Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
No Excuses - Snipe Hunt #304535 01/27/08 02:26 AM
Sniper John Online Happy OP
gumshoe
OP Online Happy
gumshoe
Though it was the last weekend of Duck season, Snipe was to be the bird of the day. First I launched my Kayak far up a creek and did some exploring. Had the gun, but was not really hunting yet, just killing time. I paddled to the mouth of the Lake and got a couple neat pictures of the fog from the kayak. I pushed Ducks out a couple times and would hear shots on the Lake a few minutes after, so hopefully I did somebody some good.

Loaded up the Kayak and hit a nearby Dairy Queen for a Burger to go so I would have enough energy to get me through the rest of day. I pulled into the day's first hunting spot to find two Game Wardens waiting. One came over and offered to let me finish my Hamburger before checking me. I let him know I was just waiting on the Duck hunters to be done, then I was heading out for Snipe and Rabbit. I am fairly certain I was the first Snipe hunter he had ever encountered. I had to fill him in on the rules. He looked at my license and wished me luck. Then to my surprise one of the Duck hunters coming out called out "Sniper John"??? It was Nate76. Guess the red Dog gave me away. Always nice to meet another forum member.

Then off I went. This first place had no Snipe unfortunately, so I soon loaded up and moved on to the next place. But before leaving, Blaze found the rarest of Birds. A North Texas Public Hunting Land Quail! Surprised me. At first I thought she was goofing off with a Field Rat, so I did not have the gun up and watched it fly away. It did it's best to bury up and hide, but Blaze had no problem locating it a second time. Only a single, but happy to have got it.

We did find Snipe and Rabbit. I would say over 5 hours of hunting, total flushed game would be, one Quail, three Rabbits, and about ten Snipe. Game taken was only one Snipe, and one Quail. Some I could not pull a shot fast enough, others I flat missed. I did not deserve to have "Sniper" on my name today.

I have no excuses., but if I were to make up excuses.

1. First Rabbit flushed was quartering away in the woods, expecting an easy shot, but in one hop it changed directions about 120 degrees, came right at me and almost hit me with Blaze in tow. I yelled "WAIT" to stop Blaze, spun around as the Rabbit passed and put the most perfect round pattern of shot into the trunk of a big Pecan tree. Mr. Rabbit made it to the Briar Patch and was gone.

2. Second Rabbit was found with us on top of a tank dam. Field below so expected an easy, from above shot, so I took my time . Nope, it disappeared into a den at the base of the Dam. Did I say Dam, yep.

3. Two birds come up. One came up to my Right crossing left, One came up to my Left crossing Right. I picked the Right bird and as I was about to blot it out, the two met and suddenly turned together straight away. I shot way left.

4 Another Snipe comes up right in front of me, flying straight away down the bank. Oh yea, easy shot, but wait, darn Killdeer joins it just as I am about to pull the trigger. It stayed with it, almost touching wingtips until out of range. I aborted the shot of course.

I could go on, but really it just comes down to "I missed them" or could not make the shot. Blaze was not happy with me at all today but we had fun trying.

Re: No Excuses - Snipe [Re: Sniper John] #304536 01/27/08 04:02 AM
S
sig1921 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
sounds like you had a great time

It's not skybusting, if you make the shot.
Re: No Excuses - Snipe [Re: sig1921] #304537 01/27/08 03:55 PM
R
R.G.C. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Sounds like you had a lot more shot opertunities than alot of us.alot of fun playing out in outdoors.
Way to go John sounds like

Re: No Excuses - Snipe [Re: Sniper John] #304538 01/27/08 04:27 PM
N
ndhunter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Nice pics John

I always like pics taken at this time of year. Something about the starkness of the trees contrasted with the water and background lighting kind of remineds me of Ansel Adams stuff.

Maybe we can do a season end duck hunt next year.

Re: No Excuses - Snipe [Re: Sniper John] #304539 01/27/08 06:19 PM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Sounds like you had a great time.

Treebass took me out to a spot for some ducks, unfortunately, no wind, and no birds.

I did get to throw my arm out, trying to pitch a rock into the middle of the pond. He was out and I attempted a side arm under arm, break my arm throw. About LSUed in me waders.

All in all, it was great just to get out.

What are the rules for Snipe? And can you post a pic of your Kayak, thinking of getting one.

[Linked Image]
Re: No Excuses - Snipe [Re: Hopedale] #304540 01/27/08 06:30 PM
S
SillyGoose Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Great Story I really enjoyed it. That third picture looks like the north end of ray roberts but I could be wrong.

Re: No Excuses - Snipe [Re: SillyGoose] #304541 01/27/08 09:03 PM
C
chocolatelabs Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
cool. I think I could really get into snipe hunting, but I just don't seem to have the time. I shot one once and they are fast. That is cool on the quail. Nice to see one around.

Re: No Excuses - Snipe [Re: chocolatelabs] #304542 01/27/08 11:16 PM
R
rj45 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Nice looking dog you got there John. Rocky and I had a little luck on a private tank, 3 Widgeon. Check out the thread "Widgeon wackin".

NRA, DU & DW Member
Re: No Excuses - Snipe [Re: Hopedale] #304543 01/29/08 03:46 PM
gumshoe
OP Online Happy
gumshoe
Quote:

What are the rules for Snipe? And can you post a pic of your Kayak, thinking of getting one.

Hopedale,
Mine is a 14 ft Old Town Predator. I can highly recommend it. It is fast, stable at 31 inches wide. Has room front and aft for gear. With a little ingenuity it makes a great layout blind. I use it fishing at the coast too.

Re: No Excuses - Snipe [Re: Sniper John] #304544 01/29/08 03:50 PM
T
Tx_Phantom Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I thought you're only allowed to hunt snipe with the stick, the bag and the flash light???

Greg/Taco/Husker - this guy shoots little birds, and you don't ride him. I shoot a little squirrel, and I get killed over it... Come on now

Cool pics and story...

Tx_Phantom

Re: No Excuses - Snipe [Re: ndhunter] #304545 01/29/08 03:53 PM
gumshoe
OP Online Happy
gumshoe
Quote:

Nice pics John

I always like pics taken at this time of year. Something about the starkness of the trees contrasted with the water and background lighting kind of remineds me of Ansel Adams stuff.

Maybe we can do a season end duck hunt next year.

Yea man, thought we had a tradition going. We will have to make up for it next year with at least two hunts.

For Ansel Adams I should have taken the pics in Black and White. Hey, that does look better.

Re: No Excuses - Snipe [Re: Sniper John] #304546 01/29/08 03:56 PM
gumshoe
OP Online Happy
gumshoe
Hey, don't you guys ever do any work. I just got off work this morning. I was supposed to be Snipe hunting again today, but with the wind that would really be difficult. It took me an hour to catch up on reading everyones posts in the migratory forum since my last visit.
Now I have to stay home and do honey-dos.

Re: No Excuses - Snipe [Re: Sniper John] #304547 01/29/08 05:09 PM
N
ndhunter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Quote:

Yea man, thought we had a tradition going. We will have to make up for it next year with at least two hunts.

You know I would have if I could have, thanks for the rain check John.

Re: No Excuses - Snipe [Re: Sniper John] #304548 01/29/08 05:52 PM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Thanks.

Also, nice specks!

[Linked Image]
Re: No Excuses - Snipe [Re: Hopedale] #304549 01/29/08 06:21 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Fun times. I saw quite a few snipe while sitting in the duck blind Sunday. I shot at one but missed. Later I was watching one when a hawk flew pretty low close to it and 4 came up from the same spot. I didn't know they were all there lol

[Linked Image]

Re: No Excuses - Snipe [Re: Fooshman] #304550 01/29/08 06:29 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
John,

I was curious as to the rules for shot for snipe hunting. I've always shot them while duck hunting so I've always used steel.

My questions: Can I use lead now that duck season is over and all I'm going for is snipe? Or is steel required for snipe?

[Linked Image]

Re: No Excuses - Snipe [Re: Fooshman] #304551 01/29/08 07:47 PM
gumshoe
OP Online Happy
gumshoe
Some Refuges or WMA's may require steel for all game and some other States require steel for Snipe, but in Texas you can use lead for Snipe.

Re: No Excuses - Snipe [Re: Sniper John] #304552 01/29/08 10:01 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Quote:

Some Refuges or WMA's may require steel for all game and some other States require steel for Snipe, but in Texas you can use lead for Snipe.

Good to hear. Thanks.

[Linked Image]

Re: No Excuses - Snipe [Re: Fooshman] #304553 01/29/08 10:13 PM
T
TexasEd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Here is an OLD article on the art of snipe hunting. It was new to me and may be to others as well. I was disappointed they did not interview John for the article.

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/hunti...hunting_lessons

Re: No Excuses - Snipe Hunt [Re: Sniper John] #304554 01/30/08 01:46 AM
U
udamdan Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Quote:

Though it was the last weekend of Duck season, Snipe was to be the bird of the day. First I launched my Kayak far up a creek and did some exploring. Had the gun, but was not really hunting yet, just killing time. I paddled to the mouth of the Lake and got a couple neat pictures of the fog from the kayak. I pushed Ducks out a couple times and would hear shots on the Lake a few minutes after, so hopefully I did somebody some good.

Loaded up the Kayak and hit a nearby Dairy Queen for a Burger to go so I would have enough energy to get me through the rest of day. I pulled into the day's first hunting spot to find two Game Wardens waiting. One came over and offered to let me finish my Hamburger before checking me. I let him know I was just waiting on the Duck hunters to be done, then I was heading out for Snipe and Rabbit. I am fairly certain I was the first Snipe hunter he had ever encountered. I had to fill him in on the rules. He looked at my license and wished me luck. Then to my surprise one of the Duck hunters coming out called out "Sniper John"??? It was Nate76. Guess the red Dog gave me away. Always nice to meet another forum member.

Then off I went. This first place had no Snipe unfortunately, so I soon loaded up and moved on to the next place. But before leaving, Blaze found the rarest of Birds. A North Texas Public Hunting Land Quail! Surprised me. At first I thought she was goofing off with a Field Rat, so I did not have the gun up and watched it fly away. It did it's best to bury up and hide, but Blaze had no problem locating it a second time. Only a single, but happy to have got it.

We did find Snipe and Rabbit. I would say over 5 hours of hunting, total flushed game would be, one Quail, three Rabbits, and about ten Snipe. Game taken was only one Snipe, and one Quail. Some I could not pull a shot fast enough, others I flat missed. I did not deserve to have "Sniper" on my name today.

I have no excuses., but if I were to make up excuses.

1. First Rabbit flushed was quartering away in the woods, expecting an easy shot, but in one hop it changed directions about 120 degrees, came right at me and almost hit me with Blaze in tow. I yelled "WAIT" to stop Blaze, spun around as the Rabbit passed and put the most perfect round pattern of shot into the trunk of a big Pecan tree. Mr. Rabbit made it to the Briar Patch and was gone.

2. Second Rabbit was found with us on top of a tank dam. Field below so expected an easy, from above shot, so I took my time . Nope, it disappeared into a den at the base of the Dam. Did I say Dam, yep.

3. Two birds come up. One came up to my Right crossing left, One came up to my Left crossing Right. I picked the Right bird and as I was about to blot it out, the two met and suddenly turned together straight away. I shot way left.

4 Another Snipe comes up right in front of me, flying straight away down the bank. Oh yea, easy shot, but wait, darn Killdeer joins it just as I am about to pull the trigger. It stayed with it, almost touching wingtips until out of range. I aborted the shot of course.

I could go on, but really it just comes down to "I missed them" or could not make the shot. Blaze was not happy with me at all today but we had fun trying.

Awesome John Thanks for sharing

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide