Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lessons Learned #3618974 09/30/12 06:40 PM
O
OrangeShogun Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
O
Mods, not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this post, if not please move it to the appropriate location.
Wanted to share a recent experience with an outfitter and some lessons learned. I won't identify the specific outfitter in this post, anyone interested can PM me for that info.
Back in mid July, I booked a combo dove and hog hunt (three hunters) for the weekend of Sept. 28 & 29. Plan was to hunt dove the evening of the 28th, hogs that night, then dove again the evening of the 29th.
The outfitter's description of their dove hunting operation: "32 fields to hunt this year, all are MANAGED for doves. We have planted corn, sorghum, sesame, and sunflowers for the birds. The fields are set up to be attractive to doves. We will be hunting our milo, corn, hybrid sunflowers, and millet fields."
The outfitters description of their hog hunting operation: "TONS of hogs hitting the feeders and grain fields this time of year. We have had a 100% success rate on either a shot opportunity or kill on our hog hunts the past month. Guys we are covered up with hogs right now! We have not put any pressure on the hogs in 2 months. Our feeders are going off 3 times a day and the pigs are visiting them at each setting. Our grain fields have been loaded with hogs in the evenings! We are covered up with hogs! Seeing pigs on every hunt, don't miss out on the action."
Our group arrived the afternoon of the 28th, met our guide and proceeded out to the dove fields. The initial field was right off the county road and was nothing more than a basic, random pasture. No corn, no grain, no sunflowers, nothing that might attract birds. As one would expect, very few birds at this field. Our guide did show us another field about ¼” mile away that was located diagonally to a cut grain field. We did see some birds flying into the grain field, but unfortunately we didn’t have access to that field.
Okay not a very good dove hunt, but maybe it was the weather, etc., etc., etc. On to the hog hunt!
From the dove field we proceeded directly across the county road to a cut corn field. No stands, no lights, no feeders, just a cut corn field. So there we were, three hunters, sitting in the bed of our truck, in the dark, scouring an empty field with binocs. So I ask our guide, with three hunters, how does this work? I mean, how would three hunters have a reasonable opportunity for success while hunting out of the exact same location? If hogs appear, do they stay around and allow for multiple shots? Do multiple groups typically visit the field? My guides response, “No, once a shot is taken, that’s pretty much it for the night. I guess you could all shoot at the same hog.” Uh, what? WTF kind of BS strategy is that? Three hunters, but at best only one opportunity for success? Well, we didn’t have to worry about that scenario as you guessed it, no hogs.
Lessons Learned:
• Require your outfitter/guide to be very clear as to the means of how the hunt will take place.
• Request references.
• Don’t believe the hype.

Re: Lessons Learned [Re: OrangeShogun] #3618994 09/30/12 06:46 PM
O
Otto Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
Thanks for posting this. I already sent you a pm.
Everybody should share experiences like this so they can go out of business and don't get anybodies hard earned money.

Re: Lessons Learned [Re: OrangeShogun] #3618998 09/30/12 06:49 PM
Cody Malone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'm sorry to hear about your poor experience..

This is not the norm but it does happen.

People sharing these types of things are what hunters need to make sure they don't get "robbed" because in my mind that's what it is.

Get photos of Feilds, stands and animals
References are good

HF Whitetail / Exotic / S. African Safaris

Proudly Sponsored by:
Horizon Firearms / Swarovski Optiks / Under Armour / Yeti Coolers / Costa Del Mar / Havalon Knives

Malone Outdoors, LLC
C/254-722-9031 or E/ maloneoutdoors@yahoo.com
Re: Lessons Learned [Re: Cody Malone] #3619105 09/30/12 07:38 PM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
That sux. I think i know who the outfitter might be, so ill send you a PM

Re: Lessons Learned [Re: chital_shikari] #3619126 09/30/12 07:48 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Any idiot redneck without a job and access to some land can call himself an outfitter or guide and take your money. It doesn't really make him one though.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Live and learn.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Lessons Learned [Re: LandPirate] #3619652 09/30/12 11:12 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Sorry to hear of your bad expierence. Please don't categorize us all as bad. This kinda gives us a black eye. There are a few who will do this, sorry to say. Just cause the place is in south Texas doesn't mean it's prime for dove and hogs. I know who the so called outfitter is just by your description. A good way to know what your getting is to ask THF members who have been and their thoughts on booking. Best of luck.

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Lessons Learned [Re: 7mag] #3619751 09/30/12 11:38 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
I would be pretty ticked about that ordeal. Sorry for your experience

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Lessons Learned [Re: 7mag] #3619764 09/30/12 11:43 PM
J
joedav31 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Not trying to start anything, but why wouldn't you post the outfitter in order to help a potential fellow hunter.... It will at least give him insight.

Re: Lessons Learned [Re: joedav31] #3619817 10/01/12 12:04 AM
O
OrangeShogun Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
O
joe,

Because the big picture lesson I'm attempting to share is to be diligent in researching/qualifying all outfitters and guides, not just to out this one in particular.

Re: Lessons Learned [Re: OrangeShogun] #3619900 10/01/12 12:29 AM
J
joedav31 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I respect that. My only thought was that you may be surprised how many people use the search feature as an informative tool to research/qualify outfitters. Just a thought. Hate you had a bad hunt tho buddy.. Hope your season turns around. Best of luck.

Re: Lessons Learned [Re: joedav31] #3619970 10/01/12 12:48 AM
C
Circleb41 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
It's not hard to figure out the outfitter if you read other recent posts

Re: Lessons Learned [Re: Circleb41] #3620030 10/01/12 01:07 AM
B
BaffinBoy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I hunted with this outfitter last January, took a doe and a hog quite easily. Saw alot of game, hunted out of a blind, not out of my truck bed. Don't know what happened OrangeShogun? Wierd?

Re: Lessons Learned [Re: BaffinBoy] #3620246 10/01/12 01:50 AM
S
simonb Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
I hunted with this "outfitter" as we'll, didn't see jack. Thing that really got me upset was that the guy was screwing around on his phone the whole time. Not all hunts are successful and I understand that I would just expect profesionalism and if nothing else try to represent your self as a professional in order to gain repeat business.

Re: Lessons Learned [Re: simonb] #3621235 10/01/12 01:27 PM
S
STXHO Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I was that outfitter. I cannot control the birds neither can I control how the hogs move. I can give you some phone numbers to a few guys that have hunted that field for hogs and they can tell you about their hunt. The field Trevor moved you into following the dove hunt is one that we have been seeing hogs in regularly. Before the hog hunt I informed you of how you would be hunting. I would not have took your money and put you in a field if I did not think you were going to have a good hunt and for reasons as such as you getting on a forum and bashing my guiding service.

If you were upset with the hunt you should have said something.

LET IT BE KNOWN TO THE FORUM.. This guy was given a dove hunt at half price. How are you going to complain about a dove hunt that is already half price?? Saturday morning I called him to see how his hunt was. I received no answer, that would have been a good time for him to let me know it sucked and I would have made it right.

Let it also be know that he did not inform me that he had a bad hunt. If he did I would have refunded his money and made it right.

Shogun I appreciate you trying to let everyone know about your "bad" experience with CPO. I would probably do the same.

Last edited by CoastalPrairieOutfitters; 10/01/12 01:37 PM.
Re: Lessons Learned [Re: STXHO] #3621495 10/01/12 02:43 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
popcorn popcorn popcorn

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Lessons Learned [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #3621507 10/01/12 02:48 PM
S
STXHO Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Also, I think when he described the area he was hunting he forgot to mention the 2,000 acres of cut corn that surrounds the 15 acres of scattered trees. Not to mention the grain Elivator across the road from the patch they were hunting in.. I think it's maybe 200 yards. Also the planted milo that we have adjacent to the elivator.

Re: Lessons Learned [Re: STXHO] #3621687 10/01/12 03:46 PM
S
STXHO Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Ok guys there is more! I just spoke with his guide (Trevor) on the phone. Trevor told me that these guys seemed like try had a good hunt. He said they never once questioned the field or the area they were hog hunting. He told me they talked about hunting again Saturday if the weather was going to hold out. Trevor said they did not complain about having a bad hunt or even act like the hunt "sucked". I asked him if the guys were upset when they left or if they seemed mad during the hunt. He said no they had conversations going the whole time and one guy was on the phone a couple times. He said they made a stalk on a pig but it never stopped walking and they lost it.

I hope this helps clarify things.

Re: Lessons Learned [Re: STXHO] #3621789 10/01/12 04:42 PM
T
Texizona Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
"This guy was given a dove hunt at half price. How are you going to complain about a dove hunt that is already half price??"

Hmm, interesting thought. If you pay half price for something, you are not allowed to complain? I wonder if my clients would agree with that. ---- Somehow I don't think so. ----

Re: Lessons Learned [Re: Texizona] #3621805 10/01/12 04:49 PM
B
BowsnRods Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I am also sorry that this happened! I have always offered to my hunters a trip to the ranch prior to season to see the lay out of the ranch,the blinds that we will be hunting and recent game camera pictures. It just takes one bad post for an outfitter/guide to change the whole outlook of a hunting season.

Re: Lessons Learned [Re: BowsnRods] #3621920 10/01/12 05:21 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
After having heard the other side, I'd like to know if OrangeShogun made any attempt to resolve the issue with his outfitter.

I know when I'm not happy with a service I'll give the provider every opportunity to make good on it. If that fails then you torpedo them.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Lessons Learned [Re: joedav31] #3621963 10/01/12 05:34 PM
T
temmi Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Please share the name of the "outfitter"

Cause we should all know

I share the name of ours good or bad

Snake

Re: Lessons Learned [Re: temmi] #3621985 10/01/12 05:42 PM
S
STXHO Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Coastal Prairie Outfitters

He did not. If you would read my posts you would see that.
By saying how can you complain about a half price hunt I meant that it was already discounted and I cannot control the birds. You guys are a tough crowd. I do not appreciate those of you who are adding in your two cents about negative things. Like I said before, THIS IS THE FIRST TIME ANYONE HAS COMPLAINED ABOUT MY GUIDING SERVICE.

Obviously we are reputable if I am hosted on radio shows, and I was just featured in a story in the Caller Times. I can provide several references and many of them are from guys on the forum. It's sad how guys on here just like to instigate things and add in their opinion. I thought we were all adults...

Re: Lessons Learned [Re: STXHO] #3622038 10/01/12 05:58 PM
O
OrangeShogun Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
O
"Given a dove hunt at half price"? Not quite. The $50 per hunter fee for an evening (half day) hunt was what we discussed and agreed upon when I booked the hunt. If you can't remember the agreed upon details perhaps you should take notes. I should have known something was up with you when you tried to change the price right before the hunt. Furthermore, if a hunt sucks, it sucks, regardless of if it cost $50, $100 or $1000. Of course, I guess I shouldn't complain, you only screwed us out of half your normal fee.
I fully realize you can't control the birds. You can, however control where you place your hunters. According to your report on another thread, your other dove hunters did great. If this is true, why weren't we hunting those fields? If there were better fields in such close proximity (as you describe above) why weren't we moved to those fields? In fact, why weren't we hunting those fields to begin with instead of the empty pasture you had us in?
Does your guide not provide you with a status report? Maybe he does but considers four birds between three hunters a good hunt. BTW that was four birds killed out of seven total shot opportunities. Yes, depending on the weather, we considered trying again the next day but decided we'd rather not donate the cost of another "bargain half priced hunt".
Before the hog hunt you stated the means of hunting would be either a) hunting out of stands over feeders, b) safari style or c) over baited corn fields. Instead, we sat side by side on our tailgate in an empty cut corn field. BTW, your guide told us you don't even have feeders going this time of year. Might have been nice to know that ahead of time.
I was there with my sons and a good friend, of course we're going to talk and attempt to enjoy each others company. As far as the phantom hog, well, let's just say Trevor was the only one to "spot" it and a track was never cut, so...
As an outfitter do you honestly believe three hunters have a realistic opportunity for success while hunting side by side in the exact same location? Seems to me at best only one of the three would have an opportunity. I eagerly await your response.

Re: Lessons Learned [Re: OrangeShogun] #3622094 10/01/12 06:14 PM
O
OrangeShogun Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
O
LandPirate,

As I stated in the original post, if someone wanted to know the identity of the outfitter they could PM me. The intent was to share the lesson I learned about being diligent in researching/qualifying outfitters and guides.
I did not identify CPO as the outfitter. He did that himself.
I've been on lots of hunts with varying degrees of success. Unless they're mentally deficient, the guide/outfitter fully recognizes when his hunt sucked. The usual lip service is "come back next time and I'll make it better." With these guys, no thanks.

Re: Lessons Learned [Re: OrangeShogun] #3622104 10/01/12 06:16 PM
O
OrangeShogun Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
O
LET IT BE KNOWN TO THE FORUM: Coastal Prairie Outfitters is prone to extreme exaggeration.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide