Forums46
Topics538,073
Posts9,732,639
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: wolfshepherd] #3924532 01/07/13 06:30 AM
R
Ryan81 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: wolfshepherd
Wolves are absolutely not endangered.

What are you talking about? If I see him and have my gun he's in danger. rifle

Last edited by Ryan81; 01/07/13 06:33 AM.
Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: Ryan81] #3924609 01/07/13 11:07 AM
W
wolfshepherd Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
Grey wolves were being protected in most of the lower 48 but are not an endangered species. Grey wolves are all over Europe, and Asia. Population numbers are through the roof all over the world. Yes the red wolf is but if we're just saying "wolf" I would say it's safe to assume we're talking about the grey wolf. But if not then maybe you were talking about Ethiopian wolves. I would also have to say there is far too little advocacy for the Tasmanian wolf.

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: BAD] #3924643 01/07/13 11:43 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: varmint111
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Originally Posted By: varmint111
Originally Posted By: Chuck S
But then there is a very big area to justify the shooting. You have to prove the dog was harassing livestock, and that generally means the state biologist better find some fur or hair in the dog's mouth/teeth from the livestock. Legally, you cannot shoot it just because it is cutting across your land. If this guy cannot prove that your dogs were killing his stock, you can hold him legally responcible. I would urge you to contact an attorney.

I'm not sure what law book your reading bro but in Texas it don't matter the circumstance. If someone's dog is on your land you have the rite to kill it. I mean you fed a good line of BS there but wow!! It's simple keep your dogs pinned up. I live in the country if my dogs get out of there pen and are cruising on someone else's property regardless if they are causing trouble and they get shot, it's my fault for not keeping them pinned up. It's just part of life.

You might want to review that law again sir, or enlighten us an post it here.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.42.htm#42.092

Ok let me rephrase this. In Texas there are numerous reasons for shooting someone's dog on your property. Of course you can't do it in the city limits but in the country it's different. My point was that the dog doesn't have to have fur or hair in its mouth in order to be shot. A dog trespassing is a danger to wildlife, people, livestock, agricultre crops, ect...all are reason to legally kill it in Texas.

Read your link a little better.

1) the animal was discovered on the person's property in the act of or after injuring or killing the person's livestock animals or damaging the person's crops and that the person killed or injured the animal at the time of this discovery;

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: BAD] #3924648 01/07/13 11:53 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
This subject has been discussed here many times and the answer is always the same.

Yes you can shoot a stray dog on your property if it's attacking livestock or a threat to you or your family'

No you can not shoot it just because it's on your property, and the state is very clear when they say wildlife is not livestock.

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: HWY_MAN] #3924700 01/07/13 12:36 PM
T
target1911 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
122lb.....and you say that is a larg wolf????
We just weighed my sisters German Shepard.....103lbs and one of his pups is 98lbs. Wolves can easily out weigh a shepard.

"A good life is never too short"
My Dad
Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: JCB] #4065153 02/19/13 07:08 AM
C
chicca Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
I have to disgree about them being extinct - we have a pack that lives behind our property in some wooded acreage (about 2000 acres) - we hear them in the evenings, and we are NOT hearing coyotes. Yes, we hear the coyotes also, and they sound totally different. Then, one evening we saw 2 of them trot across the edge of our pasture, much larger than coyotes, and with almost of black blanket across their backs. My husband works for the forest service, and is from western Montana - he has had plenty of wolf encounters and I assure you - he KNEW they were not coyotes. We live in north east Texas, very rural.

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: chicca] #4065161 02/19/13 07:26 AM
10ring Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Just a side note... Montana has lowered the non resident price of a wolf tag down from $350.00 to $50.00 and you are allowed 3 wolves. Unfortunately this season ends Feb 28th but if you want to go wack some wolves now's a good time to go!

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: 10ring] #4066266 02/19/13 07:06 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I wish they would open up Wolf hunting in Michigan. My mom had 2 cutting through her yard last winter.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #4066357 02/19/13 07:34 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
My ol' man killed a few of them on the King Ranch shoreline back in the 60's while running a tug boat up & down the land cut. Pretty much everyone shot one of them when they saw them. Back then, they were considered an animal that just needs to be killed for a number of reasons. I've personally always admired wolves. I've never had calves or other livestock killed by wolves either.

& when I drink too much especially around a camp fire, sometimes I howl like a wolf. I've never called in another wolf that way, only weiner dogs but I'll keep trying.....

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: HWY_MAN] #4066794 02/19/13 09:58 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
This subject has been discussed here many times and the answer is always the same.

Yes you can shoot a stray dog on your property if it's attacking livestock or a threat to you or your family'

No you can not shoot it just because it's on your property, and the state is very clear when they say wildlife is not livestock.

A threat to "you" is pretty subjective and unless they have a video of the dog all you have to say is it ran at me barking, thats considered "threatening". Anyway, back to the original point, lock up your dogs and this kinda [censored] won't happen.

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: krmitchell] #4068195 02/20/13 12:17 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

A threat to "you" is pretty subjective and unless they have a video of the dog all you have to say is it ran at me barking, thats considered "threatening". Anyway, back to the original point, lock up your dogs and this kinda [censored] won't happen.

While I agree with your last comment keep them locked up, but I certainly don't condone lying to justify what you did. That could and should get charges stacked up on you. Lying to a LEO is never a good idea and to suggest it is very poor advice.

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: HWY_MAN] #4068782 02/20/13 04:10 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

While I agree with your last comment keep them locked up, but I certainly don't condone lying to justify what you did. That could and should get charges stacked up on you. Lying to a LEO is never a good idea and to suggest it is very poor advice.

I wasn't saying lie about it, but there have been plenty of times a dog has shown aggressive "threatening" behavior towards me. I always shoot a warning shot at dogs unless I have no choice. Typically the warning shot will get them to leave without any further problems. If that doesn't work, well then the gloves are off. My point was simply that feeling threatened is subjective and a dog barking when you walk by it could be considered threatening behavior if you are an 80 year old woman.

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: krmitchell] #4069405 02/20/13 07:24 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
For the most part, we as farmers and ranchers, do not have dog problems. We have people problems. The problem is that people do not keep up with their pets.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: BenBob] #4070234 02/21/13 12:33 AM
J
Jangle Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted By: BenBob
For the most part, we as farmers and ranchers, do not have dog problems. We have people problems. The problem is that people do not keep up with their pets.

+1

"A competent leader can get efficient service from poor troops, while on the contrary an incapable leader can demoralize the best of troops."
-- Gen. John J. Pershing
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide