Print Thread
GSP Constipation #3076724 03/09/12 01:53 PM
H
hntnfsh Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
H
HELP!! My 10 yr old GSP is having a constipation problem. Poor guy couldnt go all day yesterday, kept me up most of the night last night needing to go out...He keeps trying but no go...
Still has his appetite...Gave him a teasoon of virgin olive oil this morning with his food, he ate it all..He isnt lethargic or acting in pain or anything like that....he just cant get it out..
Any suggestions....??

Re: GSP Constipation [Re: hntnfsh] #3076796 03/09/12 02:10 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
Here John, I found this online. I hope he gets better. Give him a pat on the head & tell him Jamie & I are thinking about him.

Home Remedies For Dog Constipation

On a lighter note, diet is often a common cause. Your dog may just simply need a little extra fiber. As a home remedy you can try to add one to two teaspoons of regular pumpkin (not pie filling) to its food. This helps keep things moving. Pun intended!

Some people have had success adding some bran to dog food. Others have been adding a sprinkle of Metamucil, however this should be added to canned food only and with plenty of water.

Dogs that are lactose intolerant have benefited from drinking milk or eating dairy products. However, care must be provided in not giving too much or the opposite problem will shortly arise! See Best Home Remedies for Dog Diarrhea below should this occur.

Adding some moisture to dry dog food may help. A few teaspoons of water added to kibble should suffice.

Mineral oil ( 1 tbsp per 10 lbs.) will sometimes relieve the most severe cases of constipation, however administer it only mixed in with food. Do not administer it orally directly such as through a syringe or by placing it on the tongue! Keep in mind as well to use mineral oil sparingly since if used too often it will interfere with proper absorption of vitamins.

Lack of exercise just as in humans is known to slow things down. Provide a good exercise regimen and plenty of water.

Senior dogs can be prone to constipation. Try adding extra fiber or putting your dog on senior diet which contains more fiber. Check labels for fiber contents. Provide always fresh water as senior dogs sometimes do not drink enough. Exercise may help as well, try two short walks a day versus, one long tiring walk.

Some dogs develop obstipation post surgery. This may be a normal occurrence due to the fact that the dog has fasted the night before and is likely to refuse food after wards. Recovery time and pain are other contributing factors. The dog should relieve itself soon as regular diet is re-introduced , pain meds are administered and recovery takes place.

Owners should be aware that dogs with frequent bouts of constipation may become prone to a condition known as Mega colon. This condition is irreversible ( unless surgery is performed) and requires frequent enemas and trips to the vet to manually empty the bowels. This can be painful and very annoying.

It should be therefore, up to the owner's discretion to properly identify a case which can be treated at home from a case that requires immediate vet attention. Constipation can be easily diagnosed by an attentive owner however, successfully diagnosing the underlying cause of constipation is another story.

Any time your dog exhibits a symptom that does not go away, appears unexplainable, and/or is accompanied by other symptoms and pain please drive him at a minimum by a vet or emergency center the same day.

As a regular rule of thumb, use discretion. If something is worrisome do not hesistate to have your dog seen by the vet. In simple words, when in doubt, get on route!

Disclaimer:The above article is not intended as a substitute for the advice of a veterinarian nor is the source to be used as a diagnostic tool as there may be various conditions that may resemble the descriptions provided

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: GSP Constipation [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #3076816 03/09/12 02:14 PM
H
hntnfsh Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
H
Thanks Kevin---Seems the olive oil is working already..took him out a bit ago and he got a little out, somewhat soft/runny but I think he's gonna be OK....

He said hello back to both of you guys....

Re: GSP Constipation [Re: hntnfsh] #3076993 03/09/12 02:56 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
If it doesn't start happening for him you might want to make sure he doesn't have some blockage. Are you missing any hand towels or put mulch in the backyard that he could have eaten.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: GSP Constipation [Re: kindall] #3077065 03/09/12 03:17 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
Anything is possible, but I had this dog for three years & he's not a big chewer at all. And since he has been back with John, I think he is pretty much with someone most of the time. But still, anything is possible. You might want to get him on a higher fiber dog food too.

Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: GSP Constipation [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #3077502 03/09/12 05:21 PM
J
Joel907 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
My GSP eats a bowl of bran with me every morn
I fig I'm old doc tells me to eat high fiber dogs old he needs
More fiber. But the gas the dog has is a killer

If God wanted labs to point he would have gave them a stick
Previous Thread
Index