Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Does a broken off point count in scoring? #2959577 01/25/12 05:46 PM
UT#1 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
I thought I read somewhere that a point that is broken off could still be counted for B&C purposes. Just curious.

Re: Does a broken off point count in scoring? [Re: UT#1] #2959654 01/25/12 06:17 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Depends on what your scoring it for, but I would say no.

matt

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Does a broken off point count in scoring? [Re: redchevy] #2959659 01/25/12 06:18 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
It does if over inch, but can't use part this broke off

Re: Does a broken off point count in scoring? [Re: BMD] #2959677 01/25/12 06:23 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
what ever is measurable is measured, what's not is not.

Just remember deductions will kill a score. Unless its going in the books I don't sweat the deductions.

Re: Does a broken off point count in scoring? [Re: SingleShot85] #2959741 01/25/12 06:49 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: SingleShot85
what ever is measurable is measured, what's not is not.

Just remember deductions will kill a score. Unless its going in the books I don't sweat the deductions.

Same here. Unless the trophy qualifies for B&C--and I'm lucky enough to have placed 6 in the Book--I don't bother with net score. I just total up his gross score, giving him credit for all he's grown, and call it good.

To the OP, any part of the tine that is broken off, even if you can find that bit of horn on the ground, is unavailable for measurement. But, you can count any part of the tine that remains, as long as it measures at least 1". I once shot a mountain goat in B.C. that tumbled off a cliff after the shot. He chipped maybe 1/2" off one horn. Not only did I lose that 1/2" on the broken horn, I also was deducted 1/2" from the intact horn because it was 1/2" longer than the broken one, and thus dissimilar.

This is why most of us count gross score when measuring racks that won't qualify for B&C. It's just more fair to the animal and hunter.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Does a broken off point count in scoring? [Re: dawaba] #2965423 01/27/12 02:56 PM
R
rtp Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
I thought that if you had the broken pieces it could be submitted for consideration and was up to B&C whether to include it in the official scoring. Seems like the King Buck that is challenging for the world record had a completely broken main beam that was put back together and B&C accepted it. Scoring opinion on a shared tine is what is keeping it from top spot.

Let'em grow old
Re: Does a broken off point count in scoring? [Re: rtp] #2965972 01/27/12 06:30 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
If a point is broken off it does not count, even if you have it, in the official B&C or P&Y score. For the official score if anything is broken off it is as if the broken part never existed

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Does a broken off point count in scoring? [Re: kmon11] #2965996 01/27/12 06:37 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Originally Posted By: kmon1
If a point is broken off it does not count, even if you have it, in the official B&C or P&Y score. For the official score if anything is broken off it is as if the broken part never existed

Re: Does a broken off point count in scoring? [Re: rtp] #2966013 01/27/12 06:46 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: rtp
I thought that if you had the broken pieces it could be submitted for consideration and was up to B&C whether to include it in the official scoring. Seems like the King Buck that is challenging for the world record had a completely broken main beam that was put back together and B&C accepted it. Scoring opinion on a shared tine is what is keeping it from top spot.

I seem to remember seeing something about this also and thought it was odd that they could use a broken point if it was found and matched the break. ( If it was shot off or broken when the deer fell ) I read thru my B&C scoring manual quickly and could find no reference though to it )

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Does a broken off point count in scoring? [Re: stxranchman] #2966697 01/27/12 10:57 PM
R
rtp Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
Ok here ya go. Broken points can not be counted but entire mainbeams can be as per new B&C rules. I thought I had seen this earlier.

Bowhunting Articles Home
Articles
Bowhunting News
NEW Typical Record Whitetail Snubbed by B&C - The Johnny King Buck

NEW Typical Record Whitetail Snubbed by B&C - The Johnny King Buck
By: Mike Willand| 5/10/2011| Comments« Prev Post

Next Post »

On November 18th, 2006, while hunting the gun opener in Wisconsin, an avid whitetail hunter from Mt. Horeb shot an incredible buck with a rack that would gross more than 220 inches. The significance of this remarkable animal is that it may be the greatest typical the world has never seen.

The story begins when two friends, as part of a deer drive, both shoot and ultimately kill a great buck. However, credit is given to Johnny King, whose bullet placements from his open-sighted Winchester .30-30 are deemed the vital hits. During the first rack examination by the two hunters, the animal’s left main beam is completely snapped off, a result of one of King’s misplaced bullets.

John Ramsey, an official Boone & Crockett measurer, was the first man in a long line of scorers to tape the animal. Before the required 60-day drying period had passed, Ramsey measured the rack as a clean 12-point typical grossing in the 220’s and netting more than 215 inches. He later told King that it may not be just Wisconsin’s new record but possibly the world’s. However, it would all depend on the club’s interpretation of the broken beam. (B&C has recently changed their rule which makes it possible for bucks with broken beams to be entered.)

Let'em grow old
Re: Does a broken off point count in scoring? [Re: UT#1] #2993860 02/07/12 03:09 PM
B
BulldogRon Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
I'm an Official Scorer for Boone and Crockett. The answer to your question is yes! Only if you have the original broken piece and only if the measurer can identify the broken piece as the original antler or horn. If the trophy has been repaired the measurer has to be able to identify the original potion of antler or horn for that will be the only potion that will be included in the final score. Trophies that have been damaged and not repaired may be submitted to the records committee by a official measurer for consideration for the record book. If the committee agrees that the broken part belongs to the damaged trophy and repositioned in its original configuration for accurate measurement the trophy can be measured for the record book and the owner can have the trophy repaired after the measurements are completed. Photos of the repairs or broken tines are always taken and submitted to the record committee. The records committee reserves the right to reject any repaired trophy.

Official Scorer for:
Boone and Crockett Club
Pope and Young Club
Texas Big Game Awards
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide