trouble it is just to get to their range during the legal season.
Posted By: Toepuncher

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 05:47 AM

Originally Posted By: smh264
Loco is a legend in his own mind, the rest of us can see the full tank of fresh BS that fills his being, from top to bottom with no voids. Sorta reminds me of the reason for this entire thread. And Nogalus, if you put bighorn sheep hunting in Wyoming at a "3" it simply tells me that you've never hunted bighorns. They are one of the hardest of game animals in North America to hunt; one reason being how much trouble it is just to get to their range during the legal season.

You might want to re-read Nogalus's post because the statement you attribute to him is about 10% accurate at best. Here is what he said: "A sheep, a moose, an antelope is about a '3' on the wariness scale compared to a whitetail at about a '9'." He never said that a bighorn sheep hunt in Wyoming rates a 3. He was talking about one thing: wariness. He did say that the difficult part of spot and stalk hunting in the west is getting to and finding the animal, which is a big part of what you are saying too. I suspect he would agree with you that a bighorn sheep hunt in Wyoming is challenging and highly desirable.
Posted By: Trout-killer

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 11:33 AM

we could certainly make it on our own if we got out of the conglomerated United States.

I always get a good chuckle from the people who think Texas would make it as a country.

Thank you for giving me a good laugh this mourning.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 12:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Toepuncher

You might want to re-read Nogalus's post because the statement you attribute to him is about 10% accurate at best. Here is what he said: "A sheep, a moose, an antelope is about a '3' on the wariness scale compared to a whitetail at about a '9'." He never said that a bighorn sheep hunt in Wyoming rates a 3. He was talking about one thing: wariness. He did say that the difficult part of spot and stalk hunting in the west is getting to and finding the animal, which is a big part of what you are saying too. I suspect he would agree with you that a bighorn sheep hunt in Wyoming is challenging and highly desirable.

What he said.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 12:42 PM

In my experiences people come from all over with different attitudes toward hunting and some so different that they will never be invited back. But for the most part, the hunters I have the most fun with are generally from the southern regions of the United States.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 12:59 PM

I would also say that East Texans have the upper hand when heading to the mountains due to the difficulty of trying to pattern whitetails (nonexistent) in our terrain. stir

I would say East Texans have the upper hand everywhere due to our bred-in-the-bone hunting skills that work anywhere from the Arctic to Africa. up

(Wait...was that obnoxious? scratch )

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 02:47 PM

"Hunting Skills"

My ears are deceiving me roflmao

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 02:52 PM

I would say East Texans have the upper hand everywhere due to our bred-in-the-bone hunting skills that work anywhere from the Arctic to Africa. up

I'd have no problem shooting a polar bear out of a truck windowwhistle

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 03:23 PM

Jorge,

My days of taking game at sniper distances are behind me as are my days with chicken wire, T-Post, and a ball bat, drowning, or running them over with a truck. I don't elk hunt nor poach anymore.

I know I have a mental debate when I go into the field whether or not to grab a T-Post over the .270.

its accuracy or distance isn't as good but it carries alot better and i'm always 100% certain the sights didn't get knocked off.

Seriously, do you read the chit that you post?

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 03:24 PM

your right, spotlights and .22's will work anywhere from the arctic to africa

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 04:04 PM

That ain't right.... smile

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 04:12 PM

I realize that toepuncher and that is why I said he had never hunted bighorn sheep. They have a tremendous wariness which is why a huge number of tags go unused. You can wear out a pair of hunting boots in one season just trying to get up on the bighorns. Their wariness compared to a whitetail is off the charts.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 04:33 PM

The sheep in the back of the Jackson Elk Refuge will eat ice off your tires. The ones that are in the CO unit we hunt think if they don't move they're hidden, the ones outside of Yellowstone in Gardiner do the same thing. From my observation, sheep hunts are more about the hunt, not so much shooting the easy ones, but trying to kill them in the extremes of their habitat.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 04:50 PM

I realize that toepuncher and that is why I said he had never hunted bighorn sheep. They have a tremendous wariness which is why a huge number of tags go unused. You can wear out a pair of hunting boots in one season just trying to get up on the bighorns. Their wariness compared to a whitetail is off the charts.

Well they are a whole lot warier than Dalls then-as 3 of us stalked within shooting distance of several groups of them in the Yukon after spotting them...now the boot-wearing out part I think I pointed out by saying getting to/finding them is hard.

And to add: although I haven't hunted them I am pretty familiar with success rates in NR Wyoming bighorn units over the past decade. Roughly runs about 80% across the major units (3,4&5) Read into that what you wish I guess.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 04:57 PM

I may be wrong on this, but I was thinking that WY had a quota system in place on sheep (or maybe it's just certain units), where tags are almost OTC but when quota is met, everyone is done.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 05:48 PM

I may be wrong on this, but I was thinking that WY had a quota system in place on sheep (or maybe it's just certain units), where tags are almost OTC but when quota is met, everyone is done.

No the only place I am aware of that does that on sheep is the unlimited unit in Montana. Wyoming does that in many areas for bears and lions.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 05:52 PM

okay, I got WY & Montana mixed up on that...close enough thoughgrin
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 06:04 PM

They immediately began telling me how the baits were set wrong, wrong meat in them, wrong set-up in the barrel, wrong location, yada yada yada.

Lets see. Some Texas boys offered some valuable and free advice and you did not take them up on it. That is too bad. Your bear kills would have increased by 50% and most Bears taken from that day forward would have been trophy size. Perhaps you should have a more open mind. Looks like you missed out to me. This of course can be the only proper response from a true Texan.
peep

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 06:06 PM

roflmao

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 06:08 PM

roflmao

X2. But we are all thinking there is always a little truth in every joke smile

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 06:14 PM

If you ain't using twinkies and aunt jemima syrup to bait bears you're doing it wrong.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 06:22 PM

That ain't right.... smile[/quote]

a 40 grain thunderbolt knows no bounds
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 06:47 PM

I'm a Texan... And the only time I was wrong was when I thought I was wrong.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 08:51 PM

Hey rifleman. The sheep on the South Fork out of Cody will practically come up to your vehicle on the main road starting around December or thereabouts. They are breeding at this time and this is their traditional breeding grounds, there is a road through it now and the sheep are not afraid of vehicles. This is a totally different bighorn before this breeding starts. No such thing as a sheep standing for you to casually walk up to it. Same as the sheep in the DuBois area, the Whiskey Range, the Gardner area and other places I have hunted for them. This is like saying that the elk that come down from the high country after the heavy snows and reside in Gardner are typical of the elk that are hunted in the high country. Unless you are lucky enough to catch the migratory herd in its move down, you actually have to hunt a wary game animal in order to score. Anyone who knows the area of the bighorns know that this is a different type of mountain range and is totally separate from the ranges on the south and western side of Cody. Sheep permits are probably the hardest of all permits to draw in WY. I put in as did my wife for many years and never drew. People I know up there had put in over 20 years and had never drawn.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 09:38 PM

That last point is very true. Which is why dissing someone as a know-nothing because they haven't hunted for bighorns in Wyoming is kind of a cheap shot.

Since you never drew but hunted them did you win a raffle or buy a Governor's tag?

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 09:44 PM

That last point is very true. Which is why dissing someone as a know-nothing because they haven't hunted for bighorns in Wyoming is kind of a cheap shot.

Since you never drew but hunted them did you win a raffle or buy a Governor's tag?

No I went to Mexico and shot five in five years...never had to get out of my truck

whistle

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 09:45 PM

No I went to Mexico and shot five in five years...never had to get out of my truck

Man your a real east Texan if you can shoot from inside the cab

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 09:49 PM

Don't confuse the Okie as being E-Texans..he gets his practice from leaving pasture gates open for a cpl days then closing it and running the speedgoats around in circles before figuring out which one he wants to shoot.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 09:55 PM

If you have to get out you ain't a real bar-ditch ninja.....

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 09:55 PM

SMH, they're going to act differently in different environments because they're not used to seeing people in some areas and they know something isn't quite right. The ones we always see in Colorado are dumb year-round (or at least from Sept to Nov). The mountain goats on the other hand right in that area aren't and it makes it hard for me to take pics of them.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 09:58 PM

whistle

Dang BOBO quit holdin' out on all the good truck hunts. smile

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 10:01 PM

whistle

Dang BOBO quit holdin' out on all the good truck hunts. smile

I shot the biggest from back poarch of the lodge. 178"

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 10:02 PM

Spot and stalked his arse in my snoopy pj's

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 10:03 PM

Nogalus, you can take a cheap shot but not me, don't think so. I was a guide in WY for 3 years for an outfitter out of Cody. I didn't diss you at all, simply pointed out that to say what you did, shows me you have never hunted bighorn sheep in WY. Is this not true?
Rifleman, isn't that the point I was trying to make? I was answering the comment that bighorns are a "3" on the wariness scale compared to a "9" for whitetail and I simply said you haven't hunted the WY high country bighorns or that would not have been stated as fact. I'm thinking you forgot what got this portion of the thread going.

Bobo, if you were hitech redneck like the real deal East Texans, you'd drive your flatbottom around Carmen Island and kill a stringer full in one hunt grin

Smh I am more than willing to give a sheep a 4 or a 5 on the wariness scale if you think that is more accurate. But I ain't going any higher for a group of animals that stood around their dead comrade after the report of a .300 magnum and as 3 men approached.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 10:06 PM

Nogalus, you can take a cheap shot but not me, don't think so. I was a guide in WY for 3 years for an outfitter out of Cody. I didn't diss you at all, simply pointed out that to say what you did, shows me you have never hunted bighorn sheep in WY. Is this not true?
Rifleman, isn't that the point I was trying to make? I was answering the comment that bighorns are a "3" on the wariness scale compared to a "9" for whitetail and I simply said you haven't hunted the WY high country bighorns or that would not have been stated as fact. I'm thinking you forgot what got this portion of the thread going.

they're aware of you, all animals are aware of you, but because of limited tags and low pressure hunting it can make them dumber than what they are.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 10:09 PM

And smh if I took a cheap shot I apologize as I didn't mean to. Usually when I do that I am aware of it. But not always-as a lawyer it just kinda happens sometimes. Right BOBO? bolt
Posted By: AGaddy

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 10:09 PM

wow

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 10:19 PM

see...CO sheep, out during an open season and not really to concerned about me.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 10:24 PM

see...CO sheep, out during an open season and not really to concerned about me.

Taken from your truck I presume? They obviously don't know your reputation...

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 10:31 PM

I was outside the truck, had to take a leak and get a red Diamond refill.
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 10:36 PM

so the answer to the original topic is...yes? peep

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 10:38 PM

So far Bobo is the only obnoxious one, which explains why Goldy goes on hunts with him to try to even things out. Bobo won't be quiet and Goldy charges you $5 a word to hear him talk....
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 10:44 PM

loser8

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 10:59 PM

Yes, TXthrophy, I don't just read the chit I post, I live it.

You have to use the T-Post, chicken wire, and the ball bat together. Its pretty brutal but no more so than hunting hogs with dogs and a knife. I've caught deer with treble hooks too. Have you ever heard the gush of wind as you slit their throats, thats up close and personal for sure and doesn't work very well.

Anyone here leave 100% chocolate bars arount their campsites in wolf states or is that just me? Dead K-9 instead of dead Johnny Loco.

Anyone here like to keep bears busy with big cans of dog food with holes punched in them or is that just me too? Keeps them busy all night and I've never had one wake me up asking for a can opener.

How many folks other than me make fire logs with brown paper bags, duct tape, and pine cones? Thats my favorite for state and national parks where they don't want you gathering fire wood because they rather sell it to you. Sometimes you can see the flames from space.

Oh, and whatever you do, don't ever wrap ten boxes of sparklers tightly together with duct tape, leave one sticking out, and light it! You'll find that sparklers are indeed the most dangerous of the festivity items.

Wanna know why car batteries are explosive?

Best way to cook deer meat?

How to tie a tie?

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/19/13 11:48 PM

I knew you were doing a "bit" Johnny..... smile
Posted By: maceman

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 12:21 AM

I want to know how much wood a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood???

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 12:24 AM

1.275 cords per hour.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 12:28 AM

Thanks Rifleman, i can sleep tonight!!! LOL I think there are a@@holes no matter where you go!! Texans just have thier own way of thinking!!

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 12:31 AM

I think rifleman is correct.

I've also seen three black panthers (cats) with orange eyes in Alabama and Florida.
I've seen regular black panthers (people) there also.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 12:32 AM

Some people are just like that, OP

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 12:52 AM

Yes, TXthrophy, I don't just read the chit I post, I live it.

You have to use the T-Post, chicken wire, and the ball bat together. Its pretty brutal but no more so than hunting hogs with dogs and a knife. I've caught deer with treble hooks too. Have you ever heard the gush of wind as you slit their throats, thats up close and personal for sure and doesn't work very well.

Are these classic hunting skills? Still wondering what they are.....

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 01:10 AM

T-posts are for wimps. I use wood posts--Buford Pusser style...

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 01:42 AM

No Jorge, these are poaching skills from when I was a young hungry poor Alabama boy. Kinda the same as hunting over a deer feeder, but not really.

My classic and yours are probably way different but the least amount of techno mechanical devices the better in my opinion. No deer feeding time apps, feet instead of four wheelers, bows or iron sights, no feeders. Connect with the wild not products.

You drive in four T-Post on a trail where deer jump a fence under pressure, wire the chicken wire 2 feet off the ground and wait until they land in it, their hoofs will go through. If it gets caught between their toes, don't worry, the mangled foot will eventually go through. Beat them to death with the bat.
Posted By: Charles Smith II

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 01:53 AM

Not obnoxious...just extremely confident.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 01:56 AM

Another pinnacle of the Texas hunting farce is watching someone in a box blind using a feeding time and weather forecast app, in front of a corn feeder.

roflmao texas elmer deer2

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 01:58 AM

If I turn my back to my corn feeder and not watch it can I be considered a real hunter?

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 02:00 AM

I think being an obnoxious Texas hunter is excusable when you can laugh at yourself.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 02:04 AM

I think being an obnoxious know-it-all hunter who talks a lotta crap is excusable when it provides such entertaining reading.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 02:04 AM

I have a feeling people think I'm an obnoxious Texas hunter over on the Utah based hunting forum.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 02:09 AM

I think being an obnoxious know-it-all hunter who talks a lotta crap is excusable when it provides such entertaining reading.

can we get a "Like" button on here?

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 02:13 AM

I have a feeling people think I'm an obnoxious Texas hunter over on the Utah based hunting forum.

I'm going to join what's your user name

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 02:18 AM

And smh if I took a cheap shot I apologize as I didn't mean to. Usually when I do that I am aware of it. But not always-as a lawyer it just kinda happens sometimes. Right BOBO? bolt

You can hunt with me any time cheers consider my beer you got out of my truck as a retainer... I got a feeling I might need representation and if the GW asks if you know me and rifle man say no, my car broke down the road and they where just giving me a ride

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 02:18 AM

If y'all are talking about MM I used to spend a lot of time on there till I discovered this joint....
Posted By: Cannon

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 02:19 AM

As a native Alabamian, I hope no one associates Loco with Alabama. There is a reason he can never return.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 02:19 AM

Son I was raise by a pack of prairie dogs in the Oklahoma panhandle, You're kind of a city slicker in my eyes smile

No Jorge, these are poaching skills from when I was a young hungry poor Alabama boy. Kinda the same as hunting over a deer feeder, but not really.

My classic and yours are probably way different but the least amount of techno mechanical devices the better in my opinion. No deer feeding time apps, feet instead of four wheelers, bows or iron sights, no feeders. Connect with the wild not products.

You drive in four T-Post on a trail where deer jump a fence under pressure, wire the chicken wire 2 feet off the ground and wait until they land in it, their hoofs will go through. If it gets caught between their toes, don't worry, the mangled foot will eventually go through. Beat them to death with the bat.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Cannon
As a native Alabamian, I hope no one associates Loco with Alabama. There is a reason he can never return.

He is a city slicker. He tried to trap my foster parents with a live trap.....really?

Every one noes you can trap prairie dogs with a trap...daaaaa

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 02:21 AM

You can hunt with me any time cheers consider my beer you got out of my truck as a retainer... I got a filling I might need representation and if the GW asks if you know me and rifle man said no my car broke down the road and they where just giving me a ride

roflmao

Don't worry I'll ditch you two faster than Johnny Loco can snare a fawn when the law dogs show up....

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 02:22 AM

Yelp you really are a lawyer ...lol

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 02:27 AM

tx_packmule

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 02:27 AM

I was suckled by a Mammy gator on the Attoyac and used canebrakes for baby rattles. Y'all are all kinda wimpy to me but my humility has held me back from sayin' it till just now....

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 02:29 AM

Son I was raise by a pack of prairie dogs in the Oklahoma panhandle, You're kind of a city slicker in my eyes smile

I throw corn in an old spring mattress..there's a reason we don't have turkeys anymore...ive trapped them all stir

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 02:30 AM

I was suckled by a Mammy gator on the Attoyac and used canebrakes for baby rattles. Y'all are all kinda wimpy to me but my humility has held me back from sayin' it till just now....

Wish you would have taken your baby rattles with you

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 02:34 AM

If y'all are talking about MM I used to spend a lot of time on there till I discovered this joint....

That be the one

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 02:37 AM

That be the one

This is much more entertaining but I do kinda miss Feleno,Sage, and the gang.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 02:39 AM

Our rattlers laugh at yalls mini me baby rattlers

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 02:41 AM

tx_packmule

Pm me the name
Posted By: thedoveshooter

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 02:42 AM

Originally Posted By: LAstrutter
Back to the original question. Yes, especially hunters who are Texas Longhorn fans, but not as bad as ones who are LSU fans.

rofl

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 02:50 AM

Our rattlers laugh at yalls mini me baby rattlers

My first one..they got bigger after that...

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 02:51 AM

Cute Little City slicker

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 02:53 AM

The other ones wouldn't fit in the camera frame...

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 02:55 AM

The other ones wouldn't fit in the camera frame...

Sounds like one of those cute little city slicker pocket cameras smile

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 03:27 AM

That be the one

I'm almost convinced that they don't hunt

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 12:33 PM

That be the one

I'm almost convinced that they don't hunt

I agree. I think they spend most ot their time drinking beer and trolling the internet for wimmin pics...

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 12:44 PM

I think J Loco reads too much and lives in a dream world. When he shuts his eyes and day dreams, he sees himself as the old Marlboro man or maybe even Tarzan.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 03:36 PM

I agree. I think they spend most ot their time drinking beer and trolling the internet for wimmin pics...

lately the trend has been "name that booty"...and griping over the Colorado Gov tags by the Gunnison locals.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 05:12 PM

Google "Outdoor Channel pulls out of Colorado" and look at what Colorado is losing because of their anti-gun stand. Pretty cool of them to actually take a stand against a state like Colorado.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 05:24 PM

The prob is I-25, not so much the folks who are avid outdoorsmen. However in this case, these folks reside in an area comprised of several trophy units and they can't hunt "their deer" as often as they would like and feel others shouldn't be able to either. The excuse is the gov tags gets deer shot on their winter range.... so in this case one fully mature buck with a heck of a rack is going to offset 30-40 or so immature tag filler bucks from earlier seasons.....and I'm the obnoxious know-nothing. grin

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 06:54 PM

But you are from TEXAS and its expected that you be obnoxious according to many of these posts. Some here are certainly living up to expectations. Many Colorado hunters are the ones who hate Texans as a rule. In MT and WY the Colorado people were known as "Greenies". You could tell them from as far as you could see the green license plates. Like Nogales or BoBo said earlier, it has sure been entertaining.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 07:02 PM

That's all we're looking for is some form of entertainment grin I know these Coloradians (?) dislike Texans because a Texan gets 3/4 of the landowner vouchers for 2 of their hard to draw units because of his land holdings. They see a Texas plate and figure out you have a voucher in your possession they automatically assume you;re associated with that evil landowner.
Posted By: Jarhead Rick

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 07:08 PM

I gotta weigh in on this one, guys. I'm from Nebraska and I got on this site to leave a scathing review for an outfitter in Texas that ripped me off. But, I ran across this thread by accident and I have had a great laugh. I gotta say that I like the style of you Texas people. You say what's on your mind and have a good sense of humor about everything. There is nothing wrong with being proud of ones home state. The world is getting too PC these days and it's refreshing to find people who will tell it like it is.... flag

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Jarhead Rick
I gotta weigh in on this one, guys. I'm from Nebraska and I got on this site to leave a scathing review for an outfitter in Texas that ripped me off. But, I ran across this thread by accident and I have had a great laugh. I gotta say that I like the style of you Texas people. You say what's on your mind and have a good sense of humor about everything. There is nothing wrong with being proud of ones home state. The world is getting too PC these days and it's refreshing to find people who will tell it like it is.... flag

We dont take bad rip off out fitters lightly pm me the details!

And welcom hope you stay awhile! !!

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/20/13 08:55 PM

Welcome Jarhead Rick. I agree with BoBo, when someone gets ripped off, others should know the details so someone else doesn't suffer the same fate. Enjoy!
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/21/13 01:45 AM

No different than yankees coming here telling us how to run our state! roflmao Maybe you just ran into the wrong hunters? I like how people move to Texas and tell us how we are hunting wrong....(not directed at the OP)
This is the type of attitude that gives Texans a bad name in many of these hunting rich states.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/21/13 03:43 AM

hoof and wings, I don't think Texans have a monopoly on being obnoxious at all nor does any of the posts I've read. They recognize that many states consider us obnoxious regardless of how we act because they have had many of the obnoxious ones there already and judge you according to what they have seen in the past. The people posting here have poked fun at themselves and gotten a bit of enjoyment out of the posts. Some of the posts even prove the fact that some Texans are just plain obnoxious and apparently proud of it.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/21/13 04:48 AM

I think some have a hard time grasping our hunting and ways we go about things. For a lot of us hunting is very personal because it reflects our individual ability as wildlife managers and most I know would go into any situation trying to make things better overall for a target species. You go somewhere else and make some suggestions you're just some obnoxious out of stater who wants to screw up the draw somehow.
Posted By: Seadog

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/21/13 05:32 AM

I believe you will find obnoxious hunters everywhere!!! Does this old adage ring a bell - "squeaky wheel gets the grease"!!! Only the few hunters that are obnoxious get noticed and the thousands of others don't get noticed at all!!!

oh and welcome to the forum Jarhead Rick!!!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/21/13 02:24 PM

Most of the obnoxious hunters are guys under 6' tall that shoot magnums peep, the rest of us are just down right friendly folks no matter where we live grin

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/21/13 04:24 PM

Nahhhh...those over 6' peashootin buttshooters are the real obnoxious ones.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/21/13 04:47 PM

We always referred to that as the "little man syndrome". I know rifleman is in an area that is in the forefront of producing dandies. Probably because there are so many people in that area to begin with. I'm blessed with being able to go out every night and spotlight for skunks, then chase them in the 4x4 and open up on them with the shotgun. Mounted a laser on the front of the Mossberg just so I could shoot at them while still driving.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/21/13 04:55 PM

Luckily we don't have many skunks, but there's a ton of farmadillos down in the riverbottom. I quit shooting at them though bc you can kill them with a 4 wheeler tire

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/21/13 11:29 PM

That sounds like a new sport I'd be interested in!

Luckily we don't have many skunks, but there's a ton of farmadillos down in the riverbottom. I quit shooting at them though bc you can kill them with a 4 wheeler tire

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/21/13 11:30 PM

Welcome to the great state Jarhead Rick.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/22/13 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

if you've never played armadillo polo w/ a machete you just don't know what you're missing.
Posted By: cibolo

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/22/13 02:08 AM

armadillos can provide for a lot of entertainment and in my opinion no one can hunt them better than Texans. My catahoula loves them and will chase one down and thrash it every chance she gets, and she not caught leprosy yet. I will have to try dillo pollo though.

I've hunted with people from all over and you have your good one's and your bad ones. I just hunted with a guy from Wisconsin who was fun to hunt with. His hunting partner was more fun to watch run into cattle trap gates when he made a wrong turn into camp.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/22/13 02:33 AM

I enjoy hunting with Utah folks with a good sense of humor.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/22/13 02:41 AM

Most of us Iowegians are pretty laid back and so are most of the Texans i've hunted with. Now those people on the east coast are a whole different bunch. Stuck up is an understatement!!! Just my opinion!!

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/22/13 04:38 AM

The west coast Cali area produces more than its share of dandies; at least the ones I've been around when hunting. Many of them have the opinion that all the rest of the states should follow their lead in green energy and making hunting/shooting a safer sport by putting strict limits on military styles, etc. My son had a Cali kid as bunkmate when he was stationed at Galveston with the USCG and that kid was about as obnoxious as they come. Pants around the knees, little wormy pick-up that was about 2 inches off the ground, sterio system that took up 3/4 of the inside of the pick-up; and the list goes on and on. They don't even talk like we do.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/22/13 01:11 PM

if you've never played armadillo polo w/ a machete you just don't know what you're missing.

happy3 lol35 If I had been drinking when I read that I would have had it coming out my nose.
Posted By: Jarhead Rick

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/22/13 01:59 PM

I will have to try that Polo game next time I come there hunting. That is, unless Congress bans or limits the size of the machette between now and then.....

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/22/13 03:54 PM

When we were kids we would sneak up on the dillos and kick them like a football and then try to catch them before they could re-gain what senses they started out with. I still sneak up on them here on the place at night and can usually get within kicking distance before they head out.

Re: Are Texas Hunters Obnoxious? - 03/22/13 03:55 PM

I will have to try that Polo game next time I come there hunting. That is, unless Congress bans or limits the size of the machette between now and then.....

they'll likely ban 4wheelers before then, or cause you to put enough cornoil through them they no longer run.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum