Print Thread
Cheap African Safari #3927075 01/07/13 11:53 PM
B
brandon S E Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
I am new here, but have been lurking for a while. I just started repping a game ranch in South Africa and thought I would pass along a special for 2013. This is a 5 day hunt for $1500. This deal is all inclusive: trophy fees for 3 animals, meals, beer and wine, pick up and drop off from Johannesberg, and guide, tracking, and skinning services. The animals included are a blue wildebeest, impala, and a warthog, plus all the jackals you can shoot. Other animals can be added for the regular trophy price and extra days can also be added for an extra fee. I hunted this ranch in November and they are a great operation. It is not a 5 star lodge, but offer comfortable accommodations on an 8,000 acre ranch. If anybody is interested, email me at bemmons@centurylink.net. Happy Hunting, Brandon

Re: Cheap African Safari [Re: brandon S E] #3927101 01/07/13 11:57 PM
T
traviselmore Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
What province is this in? Do you have any references and a price list for additional animals that you could either post or pm?

Re: Cheap African Safari [Re: traviselmore] #3927246 01/08/13 12:32 AM
L
Lazyman Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
L
Website???

Re: Cheap African Safari [Re: brandon S E] #3927281 01/08/13 12:39 AM
B
brandon S E Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
The ranch is located in the NW Province about 2 1/2 hours from J'berg. More information can be found on their website http://www.koedoeberg.co.za The other trophy fees are listed, but to get the discount on the package, it has to be referred by me. References can be provided, I have hunted it and so has my brother-in-law.

Last edited by brandon S E; 01/08/13 12:40 AM.
Re: Cheap African Safari [Re: brandon S E] #3932703 01/09/13 12:10 PM
M
Mohawg Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Thanks for the info.

Re: Cheap African Safari [Re: Mohawg] #3932810 01/09/13 01:36 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Heck the air fare would cost more than the hunt. Sounds like a good option. When do the hunts take place?

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Cheap African Safari [Re: passthru] #3934257 01/09/13 07:45 PM
B
brandon S E Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
The package is for the 2013 hunting season. Most of the early dates are filled, but theree are a lot of open dates in August, September, and October. You could also hunt in the early part of Novemeber, but it gets pretty hot and it would interefere with deer season. Plus, it always seems like airfare is cheaper towards the end of the season. Happy hunting.

Re: Cheap African Safari [Re: brandon S E] #3944134 01/12/13 04:20 PM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
Dang good deal!

Re: Cheap African Safari [Re: chital_shikari] #3997928 01/27/13 06:22 PM
K
KarenDalton Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
K
South Africa, Kenya, and Tanzania are the top destinations.
Angola is also good, as it less visited and more wild, and undevelpoed, and less touristy.

trips to botswana

Last edited by KarenDalton; 01/27/13 06:30 PM.
Re: Cheap African Safari [Re: KarenDalton] #3997975 01/27/13 06:41 PM
Q
quartierleblanc Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
Hunting is closed in Kenya and has been for years. Tanzania is horribly expensive. By far the most popular place is rapidly becoming Namibia with RSA still up there but tenuous. Angola is not a common hunting destination. There are a lot of unscrupulous outfitters in RSA and some are outright scams. I'd really research an extremely low price by using hunting reports or make sure you're using a reputable and I mean reputable booking agent that is active in SCI.

Last edited by quartierleblanc; 01/27/13 06:42 PM.
Re: Cheap African Safari [Re: passthru] #4054320 02/15/13 12:35 AM
S
smh264 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Our airfare last year was $2400 per ticket for economy. Flew from D.C. to Dakar, Seneca and stayed there one hour, then to Jberg where we spent the night. Flew to Harare, Zimbabwe the next day. The Afton House in Jberg is where many of the hunters stay when passing through.

Lifetime NRA Member, GPAA member
Ex Law Enforcement/Police Firearms Instructor
Re: Cheap African Safari [Re: brandon S E] #4054326 02/15/13 12:37 AM
S
smh264 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Was the game pen-bred or natural occuring in the wild? Were they purchased and brought in just for hunting?

Re: Cheap African Safari [Re: smh264] #4054373 02/15/13 12:57 AM
H
hamza Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
I just booked a flight to RSA for April it was $1400 on Delta. It is also a direct flight. Delta took good care of my bowcase and other luggage. I cannot make that claim with the other airline I flew. Hope this is helpful. I also thought Nathan Jonas was representing Koedoeberg safari's in North America. If this is the Koedoeberg Safaris owned by Willem then their reputation is very good. I would make sure that before any money changes hands that I would have some direct contact
with Willem.

-Jerry

Last edited by hamza; 02/15/13 12:58 AM.

wasting my life one arrow at a time.
Re: Cheap African Safari [Re: hamza] #4054474 02/15/13 01:30 AM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Not a bad deal for sure, but not that smoking either. The reason is that I doubt if you will be satified once you are there with just a Gnu, Impala, and Warthog. You'll end up adding animals, taxidermy, days, etc. and the cost will be right back up there.

Shoot - no kidding here - I bought a package deal at the CCA auction last year for $2700. The package for all-inclusive for 7 days for TWO people, include $1200 credit toward animals. Their ala carte prices for animals were a bit high, so after we figured a full suite of animals for two people - right back up at $10K.

I still have the package and it is still valid. If anyone wants it, I will GIVE it away - since I am not going to use it this year. It's with White Lion Safaris. You have a buddy that wants to go, or maybe take a wife/GF who isn't going to hunt - you could probably add a few animals for yourself and have a decent hunt for $5000 plus airfare.

Re: Cheap African Safari [Re: KarenDalton] #4057064 02/15/13 11:25 PM
S
smh264 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Agree, and the Save Valley in Zimbabwe is producing some huge cape buffalo. I got a 40" and of the 4 that were taken in the weeks directly before I got there, all 4 were onthe drying racks and all were bigger than mine. I would definitely go back to this area if the chance came up, and I think it just might.

Re: Cheap African Safari [Re: smh264] #4063236 02/18/13 06:33 PM
C
Colt W. Knight Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
A lot of those South African hunts are no different than high fence hunting in Texas. You are just on another continent.

I'd love to go to Africa and hunt. ONe of these days, Ill have the extra money and time.

Last edited by Colt W. Knight; 02/18/13 06:34 PM.
Re: Cheap African Safari [Re: smh264] #4070492 02/21/13 01:58 AM
R
Roo Basher Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: smh264
Was the game pen-bred or natural occuring in the wild? Were they purchased and brought in just for hunting?

99% of African game was born on the game ranch you are hunting. There are a limited number of animals bought and transported around "just for hunting".

Re: Cheap African Safari [Re: Colt W. Knight] #4070844 02/21/13 03:32 AM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Colt W. Knight
A lot of those South African hunts are no different than high fence hunting in Texas. You are just on another continent.

This is not exactly true. There is still quite a bit of LF hunting in Africa. Moreover, while there are HFs in Africa, it is NOT like HF operations in Texas. While I am sure there are exceptions both there and here, there are many important differences:

(1) The amount of area behind the fence in Africa is typically 20x to 10000x greater than ranches in Texas. Hunting concessions in Africa are not uncommon to be 50,000 to 100,000 acres, and some are more than a million acres. To put this in perspective, think of throwing a HF around the entire Hill Country in Texas. Lets say the center 5 counties. Now dis hunting in the hill country as HF.

Or if you don't get it looking at it that way, consider this fact: If you consider a HF to be any man-made impassable boundary, like a cement wall - then most of central Texas IS already HF in the same way Texas is. This is true because of the "fence" created by highways, cities, and other private or public "fences" that already contain game. Many areas in Africa are THAT large!!

In Texas, a 3000 acre ranch is considered large. Over there, that size is a "hobby farm".

(2) With very rare exception, there is no put-and-take hunting in Africa - except for things like lions in RSA, or very small operators with tiny ranches. Put-and-take is REALLY hated in RSA!!! No reputable PH will associate themselves with ANY small or PnT operation. In fact, I think PHASA prohibits it.

(3) Hunting ranches or concessions are run more like preserves. They do not feed the animals. They do not plant food plots. They do not interfere with the natural order in any way. If nature does something to kill the animals off, like a drought, then the animals die. They don't go around supplementally feeding, watering, or injecting animals. They let the area be natural in every way.

(4) Only occasionally does a land owner buy an animal - usually because momma wants something, or maybe to introduce outside genetic diversity - but NEVER to breed big horns, etc. That simply is not done over there, and think we are nuts for doing it. In addition, many land owners REFUSE to have animals on their place that wouldn't occur naturally. For example, if Gemsbok are not naturally found in that area, they won't put them on their ranch. Besides preserving the natural area, they only consider this good sense. Since they don't feed or otherwise, if the species doesn't occur naturally then it is doubtful they will survive or prosper.

(5) While some operations are beginning to hunt from blinds or "hives", and some are relaxing the age old ethic of not hunting water holes - for the most part the hunting is done on foot, with tracking and stalking to a degree that is rarely, if ever, done in Texas. You only have to do one proper hunt in Africa to realize how LAZY most hunting is in Texas. Not criticizing mind you, but anyone that makes a comment that hunting is the same as Texas clearly has not been and doesn't know what they are talking about.

Even the "safari style" or "spot and stalk" hunts in Texas are a pale shadow of the typical proper hunt. Now climbing up and down mountains in west Texas with MulieMike might come pretty close - but driving around in a truck on a 1000 acre ranch in Texas, then jumping out and stalking 500 yards is a joke compared to 5-6 HOUR stalk covering a couple miles of heavy terrain that were typical of the hunts we've done in Africa.

Now I'm sure there are outfitters over there who will cater to rich, lazy, hunters and provide an experience "no different than Texas" - it is NOT what it is about in Africa and NOT what the African experience is all about.

Last edited by John Humbert; 02/21/13 03:34 AM.
Re: Cheap African Safari [Re: John Humbert] #4080039 02/25/13 12:58 AM
C
Colt W. Knight Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Are you talking about the country of South Africa or the Continent of Africa. All the Nations and even regions within nations are different.

The only reason I mentioned the HF situation is it is something to keep in mind when booking a hunt in Africa. Someone who thinks they are going on Safari is going to be real disappointed when they find out they are harvesting livestock in high fence. Just like hunting anywhere, it is important to due the homework. Like you said, there will be exceptions on both continents.

I had a similar experience when I was a teenager. My Dad wanted us to go on a big hunt, and we found an affordable bear hunt in Ontario, Canada. When we got up there, we found we were basically sitting over a bucket of donuts waiting for hungry bears to come get something to eat. Extremely disappointing.I had the same feeling of disappointment when I went to book my African hunt. The true fair chase hunts were going to be too expensive for me at the time once I factored in the plane tickets/transportation, and time off work.

Last edited by Colt W. Knight; 02/25/13 01:08 AM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide