Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: Ramball36] #4113947 03/11/13 01:11 PM
donswin Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
I had hoped the subject of the light would die down and focus turned to the deer video and irony of sitting in a blind 8 hours only to see a herd of hogs on the county road back to camp.

I will be the first to admit that I was taken aback at the suggestion that I had done something wrong. After researching the issue (short of paying a patent attorney), I did find that modification of a patented device was acceptable with the permission of the patent holder.

To alleviate my concerns, I wrote Mr. Beam. Here is my email and their reply which eased my conscience a little.

I do wish the best of success to all outdoor product suppliers - particularly those in Texas. I support their products and their service to the hunting community.

My Emai:
Mr. Beams,

I purchased one of your motion sensing lights (MB360) to use for lighting an area while hunting.

I taped a piece of green transparent plastic over the light area to soften the glare.

Someone with a similar commercial design has challenged my right to do this because he claims he has a patent on the idea.

I assume you have proper patents on the light I purchased.

May I have your permission to attach a piece of transparent colored plastic over the lens of the light you produced?

I am not producing these for resale. I only have one for personal use but like it so well I may buy two or three more for their lighting features.

Thank you,

Their Reply:
Mr. xxxxxxxx,

Received your email. You have our permission to modify our lights in any way that make it more effective for what you need it to do. This includes placing a piece of green transparent plastic over the lens.

I hope this helps - please send us photos of your hunting success or the story of how your light helps you hunt more effectively.

Sincerely,
David Levine

--
David Levine
President
Wireless Environment, LLC

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: donswin] #4114003 03/11/13 01:43 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Still haven't heard what the H17 patent is actually for, LOL.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: donswin] #4114195 03/11/13 03:01 PM
P
preston629 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: donswin
I had hoped the subject of the light would die down and focus turned to the deer video and irony of sitting in a blind 8 hours only to see a herd of hogs on the county road back to camp.

I will be the first to admit that I was taken aback at the suggestion that I had done something wrong. After researching the issue (short of paying a patent attorney), I did find that modification of a patented device was acceptable with the permission of the patent holder.

To alleviate my concerns, I wrote Mr. Beam. Here is my email and their reply which eased my conscience a little.

I do wish the best of success to all outdoor product suppliers - particularly those in Texas. I support their products and their service to the hunting community.

My Emai:
Mr. Beams,

I purchased one of your motion sensing lights (MB360) to use for lighting an area while hunting.

I taped a piece of green transparent plastic over the light area to soften the glare.

Someone with a similar commercial design has challenged my right to do this because he claims he has a patent on the idea.

May I have your permission to attach a piece of transparent colored plastic over the lens of the light you produced?

I am not producing these for resale. I only have one for personal use but like it so well I may buy two or three more for their lighting features.

Thank you,

Their Reply:
Mr. xxxxxxxx,

Received your email. You have our permission to modify our lights in any way that make it more effective for what you need it to do. This includes placing a piece of green transparent plastic over the lens.

I hope this helps - please send us photos of your hunting success or the story of how your light helps you hunt more effectively.

Sincerely,
David Levine

--
David Levine
President

that is awesome. happy3

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: dfwroadkill] #4114272 03/11/13 03:43 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
Originally Posted By: passthru

You must not have any coons. They would chew that wiring to pieces at my place. frown

Like to kill them regular.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: preston629] #4115489 03/12/13 01:41 AM
M
mikey1313 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: preston629

thats one way to legally do it.

My Emai:
Mr. Beams,

Thank you,

Their Reply:
Mr. xxxxxxxx,

Sincerely,
David Levine

--
David Levine
President

that is awesome. happy3

Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back everything is different.

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: Ramball36] #4115848 03/12/13 03:47 AM
MRCHIRO Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Hey Don, great job! Was I the one asking if you had extra space in your stand/lease to hunt with? I made a new green light - come pick it up and lmk how the darn thing works out if you want.

Thank's for letting me know! No worries on the attorney. I stopped reading after I read about the attorney-patent-law suit mumbo jumbo. It was boring me after all b/c I think those two guys just SH**** on your post. You can have two identical items looking identical but one item must be 10-20%(can't recall) different from the other in order to stay on the same market. Like big companies, they know they won't win yet still take the other company to court just to "drain" them at. Who has the deepest pockets is all that matters. Another two companies that wont get my business if need be.

Look at the two lights I made... There are two or three companies using the same product. Only difference is their logo name engraved on the flashlight tube. Serious? Try taking that to court. Cheers!

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: Terri's Great Outdoors] #4116685 03/12/13 04:35 PM
D
DocBailey Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Terri's Great Outdoors
LOL. thanks for posting that dragonov. i had already called and talked to patent attorney. he is having me save all these posts.
only going to let it go so far.we didnt spend that much money to give it away. you said it alot better than i would have. thats why i was waiting on saying anything until i talked to him.

You'll never get mine or any of my friends or family's business. Don't get on here and threaten people or "online bully" them, that's the worst business builder. Word of mouth is killer buddy.

As for the OP, I'm gonna try your idea instead of paying any money to these other guys who are throwing around weightless threats. Looks good Don.

Last edited by DocBailey; 03/12/13 06:36 PM.
Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: DocBailey] #4116811 03/12/13 05:38 PM
MRCHIRO Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I just now saw the video you posted, Don. Again, lets go hunt'n wink Cheers!

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: MRCHIRO] #4120034 03/14/13 01:00 AM
donswin Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Been in the blind with my grandson the past two evenings. Just saw a bunch of deer. Now we're waiting for some hogs.

We finally got data service here.!!!

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: donswin] #4143713 03/25/13 11:05 AM
M
MMTX Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Followed this post.

Bought three Mr. Beams.

Can't wait to use them.

Thanks for sharing

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: MMTX] #4144144 03/25/13 03:11 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Thanks for the idea Don! I bought 4 Dorcy's and mounted them on a box with a solar panel and 6 volt feeder battery. I can take them anywhere easily. I didn't put green anything on them because white has always worked fine for me.

Oh...and I enjoyed the video... up

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: dfwroadkill] #4144178 03/25/13 03:23 PM
MRCHIRO Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Thanks for the idea Don! I bought 4 Dorcy's and mounted them on a box with a solar panel and 6 volt feeder battery. I can take them anywhere easily. I didn't put green anything on them because white has always worked fine for me.

You sir, have one bad [censored] setup!!! Pics of the innerds and schematics please!!!

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: MRCHIRO] #4144222 03/25/13 03:43 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I don't have the boxes here. The 6 volt feeder battery (10 bucks at Academy) sets in the box ($6.47 at Lowes). The solar panel and light connect to the feeder battery (no batteries in light). The wires from the battery to the light are soldered to the appropriate connections in the light housing. The Dorcy came with a base which is removable. Wrap the remaining stub with electrical tape, then drill a hole in the box and jam it in there. I drilled a small hole from behind and through the light stub to secure it to the box. Pretty simple.

PM me if that is too confusing and I'll get some better pictures when I get around one of them again and send them.

That should keep them working for awhile and I don't have to worry about batteries.

Last edited by dfwroadkill; 03/25/13 03:44 PM.
Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: MRCHIRO] #4144225 03/25/13 03:44 PM
donswin Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: MRCHIRO

You sir, have one bad [censored] setup!!! Pics of the innerds and schematics please!!!

Another vote for a pic of the innards. The connections should be easy but you did such a good job on the outside we'd like to see how you tidied up the wires.

That setup would go much longer between battery changes and the electrical box is a great idea for mounting.

Coons knocked mine off the tree (it was only held by the two screws and keyholes in the back). I reattached it & used a bungee cord for reinforcement. I think, with your permission, I'll run to Home Depot's electrical department.

Thanks for the comment on the deer. I saw them again the next time I was out, but they didn't come to the pond. Instead they chased each other back & forth in the woods. About 10 laps before heading off with the older ones.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: donswin] #4144437 03/25/13 04:49 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I think, with your permission, I'll run to Home Depot's electrical department.

up rofl Have at it... grin

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: dfwroadkill] #4144646 03/25/13 06:01 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I mounted mine on 8 foot t-posts, but they can be removed and carried anywhere easily.

Last edited by dfwroadkill; 03/25/13 06:01 PM.
Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: dfwroadkill] #4144876 03/25/13 07:29 PM
MRCHIRO Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
How heavy is this beast?

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: MRCHIRO] #4144937 03/25/13 07:54 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I don't know, didn't weigh it. I'd bet 5 or so pounds. It's not as heavy as it looks.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: dfwroadkill] #4144965 03/25/13 08:05 PM
donswin Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
I just got back from Lowe's and I'm $7 poorer for the experience. I ordered another light & have a spare solar panel and feeder battery in my truck.

Thanks for the nudge to Lowe's. Home Depot didn't have anything near that price that didn't screw together.

The beauty of that box is it's about the size of a game camera. With my Primos camera mount, ot will be able to be put just about anywhere and pointed where I want.

If the entire thing, battery and all, weighed 5 pounds, I'd be surprised. It feels much lighter & the battery is the heaviest piece.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: Terri's Great Outdoors] #4145088 03/25/13 08:58 PM
M
miket1 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
LOL. thanks for posting that dragonov. i had already called and talked to patent attorney. he is having me save all these posts.
only going to let it go so far.we didnt spend that much money to give it away. you said it alot better than i would have. thats why i was waiting on saying anything until i talked to him.

The patent is pending and has not yet been issued. It MAY not EVER be issued. Until it is issued you have no ground to stand on. Granted, you may be able to sue retroactively once the patent is issued but unless the product was sold you will be chasing your tail and throwing dollars at your lawyers and getting pennies ,if anything, in return.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: donswin] #4146605 03/26/13 01:57 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I just got back from Lowe's and I'm $7 poorer for the experience. I ordered another light & have a spare solar panel and feeder battery in my truck.

Thanks for the nudge to Lowe's. Home Depot didn't have anything near that price that didn't screw together.

The beauty of that box is it's about the size of a game camera. With my Primos camera mount, ot will be able to be put just about anywhere and pointed where I want.

If the entire thing, battery and all, weighed 5 pounds, I'd be surprised. It feels much lighter & the battery is the heaviest piece.

Good deal! I'm glad it worked out for you. Now go get us some more vids.. up

My parts to rig up a sensor system so you can sleep while you wait on the piggies to come should arrive today. I'm gettin' old. I can't stay up all night waiting on them, but if I can doze off and be notified they are there I'm good to go... ;-)

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: miket1] #4146920 03/26/13 03:50 PM
D
DocBailey Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: miket1

The patent is pending and has not yet been issued. It MAY not EVER be issued. Until it is issued you have no ground to stand on. Granted, you may be able to sue retroactively once the patent is issued but unless the product was sold you will be chasing your tail and throwing dollars at your lawyers and getting pennies ,if anything, in return.

up

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide