C
crouch Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Originally Posted By: RICK O'SHAY
Originally Posted By: scot
so we agree Coyotes are still legal without a license?

NO we don't !

Add another that doesn't agree. At some of the predator contests the GW shows up and checks licenses. It isn't for hos entertainment, it is to find game law violations and that includes not having a license.
No sir, I won't get caught, I have a license and am also a State Trooper so I know what I can and can't do and I also know what I read when I read it as far as what is stated in the game law book.

Re: Pig license ??? [Re: crouch] #3015461 02/15/12 04:15 AM
J
jdw Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
you guys need to be on dr. phil

Re: Pig license ??? [Re: crouch] #3015464 02/15/12 04:15 AM
C
crouch Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: crouch
[quote=scot]so we agree Coyotes are still legal without a license?

NO we don't !

Add another that doesn't agree. At some of the predator contests the GW shows up and checks licenses. It isn't for hos entertainment, it is to find game law violations and that includes not having a license.

I never said anything about a predator contest, if they are attacking or have attacked your livestock and what not, you can shoot them without having a license as also stated on page 25 if you take the time to read it!!

Re: Pig license ??? [Re: crouch] #3015501 02/15/12 04:24 AM
J
jdw Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
did somebody fart?

Re: Pig license ??? [Re: crouch] #3015541 02/15/12 04:34 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Ask TP&W, maybe you can get them to correct it before next year. up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Pig license ??? [Re: jdw] #3015910 02/15/12 01:04 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: jdw
stop the the bickering and debating, and just get damn license. you guys sound like a bunch of school girls.

rofl but...but...but.

Re: Pig license ??? [Re: skinnerback] #3015934 02/15/12 01:19 PM
B
Bob in TX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Geeez!

Unless you are the land owner, get a license...period.

Anything else is just asking for trouble.

All these "depredation" posts and rationalizations are just trying to talk someone into going around the law and pull a fast one, nothing more.

I think it is irresponsible to encourage someone to hunt without a valid license.

Park your egos. Most of us can read the book. A LOT of us have many years of ACTUAL experience with this issue in the field, not just the keyboard.

The Texas Predator Posse
NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member

Re: Pig license ??? [Re: crouch] #3016249 02/15/12 03:16 PM
P
porkysnightmare Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
How about just go buy a license....its cheap enough and you won't have to deal with anything else...murder, kill, harvest anything and everything yall see...that's in season smile

Re: Pig license ??? [Re: porkysnightmare] #3016608 02/15/12 04:55 PM
TurkeyHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
It's amazing sometimes the people that don't want to buy a hunting or fishing license. They don't really cost all that much. And if you do both the super combo is the best deal in town.

To be determined
Re: Pig license ??? [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #3017640 02/15/12 09:38 PM
C
cc4500 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Rick O'Shay, read page 25 of the game law book. Did you not read the above post quoted from the book????

Hey... I've probably read the book as much or more than anyone here. I can ALSO read between the lines.

IF he was a land owner worried about depredation he would already know for sure what he could and couldn't do!
He's just a guy that wants to take his out of state brother pig huntin and doesn't WANT to buy a license.

TRUST ME, HE NEEDS A LICENSE!

O'Shay,
I never thought my simple question would result in such a bickering thread. i started by saying i was going to look it up and later even wrote that i thought it was best to have a license anyway. For you to write that I'm just a guy that doesnt WANT!!! to buy a license is wrong. I have always had the necessary licence and have taught my children the same. As far as trusting you, anyone who says things about people they don't know, i wouldn't trust very far.

Re: Pig license ??? [Re: crouch] #3017966 02/15/12 11:47 PM
F
furdown Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
LOLOL, you guys trip me out, all you gotta do is read page 25 of the game law book, it explains it. I like how "fur down" put "READ THE HANDBOOK before you give advice you need a license to hunt anything in Texas" lolol, looks like you need to read the handbook bud!

I know the laws, if you wanna reread it go ahead, notice how HUNT is capitalized. I know you can legally kill hogs, coyotes and such without a license, but if you are going to HUNT them you need a license. There is a difference. If you not smart enough to see that then, I don't know. Good luck OFFICER

�There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never cared for anything else thereafter.�- Ernest Hemingway

Re: Pig license ??? [Re: furdown] #3018017 02/16/12 12:14 AM
S
Scalpel4 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Is this thread STILL going?

Re: Pig license ??? [Re: furdown] #3018028 02/16/12 12:20 AM
D
djones Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
D
I don't need a license because every hog I've ever shot was charging me. I shot in self defense.

Even if the book says I need a license, I don't believe everything I read...

"Can I wipe out a hog population through hunting or trapping?

The feral hog has managed to survive, adapt, and increase their numbers despite attempts at population control. While it is possible to keep the population in check with continuous control, it is highly unlikely to eradicate a hog population within an established range."

bwaahahahaha roflmao
i'll take that as a compliment

Re: Pig license ??? [Re: djones] #3022371 02/17/12 03:23 PM
Tactical Hog Control - CO Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
My recommendation would be to buy a license...it'll be a lot cheaper than the ticket, in case you lose the argument with the GW.

In addition to the license, you might also need a Hunter Education course, depending on your age.

"Every hunter (including out-of-state hunters) born on or after Sept. 2, 1971, must successfully complete a Hunter Education Training Course, or be accompanied* while hunting. Minimum age of certification is 9 years of age.

If you were born on or after September 2, 1971 and you are:

•under 9 years of age, you must be accompanied* while hunting.
•age 9 through 16, you must successfully complete a hunter education course, or you must be accompanied* while hunting.
•age 17 and over, you must successfully complete a hunter education course; or purchase a “Hunter Education Deferral” and you must be accompanied* while hunting."

(you can only buy the deferral one time)

The "depredating" loophole might allow you to hunt depredating hogs without a license, but it doesn't say anything about not having to have a Hunter Education course....and that's a pretty common ticket!

Just my 2 cents....

Clark Osborne
Cottonwood Armory
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
936-348-7493
www.tacticalhogcontrol.com
Re: Pig license ??? [Re: Tactical Hog Control - CO] #3022526 02/17/12 04:09 PM
H
HuntingCFP Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
You do not need a license to hunt hogs on private property if you have consent from the landowner and the landowner claims that they are a problem on his land.

"A hunting license is not required to hunt the following:

•Coyotes, if the coyotes are attacking, about to attack, or have recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowl.
•Depredating feral hogs, if a landowner (resident or non-resident) or landowner's agent or lessee is taking feral hogs causing depredation on the landowner's land.
•Fur-bearing animals, if the hunter possesses a trapper's license or if the fur-bearing animals are causing depredation."

http://www.texashuntworks.com/index.php/texas-hunting-licenses-and-permits.html

However, having a hunting license is a great way to support the state and you are guaranteed to not get in trouble!

Randall White, CFP�

Morgan Stanley
Financial Advisor
Re: Pig license ??? [Re: HuntingCFP] #3022656 02/17/12 04:49 PM
S
Scalpel4 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I am seconds away from taking both sides of this discussion and running it through a valley girl translator and posting the results. bolt

Re: Pig license ??? [Re: HuntingCFP] #3022698 02/17/12 05:07 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I provided the link below in a previous post in this thread, if you want a 100% accurate answer send TPWD the question.
Usually you will get a response within 24 hours.

Click here ---> TPWD submit a question or comment <--- click on the big blue words.
In the drop down subject box select Game Warden (law enforcement), type your question in the question/comment box, enter a valid email address so you can receive the answer to your question.

The OP asked a simple question.
Does my brother from out of state need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs?
He never once mentioned anything about depredating feral hogs.

Re: Pig license ??? [Re: Rustler] #3228090 05/16/12 03:23 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Dragging up an old topic — that maybe was better left to rest . . .

Still, I'm going to change my tune a little. I had the opportunity to speak with a couple of game wardens in Jefferson County last weekend and I asked them specifically about this topic. Their response was that as long as one meets the stated qualifications (owner, agent, leasee) AND one can prove that hogs were causing damage no license is needed. Keeping or not keeping the meat is not specified in the game laws and is not a concern.

I laughed about the issue of proving that hogs were causing damage, and they agreed that if one has hogs on their property, the hogs would be causing damage.

So I still plan to buy a license just to be perfectly safe. Who knows, I may want to shoot a squirrel or a rabbit some day. But, according to the wardens with whom I spoke, hogs may be shot as long as one meets the criteria of being an owner, leasee, or agent of the landowner, and the meat may be retained.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Pig license ??? [Re: der Teufel] #3228160 05/16/12 03:48 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
I don't blame you for buying a license. I know some law enforcement offficers, and their attitude is, unless your the owner or have written documentation, you can prove it to the judge.

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: Pig license ??? [Re: dogcatcher] #3228191 05/16/12 04:00 PM
TurkeyHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'm having trouble finding ANYWHERE, besides yahoos on here that say you can't keep the meat. Where is the law that states I can't keep the meat if I shoot depredating hogs without a hunting license???

Since you are not going to believe us, check with a game warden. Or try it without a license until you get caught, then you can tell us how much the fine is. Take cash, most JP's prefer it.

roflmao

Also it is important to note that you may beat the rap but you can't beat the ride.

Just get a hunting license and you will have no worries.

To be determined
Re: Pig license ??? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #3232379 05/18/12 12:32 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
See the brochure and article and it references TPWD regulations, both for depredating and trophy or food source.

http://pcwp.tamu.edu/media/7025/feral-hog-laws-and-regulations-in-texas.pdf

Re: Pig license ??? [Re: kyotee1] #3232432 05/18/12 12:52 PM
C
Chief Joe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Every time I purchase a license I am proud of what has been done across this country by the sportsman. Many states would not have an animal to argue about hunting w/o the sportsman.
I read a FB this morning from a friend in Mich. The school and town were locked down and near panic cause a black bear was seen in their area!

"It is the same boiling water that softens the rice, which hardens the egg." It's not always about the circumstances, but what you are made of....
Re: Pig license ??? [Re: Chief Joe] #3232525 05/18/12 01:23 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
After all the disagreements, there is still no absolute answer. Now you see what a group of lawyers(even if they ar TPWD employees) can do to muddy the waters. They write the regs so the GW's can interperlate as they see fit, the regs are not written so we can KNOW what is right or wrong but so that tickets can be written and covered by a reg somewhere in the book. So it may be best for you as an indivdual to do everything to cover your back end and even then there may be something you forgot. One thing to remember GAME WARDENS RULE IN THE REAL WORLD and there are good common sense ones and then there are those on the other side of the coin.

Re: Pig license ??? [Re: DLALLDER] #3233157 05/18/12 06:26 PM
M
M Bennet Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
if you are hunting a wild animal in tx, you need a lic thats what are gamewarden said .

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide