Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Tipping at ranches [Re: 7mag] #3671834 10/18/12 06:01 PM
C
Clintster Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Originally Posted By: 7mag
With gas and groceries I have yet to make any profit. Fact of the matter is 9 times out of 10 I'm usually in the red. What makes it worthwhile is the landowner lets me a harvest a good deer as a trade off. By no means a pissed rant but I do know what most guides make and it ain't much.

7mag makes a good point. You have to remember that most guides aren't the land owner and aren't being paid for their services, rather compensated with free hunting. This is a pretty common arrangement. You tip waitresses because they make $2.13 an hour... most guides make $0 an hour. I tip just like I would at a restaurant, I'll let you know exactly what I think of your service with the amount I put in your hand. I've tipped $0 for a terrible hunt I went on and I tipped a grand for a hunt I went on that cost $600 because the guide knew the land and the deer and put me on a 14 point the first morning I hunted.

Last edited by Clintster; 10/18/12 06:02 PM.
Re: Tipping at ranches [Re: 7mag] #3672182 10/18/12 07:52 PM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Sq2 hunter
I may be wrong on this topic. However, it seems like tipping has gotten out of control these days. I painted cars for years and never got a tip for doing a good job on a car. That's what the original price was for and I was expected to do a good job! I'm also gonna be a nurse soon and I don't expect a tip for doing my job. It just seems considering how bad our economy is, along with the prices of hunts, and number of ranches to choose from, a tip shouldn't be expected. Especially since most ranches charge anywhere from $150-$350 a day in guide fees.

I think your getting a bit carried away with who receives tips and who shouldn't. I don't tip nurses. Customary to tip waitresses, barbers etc. I believe most intelligent people can figure who needs tips. To categorize you painting cars and nursing would be like a cop taking tips for his service, which is not required.

I had a group of hunters off another forum hunt with me several yrs ago. The total tip I took in for 2 1/2 days was 130.00. No complaint but here is the break down. 30 was from the hat being passed around. One individual felt bad for us I guess. He gave me a hundred. Before one jumps on the band wagon of "maybe you didn't get off your arse". I took the group out for spot and stalk, blind hunting. When done and they shot seven javalinas. I gutted, caped and quartered, most of the javelina. Oh less not forget I cooked that weekend. Some of you have been in our camp, and know I double as guide and cook the majority of times. By the way I did have one other guide helping me, but it was balls to the walls.

With gas and groceries I have yet to make any profit. Fact of the matter is 9 times out of 10 I'm usually in the red. What makes it worthwhile is the landowner lets me a harvest a good deer as a trade off. By no means a pissed rant but I do know what most guides make and it ain't much.

So we know you don't do it for the money but when we leave a tip it sure makes you feel appreciated doesn't it?

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Tipping at ranches [Re: Clintster] #3672186 10/18/12 07:54 PM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Clintster

7mag makes a good point. You have to remember that most guides aren't the land owner and aren't being paid for their services, rather compensated with free hunting. This is a pretty common arrangement. You tip waitresses because they make $2.13 an hour... most guides make $0 an hour. I tip just like I would at a restaurant, I'll let you know exactly what I think of your service with the amount I put in your hand. I've tipped $0 for a terrible hunt I went on and I tipped a grand for a hunt I went on that cost $600 because the guide knew the land and the deer and put me on a 14 point the first morning I hunted.

Dang. That's a heck of a tip.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Tipping at ranches [Re: passthru] #3672389 10/18/12 09:11 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: passthru
Originally Posted By: Sq2 hunter
I may be wrong on this topic. However, it seems like tipping has gotten out of control these days. I painted cars for years and never got a tip for doing a good job on a car. That's what the original price was for and I was expected to do a good job! I'm also gonna be a nurse soon and I don't expect a tip for doing my job. It just seems considering how bad our economy is, along with the prices of hunts, and number of ranches to choose from, a tip shouldn't be expected. Especially since most ranches charge anywhere from $150-$350 a day in guide fees.

I think your getting a bit carried away with who receives tips and who shouldn't. I don't tip nurses. Customary to tip waitresses, barbers etc. I believe most intelligent people can figure who needs tips. To categorize you painting cars and nursing would be like a cop taking tips for his service, which is not required.

I had a group of hunters off another forum hunt with me several yrs ago. The total tip I took in for 2 1/2 days was 130.00. No complaint but here is the break down. 30 was from the hat being passed around. One individual felt bad for us I guess. He gave me a hundred. Before one jumps on the band wagon of "maybe you didn't get off your arse". I took the group out for spot and stalk, blind hunting. When done and they shot seven javalinas. I gutted, caped and quartered, most of the javelina. Oh less not forget I cooked that weekend. Some of you have been in our camp, and know I double as guide and cook the majority of times. By the way I did have one other guide helping me, but it was balls to the walls.

So we know you don't do it for the money but when we leave a tip it sure makes you feel appreciated doesn't it?

Of course it does

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Tipping at ranches [Re: 7mag] #3850950 12/15/12 07:49 PM
R
RussG Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
This topic weighs heavy on my mind when I have utilized the services of an outfitter and guides. I personally have never been on a cheap outfitted hunt, but in all of the info pertaining to the hunt it is sold as guides, food and lodging are included in the hunt price. Several hunts I have been on the guides don't waste much time telling you how little they get paid from the outfitter and that they count on tips from the clients. I've always tipped, and it's never been a set percentage like in restaurants, but I have often felt like either the guide didn't think I gave him enough or I thought he didn't deserve what I gave. This whole tipping for guides on an expensive hunt just baffles me. As a client we generally have no control over the guide we have, and there are some real idiots out there that think they can guide, but if the guide ruins you hunt it's not like the outfitter is going to give you another hunt on the house.

Re: Tipping at ranches [Re: RussG] #3851032 12/15/12 08:32 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I tip generously for exceptional service. I tip well for good service. I will even tip if I had a good time, but I don't ways tip. It's your call and usually not required. Go with your gut.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Tipping at ranches [Re: Cast] #3851442 12/15/12 11:46 PM
B
BBD84 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I have gotten as little as 35$ for 2 days of busting [censored] and as much as 1500$ for 3 days. I usually treat my self to a few hunts a year and have gotten out of guiding for the most part and just try to sell the hunts unless the hunters request me which has happened quite a bit again this season. When i go on my hunts no matter the situation i tip. The least is $50 a day for a drop of and pick up type deal and usually around 10-25% i know how it feels and no matter what like said above 9 out of 10 times were in the red but we do it cause we love it bot the $ thats for sure

Texas Elite Outfitters.
281-924-9720
Re: Tipping at ranches [Re: BBD84] #3851699 12/16/12 01:16 AM
S
STXHO Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I like these "tipping" posts. I think it is important for hunters to take care of their guide or outfitter. They work hard and spend a lot of time and $ before the hunt, to ensure that the hunter has a good experience. I think it is rude not to give some type of tip. My guides make good $ but it shows that they are appreciated when they get a little something extra. I do a couple guided hunts each year and I am always sure to give a good tip, that way when I return the following year the outfitter will know that I appreciated all the hard work and effort.

Re: Tipping at ranches [Re: STXHO] #3853845 12/16/12 10:26 PM
S
SnakeAR Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I asked a question about tipping on another topic with no response. Reading this has really helped me out. I have never been on a guided hunt, but planning one for my 9 year old and I. I believe in tipping on the experience regardless of the service offered. If someone is working hard "for a tip" it normally doesn't come across as genuine to me. Regardless I will still tip well for the hard work, but if I feel someone is working hard to make me happy and because they are enjoying themselves as well they will get a generous tip. Whoever I'm tipping I usually use the same %'s though 20 to 25 for excellent service.

Re: Tipping at ranches [Re: SnakeAR] #3855326 12/17/12 04:00 AM
P
Phantom Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
I have been on both sides as a guide and a hunter. As a guide we have people that come back year after year. We remember the ones that tip and the ones that dont. I do not guide for the money but the time scouting prior to the hunt, gas, wear and tear on my vehicle etc. It is nice to feel like your appreciated for what you do to give them a good hunt. I seem to get around 100 - 200 per hunt on whitetails on a 3.5 day hunt.

Good is the enemy of Great
Re: Tipping at ranches [Re: 7mag] #3856782 12/17/12 05:18 PM
R
Red D Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I have asked the owner about charging for quartering/skinning/gutting. He doesn't like the idea and prefers the hunters would just tip. Most are not paying high dollar so maybe they feel no tip is needed. Some if not most places charge 25-50 per animal for the service.

I agree with 7mag. Unless there is a separate guide fee, skinning/cleaning must be a separate. Especially on cheap meat hunts. Do it yourself or pay for cleaning. And tip is a separate thing.
Pay your tip based on your satisfaction and then pay cleaning fee if you did not want to get hands dirty.
More expensive hunts normally have "guide fee with game care" included. Then just tips for the hunting experience.
I always keep a $50min per animal in my wallet for field dressing. It will take guide 20 minutes to do that, it will take me an hour to do same. I will pay and will help guide to hold carcass if needed.

Re: Tipping at ranches [Re: Red D] #3857115 12/17/12 07:18 PM
U
Uncle Nicky Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
U
15-20% seems to be the norm, 10% on high end hunts. If it's the business owner doing the guiding, I might tip less. If the guy busts his butt, I give a little more. If the guy brings up his tip before we even get started (had it happen twice) or if he just doesn't care much about his job, I'll give less.

Guides need to make a living, same as I do. If I can't afford the trip and a tip, I'll just stay local & hunt.

Re: Tipping at ranches [Re: Uncle Nicky] #3858159 12/18/12 01:38 AM
A
artrios60 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
I sincerly hope those guiding are not doing it for the money, it doesn't even come close to the amount of time put in. I know that putting in the time required has to be part of the job, only then can you be successful and gain a real appreciation for the job. I give thanks for the tip but am just as happy seeing a new hunter take home some meat or his first whitetail, then there's the hunter that came out and got to see some great animals everytime he sat and found his trophy. Thats doing a guides job regardless of tip. A tip is for those that do their homework in the field and see that a guest is treated with utmost respect while in your care. How that guest is treated is a direct reflection on how the ranch is run. If you plan on tipping make me earn it.

Re: Tipping at ranches [Re: Phantom] #3858586 12/18/12 03:15 AM
BAD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted By: brianl
I have been on both sides as a guide and a hunter. As a guide we have people that come back year after year. We remember the ones that tip and the ones that dont. I do not guide for the money but the time scouting prior to the hunt, gas, wear and tear on my vehicle etc. It is nice to feel like your appreciated for what you do to give them a good hunt. I seem to get around 100 - 200 per hunt on whitetails on a 3.5 day hunt.

I have to agree with you 100%. Ive been guiding for 8 yrs and I know I'm never gonna rich doing it, however I do this because of my passion for the outdoors. It's nice to be rewarded for busting your butt to give someone a good hunt. Most of my hunter tip around a 100.00 a day, and if it wasn't for this I'd probably loose money on most my hunts just relying on guide fees alone when all the expenses are figured in, gas, tires, ect...

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide