Print Thread
What's a good attractant to bring in deer? #3739034 11/09/12 06:41 AM
D
destroyer4570 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
Hello All, I am new to the forum and haven't posted on here much but I really like this site and hope to contribute to it, having said that let me introduce myself My name is Richard and I am from South Texas and like many you guys I enjoy getting out hunting, shooting, and just enjoying the outdoors and am glad I have found a place where we can come together and communicate with people that share the same interest. I hope to learn alot from you guys but also share some of my experiences with you as well. So now onto my dilema and my question, I used to hunt a small piece of property that belongs to my grandmother, I hunted this place for many years up until about a few years ago deer proof fences started going up around our property. The first was put up about tens years ago on the property on the right of us but even though that hindered our chances of getting any deer on that side we still had deer coming into our place from the land directly behind us, which we got some good deer and hogs out of that place up until three years ago when the ranch was sold and then that landowner put up another deer proof fence right on the property line and that was that for the deer coming from his place. Well so I about gave up hunting our small ranch for awhile until many of the people I had talked to said that the deer can find a way around the fences and still make it to the property and that I should set up a feeder to bring them in, so a couple of weeks before the season started I set up a feeder in hopes of bringing in deer once again and have them find thier way back onto the property, now onto to my question. What attractant besides the corn I already have set out. whether it be another food attractant or scent attractant will bring in deer from a long way off. I have put out pre rut doe urine as well as other attractants like c'meer deer and powder attractants like sugar beet crush. But am I missing something? What else can I put around my place to bring in deer, what would you guys suggest and what would you or have you tried that will get good results? I see there is so much stuff on the market that claim to bring in and hold deer but don't know if they do in fact work or if they are just a gimmick. Besides that, I wouldn't ever know where to begin with these products. Please feel free to give some suggestions and some much needed advice and I look forward to your replies. Thanks for reading.

Re: What's a good attractant to bring in deer? [Re: destroyer4570] #3739071 11/09/12 08:41 AM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Welcome to the forum!!!

I support Cap and Trade - Cap our spending and Trade Obama

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Re: What's a good attractant to bring in deer? [Re: Seadog] #3739203 11/09/12 12:42 PM
M
mikey1313 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Corn or food plot, alfalfa clover etc. I haven't found anything else to work with any consistent results. Oh and water wouldn't hurt

Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back everything is different.

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Re: What's a good attractant to bring in deer? [Re: mikey1313] #3739215 11/09/12 12:47 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Acorns, if you have a source to gather a bunch of them put them at your feeder. Some parks departments gather them and throw them away.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: What's a good attractant to bring in deer? [Re: mikey1313] #3739221 11/09/12 12:48 PM
C
Clintster Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
+1 on alfalfa.

The best stuff I have found is actually a show pig feed I get from Dorchester Feed in Howe. Its a ground blend of grains (not really sure what all is actually in it) that is real similar in smell and texture to Buck Bran but significantly cheaper. I call it Deer Crack. They fill a 55 gallon drum for me for $70.

I don't put it in my feeders as it would cake and clog. I pour about 2-3 gallons out on the ground under my feeder every day (sometimes twice a day) that I'm out on the lease. Damn near every deer I've taken has looked like Tony Montana in the trophy picture.

Re: What's a good attractant to bring in deer? [Re: Clintster] #3739385 11/09/12 01:53 PM
T
tag saver Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
deer love peanuts and peanut butter .....
dollar store peanut butter and peanuts with the hull on ....
they can smell em from far away ...
where i hunt the farmers grow peanuts and the deer literally beat the fences to the ground going to em ....
also a food plot will help lots .....
up in breckenridge "turner seed" sells a blend of native seed
lots of variety in it ...and it will grow dang near anywhere ....
13/13/13 fertilizer 50 lbs ....50 lbs turner seed winter deer mix .....per acre....green carpet after the first good rain ....
they love that stuff
best of luck to ya

Re: What's a good attractant to bring in deer? [Re: tag saver] #3739468 11/09/12 02:16 PM
N
no-guts-no-glory Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: tag saver
where i hunt the farmers grow peanuts and the deer literally beat the fences to the ground going to em ....
13/13/13 fertilizer 50 lbs ....50 lbs turner seed winter deer mix .....per acre....green carpet after the first good rain ....
they love that stuff
best of luck to ya

Peanut butter??? How do you feed peanut butter to deer? Are you rubbing peanut butter on a tree or setting the jar on the ground?

Re: What's a good attractant to bring in deer? [Re: no-guts-no-glory] #3739491 11/09/12 02:22 PM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
You can nail the lid to a tree and then cut the bottom off!!!

I support Cap and Trade - Cap our spending and Trade Obama

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Re: What's a good attractant to bring in deer? [Re: Seadog] #3739534 11/09/12 02:31 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted By: Seadog

or screw the lid to a feeder leg and cut the bottom off.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: What's a good attractant to bring in deer? [Re: kmon11] #3739605 11/09/12 02:46 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Cmere deer corn coat

Re: What's a good attractant to bring in deer? [Re: SapperTitan] #3739649 11/09/12 02:57 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
I generally don't believe in scent stuff.
But, peanut butter has worked for me in the past

This year we tried some Deer Golden Nuggets.
Put out via a road feeder on the truck and holy crap it works..
It is 15 bucks a bag, so, more than corn but at least on our lease it absolutely works. Has a berry scent we can smell fron a distance if downwind..

Our lease provides the corn, protein and that stuff.
Well, the cost is all tied in with the lease payment.
But, I can grab what I need.

We had two spots and the deer came out of the woods and were hitting that stuff hard..

We go in before a hunt and spread the stuff out in strategic spots and then wait.

Re: What's a good attractant to bring in deer? [Re: ccoker] #3739692 11/09/12 03:07 PM
W
WhitetailProperties Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Food plots are really hard to beat if you are in a place that can provide good nutrition and moisture. Whitetail Institute makes a blend called "Extreme" that grows great almost anywhere in Texas.

Big & J makes a great attractant that many of our guys have been really successful with.

Try them and report back!

www.whitetailproperties.com
Want to work for Whitetail Properties Real Estate?
Send resume/cover letter to texascareer@whitetailproperties.com
Re: What's a good attractant to bring in deer? [Re: Seadog] #3740346 11/09/12 06:20 PM
N
no-guts-no-glory Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: Seadog

Okay. I'm going to try using peanut butter, and I will set up a game camera to see if the deer are interested.

Re: What's a good attractant to bring in deer? [Re: no-guts-no-glory] #3741524 11/10/12 12:59 AM
S
senko86 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: no-guts-no-glory
they love that stuff
best of luck to ya

Peanut butter??? How do you feed peanut butter to deer? Are you rubbing peanut butter on a tree or setting the jar on the ground?
deer love peanut butter... The hate cinnamon

Re: What's a good attractant to bring in deer? [Re: senko86] #3742078 11/10/12 04:46 AM
D
destroyer4570 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
Thanks to all who posted, I will definetly try some of the suggestions mentioned here. I heard about the peanut butter trick before, I think that seems easy enough. I think I will put out a jar or two next time I go out to my place. Again thanks for all of your replies, I really appreciate the suggestions.

Re: What's a good attractant to bring in deer? [Re: destroyer4570] #3754019 11/14/12 03:10 AM
B
Budge Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I read this post last week and decided to try peanut butter this past weekend. I bought the cheapest can Walmart had, heated it for one minute in the microwave, then took it out to my feeder and poured it over a mineral block. I had no deer on my camera for two prior, but had 3 deer come in that same night. I think it works. Thanks.

Re: What's a good attractant to bring in deer? [Re: Budge] #3754366 11/14/12 04:33 AM
T
tag saver Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted By: Budge
I read this post last week and decided to try peanut butter this past weekend. I bought the cheapest can Walmart had, heated it for one minute in the microwave, then took it out to my feeder and poured it over a mineral block. I had no deer on my camera for two prior, but had 3 deer come in that same night. I think it works. Thanks.

deer love alot of things , but i aint seen nothin much better than peanuts / peanut butter .....if you aint got catlle issues try them smaller 1/2 inch diameter range cubes .....they eat fire out of them also

Re: What's a good attractant to bring in deer? [Re: tag saver] #3754392 11/14/12 04:41 AM
B
Budge Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
if you aint got catlle issues try them smaller 1/2 inch diameter range cubes .....they eat fire out of them also

range cubes?

Re: What's a good attractant to bring in deer? [Re: Budge] #3754514 11/14/12 05:53 AM
T
tag saver Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
yes sir ....i feed em to deer all the time .....
got a ton of pictures with em like cigars in them mouths .....
and the locals told me they wont eat them ....
i told the guys at the feed store i thunk the deer was eatin cube....
told me i was crazy deer didnt eat em .....
the lil 1/2 dia. / horse version are best , but they will chow down on the big 3/4 inch cattle size also

Re: What's a good attractant to bring in deer? [Re: tag saver] #3754518 11/14/12 05:55 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Short skirts will bring in the bucks

Re: What's a good attractant to bring in deer? [Re: SapperTitan] #3756648 11/14/12 10:22 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Do feed stores carry any type of peanut product? seems like I saw someone on here using peanut "paste" or something a while back, didn't know if u could get peanut meal or some kind of mix with peanuts.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide