Forums46
Topics539,921
Posts9,755,665
Members87,194
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: TEXAN1970] #3853938 12/16/12 10:51 PM
C
COON HUNTER 79 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Your property owner is telling you to commit an illegal act.....

Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: COON HUNTER 79] #3853950 12/16/12 10:55 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'll have to check to confirm it, but I believe there is something in the TPW code that forbids harassing game animals. Not completely sure, but I'll research it.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: Grizz] #3853971 12/16/12 10:59 PM
4Weight Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Coon hunter, here is your answer.

A person is prohibited from using a dog to hunt or pursue deer in this state. A person who violates this law is subject to a fine of $500-$4,000 and/or a year in jail. Additionally, a person's hunting and fishing licenses may be revoked or suspended. In addition, no person may possess a shotgun and buckshot or slugs while in the field with dogs on another person's land during an open deer season in Angelina, Hardin, Harris, Harrison, Houston, Jasper, Jefferson, Liberty, Montgomery, Nacogdoches, Newton, Orange, Panola, Polk, Rusk, Sabine, San Augustine, San Jacinto, Shelby, Trinity, Tyler, and Walker counties.
It is unlawful to use dogs to trail a wounded deer in the counties listed above.

Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: COON HUNTER 79] #3853977 12/16/12 11:02 PM
J
Jacob645 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: COON HUNTER 79
Your property owner is telling you to commit an illegal act.....

So actually you were telling someone to commit an illegal act... Hmmmmm
dunce

Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: COON HUNTER 79] #3853996 12/16/12 11:07 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
• Dogs may not be used to hunt deer in this state.
- A person is prohibited from using a dog to hunt or pursue deer in this state. A person who
violates this law is subject to a fine of $500-$4,000 and/or a year in jail. Additionally, a
person’s hunting and fishing licenses may be revoked or suspended. In addition, no person
may possess a shotgun and buckshot or slugs while in the field with dogs on another person’s
land during an open deer season in Angelina, Hardin, Harris, Harrison, Houston, Jasper,
Jefferson, Liberty, Montgomery, Nacogdoches, Newton, Orange, Panola, Polk, Rusk, Sabine, San
Augustine, San Jacinto, Shelby, Trinity, Tyler, and Walker counties.
- It is unlawful to use dogs to trail a wounded deer in the counties listed above.
- N ot more than two dogs may be used to trail a wounded deer in counties not listed above. A
“wounded deer” is a deer leaving a blood trail.
• Pheasant may not be hunted by means of a cable, chain, or rope connected to or between a
moving object or objects.

Last edited by LandPirate; 12/16/12 11:09 PM.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: TEXAN1970] #3854078 12/16/12 11:30 PM
R
Ranch Dawg Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
R
They would only run through our place once.

THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS.

F##K YOU JOE BIDEN !!!!!
Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: Ranch Dawg] #3854098 12/16/12 11:36 PM
C
COON HUNTER 79 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Not impressed.....I could care less I dont run deer.......

Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: COON HUNTER 79] #3854105 12/16/12 11:38 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Saying you "could care less" implies that you care somewhat. Saying "I couldN'T care less" implies that you do not care at all. FYI

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: COON HUNTER 79] #3854118 12/16/12 11:41 PM
4Weight Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

Your posture throughout this thread is that you do or trying to rationalize doing it.

Last edited by 4Weight; 12/16/12 11:42 PM.
Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: Jacob645] #3854147 12/16/12 11:48 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Jacob645
So you just want to exercise the deer?
loco

I suspect you're too young to know anything about fox or bobcat hunting. There was a time when it was common to find men sitting around a fire in East Texas, listening to their hounds run a fox or bobcat. There was never an intention to kill anything but just to hear a good "race". And whenever it became difficult to hear the hounds, they would put out the fire, pack their stuff, and move to another location closer to the action. My grandfather was one of them and took tremendous pride in his fox hounds. And these hounds had a very unique appearance that you won't find anywhere today. These were days when you would be hard pressed to find a deer anywhere in East Texas. And a good race might last most of an entire night.

Today the same is somewhat true for coon hunters, although the coon is shot or "squalled" (called) down out of the tree far more often. But still, the emphasis is on hearing a good race as the dogs "work the track." That's also why trying to get the coon to jump out of the tree and continue the race is seen as a very good thing.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: Texas Dan] #3855286 12/17/12 03:53 AM
B
bluetopper Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Great post Dan and very true.

Uprisings started or quelled, tornadoes rerouted, elections rigged.
Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: bluetopper] #3855345 12/17/12 04:05 AM
R
RUM Mann Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Trying to chase deer for the fun of it is crazy

Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: RUM Mann] #3856112 12/17/12 01:58 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
To some, the sound of a good hound working a track is like sipping on fine bourbon. In fact, the two often go well together when sitting around a warm campfire.

Like hunting itself, a desire to be "houndsman" is something that may or may not be in your blood.

Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: Texas Dan] #3856216 12/17/12 02:23 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
The OP made no mention of chasing coons, bobcats, fox or anything else with his dogs.
He asked about chasing / running deer with his hounds which in Tx is illegal.
If the OP wanted to run coons or bobcat (anything ecxept game animals) with his hounds he wouldve asked that question. From my understanding out side of deer season it is legal to run hounds on varmints.
Of course he could've just looked it up in the outdoor annual or found the info on TPWD's website.
I won't shoot coon dogs or hog dogs or the neighbors dogs just because they are on or run across my property. Attack a calf or so much as growl at my wife then they have crossed the line.

Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: Rustler] #3856254 12/17/12 02:33 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Rustler
The OP made no mention of chasing coons, bobcats, fox or anything else with his dogs.
He asked about chasing / running deer with his hounds which in Tx is illegal.
If the OP wanted to run coons or bobcat (anything ecxept game animals) with his hounds he wouldve asked that question. From my understanding out side of deer season it is legal to run hounds on varmints.
Of course he could've just looked it up in the outdoor annual or found the info on TPWD's website.
I won't shoot coon dogs or hog dogs or the neighbors dogs just because they are on or run across my property. Attack a calf or so much as growl at my wife then they have crossed the line.

Having hunted deer with dogs as a kid gorwing up in Mississippi, I give serious doubt that anyone with an interest in running them at night has a desire to shoot them as well. While I've seen men who could shoot one on the dead run in good daylight, none of them could have done it at night.

And any houndsman knows all too well that deer leave a very hot track that unfortunately, many weak-minded hounds cannot ignore. In fact, I've seen many hounds run a deer at night in Texas, much to the disgust of their owners. grin

Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: Texas Dan] #3856300 12/17/12 02:48 PM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
loco

I suspect you're too young to know anything about fox or bobcat hunting. There was a time when it was common to find men sitting around a fire in East Texas, listening to their hounds run a fox or bobcat. There was never an intention to kill anything but just to hear a good "race". And whenever it became difficult to hear the hounds, they would put out the fire, pack their stuff, and move to another location closer to the action. My grandfather was one of them and took tremendous pride in his fox hounds. And these hounds had a very unique appearance that you won't find anywhere today. These were days when you would be hard pressed to find a deer anywhere in East Texas. And a good race might last most of an entire night.

Today the same is somewhat true for coon hunters, although the coon is shot or "squalled" (called) down out of the tree far more often. But still, the emphasis is on hearing a good race as the dogs "work the track." That's also why trying to get the coon to jump out of the tree and continue the race is seen as a very good thing.

Very well written. My father was one of those men also. I like to remind everyone that red fox are not native to west Texas. Men such as my father would buy reds in the 50's from trappers in Arkansas paying as much as $250 for a pair to seed Parker, Palo Pinto, Johnson, Bosque and surrounding counties.

As a yound man in my teens, we ran hounds around Chalk Mountain, Blum and I can tell you the deer knew our hounds were not a threat. Many times we would walk up on a treed coon and see deer standing 200 or 300 yards in the distance. We ran hounds to listen to the "Mountain Music". We didn't drink, we didn't even carry a gun. It was great fun and I wish we could still do it.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: HornSlayer] #3856323 12/17/12 02:56 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: HornSlayer
loco

Very well written. My father was one of those men also. I like to remind everyone that red fox are not native to west Texas. Men such as my father would buy reds in the 50's from trappers in Arkansas paying as much as $250 for a pair to seed Parker, Palo Pinto, Johnson, Bosque and surrounding counties.

As a yound man in my teens, we ran hounds around Chalk Mountain, Blum and I can tell you the deer knew our hounds were not a threat. Many times we would walk up on a treed coon and see deer standing 200 or 300 yards in the distance. We ran hounds to listen to the "Mountain Music". We didn't drink, we didn't even carry a gun. It was great fun and I wish we could still do it.

As for our more positive comments relative to the original post, any good houndsman is going to give the benefit of doubt to anyone who appears eager to hear a good race.

Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: Texas Dan] #3856342 12/17/12 03:05 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
True East Texas Foxhounds, mid 1930's

Let me add that like true hunting skills that don't include feeders and food plots, the use of hounds to chase (and not kill) wild game is quickly disappearing from our hunting culture.

Notice too the very long legs on most of these hounds, necessary in keeping up a good race.

Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: Texas Dan] #3856386 12/17/12 03:20 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
The original post was about chasing / running DEER with hounds in the DEER HUNTING section, you hijacked the thread and turned it into a pontification about yourself and your childhood memories. ( Re read the title of this thread )
I can find no laws that prohibit a houndsman from running / chasing anything besides deer, so I don't understand why a person couldn't still do it if they had the desire to do so. An email to TPWD will answer the question 100% accurately.

Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: Rustler] #3856426 12/17/12 03:29 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Rustler
The original post was about chasing / running DEER with hounds in the DEER HUNTING section, you hijacked the thread and turned it into a pontification about yourself and your childhood memories.
I can find no laws that prohibit a houndsman from running / chasing anything besides deer, so I don't understand why a person couldn't still do it if they had the desire to do so. An email to TPWD will answer the question 100% accurately.

Get off your high horse and take a deep breath. It's been years since dogs have been used to hunt deer in East Texas, and I don't see any efforts being made to return the practice. And did you see the need for a personal attack as really being necessary.

I can assurre you these and all my hunting memories are safe from people like you.

Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: Texas Dan] #3856463 12/17/12 03:36 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
You proved the point once again. up rofl

On edit :
Had this thread been about running hounds on varmints / legal pursuits or you had started a thread about various experiences running hounds I'd never made a "negative " comment, but that ain't at all what the topic of this thread is about.

IMO your hounding experiences are interesting and that picture is terrific.

Last edited by Rustler; 12/17/12 04:37 PM.
Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: COON HUNTER 79] #3856911 12/17/12 05:55 PM
S
Shane O mac Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Yes it is legal just as long as you dont have a gun,who cares what all these other little turds on here think about it.....

Good thing no one listened to this guy...glad there are people on here who actually look up the facts before posting and really know what they are talking about.

Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: Texas Dan] #3857256 12/17/12 08:07 PM
J
Jacob645 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
loco

No, Dan not too young. My dad went on many fox hunts only about 1/4 mile from where we currently hunt. I just don't know why you'd want to chase a deer around at night just because you can (which you can't). Fox, coons, hogs, and predators I understand. Now, these old timers who chased just to chase, well, to each his own on that. Try explaining to my wife I'm going to hunt, but not kill anything just drink and listen. Shee'll be asking me what "her" name is!

Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: Jacob645] #3857295 12/17/12 08:22 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Now, these old timers who chased just to chase, well, to each his own on that. Try explaining to my wife I'm going to hunt, but not kill anything just drink and listen. Shee'll be asking me what "her" name is!

Heard a guy say once that his wife told him before he left for an evening of coon hunting that she had no intentions of sleeping alone that night.

Not sure if it was enough to make him put his hounds back in the pen.

Re: Illegal to Run Deer with Hounds in TX? [Re: Texas Dan] #3857725 12/17/12 11:01 PM
B
bluetopper Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
After Dad died in '94 I sold all his running (coyote) hounds and purchased some show hounds; American Foxhounds and bred them and showed them all over the country for a few years. Here is a fine example of one.

I am the original poster in this thread and the reason I asked the question is I got in a debate with a couple of guys about whether it was legal or not to run a deer in TX without a gun. Nobody had any intention of actually doing so. Anytime I have ever been involved in a deer chase with hounds, it was very much unintended as we had coyote hounds and that was the intended game. But sometimes when you turn a fresh pack of hounds loose and they run headlong into a deer, well, the chase is sometimes on. And houndsmen hate it because every time I've seen it occur, after the hounds start putting the pressure on the deer he makes a bee line and heads straight for a lake whether it's close or 20 miles away.

Last edited by parisite; 12/17/12 11:15 PM.

Uprisings started or quelled, tornadoes rerouted, elections rigged.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide