Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Aransas Pass National Wildlife Refuge #3483736 08/17/12 12:05 PM
JWBIGBUCKHUNTER Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
So I booked a hunt in Aransas National Wildlife Refuge. Anyone hunt this area before? Got any tips? Got any pics of animals harvested?

Re: Aransas Pass National Wildlife Refuge [Re: JWBIGBUCKHUNTER] #3484061 08/17/12 02:20 PM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Booked a hunt? The hunts there are open to the public, there is a small use fee, but anyone can hunt there. From what I hear from locals in the area (I have a house just north across the bay), it used to be very popular and the open slots filled up - but now not so much. I know of one guy who just shows up whenever and he says he always gets to hunt.

The area is VERY thick bush. Shots will be probably 50-75 yards. There's a lot of deer in there, but finding a big one can be tough. But there's some whoppers there. Some of the biggest deer I have ever seen have been eating the farm fields outside Austwell.

Bring lots of military grade insest repellant. They moscas will pick up and fly away with a thermocell!!

The public hunting is a first-come, first-serve basis. You need to get there early the day before and stake out your area with flags. You are required to stay in your area, and check-in and check-out with the rangers.

And BTW, I think it is illegal for an outfitter to operate in the WMA and charge for hunts. In other words, an outfitter/guide cannot make a reservation or flag an area and bring in other person to hunt it. It must be the individual that applies for the permit and pays the fee that is the hunter.

The WMA has a fine website that explains all the process and rules, but you probably have already been to it.

BTW, the rut happens very early there. Probably in the next 2-3 weeks.

Re: Aransas Pass National Wildlife Refuge [Re: John Humbert] #3484421 08/17/12 04:06 PM
JWBIGBUCKHUNTER Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
I meant bought a permit (booked/bought).

Re: Aransas Pass National Wildlife Refuge [Re: JWBIGBUCKHUNTER] #3485315 08/17/12 08:46 PM
B
BurrOak Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
You will never encounter as many skeeters in your life as you will at Aransas Wildlife Refuge. A thermocell is a must. But that aint going to help you when your walking around.

Went 2 years ago, and no one in our group killed anything, but we still had a good time. It was incredibly warm and humid, but there were a few smaller bucks and few hogs killed.

As far as a specific place to hunt, the more successful hunters brought in their own portable tripods and treestands, and there was definitely a rush to get a good spot on any of the pipeline easements/ROWs. I brought a climber with me, and was able to find about one tree on the whole place that I could use that was in a decent area. I had a spot that was loaded with sign, but saw nothing but a bobcat.

Good Luck

Re: Aransas Pass National Wildlife Refuge [Re: JWBIGBUCKHUNTER] #3485764 08/17/12 11:13 PM
F
fishhuntgolfgeek Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Yup..I've hunted it several times long ago before it was 1st come 1st served. Mosquitoes for sure, alligators in ponds, and good luck staking out an area before others. Get a tall tripod stand. Hogs also. I shot a small boar. Saw some nice bucks harvested, but, I don't know how the current population of deer is right now. It's been about 10yrs since I hunted there. Most of the locals stake out the cut clearways. There was an area that opened up to a big field on the e/ne side that I hunted. Good area to watch. Saw an old man shoot a 10pt near the road. Couldn't believe he did because of the road traffic in/out. He just set up about 50yds in and started rattling. Buck came running at him he said. GOD had a plan for him that day I guess. Not sure about the post of rut occurring early there. I've heard it's always late because of temps down there are warmer than usual. I could be wrong.

Last edited by fishhuntgolfgeek; 08/17/12 11:19 PM.

Live Free or Die...
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide