Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: HBone] #4105825 03/07/13 05:43 AM
donswin Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
I mentioned the Hoginator because it looked exactly like the Beam, only with mods. Was Beam's copyright infringed? If I had purchased the Hoginator, I would have removed the stake and attached it to a tree. Would that modification have been a violation of Beam's patent? Geez.

I also have a Hog Kill Light. They got my first call looking for a motion sensor attachment. They didn't have one so I moved on.

I used the Beam light base and mounted it to a tree using the supplied screws. My only mod was to change the color of the light. I suspect (hope) the Hoginator uses green leds. I prefer green lights for hunting so I put a piece of green film on the front and adhered it with electrician's tape.

I have only one & it isn't for sale. However, I promise never to mention the H*g*!or again when showing pictures of my feeder and hog...er....pig (is "hog" patented too?) light.

Last edited by donswin; 03/07/13 05:53 AM.
Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: HBone] #4105871 03/07/13 08:17 AM
Dragonuv Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I don't know where you came up with "y'all", I have no connection to TGO. If you have issues with something they posted, then you'll just have to take that up with them...preferably in a private message.
I was just simply reading the thread and noticed it turned to the Hoginator, then it went to modifying a similar light to be just like it; and since I have dealt with patent laws for a few years, I thought I would be doing you guys a favor by letting you know exactly what the laws are regarding what was proposed, apparently I was mistaken and you'd rather be kept in the dark. Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but it used to be that any reasonable person would appreciate being made aware of something that could possibly cause them headaches in the future. If you'd rather get hit by the train instead of having someone tell you it's coming, that is your prerogative.

As far as what I wrote, nothing in there was factually inaccurate. Whether anyone likes it or not, and whether it sucks or not, is irrelevant. It's federal law and no matter how much we blubber and whine about it, it's not going to change. Do any of you guys really think that Winchester, FoxPro, Magpul, or any other manufacturer would sit idly by while you openly discussed on a public forum, that they were members of, how you were going to try to copy their patented products? Of course not, so why are you holding a grudge against TGO for doing it? I can guarantee you that if they wanted to be buttholes about it, they would have foregone posting anything at all and gone straight for your IP addresses so they could serve you...because that's what would typically happen. And it doesn't matter how big of an Internet tuff guy you think you are, because when you're in court you're just a defendant. I know its hard for some to understand, but if/when the day comes that you invent and/or copyright something, you will come to appreciate intellectual property rights as well.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: Dragonuv] #4105974 03/07/13 12:31 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
I mentioned the Hoginator because it looked exactly like the Beam, only with mods. Was Beam's copyright infringed?

There isn't any law, that I know of, that says you can't buy a product, modify it, and resell it. My guess is that the Hoginator gets the lights from the same source as Mr Beams or Dorcy (who markets the exact same light).
http://www.amazon.com/Dorcy-41-1071-Wire...beams+spotlight

As for the patent nonsense noted above, just what is the exact patent? The hoginator's description is that there is a patent pending. Since the Mr Beams and Dorcy lights are made to be mounted on an object for shining, I have a lot of trouble believing that mounting on a t-post is going to violate any sort of patent. What a silly threat.
http://www.hoginator17.com/products/

Last I checked, you can't patent somebody else's product, LOL.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 03/07/13 12:45 PM.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: Dragonuv] #4106087 03/07/13 01:53 PM
P
preston629 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: Dragonuv
No one is threatening anyone.

Originally Posted By: Terri's Great Outdoors
i had already called and talked to patent attorney. he is having me save all these posts.
only going to let it go so far. we didnt spend that much money to give it away. you said it alot better than i would have. thats why i was waiting on saying anything until i talked to him.

kinda sounds like a threat dontcha think?

Last edited by preston629; 03/07/13 01:53 PM.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: curt o] #4106306 03/07/13 03:32 PM
N
Never missed Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
I'm pretty sure if u replicate it for ur self that's not illegal. If u sell them that's a different story. Duh

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: preston629] #4106381 03/07/13 03:57 PM
donswin Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Frankly, I thought the part about seeing young deer playing in the pond and having a herd of hogs crossing the road after an unsuccessful night were the more interesting parts of my post.

I did not intend to malign a product that I stated was very well reviewed. It appears to be a great product that will appeal to those wanting something ready to go right out of the box. I'm sure it will be shining green long after my tape has weathered and blown away.

We hunters are a creative sort by nature. We are always trying to make a better hog trap or deer blind. Most of our ideas are triggered by what others have done.

I apologize for linking to the product mentioned. I was not putting it down but comparing options.

For instance, the Mr. Beams says it has a spot light while the Dorcy says it is a flood. I did buy some Dorcy's to light the entry to my hunting trailer. I intend to use them "as is" without modifications....well, I may use zip ties to hold them to my awning bar.

To me, the perfect hog light would be both motion sensing and solar powered with interchangeable LED's. but I'll leave that to the more avid hog light developers if it hasn't already been done.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: donswin] #4106543 03/07/13 05:00 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
LOL. thanks for posting that dragonov. i had already called and talked to patent attorney. he is having me save all these posts.
only going to let it go so far.we didnt spend that much money to give it away. you said it alot better than i would have. thats why i was waiting on saying anything until i talked to him.

So what exactly is your patent for? You can't patent a color change on somebody else's product. You can't patent a light that you don't own the design to. You can't patent a stick. Colored lights on sticks, stands, and feeders have been in use and production for years and so you are not patenting that. Dorcy and Mr Beams lights are designed to be mounted on other surfaces. So...?

I do see where you changed or original design where you took a Mr Beams-type light, complete with the original mount, and mounted it to a stick, but now that has changed and you have dropped the original mount. So my guess is that you are attempting to patent the new mount because that is about all that is different. It is also all that is unique to your design that hasn't previously been in the public domain or owned by others..

So tell us, exactly what is your pending patent for specifically? A filing date and number would be nice as well.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 03/07/13 05:26 PM.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4106665 03/07/13 05:55 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I bought 4 $10 lights at wally world and mounted them on the cheap $5 posts from home depot with hose clamps. Ended up putting only two on a feeder and at $90 yards I can shoot a rabbit at night with just my cheap azz NC Star scope on my AR. The other two I mounted to the camera stand I made, no patent so you can copy if you like, and they did the same thing for me. I've got the camera stand here so I took a pic.

Dragonuv is developing a nice product to be sure but a normal white light you buy at home depot and a little enginuity and will produce a working product if you can't justify spending a couple hundred bucks on a commercial one. The stand was two $5 cheapo garden "t" posts, a chunk of treated 2x6 and some lag screws. A piece on aluminum I bent and screwed on for a mounting place for a 6v battery and a solar panel allows the camera to work for as long as the battery stays good, the SD card isn't full and I leave it there. The lights, well those are the $10 wally world specials so, we'll see. One word of advice. Mount the lights higher for better light on the ground.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: passthru] #4106674 03/07/13 06:00 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Oh, for you "my patent lawyer" guys, I'm sure I've seen similar products like you produce. The "kill light" looks just like a tent light I bought for $10 at wally world with very few modifications. Very few products aren't built on the shoulders of those that came before it. A few modifications for a needed application and a new product hits the market. So pay your lawyer. I know from experience those suites are very hard to win. And if you do find a liberal enough judge to win one, very difficult to collect on. Because too many of the ones sued don't have anything in the first place.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: passthru] #4107374 03/07/13 10:51 PM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
For the record I am sure there are many like me on the forum. If I want legal advise I will go to my attorney. I am not a little boy that cowers at a letter from a attorney. Unless you are willing to go all the way with litigation - do not threaten me. I question your product development and marketing strategy.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: Ramsey] #4108310 03/08/13 12:01 PM
K
kjustice Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
K
I think Thomas Edison should get the credit and move on. Anything beyond that is foolish to say that was my idea.

Give thanks in all circumstances.
Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: curt o] #4108432 03/08/13 01:44 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
A patent isn't foolish in and of itself, though it can be excessively expensive (which may be foolish for a very inexpensive low volume item, patents easily running a minimum of $5K). Patents have of specific criteria...

Quote:
Federal law dictates eligibility for patents, and to receive one, ideas must meet four requirements: the invention must have utility; it must be novel; it must not have been obvious to a person having ordinary skill in the art at the time the invention was made, and it must be thoroughly explained and documented so that someone else would be able to make it.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/12/smbusiness/patent_website.fsb/index.htm

As a unit, the Hoginator 17 does have utility, isn't novel (lots of other similar products out there), is obvious (lots of other similar products already out there), and until we see the pending patent, we don't know what is being patented.

Also note...
http://goldsteinpatentlaw.com/educationc...nd-non-obvious/

So obviously, the entire unit isn't patented, but some aspect of it, but it will have to meet the 4 criteria and as I noted above, the only thing potentially unique is the mount.

As for Terri's assertion...
Quote:
we didnt spend that much money to give it away.

...that is exactly what you do with the information in the patent. Patents involve full public disclosure (with some rare national security exceptions).

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4108662 03/08/13 03:09 PM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
A patent isn't foolish in and of itself, though it can be excessively expensive (which may be foolish for a very inexpensive low volume item, patents easily running a minimum of $5K). Patents have of specific criteria...

Quote:
Federal law dictates eligibility for patents, and to receive one, ideas must meet four requirements: the invention must have utility; it must be novel; it must not have been obvious to a person having ordinary skill in the art at the time the invention was made, and it must be thoroughly explained and documented so that someone else would be able to make it.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/12/smbusiness/patent_website.fsb/index.htm

As a unit, the Hoginator 17 does have utility, isn't novel (lots of other similar products out there), is obvious (lots of other similar products already out there), and until we see the pending patent, we don't know what is being patented.

Also note...
http://goldsteinpatentlaw.com/educationc...nd-non-obvious/

So obviously, the entire unit isn't patented, but some aspect of it, but it will have to meet the 4 criteria and as I noted above, the only thing potentially unique is the mount.

As for Terri's assertion...
Quote:
we didnt spend that much money to give it away.

...that is exactly what you do with the information in the patent. Patents involve full public disclosure (with some rare national security exceptions).

All of this is factually 100% true. I hate this post went south
as it got away from the point the writer was making and that was his great weekend. As far as the folks with patent pending - my two cents is simple do not threaten me with legal language or lecture me on how much you business cost to start up. Sell your product and tell me how good it is. I have bought a car, 5 guns, 3 hogligts, 1 kill light, 3 feeders and no telling what else from this forum.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: 12ring] #4108930 03/08/13 04:37 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: 12ring
And how long do batteries last and what batteries ?

This is something that gets asked a lot about battery powered products. The answer is that it varies depending on batteries. In this instance the prouct uses 3, D sized batteries. If you price shop what you will most likely end up with is something on the order of a 2500 mAh battery at a nominal price. If, on the other hand, you choose to desire a longer life battery and are wiling to spend more, you can get something on the order of an 11,000 mAh battery. The net is that if you spend more you get more juice (most of the time). Rechargables bring a whole host of additional decisions.

Originally Posted By: Danger Ranger
I've got the same light! I love it! Just wish there was a way of mounting a solar panel to it.

I'm betting you could. I don't have one of the lights, but have ordered some and they will be here in the next few days. If the batteries are connected in series, which I believe is a high probability, then the light is running on 4.5 volts. I am pretty certain it won't hurt anything to run it off of a 6 volt feeder battery with a 6 volt solar panel. I'll try it as soon as I get them in.

Now....this is just something I'm gonna try. Please, nobody sue me for modifying the light I bought. My thought of patenting it is pending.. up

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: passthru] #4109113 03/08/13 06:16 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: passthru

You must not have any coons. They would chew that wiring to pieces at my place. frown

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: dfwroadkill] #4109247 03/08/13 07:36 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Well, I was surprised....the Dorcy light came in today. I know it looks like the Mr. Beam's and Hoginator, but it can't be because it is only 17 bucks and change (delivered if you have Prime) on Amazon . Anyway, being that it is my light now I decided to modify it and see if I could run it on a 6 volt rechargable feeder battery. Well, here you go:

Works perfect! up

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: curt o] #4109317 03/08/13 08:25 PM
C
centexrancher Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I will look forward to not buying the soon to be released `patented` hog lights. What an arrogant crock of pig poop!

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: centexrancher] #4109376 03/08/13 09:09 PM
G
GriffGruff78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
There is absolutely no way that you could find yourself embroiled in intellectual properties litigation by putting a piece of tape over the led module of a store-bought motion sensing light.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: GriffGruff78] #4109660 03/08/13 11:53 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
Well, I was surprised....the Dorcy light came in today. I know it looks like the Mr. Beam's and Hoginator, but it can't be because it is only 17 bucks and change (delivered if you have Prime) on Amazon

Amazon Prime is great! We love it. With that said, if you check back regularly, you can find 3 Mr Beams for less than $50 on occasion.

I have had the Dorcy and Mr Beam open and side by side. I didn't see any difference between them. I have unscrewed both and installed colored transparency material under the lens and over the light and they look exactly the same.

I have not taken a H17 apart, but they have the same housing, LOL!!!

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 03/08/13 11:54 PM.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4110160 03/09/13 04:30 AM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Yep, love me some Amazon Prime....

I don't expect the light will last all that long, but I'm gonna give it a whirl. I'll prolly just put it out there white light and all. I have other white lights right now. Seems the animals are fine with it. They all come right on in. It's just what they get used to. I bet you can get one with a green LED off of one the Chinese websites...

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: dfwroadkill] #4110211 03/09/13 05:20 AM
donswin Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Lights aside, I finally got my deer video cleaned up and on YouTube

View it by clicking > HERE <.

I'll post this in the deer hunting section too. I've seen them play a little in the feeder area but these horsed around longer than I've ever seen.

Turn the volume down a bit at first. The wind was gusting.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: curt o] #4111942 03/10/13 08:03 AM
Sw0970 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Nice light

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: Sw0970] #4112862 03/10/13 09:46 PM
M
mikey1313 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
nice lights... but instead of film... at home depot by the solar yard lights they sell a 3 pack of colored glass, 1 green, 1 red, 1 blue. so with the 20 dollar solar yard light and 7 dollar glass a couple of zip ties and a few drops of super glue you have 3 lights at 67 bucks that are already solar

Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back everything is different.

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: mikey1313] #4113344 03/11/13 01:50 AM
T
TXDEERHUNTER10 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I guess every redneck should have a suit filed against them then...Redneck Inginuity at its greatest.

"Muddy Banks Outdoors "
Hips Archery Targets
Pro Staff Team 2014
"Less Shred, More Dead"
Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: TXDEERHUNTER10] #4113903 03/11/13 12:47 PM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
If your product can be infringed on so easily by a redneck with 20 bucks and some tape, then I would suggest you spend a little more money on your production.

Good idea don, I'm gonna have to break some patents myself soon!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide