Texas Hunting Forum

Feeder Light & Hog Hunt

Posted By: donswin

Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/05/13 06:22 PM

I have used a Hog Kill Light with remote but haven't had any hogs come to the feeder while I was watching. Then I read a positive review of a motion sensing hog light like this: < cllick here >.

I called the folks at Elusive Wildlife but they have no motion sensor for my Hog Kill Light. I wanted something the hogs could get used to & no only light up when I was there.

I didn't want to spend much so I found this light: < click here > on Amazon for less than $20. I went to the hardware store and bought a piece of green plastic in the window film department and covered the lens (not the motion sensor).

Two weeks ago, I hooked it to a tree by my feeder. Here's a pic of some undisturbed hogs eating corn:

This past weekend, I took a buddy hunting. This was going to be the first time hunting since I installed the light.

We were sitting in the blind about 75 yards from the feeder in pitch dark. About 7:45 PM, the light came on and a bunch of pigs came snorting into the feeder area. The light didn't phase them.

We lowered our rifles and could see well enough without supplemental lighting to clearly see everything in the feeder area. But we had lights mounted on our rifles & had to see how they worked. We both turned our lights on and the hogs kept eating.

I was so excited that the motion light worked and that I could see so clearly that I didn't pick out a hog to shoot. I was busy looking at how much area the light covered and counting hogs when my buddy let one fly.

We went to the feeder and couldn't find a drop of blood. I looked through his 30-06 scope and saw that he still had his front sight mounted and the white dot reflected the light back into the scope.

We concluded that he shot at the shadow instead of the hog.

Here is the hog he was shooting at.

I told him that hog would be easy to identify in the future. It will be the only one on the lease running around without a shadow.

The next night we tried again. We sat in the blind from 4 PM until Midnight but the only thing lighting up the area was a opossum. The wind was blowing constantly and gusting up to 30 mph. We did see a herd of deer come to the pond. The adult does stood on the levee while about 8 yearlings splashed in the water and played tag. It was like two soccer mom's dropping the kids off at the pool. I'll post that video as soon as I get a decent video editing program.

On our drive back to camp, we saw two young deer running along the gravel road in front of us. I drove slow & we just watched them. As we approached a turn we had to slow down so a string of hogs could cross in front of us. We lost count at 20. Dang those laws saying you can't shoot hogs from the car. I could feel my Glock struggling to get out of the holster.

Even though we went home without a pig, it was a very eventful weekend.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/05/13 06:49 PM

If you are just driving across your pasture you can get out and shoot them.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/05/13 08:34 PM

Unfortunately, we were on gravel county roads. If we had been on my lease property, we'd have jumped out and fired away.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/05/13 09:59 PM

Great minds and all that ...
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...ght#Post3751668
Posted By: gator1332

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/06/13 03:07 AM

Never hunted hogs at night. looks and sounds fun.
Posted By: GarayOutdoors

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/06/13 06:05 AM

I've got the same light! I love it! Just wish there was a way of mounting a solar panel to it.
Posted By: 12ring

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/06/13 06:45 AM

How long does the light stay on when motion activated ? And how long do batteries last and what batteries ?

I recently put WGI Moonlights on 2 diff feeders. Less than a week and both deer and pigs are already comfortable w them. Use 6V rechargable and have solar option. Can be set to come on at dusk and run for 2, 4, or 6 hrs constant. I set mine on motion detect mode and stays on 20 secs (or 20 secs after last motion is detected). Battery supposed to last apprx 100 days wo solar help. I plan on keeping extra batt hot and changing as needed. Been out near two wks and still going strong.

Light and battery was $63 out the door, @ Academy.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/06/13 11:39 AM

Quote:
How long does the light stay on when motion activated ? And how long do batteries last and what batteries ?

The light stays on for about 30 seconds. The batteries last a fair amount of time. I have units on trails in the woods that have been in place for over 6 months that still work on their first set. On one feeder, I had to change the batteries at 4 months. On the other feeder, it was 3 or 4 weeks later. So it definitely depends on traffic.

I like mine because I can use them in the woods where I don't get sunshine.
Posted By: TexasOutfitters

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/06/13 02:52 PM

There is a green motion sensor light, marketed as the Hoginator17, which is mounted on a post, can be placed in the ground anywhere. Stays on 30 sec, batts last for months, lights up 300sf area.

Here's a feature video about it and can be purchased here:
https://www.greatlifesports.com/

They now have a red light version also.

I'll be hunting with the green light version spring break in east tx.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/06/13 03:34 PM

Right, the Hoginator is basically a Mr Beams light with either transparency film (like I used) or a tinted lens and stuck on a pole.

You could use 5 cents of transparency on a $5 t-post and a quarter's worth of wire along with a $20 Mr Beams and have virtually the same product. If you have to buy the whole $6 package of transparencies, pay for tax and shipping and such, you might be out $35 for the first one, but then have transparency material to do a dozen more lights.

The Hoginator is fine, but making virtually the same product yourself will save you enough to make two and have a decent lunch.
Posted By: TexasOutfitters

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/06/13 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

The Hoginator is fine, but making virtually the same product yourself will save you enough to make two and have a decent lunch.

That's partially true.

The $35 solution doesn't get it mounted on a pole for you that's easy to move from location to location.

You can throw it in the truck and use in different places which is what I do. And it's easy to move around at a feeder if necessary.

In the end, most hog lights can be built from home in some sense but the guy who makes the Hoginator is running a small business in Texas and I like to support those guys.
Posted By: Dragonuv

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/06/13 04:49 PM

Gentlemen, at the risk of sounding like an a-hole, this needs to be said for your own protection....

I am not trying to speak for, or put words in the mouth of, Terrys Great Outdoors, but it should be unequivocally stated that the The Hoginator17 is a patented product. Replicating it in any way, shape or form could lead to a massive lawsuit, one which could cause you to lose everything. If his patent attorney is like mine, I'd hate to be on the wrong end of a copyright infringement subpoena. Simply adding a green film to mimic a Hoginator17 could land you in a LOT of hot water. If you want to make a green light, make sure it is markedly different in design and function, otherwise you are leaving yourself open for a lawsuit that you can't win. Even if you make just one for your personal use, it is a violation.

I know that if anyone unknowingly reproduced any of my patented designs/utilities, even vaguely, they'd get a cease & desist warning. If it continued, I'd let my patent attorney have a field day with them. Depending on the circumstance, and this forum is one of those circumstances, a cease & desist letter may not be given. Typically a C&D letter will be given to someone who does not know they are reproducing a patented item. In this case, no one here can claim they didn't know the Hoginator17 existed.

I/we have 3 new models of hi-power hi-performance feeder/large-area lights getting ready to debut in a few weeks that will blow everything else on the market completely away.
As a designer and R&D'er, I can tell you that there is a lot of sweat, time, and a boatload of cash involved in bringing a product to fruition. It's cost me over 2 yrs and almost $50k to get them to the point that they are ready for mass production. I know Terry's Great Outdoors has a lot of time and money invested as well in the Hoginator17 and they would hate to have all their hard work negated by someone copying their product.

Just thought it would only be fair to bring this up since, as far as I know, it hasn't been mentioned before.

Posted By: 12ring

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/06/13 05:57 PM

I'm definitely gonna check into those.
The WGI has 3 "snake light" type lights you can point in diff directions and come w clear, red, blue, and green lenses. I leave the colored lenses off cause they are not as bright as the clear.

My feeder here at the house is 142 yds from patio door and I could make the shot w just a scope. No extra light needed. I can see it come on from my computer desk, lol. Just haven't caught a pig at it while I'm watching. frown

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/06/13 06:49 PM

The WGI lights are hit and miss when it comes to their sensor. They sometimes come on for no reason, and often do not come on at all when activity is right in front of it. It was just a poor design to start with. The sensor is in a bad place. Its been their Achilles Heel since they've been on the market. Making it to aim straight down through three lights was not a very smart idea. You'll get your $50 worth out of it, but I wouldn't expect anything more.
Our new lights have the sensor on the front so you get maximum range with no light fixtures, or other blockage, getting in its way, as all 4 of our flexible light arms are on the sides. I'm just using ours as an example, as it isn't fair to WGI to compare them. It would be like comparing a biplane to an F-22, or a Bic lighter to a flame thrower. They are two different animals that happen to share the same goal.
Posted By: Terri's Great Outdoors

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/06/13 08:00 PM

LOL. thanks for posting that dragonov. i had already called and talked to patent attorney. he is having me save all these posts.
only going to let it go so far.we didnt spend that much money to give it away. you said it alot better than i would have. thats why i was waiting on saying anything until i talked to him.
Posted By: preston629

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/07/13 12:14 AM

How can he get in trouble for building something himself? Doesnt seem like hes mass producing and selling?

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/07/13 01:36 AM

Here is an excerpt from the USPTO regarding patent infringement:

"Infringement of a patent consists of the unauthorized making, using, offering for sale, or selling any patented invention within the United States or U.S. Territories, or importing into the United States of any patented invention during the term of the patent. If a patent is infringed, the patentee may sue for relief in the appropriate federal court."

Most people never give it a thought, but you have to look at it from a business perspective. If you came up with an idea, spent hundreds of hours on research and design, spent all of your money to invest in attorneys, production, packaging, marketing, and shipping...would you want anyone to make something like yours and take money out of your pocket? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't. I know I don't.

That's not to say you guys can't make one of your own design, you just can't make one of someone else's design.

Terry's Great Outdoors came up with a great product, and in addition to being illegal, it just wouldn't be fair to TGO to copy their product. They are normal folks like you and me, and don't deserve to have their hard work copied and consequently, money taken out of their pocket. Also, they started out as members of the Texas Hunting Forum, and we should be supporting them. They were inspired by folks like us to come up with something that a lot of people have found satisfaction with. They filled a niche that needed filled, and should be commended on their hard work and perseverance. That's the American dream, lets not screw them out of it.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/07/13 02:06 AM

He didnt make anything. he bought a light and stuck it to a tree.

So yall gonna sue him for putting green tape on a motion light he bought off amazon and strapped to a tree?

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/07/13 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: preston629
So yall gonna sue him for putting green tape on a motion light he bought off amazon and strapped to a tree?

You'll have to ask their attorney that question.

For all we know, TGO could have licensed that design to another manufacturer, or even several other manufacturers.

My intention wasn't to start a debate, I just wanted to give you guys a heads up on the laws concerning these things so none of you would get in trouble. I figured that was the considerate thing to do. If you have any issues with the federal regulations concerning such things, you'll have to take it up with the United States Patent And Trademark Office.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/07/13 03:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Dragonuv

Gentlemen, at the risk of sounding like an a-hole, this needs to be said for your own protection....

I am not trying to speak for, or put words in the mouth of, Terrys Great Outdoors, but it should be unequivocally stated that the The Hoginator17 is a patented product. Replicating it in any way, shape or form could lead to a massive lawsuit, one which could cause you to lose everything. If his patent attorney is like mine, I'd hate to be on the wrong end of a copyright infringement subpoena. Simply adding a green film to mimic a Hoginator17 could land you in a LOT of hot water. If you want to make a green light, make sure it is markedly different in design and function, otherwise you are leaving yourself open for a lawsuit that you can't win. Even if you make just one for your personal use, it is a violation.

I know that if anyone unknowingly reproduced any of my patented designs/utilities, even vaguely, they'd get a cease & desist warning. If it continued, I'd let my patent attorney have a field day with them. Depending on the circumstance, and this forum is one of those circumstances, a cease & desist letter may not be given. Typically a C&D letter will be given to someone who does not know they are reproducing a patented item. In this case, no one here can claim they didn't know the Hoginator17 existed.

I/we have 3 new models of hi-power hi-performance feeder/large-area lights getting ready to debut in a few weeks that will blow everything else on the market completely away.
As a designer and R&D'er, I can tell you that there is a lot of sweat, time, and a boatload of cash involved in bringing a product to fruition. It's cost me over 2 yrs and almost $50k to get them to the point that they are ready for mass production. I know Terry's Great Outdoors has a lot of time and money invested as well in the Hoginator17 and they would hate to have all their hard work negated by someone copying their product.

Just thought it would only be fair to bring this up since, as far as I know, it hasn't been mentioned before.

you are right you sound like an a hole. What exactly is the patent. I do not quiver at attorney threats . It is a two way street . Just how much do you want to spend. Either way terry will not get my business

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/07/13 03:58 AM

They both just lost a bunch of business threatening the op with a lawsuit.

Buncha keyboard lawyers
Posted By: HBone

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/07/13 04:10 AM

I'll never buy one, good luck bulling someone else. Home Depot better watch out for selling those lights....

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/07/13 04:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Ramsey

you are right you sound like an a hole. What exactly is the patent. I do not quiver at attorney threats . It is a two way street . Just how much do you want to spend. Either way terry will not get my business

I didn't make the laws, I'm just telling you what they are, if I am an a-hole for trying to help you guys, then I can live with that. I don't really see why you guys are getting bent out of shape over it. No one is threatening anyone. It's an FYI post, not an "or else" post.
Posted By: HBone

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/07/13 05:03 AM

Yes y'all did threaten him with the above post stating that his attorney told him to save this post. Why would you say that? Y'all are being ridiculous again, I will never do business with people like you.
Posted By: curt o

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/07/13 05:27 AM

Arrogance abounds.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/07/13 05:43 AM

I mentioned the Hoginator because it looked exactly like the Beam, only with mods. Was Beam's copyright infringed? If I had purchased the Hoginator, I would have removed the stake and attached it to a tree. Would that modification have been a violation of Beam's patent? Geez.

I also have a Hog Kill Light. They got my first call looking for a motion sensor attachment. They didn't have one so I moved on.

I used the Beam light base and mounted it to a tree using the supplied screws. My only mod was to change the color of the light. I suspect (hope) the Hoginator uses green leds. I prefer green lights for hunting so I put a piece of green film on the front and adhered it with electrician's tape.

I have only one & it isn't for sale. However, I promise never to mention the H*g*!or again when showing pictures of my feeder and hog...er....pig (is "hog" patented too?) light.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/07/13 08:17 AM

I don't know where you came up with "y'all", I have no connection to TGO. If you have issues with something they posted, then you'll just have to take that up with them...preferably in a private message.
I was just simply reading the thread and noticed it turned to the Hoginator, then it went to modifying a similar light to be just like it; and since I have dealt with patent laws for a few years, I thought I would be doing you guys a favor by letting you know exactly what the laws are regarding what was proposed, apparently I was mistaken and you'd rather be kept in the dark. Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but it used to be that any reasonable person would appreciate being made aware of something that could possibly cause them headaches in the future. If you'd rather get hit by the train instead of having someone tell you it's coming, that is your prerogative.

As far as what I wrote, nothing in there was factually inaccurate. Whether anyone likes it or not, and whether it sucks or not, is irrelevant. It's federal law and no matter how much we blubber and whine about it, it's not going to change. Do any of you guys really think that Winchester, FoxPro, Magpul, or any other manufacturer would sit idly by while you openly discussed on a public forum, that they were members of, how you were going to try to copy their patented products? Of course not, so why are you holding a grudge against TGO for doing it? I can guarantee you that if they wanted to be buttholes about it, they would have foregone posting anything at all and gone straight for your IP addresses so they could serve you...because that's what would typically happen. And it doesn't matter how big of an Internet tuff guy you think you are, because when you're in court you're just a defendant. I know its hard for some to understand, but if/when the day comes that you invent and/or copyright something, you will come to appreciate intellectual property rights as well.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/07/13 12:31 PM

Quote:
I mentioned the Hoginator because it looked exactly like the Beam, only with mods. Was Beam's copyright infringed?

There isn't any law, that I know of, that says you can't buy a product, modify it, and resell it. My guess is that the Hoginator gets the lights from the same source as Mr Beams or Dorcy (who markets the exact same light).
http://www.amazon.com/Dorcy-41-1071-Wire...beams+spotlight

As for the patent nonsense noted above, just what is the exact patent? The hoginator's description is that there is a patent pending. Since the Mr Beams and Dorcy lights are made to be mounted on an object for shining, I have a lot of trouble believing that mounting on a t-post is going to violate any sort of patent. What a silly threat.
http://www.hoginator17.com/products/

Last I checked, you can't patent somebody else's product, LOL.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/07/13 01:53 PM

No one is threatening anyone.

Originally Posted By: Terri's Great Outdoors
i had already called and talked to patent attorney. he is having me save all these posts.
only going to let it go so far. we didnt spend that much money to give it away. you said it alot better than i would have. thats why i was waiting on saying anything until i talked to him.

kinda sounds like a threat dontcha think?
Posted By: Never missed

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/07/13 03:32 PM

I'm pretty sure if u replicate it for ur self that's not illegal. If u sell them that's a different story. Duh

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/07/13 03:57 PM

Frankly, I thought the part about seeing young deer playing in the pond and having a herd of hogs crossing the road after an unsuccessful night were the more interesting parts of my post.

I did not intend to malign a product that I stated was very well reviewed. It appears to be a great product that will appeal to those wanting something ready to go right out of the box. I'm sure it will be shining green long after my tape has weathered and blown away.

We hunters are a creative sort by nature. We are always trying to make a better hog trap or deer blind. Most of our ideas are triggered by what others have done.

I apologize for linking to the product mentioned. I was not putting it down but comparing options.

For instance, the Mr. Beams says it has a spot light while the Dorcy says it is a flood. I did buy some Dorcy's to light the entry to my hunting trailer. I intend to use them "as is" without modifications....well, I may use zip ties to hold them to my awning bar.

To me, the perfect hog light would be both motion sensing and solar powered with interchangeable LED's. but I'll leave that to the more avid hog light developers if it hasn't already been done.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/07/13 05:00 PM

Quote:
LOL. thanks for posting that dragonov. i had already called and talked to patent attorney. he is having me save all these posts.
only going to let it go so far.we didnt spend that much money to give it away. you said it alot better than i would have. thats why i was waiting on saying anything until i talked to him.

So what exactly is your patent for? You can't patent a color change on somebody else's product. You can't patent a light that you don't own the design to. You can't patent a stick. Colored lights on sticks, stands, and feeders have been in use and production for years and so you are not patenting that. Dorcy and Mr Beams lights are designed to be mounted on other surfaces. So...?

I do see where you changed or original design where you took a Mr Beams-type light, complete with the original mount, and mounted it to a stick, but now that has changed and you have dropped the original mount. So my guess is that you are attempting to patent the new mount because that is about all that is different. It is also all that is unique to your design that hasn't previously been in the public domain or owned by others..

So tell us, exactly what is your pending patent for specifically? A filing date and number would be nice as well.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/07/13 05:55 PM

I bought 4 $10 lights at wally world and mounted them on the cheap $5 posts from home depot with hose clamps. Ended up putting only two on a feeder and at $90 yards I can shoot a rabbit at night with just my cheap azz NC Star scope on my AR. The other two I mounted to the camera stand I made, no patent so you can copy if you like, and they did the same thing for me. I've got the camera stand here so I took a pic.

Dragonuv is developing a nice product to be sure but a normal white light you buy at home depot and a little enginuity and will produce a working product if you can't justify spending a couple hundred bucks on a commercial one. The stand was two $5 cheapo garden "t" posts, a chunk of treated 2x6 and some lag screws. A piece on aluminum I bent and screwed on for a mounting place for a 6v battery and a solar panel allows the camera to work for as long as the battery stays good, the SD card isn't full and I leave it there. The lights, well those are the $10 wally world specials so, we'll see. One word of advice. Mount the lights higher for better light on the ground.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/07/13 06:00 PM

Oh, for you "my patent lawyer" guys, I'm sure I've seen similar products like you produce. The "kill light" looks just like a tent light I bought for $10 at wally world with very few modifications. Very few products aren't built on the shoulders of those that came before it. A few modifications for a needed application and a new product hits the market. So pay your lawyer. I know from experience those suites are very hard to win. And if you do find a liberal enough judge to win one, very difficult to collect on. Because too many of the ones sued don't have anything in the first place.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/07/13 10:51 PM

For the record I am sure there are many like me on the forum. If I want legal advise I will go to my attorney. I am not a little boy that cowers at a letter from a attorney. Unless you are willing to go all the way with litigation - do not threaten me. I question your product development and marketing strategy.
Posted By: kjustice

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/08/13 12:01 PM

I think Thomas Edison should get the credit and move on. Anything beyond that is foolish to say that was my idea.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/08/13 01:44 PM

A patent isn't foolish in and of itself, though it can be excessively expensive (which may be foolish for a very inexpensive low volume item, patents easily running a minimum of $5K). Patents have of specific criteria...

Quote:
Federal law dictates eligibility for patents, and to receive one, ideas must meet four requirements: the invention must have utility; it must be novel; it must not have been obvious to a person having ordinary skill in the art at the time the invention was made, and it must be thoroughly explained and documented so that someone else would be able to make it.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/12/smbusiness/patent_website.fsb/index.htm

As a unit, the Hoginator 17 does have utility, isn't novel (lots of other similar products out there), is obvious (lots of other similar products already out there), and until we see the pending patent, we don't know what is being patented.

Also note...
http://goldsteinpatentlaw.com/educationc...nd-non-obvious/

So obviously, the entire unit isn't patented, but some aspect of it, but it will have to meet the 4 criteria and as I noted above, the only thing potentially unique is the mount.

As for Terri's assertion...
Quote:
we didnt spend that much money to give it away.

...that is exactly what you do with the information in the patent. Patents involve full public disclosure (with some rare national security exceptions).

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/08/13 03:09 PM

A patent isn't foolish in and of itself, though it can be excessively expensive (which may be foolish for a very inexpensive low volume item, patents easily running a minimum of $5K). Patents have of specific criteria...

Quote:
Federal law dictates eligibility for patents, and to receive one, ideas must meet four requirements: the invention must have utility; it must be novel; it must not have been obvious to a person having ordinary skill in the art at the time the invention was made, and it must be thoroughly explained and documented so that someone else would be able to make it.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/12/smbusiness/patent_website.fsb/index.htm

As a unit, the Hoginator 17 does have utility, isn't novel (lots of other similar products out there), is obvious (lots of other similar products already out there), and until we see the pending patent, we don't know what is being patented.

Also note...
http://goldsteinpatentlaw.com/educationc...nd-non-obvious/

So obviously, the entire unit isn't patented, but some aspect of it, but it will have to meet the 4 criteria and as I noted above, the only thing potentially unique is the mount.

As for Terri's assertion...
Quote:
we didnt spend that much money to give it away.

...that is exactly what you do with the information in the patent. Patents involve full public disclosure (with some rare national security exceptions).

All of this is factually 100% true. I hate this post went south
as it got away from the point the writer was making and that was his great weekend. As far as the folks with patent pending - my two cents is simple do not threaten me with legal language or lecture me on how much you business cost to start up. Sell your product and tell me how good it is. I have bought a car, 5 guns, 3 hogligts, 1 kill light, 3 feeders and no telling what else from this forum.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/08/13 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: 12ring
And how long do batteries last and what batteries ?

This is something that gets asked a lot about battery powered products. The answer is that it varies depending on batteries. In this instance the prouct uses 3, D sized batteries. If you price shop what you will most likely end up with is something on the order of a 2500 mAh battery at a nominal price. If, on the other hand, you choose to desire a longer life battery and are wiling to spend more, you can get something on the order of an 11,000 mAh battery. The net is that if you spend more you get more juice (most of the time). Rechargables bring a whole host of additional decisions.

Originally Posted By: Danger Ranger
I've got the same light! I love it! Just wish there was a way of mounting a solar panel to it.

I'm betting you could. I don't have one of the lights, but have ordered some and they will be here in the next few days. If the batteries are connected in series, which I believe is a high probability, then the light is running on 4.5 volts. I am pretty certain it won't hurt anything to run it off of a 6 volt feeder battery with a 6 volt solar panel. I'll try it as soon as I get them in.

Now....this is just something I'm gonna try. Please, nobody sue me for modifying the light I bought. My thought of patenting it is pending.. up

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/08/13 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru

You must not have any coons. They would chew that wiring to pieces at my place. frown

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/08/13 07:36 PM

Well, I was surprised....the Dorcy light came in today. I know it looks like the Mr. Beam's and Hoginator, but it can't be because it is only 17 bucks and change (delivered if you have Prime) on Amazon . Anyway, being that it is my light now I decided to modify it and see if I could run it on a 6 volt rechargable feeder battery. Well, here you go:

Works perfect! up
Posted By: centexrancher

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/08/13 08:25 PM

I will look forward to not buying the soon to be released `patented` hog lights. What an arrogant crock of pig poop!
Posted By: GriffGruff78

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/08/13 09:09 PM

There is absolutely no way that you could find yourself embroiled in intellectual properties litigation by putting a piece of tape over the led module of a store-bought motion sensing light.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/08/13 11:53 PM

Quote:
Well, I was surprised....the Dorcy light came in today. I know it looks like the Mr. Beam's and Hoginator, but it can't be because it is only 17 bucks and change (delivered if you have Prime) on Amazon

Amazon Prime is great! We love it. With that said, if you check back regularly, you can find 3 Mr Beams for less than $50 on occasion.

I have had the Dorcy and Mr Beam open and side by side. I didn't see any difference between them. I have unscrewed both and installed colored transparency material under the lens and over the light and they look exactly the same.

I have not taken a H17 apart, but they have the same housing, LOL!!!

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/09/13 04:30 AM

Yep, love me some Amazon Prime....

I don't expect the light will last all that long, but I'm gonna give it a whirl. I'll prolly just put it out there white light and all. I have other white lights right now. Seems the animals are fine with it. They all come right on in. It's just what they get used to. I bet you can get one with a green LED off of one the Chinese websites...

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/09/13 05:20 AM

Lights aside, I finally got my deer video cleaned up and on YouTube

View it by clicking > HERE <.

I'll post this in the deer hunting section too. I've seen them play a little in the feeder area but these horsed around longer than I've ever seen.

Turn the volume down a bit at first. The wind was gusting.
Posted By: Sw0970

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/10/13 08:03 AM

Nice light
Posted By: mikey1313

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/10/13 09:46 PM

nice lights... but instead of film... at home depot by the solar yard lights they sell a 3 pack of colored glass, 1 green, 1 red, 1 blue. so with the 20 dollar solar yard light and 7 dollar glass a couple of zip ties and a few drops of super glue you have 3 lights at 67 bucks that are already solar
Posted By: TXDEERHUNTER10

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/11/13 01:50 AM

I guess every redneck should have a suit filed against them then...Redneck Inginuity at its greatest.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/11/13 12:47 PM

If your product can be infringed on so easily by a redneck with 20 bucks and some tape, then I would suggest you spend a little more money on your production.

Good idea don, I'm gonna have to break some patents myself soon!

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/11/13 01:11 PM

I had hoped the subject of the light would die down and focus turned to the deer video and irony of sitting in a blind 8 hours only to see a herd of hogs on the county road back to camp.

I will be the first to admit that I was taken aback at the suggestion that I had done something wrong. After researching the issue (short of paying a patent attorney), I did find that modification of a patented device was acceptable with the permission of the patent holder.

To alleviate my concerns, I wrote Mr. Beam. Here is my email and their reply which eased my conscience a little.

I do wish the best of success to all outdoor product suppliers - particularly those in Texas. I support their products and their service to the hunting community.

My Emai:
Mr. Beams,

I purchased one of your motion sensing lights (MB360) to use for lighting an area while hunting.

I taped a piece of green transparent plastic over the light area to soften the glare.

Someone with a similar commercial design has challenged my right to do this because he claims he has a patent on the idea.

I assume you have proper patents on the light I purchased.

May I have your permission to attach a piece of transparent colored plastic over the lens of the light you produced?

I am not producing these for resale. I only have one for personal use but like it so well I may buy two or three more for their lighting features.

Thank you,

Their Reply:
Mr. xxxxxxxx,

Received your email. You have our permission to modify our lights in any way that make it more effective for what you need it to do. This includes placing a piece of green transparent plastic over the lens.

I hope this helps - please send us photos of your hunting success or the story of how your light helps you hunt more effectively.

Sincerely,
David Levine

--
David Levine
President
Wireless Environment, LLC

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/11/13 01:43 PM

Still haven't heard what the H17 patent is actually for, LOL.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/11/13 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: donswin
I had hoped the subject of the light would die down and focus turned to the deer video and irony of sitting in a blind 8 hours only to see a herd of hogs on the county road back to camp.

I will be the first to admit that I was taken aback at the suggestion that I had done something wrong. After researching the issue (short of paying a patent attorney), I did find that modification of a patented device was acceptable with the permission of the patent holder.

To alleviate my concerns, I wrote Mr. Beam. Here is my email and their reply which eased my conscience a little.

I do wish the best of success to all outdoor product suppliers - particularly those in Texas. I support their products and their service to the hunting community.

My Emai:
Mr. Beams,

I purchased one of your motion sensing lights (MB360) to use for lighting an area while hunting.

I taped a piece of green transparent plastic over the light area to soften the glare.

Someone with a similar commercial design has challenged my right to do this because he claims he has a patent on the idea.

May I have your permission to attach a piece of transparent colored plastic over the lens of the light you produced?

I am not producing these for resale. I only have one for personal use but like it so well I may buy two or three more for their lighting features.

Thank you,

Their Reply:
Mr. xxxxxxxx,

Received your email. You have our permission to modify our lights in any way that make it more effective for what you need it to do. This includes placing a piece of green transparent plastic over the lens.

I hope this helps - please send us photos of your hunting success or the story of how your light helps you hunt more effectively.

Sincerely,
David Levine

--
David Levine
President

that is awesome. happy3

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/11/13 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
Originally Posted By: passthru

You must not have any coons. They would chew that wiring to pieces at my place. frown

Like to kill them regular.
Posted By: mikey1313

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/12/13 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: preston629

thats one way to legally do it.

My Emai:
Mr. Beams,

Thank you,

Their Reply:
Mr. xxxxxxxx,

Sincerely,
David Levine

--
David Levine
President

that is awesome. happy3
Posted By: MRCHIRO

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/12/13 03:47 AM

Hey Don, great job! Was I the one asking if you had extra space in your stand/lease to hunt with? I made a new green light - come pick it up and lmk how the darn thing works out if you want.

Thank's for letting me know! No worries on the attorney. I stopped reading after I read about the attorney-patent-law suit mumbo jumbo. It was boring me after all b/c I think those two guys just SH**** on your post. You can have two identical items looking identical but one item must be 10-20%(can't recall) different from the other in order to stay on the same market. Like big companies, they know they won't win yet still take the other company to court just to "drain" them at. Who has the deepest pockets is all that matters. Another two companies that wont get my business if need be.

Look at the two lights I made... There are two or three companies using the same product. Only difference is their logo name engraved on the flashlight tube. Serious? Try taking that to court. Cheers!
Posted By: DocBailey

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/12/13 04:35 PM

You'll never get mine or any of my friends or family's business. Don't get on here and threaten people or "online bully" them, that's the worst business builder. Word of mouth is killer buddy.

As for the OP, I'm gonna try your idea instead of paying any money to these other guys who are throwing around weightless threats. Looks good Don.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/12/13 05:38 PM

I just now saw the video you posted, Don. Again, lets go hunt'n wink Cheers!

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/14/13 01:00 AM

Been in the blind with my grandson the past two evenings. Just saw a bunch of deer. Now we're waiting for some hogs.

We finally got data service here.!!!
Posted By: MMTX

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/25/13 11:05 AM

Followed this post.

Bought three Mr. Beams.

Can't wait to use them.

Thanks for sharing

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/25/13 03:11 PM

Thanks for the idea Don! I bought 4 Dorcy's and mounted them on a box with a solar panel and 6 volt feeder battery. I can take them anywhere easily. I didn't put green anything on them because white has always worked fine for me.

Oh...and I enjoyed the video... up

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/25/13 03:23 PM

Thanks for the idea Don! I bought 4 Dorcy's and mounted them on a box with a solar panel and 6 volt feeder battery. I can take them anywhere easily. I didn't put green anything on them because white has always worked fine for me.

You sir, have one bad [censored] setup!!! Pics of the innerds and schematics please!!!

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/25/13 03:43 PM

I don't have the boxes here. The 6 volt feeder battery (10 bucks at Academy) sets in the box ($6.47 at Lowes). The solar panel and light connect to the feeder battery (no batteries in light). The wires from the battery to the light are soldered to the appropriate connections in the light housing. The Dorcy came with a base which is removable. Wrap the remaining stub with electrical tape, then drill a hole in the box and jam it in there. I drilled a small hole from behind and through the light stub to secure it to the box. Pretty simple.

PM me if that is too confusing and I'll get some better pictures when I get around one of them again and send them.

That should keep them working for awhile and I don't have to worry about batteries.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/25/13 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: MRCHIRO

You sir, have one bad [censored] setup!!! Pics of the innerds and schematics please!!!

Another vote for a pic of the innards. The connections should be easy but you did such a good job on the outside we'd like to see how you tidied up the wires.

That setup would go much longer between battery changes and the electrical box is a great idea for mounting.

Coons knocked mine off the tree (it was only held by the two screws and keyholes in the back). I reattached it & used a bungee cord for reinforcement. I think, with your permission, I'll run to Home Depot's electrical department.

Thanks for the comment on the deer. I saw them again the next time I was out, but they didn't come to the pond. Instead they chased each other back & forth in the woods. About 10 laps before heading off with the older ones.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/25/13 04:49 PM

I think, with your permission, I'll run to Home Depot's electrical department.

up rofl Have at it... grin

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/25/13 06:01 PM

I mounted mine on 8 foot t-posts, but they can be removed and carried anywhere easily.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/25/13 07:29 PM

How heavy is this beast?

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/25/13 07:54 PM

I don't know, didn't weigh it. I'd bet 5 or so pounds. It's not as heavy as it looks.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/25/13 08:05 PM

I just got back from Lowe's and I'm $7 poorer for the experience. I ordered another light & have a spare solar panel and feeder battery in my truck.

Thanks for the nudge to Lowe's. Home Depot didn't have anything near that price that didn't screw together.

The beauty of that box is it's about the size of a game camera. With my Primos camera mount, ot will be able to be put just about anywhere and pointed where I want.

If the entire thing, battery and all, weighed 5 pounds, I'd be surprised. It feels much lighter & the battery is the heaviest piece.
Posted By: miket1

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/25/13 08:58 PM

The patent is pending and has not yet been issued. It MAY not EVER be issued. Until it is issued you have no ground to stand on. Granted, you may be able to sue retroactively once the patent is issued but unless the product was sold you will be chasing your tail and throwing dollars at your lawyers and getting pennies ,if anything, in return.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/26/13 01:57 PM

I just got back from Lowe's and I'm $7 poorer for the experience. I ordered another light & have a spare solar panel and feeder battery in my truck.

Thanks for the nudge to Lowe's. Home Depot didn't have anything near that price that didn't screw together.

The beauty of that box is it's about the size of a game camera. With my Primos camera mount, ot will be able to be put just about anywhere and pointed where I want.

If the entire thing, battery and all, weighed 5 pounds, I'd be surprised. It feels much lighter & the battery is the heaviest piece.

Good deal! I'm glad it worked out for you. Now go get us some more vids.. up

My parts to rig up a sensor system so you can sleep while you wait on the piggies to come should arrive today. I'm gettin' old. I can't stay up all night waiting on them, but if I can doze off and be notified they are there I'm good to go... ;-)
Posted By: DocBailey

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt - 03/26/13 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: miket1

The patent is pending and has not yet been issued. It MAY not EVER be issued. Until it is issued you have no ground to stand on. Granted, you may be able to sue retroactively once the patent is issued but unless the product was sold you will be chasing your tail and throwing dollars at your lawyers and getting pennies ,if anything, in return.

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum