Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: Sneaky] #3918831 01/05/13 03:30 PM
F
furdown Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Yea I wound have shot the he!! out them if they had been my calves, then make you pay for them. I'd shoot em for just chasing cows, he!!, I'd shoot em for just being in the pasture of with our cows and horses.

Moral of story, keep your dam dogs on your land

�There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never cared for anything else thereafter.�- Ernest Hemingway

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: Sneaky] #3918834 01/05/13 03:31 PM
B
bayourat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Great 1st post, go cry on PETA's forum you'll get more sympathy.

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: Sneaky] #3918855 01/05/13 03:41 PM
B
Bob in TX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Quote:
The murderer proudly said he killed the other two.

Go away and get some help..........

The Texas Predator Posse
NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: furdown] #3918869 01/05/13 03:51 PM
X
Xman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
X
Originally Posted By: furdown
Yea I wound have shot the he!! out them if they had been my calves, then make you pay for them. I'd shoot em for just chasing cows, he!!, I'd shoot em for just being in the pasture of with our cows and horses.

Moral of story, keep your dam dogs on your land

X2.
Dogs (from Chihuahua to St Bernards) are free game when they wonder into a pasture with livestock. I once shot a guys Samoyed in Laramie for harassing my daughter's goats inside the pen. I had warned him several time to keep his dogs under control. I took it to the owner's house and threw it's carcus on his living room floor. When he tried to retailiate he ended up in jail with a very expensive law suit against him. It very easily could of turned into a CCW matter. The law of the land (and most states/counties) is that livestock are everything and stray dogs in pastures are expendable.

What Bob said !!!!!!

Last edited by Chuck S; 01/05/13 03:54 PM.

Shoot ... Reload ... Shoot ... Call 911
Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: Xman] #3918883 01/05/13 03:57 PM
X
Xman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
X
WWCD??? Shoot. Shovel. Shut-up. I mean, Shoot. reload. Shoot. Then shovel and shut-up.

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: Sneaky] #3918942 01/05/13 04:21 PM
C
Chris/HOU Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
One more thing. Animals are not people, therefore, they cannot be murdered.

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: Chris/HOU] #3918978 01/05/13 04:33 PM
X
Xman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
X
Don't let these guys get to you. Granted the law of that land is that a farmer or rancher can shoot any dog caught harassing livestock. But then there is a very big area to justify the shooting. You have to prove the dog was harassing livestock, and that generally means the state biologist better find some fur or hair in the dog's mouth/teeth from the livestock. Legally, you cannot shoot it just because it is cutting across your land. If this guy cannot prove that your dogs were killing his stock, you can hold him legally responcible. I would urge you to contact an attorney.

Take a minute to consider the breed of dog in a farmers eyes. We're not talking about a beagle. We are talking about a breed that in all features resembles a known dangerous predator to livestock and small children. This I believe would justify the ranchers decission to shoot.

I sorry for you and your loss. Take a minute to learn from the experience.

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: Sneaky] #3920925 01/06/13 04:29 AM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
“It looked like a grey wolf,” said Charlie Owens.

Charlie Owens probably has zero real life experience with grey wolves.

Quote:
“It weighed 122 pounds,” Owens said.

“That is a pretty big dog,” Blackburn said.

And it would be a very big wolf for Texas. Even up in Idaho where they are facing mostly a Canadian subspecies of grey wolf most are 101 lbs and less. Given that wolves are clinal where larger sized animals are usually associated with colder habitats, a 122 lb wolf would be very large indeed for Texas. http://www.thewildlifenews.com/2010/02/18/update-on-the-weight-of-wolves-shot-in-idaho-hunt/

As for shooting it, protection of livestock is a valid legal reason. Wolves may be endangered, but wolfdogs are not. A wolfdog isn't a wolf. Thunder isn't a wolf. Thunder is a hybrid, apparently with a domestic dog and as such is not an endangered species.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #3920984 01/06/13 04:51 AM
J
JDShellnut Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Why whine about it here all the sudden after 2 years?

I got to go with everybody else, keep it under control and it never would have gotten shot. In reality, your negligence killed your dog.

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: JDShellnut] #3921054 01/06/13 05:16 AM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Double Naught Spy how much do you know about wolves? Studies in Europe and Canada indicate 70% of the wolves killed are yearlings so not fully mature. In Minnesota yearlings weigh 65-75 lbs., mature wolves go 90 lbs to 135 lbs with some exceptional Alpha males getting to 150 lbs. A wolf cross from northern stock crossed with a large breed dog could easily go 122 lbs. What is most likely is it was a pet that got loose or was dumped. (I double checked I used Alaskan weights Minnesota is 70 to 110) The record is 175 lbs in Alaska

Last edited by nsmike; 01/06/13 05:41 AM.

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: JDShellnut] #3921378 01/06/13 01:55 PM
X
Xman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
X
Originally Posted By: adam_p
Why whine about it here all the sudden after 2 years?

I got to go with everybody else, keep it under control and it never would have gotten shot. In reality, your negligence killed your dog.

x2

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: Sneaky] #3921562 01/06/13 03:25 PM
J
Just J Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
City people should stick to the city. If your dogs are chasing livestock, then they will be shot. Get used to it, hippy.

+1

quoted for the truth around here letting your dogs run cattle is seriously bad etiquette

that being said I saw a red wolf in 1975 east of Buffalo TX as an avid yote caller and hunter there was no mistaking it, yeah I know what everyone reads

heres an easy pic reference

with that said I shot this pic in Young County about last week in October

yeah I know its probably a dog or a coyote or a dog bred by coyotes or a hoax or swamp gas shot taken at about 80yds this photo cropped from that larger one

Last edited by Just J; 01/06/13 03:36 PM. Reason: added photos

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: Cea] #3922714 01/06/13 10:54 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Cea
This was my wolfdog, Thunder. He was beloved & a big lazy lug. One suddenly frozen night he and our two girls escaped their pen. We reported them missing to our local police on Blackburn Street. Michael had once been the mayor. The first female was home the next morning unbeknownst to them. Later in the week, the police called and said & the news reported 3 wolves had killed 6 calves when only 2 were still out. The murderer proudly said he killed the other two. We were devastated. When we asked to see bodies to verify they were indeed ours, Blackburn changed and said he killed one and gutshot the other who ran in the bushes. Game warden told us full blood was a felony but upon inspecting, ours were legal pets. They were well fed lazy pets who had no hunting experience. Still, Thunder's body was never returned. We heard everyone in the man's store posed with his dead body for pictures and that he was stuffed.
Hoping to find my female alive, I looked Blackburn up in the tax records and drove out to the property where he claimed the calves were killed & piled at the back of the property. Not only did I not find my pet wolfdog, I never saw any cows either or even buzzards flying over anything dead. I took pictures and sent them to our insurance company as he was trying to sue our homeowner's insurance. A week later, the police called. They found our female in a completely different direction, terrified & non violent, totally happy to see us. She was not gutshot. We have her second litter of puppies now.
Not long after, I noticed Blackburn's store went out of business and I heard he died of a heart attack. Good! He killed my pet wolfdog, lied about everything, and got what he deserved.
Unless you're being threatened by an animal, especially a dog, don't shoot it!! It doesn't make you a great hunter. It makes you a dead a$$hole. Wolves are endangered!! Keep your bullets to yourself!!

Wow what a disgusting person you are, your negligence and your dogs actions got one of them shot and killed and then you throw all the blame on a man who was only protecting his livestock. Now it sounds like you trespassed on his property looking for evidence. Heres a little hint, the buzzards won't be back until spring! then you end your post relishing in the fact that he has died. I'm sorry did I say disgusting, you went far lower than that. You should be seeing your post in the local paper soon, have a good day.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: Cea] #3922769 01/06/13 11:06 PM
R
Roo Basher Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Cea
This was my wolfdog, Thunder. He was beloved & a big lazy lug. One suddenly frozen night he and our two girls escaped their pen. We reported them missing to our local police on Blackburn Street. Michael had once been the mayor. The first female was home the next morning unbeknownst to them. Later in the week, the police called and said & the news reported 3 wolves had killed 6 calves when only 2 were still out. The murderer proudly said he killed the other two. We were devastated. When we asked to see bodies to verify they were indeed ours, Blackburn changed and said he killed one and gutshot the other who ran in the bushes. Game warden told us full blood was a felony but upon inspecting, ours were legal pets. They were well fed lazy pets who had no hunting experience. Still, Thunder's body was never returned. We heard everyone in the man's store posed with his dead body for pictures and that he was stuffed.
Hoping to find my female alive, I looked Blackburn up in the tax records and drove out to the property where he claimed the calves were killed & piled at the back of the property. Not only did I not find my pet wolfdog, I never saw any cows either or even buzzards flying over anything dead. I took pictures and sent them to our insurance company as he was trying to sue our homeowner's insurance. A week later, the police called. They found our female in a completely different direction, terrified & non violent, totally happy to see us. She was not gutshot. We have her second litter of puppies now.
Not long after, I noticed Blackburn's store went out of business and I heard he died of a heart attack. Good! He killed my pet wolfdog, lied about everything, and got what he deserved.
Unless you're being threatened by an animal, especially a dog, don't shoot it!! It doesn't make you a great hunter. It makes you a dead a$$hole. Wolves are endangered!! Keep your bullets to yourself!!

Another Greenie fishing for trouble.

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: Roo Basher] #3923157 01/07/13 12:40 AM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I do notice that Cea has not responded...good. I love my pets but am also responsible and would not blame someone for hitting them with a car should they get loose in the street. I would be devastated but would not blame others. That said, any pet killing a neighbor's livestock becomes a target as that is their living. May seem harsh but your negligence put them in a situation where a decision had to be made.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: Xman] #3923251 01/07/13 01:05 AM
BAD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted By: Chuck S
But then there is a very big area to justify the shooting. You have to prove the dog was harassing livestock, and that generally means the state biologist better find some fur or hair in the dog's mouth/teeth from the livestock. Legally, you cannot shoot it just because it is cutting across your land. If this guy cannot prove that your dogs were killing his stock, you can hold him legally responcible. I would urge you to contact an attorney.

I'm not sure what law book your reading bro but in Texas it don't matter the circumstance. If someone's dog is on your land you have the rite to kill it. I mean you fed a good line of BS there but wow!! It's simple keep your dogs pinned up. I live in the country if my dogs get out of there pen and are cruising on someone else's property regardless if they are causing trouble and they get shot, it's my fault for not keeping them pinned up. It's just part of life.

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: BAD] #3923296 01/07/13 01:13 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: varmint111
But then there is a very big area to justify the shooting. You have to prove the dog was harassing livestock, and that generally means the state biologist better find some fur or hair in the dog's mouth/teeth from the livestock. Legally, you cannot shoot it just because it is cutting across your land. If this guy cannot prove that your dogs were killing his stock, you can hold him legally responcible. I would urge you to contact an attorney.

I'm not sure what law book your reading bro but in Texas it don't matter the circumstance. If someone's dog is on your land you have the rite to kill it. I mean you fed a good line of BS there but wow!! It's simple keep your dogs pinned up. I live in the country if my dogs get out of there pen and are cruising on someone else's property regardless if they are causing trouble and they get shot, it's my fault for not keeping them pinned up. It's just part of life.

You might want to review that law again sir, or enlighten us an post it here.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: HWY_MAN] #3923346 01/07/13 01:24 AM
S
Savage388 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
She obviously doesn't know what her dogs cost that gentleman. Six calves at today's market price can easily top $4500 or more. I would hate to have someone smoke my little collie cross, but if I'm not acting responsibly with her it's my fault she ended up dead.

ODERINT DUM METUANT
Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: HWY_MAN] #3923462 01/07/13 01:51 AM
BAD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.42.htm#42.092

Ok let me rephrase this. In Texas there are numerous reasons for shooting someone's dog on your property. Of course you can't do it in the city limits but in the country it's different. My point was that the dog doesn't have to have fur or hair in its mouth in order to be shot. A dog trespassing is a danger to wildlife, people, livestock, agricultre crops, ect...all are reason to legally kill it in Texas.

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: Savage388] #3923482 01/07/13 01:55 AM
W
wolfshepherd Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
Wolves are absolutely not endangered.

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: Savage388] #3923521 01/07/13 02:03 AM
L
longhorn_cop Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
popcorn

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: longhorn_cop] #3923599 01/07/13 02:16 AM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
Wolves are absolutely not endangered.

Some absolutely are. Grey wolves just came off the listing, but red wolves definitely are.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: BAD] #3924142 01/07/13 04:12 AM
G
GriffGruff78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.42.htm#42.092

Ok let me rephrase this. In Texas there are numerous reasons for shooting someone's dog on your property. Of course you can't do it in the city limits but in the country it's different. My point was that the dog doesn't have to have fur or hair in its mouth in order to be shot. A dog trespassing is a danger to wildlife, people, livestock, agricultre crops, ect...all are reason to legally kill it in Texas.

Aggressively producing a dead dog to it's owner is probably ill-advised in any conceivable scenario, but it's really, really hard to prevail in court against one who has shot, shoveled and shut-up, regardless of the legal nuances of livestock depredation perpetrated by dogs in Texas.

All that aside, I think we all understand the bond that exists between a good dog and its family. I'm not likely to shoot at someone's setter or lab for being in the same pasture as the cows and I've let lots of bay dogs enter and exit my property unperforated because they aren't really doing anything other than making me angry at the humans who smoke and eat too much to keep up with them. If you actually have animals causing a problem, ventilate 'em - but the assumption of carte blanche to shoot wandering dogs isn't reasonable, neighborly or, IMO, in the spirit of the law.

Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: Sneaky] #3924366 01/07/13 05:06 AM
P
P1DTAY Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
City people should stick to the city. If your dogs are chasing livestock, then they will be shot. Get used to it, hippy.
Yuuuuup

texas
Re: 122 lbs Wolf Cross shot near Paris? [Re: P1DTAY] #3924388 01/07/13 05:11 AM
X
Xman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
X
What GriffGruff said. My mistake was dumping the dead Samoyed in the people's living room floor. It opened the door to a whole lot of unnecessary problems. This was not the first time or the 5th time for this dog. After several complaints to the sheriff and talking to the owner, It was the last time. Like everything else in life, there is a when and when not. Common sense should tell a person the difference. Just because a dog is short cutting hardly justifies killing it. Don't let anger and arrogance be you deciding factor.

I watch the dogs that cross my property and see where they are going. If it becomes a habit, I usually give then a load of .410 bird shot. After the first couple, they usually stop. Probably because the owner get tired of the injuries and the vet bills. If they are a nuisence or a problem I deal with that accordingly too. I had a husky that stole a javelina head and a 10 point muley head I was doing for a Euro mount. I could never prove what happed to the javelina, and I could not get a clear shot when it had the deer head. I only got it back because the dog could not get it under it's back fence to take it home. If you come tell me that you killed my dog because it was killing your livestock, you danged sure better have a carcus to prove it. That may not exactly be Texas Politically correct, but that is the way I understand it. And that is the way I do it. Either that or "Shoot, shovel and Shut up".

Killing a wolf is big news. No wonder everyone knew about it.

State law might say it is ok to shoot any dog in a pasture for any reason or no reason. The laws also says that gay marriage, abortions and Westboro Baptist Church is ok too. My morals and principles tells me differently. Just because the law says it is ok does not make it right.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide