Forums46
Topics539,865
Posts9,755,095
Members87,193
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: Hunter1975] #2929172 01/14/12 05:42 AM
D
DeerTamales Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
popcorn

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: DeerTamales] #2929174 01/14/12 05:45 AM
H
Hunter1975 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Forget the popcorn.... I wanna little chunk of backstrap off that $30,000 dollar deer...

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: Hog Creek Outfitters] #2929175 01/14/12 05:46 AM
L
Lonnie Paul Walker Jr. Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
SABANA,

Clarification, most of the dogs I have shot in my life time where not hog dogs, but strays from some SOB from the city. A SOB that thinks they will live in the wild, WRONG.

On the other hand, yes I have had to put some hog dogs down. They were in real bad shape, then some to wild to catch, an the others just to close to where they should not be.

Your trying to tell me you dont let them get away. BS, I run dogs for many years. I never lost a dog to being lost. You may need to fine tune your training. It also helps to choose places that you will not have limits on your dogs. Give your dogs a little better chance, get them closer than a mile away to jump them out. Not disagreeing with you on smell, you have to think outside the box an try not to set your dogs up for failure. Most important thing, spend the money on tracking equipment.

Good luck , ridge/black mouth crosses worked best baying for me.

Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

"Lonnie Walker Outdoors"
Outfitter / Professional Guide
Wildlife Consultant
817-598-5338

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: Hunter1975] #2929195 01/14/12 06:09 AM
E
ETO33 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
E
Any fool that has a 30,000 dollar deer that a hog dog has the ability to get to is exactly that a fool!!!! As i said befor it isnt just a fine it can be up to 5 years in jail cant hunt anything from behind bars so think before you pull the trigger

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: ETO33] #2929223 01/14/12 06:37 AM
L
Lonnie Paul Walker Jr. Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
ET,

You keep telling other people to think?

You don't think I have precautions in place?

Lets talk facts:

Your dog (any kind) comes on my property an is by the pens for any reason,

Fido will be fed lead,

No fine, no jail time, Bottom Line

Like many have already said, some of you just cant get it through your thought process:

YOU JUST CAN NOT FIX STUPID

Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

"Lonnie Walker Outdoors"
Outfitter / Professional Guide
Wildlife Consultant
817-598-5338

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.] #2929224 01/14/12 06:38 AM
H
Hunter1975 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H

$1500 in tracking system and my dogs still have not learned what a fence means... JK. On a serious note I don't hunt during deer season for these reasons. Have my dogs crossed another property? Absolutely! Any dogger that says otherwise is probably lying. I try to avoid it at all costs but hogs go where they want and dogs follow. Its kinda tough to stop them when they are a half mile away barking there heads off. Have tried before but either they cant hear me or they are true hunting dogs and want that hog at all costs. Who knows?? Judging from these posts I feel lucky that I haven't lost a dog to a gunshot. And I am glad none of yall are my neighbors so my dogs dont get shot if they get out of a kennel some how.

I only have two spots to hunt that are big enough to stay out of trouble and both are surrounded by properties that I have permission to retrieve my dogs and hogs if needed as long as its not during deer season. Both places are deer leases and they want the hog numbers brought down to better their deer hunting.

One more thing I have had a dog get lost(I think) and went well beyond gps range. I did tie up all the other dogs and walked till I got him back on gps and still walked another mile or so before I was able to call him in. All while crossing a couple properties I didn't have permission to be on. And I will probably do it again to retrieve my dog. Again this is not during deer season. Guess I care for my dogs enough to take a trespassing charge.

Last edited by Hunter1975; 01/14/12 06:55 AM.
Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: Hunter1975] #2929235 01/14/12 06:55 AM
E
ETO33 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
E
Lonnie maybe you should speak to a game warden before you run your mouth about things you obv have no clue about. Read the law it is clear as day. Doesnt matter if you pay 1 million for the deer and you can pet it or do whatever it is you do to it a dog can legally chase your deer and there is nothing you can do about it so maybe you just dont get it!!!!!! Kill the dog go for it you may bully the people around you i promise if it was my dog i would make sure you never touched another weapon in your life when you got that felony on your record and your precious deer may just disappear fence your not the state owns every deer you have even if you paid for it and they can turn them out against your will if you like it or not so maybe you need spend some of that 30,000 on being educated on the subject

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: Hunter1975] #2929239 01/14/12 07:01 AM
H
Hunter1975 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Question for the deer hunters. What do you do when you shoot a deer and its wounded and wonders on to the next property and you don't have permission to retrieve it and you cant get a hold of the owner to get permission? Oh and its one of them once in a lifetime trophy bucks thats not bred in a high fence..

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: Hunter1975] #2929279 01/14/12 10:12 AM
H
HWY_MAN2 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: Hunter1975
Question for the deer hunters. What do you do when you shoot a deer and its wounded and wonders on to the next property and you don't have permission to retrieve it and you cant get a hold of the owner to get permission? Oh and its one of them once in a lifetime trophy bucks thats not bred in a high fence..

You contact the game warden, he'll contact the landowner and see if the landowner will allow you or him to retrieve it. If I'm the landowner I want to first be assured the buck was in fact shot off property and wandered onto my place, then I would allow you to come on and retrieve your deer. Should you come on without my permission, I will file charges, should you have a firearm on you it will be a felony charge. Now if you hunt with dogs be it hogs or birds I would treat it the same way, contact me and I may or may not allow you to retrieve your dog.

I'm a bird hunter been hunting over dogs for many years and only once have we ever lost a dog and we lost two the same day. It was so overcast you couldn't see the sun with patches of thick fog, both dogs were returned to the owner when they showed up at neighbors houses. The people I hunt with have enough control over their dogs to keep them from crossing fence lines and getting into trouble, if they don't most likely I won't hunt with them again. Hog dogs and coon dogs are a completely different story their going to go where the critter goes and that can get them and the owner in trouble. If for any reason you cross onto another's property with out consent your subject to charges.

Last edited by HWY_MAN2; 01/14/12 10:29 AM.
Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: HWY_MAN2] #2929348 01/14/12 01:37 PM
J
jakhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
It would be an easy choice to make determining if the dog is wild or someones pet/hunting partner. But even if someone shot a helpless dog they shouldnt have and the owner of the pet files charges, who is going to be able to defend the now dead dog. All the shooter has to say is he tried to bite me and it seems pretty much case closed. We have neighbor dogs come to the house quite often and sort of tease our dogs, I shoot them with the BB gun and send them packing. No harm done.

Originally Posted By: Curly
Ever heard a Tom cat in love in the middle of the night? UGH!
Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: Hunter1975] #2929435 01/14/12 02:40 PM
S
SwampHunterFw Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I have hunted around 1/2 million dollar cutting horses an high dollar deer an elk an all kinds of exotics an my dogs have yet to bother them , oh even my so called aggressive pitbull lol he actually is scared of horses an runs from them

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: tuskbuster] #2929516 01/14/12 03:28 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
tuskbuster - I'd respond, but you're obviously not capable of comprehension of the topic at hand, so just keep giggling behind your computer at those zingers you just dropped.

Has anyone even read what I wrote? I DO NOT SHOOT DOGS unless they're obviously feral.

I'm simply pointing out that those of you that think the law is on your side when your dog jumps a fence and gets shot are way off base. If you jump the fence and follow your dog, you're even further off base. If you have a weapon on you when you do so, you're facing possible felony charges. If you actually use that weapon to kill a hog on someone else's property, you're so far beyond stupid, there's no point in discussing this anymore.

The bottom line is that it is illegal to cross a fence following your dog. Period. It's probably not illegal for someone to shoot your dog if it's there illegally, i.e. Gonna be really, really difficult to prove that dog couldn't have been perceived as aggressive.

And that's what you'd have to prove to win out in court.

Sorry if you're someone that wants to trespass under the guise of your helpless dog - but you're breaking the law.

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: ETO33] #2929522 01/14/12 03:30 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: ETO33
Lonnie maybe you should speak to a game warden before you run your mouth about things you obv have no clue about. Read the law it is clear as day.

Both a game warden and a sherriff have suggested I shoot dogs that don't belong on my property.

The law is clear as day, but you're the one that doesn't get it.

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: Hunter1975] #2929573 01/14/12 03:53 PM
B
BIG BEN Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
God bless all you dog killers, I will pray for all of you tommorrow at church and have my hog doggin preacher send a "special" prayer for yall to the man upstairs, you all need it very bad. Good day and happy dog hunting.

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: BIG BEN] #2929581 01/14/12 03:56 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
God loves all creatures, great and small.

If you run dogs in the pursuit of hogs, you're killing both.

And the Bible specifically speaks out against trespass.

I think we know who needs the prayers. Don't worry, He'll forgive.

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: cameron00] #2929606 01/14/12 04:12 PM
B
BIG BEN Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted By: cameron00

Your funny Cameroony, this thread has gotten pretty amusing. This is the www, everyone is a tough sob that can whoop anyones a$$ at anytime, there way is the only way and there isnt talking any common sense into their dense skulls. A dog is just that a dog, he dosent know what a tresspassing sign or a fence is. Im sure that most of the folks willing to kill a dog have a dog that they care about like we do ours and are just speaking out their rear ends to sound tuff on the www. Its this kind of BS and ignorance that is going to put an end to ALL hunting for all of us just think about that before posting stupid remarks like most have(Is this helping the future of hunting?).

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: BIG BEN] #2929613 01/14/12 04:17 PM
N
Nightlight Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
It's very easy... If you do not have written permission to be there - don't be there. And if you wait until you are already hunting to worry about the details and consequences it is too late. Plan ahead, this will help protect your property, as well as yourself.

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: BIG BEN] #2929619 01/14/12 04:19 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
It's like I'm talking to myself...

I have stated multiple times that I do not kill dogs that are collared or friendly.

The main issue at hand is the ridiculous belief by the majority of the dog runners that have posted that they are allowed to follow their dogs across fencelines.

That is factually incorrect, and a crime. Period.

For the record, I have given permission to everyone that has ever asked me if they could follow their dogs across my property. It doesn't really bother me as long as it's not during deer season.

It really, really bothers my immediate neighbor, and he shoots them. He has good reason - as mentioned dogs have killed all of his chickens. He shot a beagle not too long ago and the owner did call the sherriff. The sherriff asked 2 questions:

Was your dog on his property?

Was your dog supposed to be on his property?

Didn't even come out.

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: HWY_MAN2] #2929663 01/14/12 04:47 PM
H
Hunter1975 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN2

You contact the game warden, he'll contact the landowner and see if the landowner will allow you or him to retrieve it. If I'm the landowner I want to first be assured the buck was in fact shot off property and wandered onto my place, then I would allow you to come on and retrieve your deer. Should you come on without my permission, I will file charges, should you have a firearm on you it will be a felony charge. Now if you hunt with dogs be it hogs or birds I would treat it the same way, contact me and I may or may not allow you to retrieve your dog.

I'm a bird hunter been hunting over dogs for many years and only once have we ever lost a dog and we lost two the same day. It was so overcast you couldn't see the sun with patches of thick fog, both dogs were returned to the owner when they showed up at neighbors houses. The people I hunt with have enough control over their dogs to keep them from crossing fence lines and getting into trouble, if they don't most likely I won't hunt with them again. Hog dogs and coon dogs are a completely different story their going to go where the critter goes and that can get them and the owner in trouble. If for any reason you cross onto another's property with out consent your subject to charges.

I call BS on this.. Maybe I am wrong.I have been on many many deer leases for the past 15 years with many people and still on one to this day. Never seen a game warden called to retrieve a deer. I think its kind of a unspoken thing that sounds good to type that you do it the right way but I think we all know what typically happens. Now granted I have never been on those "high dollar leases" just your $2500 per year deals and I have yet to shoot a "true trophy buck" but I am not really in it to put something on my wall. Just the hunting itself whether that be with my dogs or out on my lease sitting in a stand. With that being said I just hope I dont loose a dog to one of yall crazy folks that shoot em. Revenge would be bitter sweet without a single person or thing injured in any way. It is best served cold and unnoticed.... Happy hunting folks in whatever type of hunting you enjoy

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.] #2929722 01/14/12 05:18 PM
H
Hunter1975 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Originally Posted By: Lonnie Walker
SABANA,

Clarification, most of the dogs I have shot in my life time where not hog dogs, but strays from some SOB from the city. A SOB that thinks they will live in the wild, WRONG.

On the other hand, yes I have had to put some hog dogs down. They were in real bad shape, then some to wild to catch, an the others just to close to where they should not be.

Your trying to tell me you dont let them get away. BS, I run dogs for many years. I never lost a dog to being lost. You may need to fine tune your training. It also helps to choose places that you will not have limits on your dogs. Give your dogs a little better chance, get them closer than a mile away to jump them out. Not disagreeing with you on smell, you have to think outside the box an try not to set your dogs up for failure. Most important thing, spend the money on tracking equipment.

Good luck , ridge/black mouth crosses worked best baying for me.

This does suck. I live out in the country and had many dogs dropped off around my place.Shot one that was very aggressive. The others went to the SPCA. Worked out to my advantage one time. My main catch dog is a beautiful very loving and loyal pit bull that wondered up on my property very emaciated and obviously beaten a bunch. Now she is living a good life and getting to do what she was bred to do.

"Cracker"

She don't miss any meals now.. lol

Last edited by Hunter1975; 01/14/12 05:20 PM.
Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: tuskbuster] #2929768 01/14/12 05:40 PM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: tuskbuster
cameron00 sounds like u a big fence stradler hope no one shakes that bottom wire and you wind up with your nuts in your MOUTH.your pre\DICK/tion that no one will get a decent job after a FELONY for huntin hogs with dogs.most guys i know have great jobs to sTart with or they couldnt aford to run good HOG DOGS FOR AS LONG AS THEY HAVE.yeah you may own or lease the land you do,doggers usually get FREE PERMISSION to hunt.do you always hit what you aim at,what happens to the b ullet that doesnt hit the mark,i believe there has been several cases of people being hit with errant bullets from hunters this year alone in TX.can you call that bullet back once you squeeze the trigger .well we can have more control over the dogs than that,its not perfect but we are not in juring with dogs other than to hogs and our dogs and ourselves to help protect or dogs.get a life THE WORLD AINT PERFECT

Fact just proven

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: ETO33] #2929824 01/14/12 06:07 PM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: ETO33
Lonnie maybe you should speak to a game warden before you run your mouth about things you obv have no clue about. Read the law it is clear as day. Doesnt matter if you pay 1 million for the deer and you can pet it or do whatever it is you do to it a dog can legally chase your deer and there is nothing you can do about it so maybe you just dont get it!!!!!! Kill the dog go for it you may bully the people around you i promise if it was my dog i would make sure you never touched another weapon in your life when you got that felony on your record and your precious deer may just disappear fence your not the state owns every deer you have even if you paid for it and they can turn them out against your will if you like it or not so maybe you need spend some of that 30,000 on being educated on the subject

ETO, can you back up that the State will come in and remove deer that I purchased and have reciepts for and breeding records for, because I shoot a dog that is on my personal property? As for $30k deer, yes they are alive and being sold in Texas. As for a $4500- the amount of the court decision someone mentioned above.... I would love to see a dog worth $4500!

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: Hunter1975] #2929827 01/14/12 06:09 PM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H

IF I couldn't get permission from the land owner, I would call the GW. If he said no, then I would burn a tag KNOWING I did what was legal of me!

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: BIG BEN] #2929838 01/14/12 06:17 PM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: Buckhunter1983

Your funny Cameroony, this thread has gotten pretty amusing. This is the www, everyone is a tough sob that can whoop anyones a$$ at anytime, there way is the only way and there isnt talking any common sense into their dense skulls. A dog is just that a dog, he dosent know what a tresspassing sign or a fence is. Im sure that most of the folks willing to kill a dog have a dog that they care about like we do ours and are just speaking out their rear ends to sound tuff on the www. Its this kind of BS and ignorance that is going to put an end to ALL hunting for all of us just think about that before posting stupid remarks like most have(Is this helping the future of hunting?).

You know, I started to say something to you.... but I remembered this book that I read and it talking about judging others and stones and glass houses. I will pray for you and your church though!

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: cameron00] #2929935 01/14/12 07:31 PM
T
Taiaut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
tuskbuster - I'd respond, but you're obviously not capable of comprehension of the topic at hand, so just keep giggling behind your computer at those zingers you just dropped.

Has anyone even read what I wrote? I DO NOT SHOOT DOGS unless they're obviously feral.

I'm simply pointing out that those of you that think the law is on your side when your dog jumps a fence and gets shot are way off base. If you jump the fence and follow your dog, you're even further off base. If you have a weapon on you when you do so, you're facing possible felony charges. If you actually use that weapon to kill a hog on someone else's property, you're so far beyond stupid, there's no point in discussing this anymore.

The bottom line is that it is illegal to cross a fence following your dog. Period. It's probably not illegal for someone to shoot your dog if it's there illegally, i.e. Gonna be really, really difficult to prove that dog couldn't have been perceived as aggressive.

And that's what you'd have to prove to win out in court.

Sorry if you're someone that wants to trespass under the guise of your helpless dog - but you're breaking the law.

Cam is right on on this. For those of you old enough to remember, these are the same arguments and reasons used to justify running over other peoples property before dog hunting for deer was stopped throughout most of the South.
My crystal ball shows that hog hunters are going to shoot themselves in the foot in the same way.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide