Print Thread
kayak & Canoe outfitting for hunting #3526443 08/30/12 02:54 AM
T
TexasEd Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Not much I can find on the internet about how you outfit a canoe or Kayak for hunting but I imagine that it could add up and needs to be in my budget.

I'm down to a couple of options so I need to figure this out before I buy.

Are lights required? If nothing else I imagine it is a good idea. I already have a pair of hand held flood lights but I'm talking about marker lights for the boat. What kinds of solutions do you guys have on your boats?

Flotation, do you use regular life preservers or the inflatable ones?

Do you put shells in dry boxes or just a blind bag?

what kind of paddle do you use?
how many of you have a trolling motor setup?

I'm sure there are other things you could let me in on.

Re: kayak & Canoe outfitting for hunting [Re: TexasEd] #3526781 08/30/12 04:58 AM
H
HardWired Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
You need a 360degree light. A simple clamp on runs about $30.

I never used to wear a pfd but whatever you are comfortable with I suppose. Some have back rests built in which could be nice.

I always just used a blind bag, but I did have a dry box or bag for keys, wallet, etc.

There are a ton of options. Try browsing www.austinkayak.com.

Re: kayak & Canoe outfitting for hunting [Re: HardWired] #3526854 08/30/12 06:24 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
From the TPWD Canoeing and Kayaking brochure.
State and federal laws require paddlers to have:
• A personal flotation device for each person
• An efficient sound-signaling device (an approved
whistle would suffice)
• A white-light source visible from360 degrees if paddling
in reduced visibility or fromsunset to sunrise

I installed a scotty rod holder on the back of my main kayak and use this light. It has been pretty much indestructable.
http://www.austinkayak.com/products/488/Scotty-Sea-Light.html

I consider my dog whistle my signaling device.

I wear a life preserver designed for kayaks that will not ride up on you when sitting down and free range of motion of my arms.
Several examples and styles on that austin kayak site.

In my bigger boats I have used a dry box. I like to have along a small to medium dry bag. Dozens of styles and sizes. I use a clear one because it is a whole lot easier to find small things you might throw in there. I put things like my keys, wallet, extra cloths, food, camera, and extra ammo. Anything I absolutely do not want to get wet.
http://www.austinkayak.com/products/889/NRS-Dri-Stow-Transparent-Dry-Bag-XSmall.html

I have a two piece double blade for the kayak with a paddle leash. Single paddle or double blade in the Canoe. I usually carry a spare single blade in the canoe. Talk to someone where you buy your boat about the proper length for your style and width of boat.

A trolling motor makes your boat a motor boat in the eyes of TPWD no matter the size. You then have to register it, apply the tx numbers to it, and if running at night add the red green lights to the front as well. My canoe is registered and is run on rare occasions with anywhere from a trolling motor to a 5 hp gas motor. But it is not worth it just to be able to use a trolling motor IMHO.

Re: kayak & Canoe outfitting for hunting [Re: Sniper John] #3527007 08/30/12 11:50 AM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
If you want rigging ideas, go to www.texaskayakfisherman.com there's a hunting section. It's a free site too. If there isn't a sticky, just ask and they will post up pictures of their rigs.

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: kayak & Canoe outfitting for hunting [Re: RayB] #3527386 08/30/12 02:11 PM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Dry bags are awesome, I use them to put a spare set of clothes in. Not a whole set mind you, but a spare base layer, warm hat. If I were to have a wet emergency, I would have very warm, dry clothes to change into.

Dry boxes, like Pelican boxes, are awesome for just the few things you have that absolutely must float, and be dry, like your keys, wallet, cell phone. I could do like John and use a small dry bag for this, but Walmart has a dry box for ~ $10 in their camping section.

Since I have a sit on top I have internal storage in the hull, I put my blind bag in there rather than repack it for kayak trips. Keep my spare clothes down there too.

Everything either floats or is tied down. Of course tied down anymore means a carabiner lashing my dry box to a rigging anchor on the kayak. I mean, time and simplicity is of the essence in the cold and dark.

Re: kayak & Canoe outfitting for hunting [Re: Dave Speer] #3540803 09/04/12 04:28 PM
T
TexasEd Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
John,

I may have found a used Predator K140 to buy. How well does yours paddle?

I also sent you a link in a PM.

Ed

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide