Forums46
Topics539,875
Posts9,755,207
Members87,193
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: someone explain the logic in this. [Re: Erathkid] #3022342 02/17/12 03:11 PM
K
kamolaw Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Kids are our future and need to be involved in the outdoors as much as possible,but, you can't just give them the keys to the car,or put them on a 4 wheeler and sit back and think "Oh,they'll be fine". We've already been sued once for a 4 wheeler accident, a case we lost. Kids aren't allowed on them unsupervised. One bad apple spoils the whole bunch,unfortunately.

And there you have it...Hate to hear stories like this from landowners and wish all Dad's would be "DAD" not just a title...because some won't be a parent and supervise/control thier offspring(train them up in the way they should go...) we all have a more difficult time finding a good hunting property for all to enjoy but we cant blame the landowners.

I dont shoot innocent animals...only the ones that bare thier teeth at me... Semper Fi
Re: someone explain the logic in this. [Re: kamolaw] #3022440 02/17/12 03:40 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Well mine will be 17 this next season and IMHO he is at the age he is no longer a youth who hunts off of my spot/tags. I will help him pay a spot on the lease or we can do a couple of outfitted hunts but I am glad I no longer have to have that concern lease hunting.

And another point is safety. I quit dove hunting with a friend who got his two kids involved. It was his land and some years were great hunting but most were mediocre. We always had a good time camping and eating though. Then came his kids with guns. Sitting in camp with the kids walking around with loaded guns, getting swept by the muzzles constantly and dad not doing anything to control or fix it was too dangerous for me. I miss hunting with him but I couldn't do it anymore so I don't dove hunt with him.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: someone explain the logic in this. [Re: passthru] #3023844 02/18/12 01:04 AM
S
SplitTimeHunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I have never been on a lease where the landowner did not allow children. Its always been encouraged by them. But I have been on leases where the Camp Boss had his own rules against kids in camp. So it's not always the landowner. That being said, there are alot of places in South Texas that I wouldn't take my kids. Too many run-ins with illegals.

Re: someone explain the logic in this. [Re: txtrophy85] #3024344 02/18/12 04:16 AM
B
Bear Charge Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
landpirate makes a good point.

some folks take their hunting more seriously than others, i know when i was a kid, after the morning hunt, we would get on our four wheelers and drive all over the ranch. looking back now, it would aggrevate the you know what outta me if I was on a lease and someones kids were out doing that.

some people have great kids.....but some have pos kids, so unfortunatly you have to make a catch all-rule. can't go around interviewing every dad and his kid for the lease

There are no POS kids. POS parents...yes. We encourage kids. If a kid messes up, his/her parents are the problem...not the kid.

"Democracy is a sheep and two lions voting. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote."
Ben Franklin
Re: someone explain the logic in this. [Re: Bear Charge] #3025410 02/18/12 08:04 PM
M
millerliteliker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I don't mind hunting with kids (I have three boys so I have plenty of experience hunting and fishing with kids!). What I do hate is hunting with adults who ACT like kids - at least kids on alcohol binges.

I drink beer and have nothing against it,but I have taken friends hunting on my property and had them get so sloppy drunk that they can't even get their but out of bed in the morning.

Kids - I'll take them any day over some of the "adults" I have hunted with.

BTW - I am a SERIOUS bow hunter so maybe I have a little lower tolerance for camp shenanigans like I used to in my younger years.

Mathews Z7 Bow for Whitetail and Hogs
Remington R-15 .223 REM for predators
I also like to "hunt" sporting clays with my Benelli SuperSport!
Re: someone explain the logic in this. [Re: millerliteliker] #3025530 02/18/12 08:58 PM
donswin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
One of the biggest reasons I got a lease was to introduce my grandkids to hunting. Teaching them to hunt, clean game, and shooting safety has been very rewarding for the entire family.

From the landowner's viewpoint, the only objection I can see is an out of control pre-teen on an ATV tearing up his pasture. But that would get you ejected from most leases without a refund & rightfully so.

Re: someone explain the logic in this. [Re: donswin] #3026323 02/19/12 02:53 AM
T
tightlines24 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
It is sad kids are not allowed on some leases but I believe it is a direct reflection of the adult. I have seen plenty of young people I would not want to be anywhere around me when I am hunting. Funny thing is, I can't stand their parents either. My dad started taking me from the very beginning. He taught me to respect others and the game. If I would have done anything that would have annoyed him,others,the game, or the land he would have worn my tail out. My kids now get the same treatment. My kids will not be a nuisance to anyone without suffering severe punishment and they know that. Also, my kids love going to the lease more tahn anything else they do.

Re: someone explain the logic in this. [Re: tightlines24] #3027613 02/19/12 07:57 PM
H
HuntingCFP Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Keep looking, there are some places out there that will. My Dad tought me the proper way to hunt and be around guns at a very young age. Killed my first deer at the age of 7 and now I am only 20, still pretty young, but I have quite a few years under my belt. I hope you find a place because letting youth hunt and getting them interested in the sport will let us continue to hunt. Happy hunting.

Randall White, CFP�

Morgan Stanley
Financial Advisor
Re: someone explain the logic in this. [Re: HuntingCFP] #3028036 02/19/12 10:16 PM
N
notamtchance Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
N
I will always hunt with my kids. When I posted this question I was not downing anyone person, but it looks like it hit a little to choose to home for some. I can honestly say I will never join a lease that does not allow kids. That being said, I also would not sit there and not allow mine or anyone one else's kids to get out of control with out saying something. Land owners and lease managers can and have kicked people off the lease with no refunds. And if you don't control your child then you can be kicked off your lease, or from that point on not bring your kids out anymore. And that can be in the lease contact. For the land owners, I am the first to say it is your land and you should be able to do whatever you want or don't want to do with it. I'mjust saying I don't get the logic in it.

If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Re: someone explain the logic in this. [Re: notamtchance] #3028214 02/19/12 10:56 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
The logic is "IT IS THEIR LAND" and they can do whatever they want to do. If they want to lease it to nothing but children it is their choice. If they want to only lease it only to women that is their choice. If they only want to lease it to men over 60 that is their choice. That is the logic.

Re: someone explain the logic in this. [Re: Chief Joe] #3028328 02/19/12 11:25 PM
U
USMCatfish Offline
Tracker
Tracker
U
I have met landowners that say no kids and when I asked him how are the children of the future suppose to learn how to hunt, he kinda stopped me and said lawsuits is what changed him to redo his rules.

That is why I will never leave the lease I am on...Our land owner leaves it to us to what we shoot. If we want to bring our kids then bring them. If they are big enough to shoot deer, turkey, quail, or dove let them shoot. All he ask is that we take care of his property which we try to go beyond his expectations, and when ever we see him we will give him a hand with what ever needs to be done.(mending fences, fixing cattle pens, or just sitting down with him and talking)

Granted we might not see a lot of deer or shooters, but the time out there and what we are able to do is AWESOME. Plus for what we pay for the 1400 acres is another BLESSING.

Re: someone explain the logic in this. [Re: don k] #3028544 02/20/12 12:39 AM
N
notamtchance Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: don k
The logic is "IT IS THEIR LAND" and they can do whatever they want to do. If they want to lease it to nothing but children it is their choice. If they want to only lease it only to women that is their choice. If they only want to lease it to men over 60 that is their choice. That is the logic.

Don k, First off I did say I am a firm believer in you should be able to do what ever you want to with your land. So you did not have to take offence and get your under shorts in a wad and shout " IT IS THIER LAND " . And if you didn't know that typing all capital letters is considered shouting now you do. I am not trying to get under yours or anyone else's skin. If saying something like I just don't get the logic gets you or anyone else offended then maybe you or they should ask yourselves why. Because it is just my personal opinion .

Last edited by notamtchance; 02/20/12 03:56 AM.

Re: someone explain the logic in this. [Re: notamtchance] #3028754 02/20/12 01:55 AM
T
tractorred Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
LIABILITY, KIDS CANNOT SIGN A RELEASE AND THE PARENT CANNOT SIGN ONE FOR THEM.

Re: someone explain the logic in this. [Re: tractorred] #3029187 02/20/12 03:50 AM
N
notamtchance Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
N
You might want to check on that again tractorred. A parent signs for release of liability for their kids all the time . What do you think they sign, before any sergery on their child. Also, before they can shoot at any gun range, go on any school trips, or scouting trips. Think about it before you try to answer any questions. It just doesn't make you look any smarter. Especially when shouting in writing. If you do not believe me, just ask you lawyer.

Last edited by notamtchance; 02/20/12 04:03 AM.

Re: someone explain the logic in this. [Re: notamtchance] #3029237 02/20/12 04:09 AM
T
tractorred Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Does not make any difference, kid gets hurt landowner gets sued.

Re: someone explain the logic in this. [Re: notamtchance] #3029246 02/20/12 04:11 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
I guess I am one of the few that can see both sides to this.

On one side, I will always have a lease that allows kids and encourages kids. I want my kids to grow up in that environment and have the same opportunities and experiences that I did and I hope they will have fond memories of going to the lease with dad. I agree that the kids are our future and we should do everything we can to encourage more to get in the field.

On the other hand, there are places that just aren't kid friendly. Some are because of the drunk, loud, rowdy hunters that want to party. Other leases are set up for very serious hunters only. Other leases might just be a group of single guys that have a place to "get away" and don't want to deal with other peoples kids.

Different people are looking for different things. The market will reflect that and I think that the owner/manager has every right to impose whatever rules he thinks best fits his place.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: someone explain the logic in this. [Re: tractorred] #3029254 02/20/12 04:13 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: tractorred
Does not make any difference, kid gets hurt landowner gets sued.

Adult gets hurt, landowner gets sued. You think that piece of paper will save them? It will be a very small part of the lawsuit.

Many people don't realize the liability that a landowner faces.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: someone explain the logic in this. [Re: txshntr] #3029463 02/20/12 06:42 AM
N
notamtchance Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
N
This is getting out of hand. I think everyone has the right to stipulate what ever rules they want on their land or if they represent the land owner as the lease manager. I was just stating my honest opinion. I was not looking for a fight with anyone. I however, was just stating that I didn't understand why anyone would not want kids to have the opportunity to hunt with their parent. As long as the parent kept them in check.

Last edited by notamtchance; 02/20/12 07:01 AM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide