Print Thread
No one wins only they are losing! Long Post #2978006 02/01/12 04:45 AM
A
ATracker Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
I have been reading about the new regulations by the USFWS for some time and I cannot believe the outcome by some liberal judges with this ruling or the future outcome of hunting. I’m not against Capitalism but apparently this is not about helping to protect any species but against those that provide hunting experiences and hunting in general. It is time for all that hunt and fish to unite and quit the bickering amongst us. Who cares if it is high fenced, low fenced, high dollar, low dollar, if we enjoy the outdoors it is all about being outdoors and to each their own. I can no longer afford a lease and I appreciate my friends that allow me to tag along to at least put some meat in the freezer but I help with any work that needs to be done and repair all the electronics that need to be fixed. We live in a very dangerous time and I only hope I have at least 20 more years to enjoy my passion for the outdoors.

I will give a little insight on me in that I was from a heritage of hunters on my father’s side. He hunted and fished South America and Africa due to his travels (job related) as a single man. My mother despised guns and it took me becoming a young man to change those feelings. I was against, as the youngest of the males and still hold some of those feelings today, of unnecessary killing and actually stopped the rampant BB gun devastation by starting a target range in our neighborhood. I have always been an animal lover first, wildlife artist/photographer before I began hunting and taxidermy work when I bought my first shotgun with my own money at the age of sixteen and to say I was bucking the system was an understatement. No one knew how to cook wild game or fish and that sent me off to experiment to find the right recipes because Betty Crocker was not working for me. So I have been hunting, fishing and doing taxidermy for 38 years and I have never wanted to have exotic game as a trophy (I hate that term trophy) but my culinary desires always made me ask what does it taste like. I never had a desire or finances to pursue the exotics but I understand those that do and those that raise animals and provide hunts. I have actually been a guide in the late eighties, early nineties for big game and waterfowl. I would love to have a mounted Black Sable or Gemsbok in my den but what do they taste like is more important to me. I think everyone is entitled to make money for their time and investments and I hate to see when legislation tries to kill off a way of life (heritage) that many have in their DNA. If sexual preference can be considered genetic then why not hunting. I was born this way! I decided to do a little research and this is what I found to share.

Threats and Reasons for Decline:
Link: http://www.animalinfo.org/species/artiperi/oryxdamm.htm
The original decline of the scimitar-horned oryx started with climatic changes that led to the drying out of the Sahara. As the desert expanded to north and to south, the scimitar-horned oryx was pushed northward and southward, and desertification divided it into two isolated populations. The northern group probably was never as common as the southern group.
The decline of the southern group worsened beginning with the arrival of Europeans in western and west central Africa in the latter part of the 19th century and the installation of numerous military posts in the arid regions. As firearms and horses increased, and then motorized vehicles were introduced, hunting began to take a major toll. The hunting was carried out by nomads for meat and hides for domestic consumption and trade, and by oil surveyors and troops. Not only were animals shot from motorized vehicles, sometimes with automatic weapons, but many of the slow-running desert animals died of heat exhaustion, calves were abandoned in the chase and unborn young aborted. During World War II, military operations probably led to considerable additional hunting to feed the armies. Finally, the civil war which began in Chad in the 1960's had a serious effect.
In addition to the major impact of over hunting, the increasing presence of livestock, stimulated by deep wells for watering cattle on the edge of the Sahel, drove the oryx away from the pastures where it formerly obtained both food and water.

Wikipedia:
Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scimitar_Oryx
A global captive breeding program was initiated in the 1960s. In 1996, there were at least 1,250 captive animals held in zoos and parks around the world with a further 2,145 on ranches in Texas. In 2005, at least 1,550 captives were managed as part of breeding programs and it is believed that more than 4,000 are held in private collections in the United Arab Emirates. As part of the reintroduction plans, there are fenced in herds in three reserves in Tunisia, one reserve in Moroco and two reserves in Senegal.

The Sixty Minutes Video Story (13.44 minutes):
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7396832n&tag=pop;videos
Read the comments at the bottom if you want see what others have to say.

The Exotic Wildlife Association info:
Click on the links to read the updates.
http://myewa.org/articles.html

Wealthy “So Called Hunters” helped bring light for the reason:
http://www.animallawcoalition.com/wildlife/article/974

ESA The Endangered Species Act:
http://www.fws.gov/endangered/esa-library/pdf/ESA_basics.pdf

Last edited by ATracker; 02/01/12 05:13 AM.
Re: No one wins only they are losing! Long Post [Re: ATracker] #2978450 02/01/12 02:15 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Agreed.

Last edited by Curtis; 02/01/12 02:15 PM.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide