Page 1 of 2 1 2
This is getting scarey but what can you do? #3996052 01/27/13 12:20 AM
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Today was the second saturday in a row I went to the Garland Public Shooting Range which has been under scrutiny latley. What bothered me was all the "new" shooters. I know this sounds weird BUT for the second Saturday in a row, I spent more time helping people learn how to use "LOAD"???!!! their weapons!!! Than develop new loads for my new 7mm08. It was pitiful and scarey. I was actually scared I was going to get shot by a careless newbie. This one poor guy next to me had some cheap AR knock off with a burris dot sight, at 50 yards, his rounds were hitting the ground at about 25 yards. No wonder people want these ranges shut down. The range officers were busy SITTING ON THEIR ASSES, shootin the chit!!!

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: Buzzsaw] #3996096 01/27/13 12:39 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
That place pretty much sux

Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: Brother in-law] #3996127 01/27/13 12:53 AM
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
yea, it has gone down hill. it's like a big "give up" What's left, Elm Fork?

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: Brother in-law] #3996133 01/27/13 12:55 AM
Core-Lokt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Just wait a bit. Assuming no bans, most of these new owners will either sell their stuff or it'll gather dust 364 days of the year. When they find they can't hit sh*t, they'll get disgusted.

Core-Lokt:The deadliest mushroom in the woods
Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: Core-Lokt] #3996156 01/27/13 01:03 AM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
If within the name of a range the word "public" appears, stay as far away as possible.

It just 'ain't worth it. bolt

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: tth_40] #3996752 01/27/13 04:00 AM
B
Big Grouper Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Used to, here in Houston you could go to the Carters country after season and it would just be a few of us old farts having a good time. Now, you can't find a place to park and every lane is full. I just drive out to the lease and shoot at our range now. I think Core-lokt is right. I'm ready for them to get bored with it.

Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: Big Grouper] #3997820 01/27/13 05:39 PM
N
NewJeep Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
It is bad when the walmart clerk has to warn you that the 22-250 rounds I was buying won't fit a 22lr! I looked at him and asked if he was serious! He said yes atleast 2 people have tried to return 22-250 rounds because they wouldn't fit the .22 they just bought! I was completely amazed, shocked oh yeah and scared that people like thhat are buying guns.

Live to hunt, forced to work!
Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: NewJeep] #3997826 01/27/13 05:42 PM
S
SR025 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Wow that's pretty bad, I go out there durning the week from time to time and there are usually only 3-5 people there.

Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: SR025] #3998272 01/27/13 08:22 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Yea, my neighbor does the same thing. Unfortunatley, if I went during the week, my phone would ring just as I got set up. Hell, I can barely escape on the weekends

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: Big Grouper] #3998303 01/27/13 08:30 PM
M
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Big Grouper
................ would just be a few of us old farts having a good time. Now, you can't find a place to park and every lane is full. I just drive out to the lease and shoot at our range now. I think Core-lokt is right. I'm ready for them to get bored with it.

That's how I see it. The drive for me is twice as far, but I don't have to wait for a long lane, and I can trust the person next me :-)

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: NewJeep] #3998581 01/27/13 10:06 PM
T
Tumbleweeds Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: NewJeep
It is bad when the walmart clerk has to warn you that the 22-250 rounds I was buying won't fit a 22lr! I looked at him and asked if he was serious! He said yes atleast 2 people have tried to return 22-250 rounds because they wouldn't fit the .22 they just bought! I was completely amazed, shocked oh yeah and scared that people like thhat are buying guns.

Now that is really scarey that people have to be told that type of stuff.

"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know." - Groucho Marks
Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: Big Grouper] #3998614 01/27/13 10:17 PM
A
AlaskaCub Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Big Grouper
Used to, here in Houston you could go to the Carters country after season and it would just be a few of us old farts having a good time. Now, you can't find a place to park and every lane is full. I just drive out to the lease and shoot at our range now. I think Core-lokt is right. I'm ready for them to get bored with it.

Same thing here in San Antonio. I used to be able to go to the Bullet Hole on a weekday after season at 10am when they opened and you could get right in there to shooot. Now theres a line at 10am just to get checked in. The other day I went to shoot and there was a group of like 5 young women, all had new semi-autos in their brand new platic boxes they come with, all giggly about shooting them, they were clueless. Add to that the swarms of guys toting black rifles and its really just a pain in the azz to go shoot there. This gun buying panic has gone off the deep end if you ask me, never seen anything like this, not even in 08/09 with odummy was elected.

Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: Tumbleweeds] #3998646 01/27/13 10:26 PM
T
txjt Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
It might be scary but then again can you blame a newbie who doesn't have anybody to help him? Educating people will go a lot farther than complaining about them. Now some people are just following the trend but there are a lot of people interested in shooting that just don't have the luxury of knowing somebody to help them along the way.

Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: txjt] #3998838 01/27/13 11:38 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
I just got back from a great range
Usually we can get our own bay to be able to do what we want without dealing with newbies.

Not so today
Too many people

I am very picky about when I will go to certain ranges.
Some I just won't go to on a weekend.

I dislike Reds in Austin because they rent guns.
Too many times I have seen a group of foreign tourists in there shooting.
Clearly they know nothing about proper range etiquette, safety, etc..

The range I mainly go to has a long range and it is is good because there aren't idiots out there. You have to earn the privelage to shoot past 250.

I am all for new shooters but maybe they shoos be required to take some classes first.

Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: ccoker] #3999078 01/28/13 01:05 AM
H
HTDUCK Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Do what I did. Join a private club.
Best $400.00 I ever spent.
I don't care if it is 65 miles from home.Lots of days I have a 20 lane 100 yard rifle bay to myself.
And a room full of reloading equipment to do load development work.

Looking at joining another one that's 140 miles away to be able to shoot out to 500 yards.

I'm all for helping new shooters, enjoy doing it. But I'd rather do it in a private setting.
I used to shoot at GPSR and did for years, it's 15 minutes from home. No more.

YMMV

Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: AlaskaCub] #3999111 01/28/13 01:13 AM
C
contactcr Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Originally Posted By: AlaskaCub
... The other day I went to shoot and there was a group of like 5 young women, all had new semi-autos in their brand new platic boxes they come with, all giggly about shooting them, they were clueless. ...

Hey whats wrong with the plastic cases handguns come with?

Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: HTDUCK] #3999119 01/28/13 01:15 AM
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
I may join a club too. I shoot more rifle than pistol, so I will have to drive pretty far but I usually make a day of it.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: Buzzsaw] #3999213 01/28/13 01:34 AM
S
Southtexas36 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
In all honesty we need as many people as possible get into the shooting sports, the more people that take a liking to it the more to defend our freedoms even if it is a PITA at the range. At this point I'd be a little worried to see only a couple of people there even if it would be convenient.

Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: contactcr] #3999257 01/28/13 01:43 AM
C
clharr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: contactcr
... The other day I went to shoot and there was a group of like 5 young women, all had new semi-autos in their brand new platic boxes they come with, all giggly about shooting them, they were clueless. ...

More importantly, whats wrong with a group of five young women? Sounds like a missed opportunity to me.

Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: clharr] #3999550 01/28/13 02:46 AM
crash8005 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I usually don't chime in on things but wanted to add my 2 pennys worth. What bothers me is the fact that people are willing to go out and spend money to buy a gun but not take the "responsibility" of learning how to shoot it. You don't even have to pay for lessons. Information about just about every firearm can be found on the internet, not to mention that the firearm manufacturers include manuals in each box. You can also find videos and links to gun safety and tips at various websites including the NRA and youtube.

How many of these "noobs" have taken the time to read the manual? I would put money on few if any. I was once a "noob" too but I never even put a round in a firearm without learning as much as possible about the firearm including how to operate it safely. I am still not and will never consider myself fully educated or an "expert" which is why I am never shy about asking questions or for instruction. I would believe that the majority of people on here are the same way. I am a firm believer in training and education but one has to have have self initiative and responsibility to learn for themselves. For their safety and the safety of others. However, they don't. This seems to be the common thread of our society now. Instant gratification. Want the milk but not willing to milk the cow.

Very scary stuff.

Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: crash8005] #3999570 01/28/13 02:50 AM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Pretty much describes a large portion of our society. Look who got elected and RE-elected as President. bang

Is any of this really surprising?

I'm still surprised the general public has enough intellegence and initiative to find their own car in the parking lot.

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: tth_40] #3999737 01/28/13 03:27 AM
S
soje Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: tth_40
Pretty much describes a large portion of our society. Look who got elected and RE-elected as President. bang

Is any of this really surprising?

I'm still surprised the general public has enough intellegence and initiative to find their own car in the parking lot.

I'm very disturbed by the fact that the majority of voters selected this guy. It does reflect on the collective mentality of America. I feel like a minority. It's no small issue.

On the topic. I was at Walmart today, and the clerk said he had a Colt AR come in, and that it would be put out sometime soon. I could wait around and but it for 1,100 buck, and turn around and sell it for a huge profit. I actually entertained this idea for a minute. I then came to my senses, and came home.

I've been planning on starting my fire arm collecting this year. I just picked the worst time in the last decade to do so. The only thing I've paid a ridiculous price for is magazines, and I've managed to get a decent price for them all. I really want an AK platform gun. I'm worried I may never get it.

Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: soje] #3999821 01/28/13 03:46 AM
P
piney woods hunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
well soje i really think by this time next year you will be able to get a decent deal on a ak type rifle hang in there and les do our best to help the new shooters , i know it must be a pain with the ranges crowed i live in east texas and shoot on our leases private range, or a buddys range both les than 15 miles from me just made me think how luckey i am , hang in there guys and gals , i might have went to the range with the 5 women ha ha

NRA all the way god guns and guts made us free , i want all three
Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: soje] #3999870 01/28/13 04:01 AM
A
AlaskaCub Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: soje
I was at Walmart today, and the clerk said he had a Colt AR come in, and that it would be put out sometime soon. I could wait around and but it for 1,100 buck, and turn around and sell it for a huge profit. I actually entertained this idea for a minute. I then came to my senses, and came home.

That is exactly the reason that the shelves and the gun racks are so bare, guys are camping out to buy stuff, searching the internet for daily updates of inventory and their only intention being to turn around and put it on the internet to sell it for a profit. Its really sad whats going on but reality will set in, the classifieds here and elsewhere are so oversaturated with black rifles and black rifle components that the prices will get back down to normal. Its supply and demand and right now theres a ton of supply, and even though the demand is there.....its not at the current price levels like it was a month ago. Guys will start looking stupid when they list a $900 AR for $2500 when there is 4 of the same rifle for sale for $1300, Watch and see......

Re: This is getting scarey but what can you do? [Re: clharr] #3999876 01/28/13 04:04 AM
22bond Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Originally Posted By: clharr
Originally Posted By: contactcr

More importantly, whats wrong with a group of five young women? Sounds like a missed opportunity to me.

When they get so excited that they hit the target and turns around to get their friends reaction, it is a pretty scary sight. The gun is cocked and loaded, finger still on the trigger and the gun is now not facing down range but pointing to the next lane.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide