Forums46
Topics538,062
Posts9,732,577
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Puppy mill or ethical breeders? [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2896494 01/04/12 03:18 AM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: IronSpikeLabs
Originally Posted By: Justin Taylor
How do u feel about health testing

I think, just like veterinarians, vaccines and big pharmaceuticals, it is first and foremost a business. A very large, bureaurocrat and largely PROFITABLE business. The organizations behind much of the testing are self-perpetuating and make big bucks in the name of 'safeguarding' the breeding industry. One should not lose sight of that. They gain power and ultimately more money, by making themselves "essential" or "required." The pathway is this: 1) be a 'good idea'; then 2) be the 'preferred method'; then 3) become the common denominator - businesses affected 'do or die' by their servics and are therefore forced to 'voluntarily' commit; and finally 4) become required.

Right now, they are at the 'common denominator' point. Breeders who don't buy into the program fall to the wayside, believed to be unethical, irresponsible and the like. By driving market demand they can then push to become REQUIRED... and once they reach that level, they will begin to demand repeat tests, methods of 'proving' dogs have been tested, methods of penalizing for lack of testing and of course, the goal of every bureaucratic monopoly... MONEY. More fees, higher fees and the like. That is the cold hard truth about the business side of health clearances. If there were no money in it, large pharma would never have gotten behind it.

Now, all that said... making sure you are doing everything you can to produce healthy, sound pups for your clientele is the only ethical way for a breeder to do business. MOST health clearances aid in this.

There has been a poster on here who for years has harranged me, trying to get me to say whether or not I test and to state my stance on it. Because the query always came on the heels of an unwarranted attack against my program, I declined to respond. Not because I am ashamed of my answer or have anything to hide. On the contrary. I declined to answer because I refuse to 'explain' or 'justify' myself. I operate well within a firm set of ethical boundaries, I don't need to explain myself.

But in my response to you above, I finally did answer that question. And my answer explains why my dogs are not listed on the big testing organization's websites. It's because I know it is 'big business' and because I refuse to aid in the transition toward helping them become 'essential.' I refuse to have standards dictated to me and I don't believe they should be dictated to anyone. Ethics are void when mandates are present. I will do the ethical thing NOT because some large bureaucracy mandated it, but because, very simply, it is the right thing to do. And since I can trust myself to do the right thing, I don't need to plaster my dogs up on large pharma controlled websites to prove that I do. The only opinion I care about when it comes to my dogs, is that of the people who choose to purchase them. THOSE PEOPLE, my clients, I will do everything possible to make happy.

That's nice... Another line of BS why you don't do health clearances..

Since I don't know you, or your dogs and you want me to believe your ethical and straightforward. A good start would be to get health clearances. It cost the breeder a whopping $1000-$2000 per bitch or stud dog. Big deal. It's not feeding, "da Man".. It's doing the ethical thing.

When I think of you Ironspike I immediately think of one of my favorite quotes..

*The irresistible pull of self-delusion is almost overwhelming*

Angie

"Developing the Potential"
www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Puppy mill or ethical breeders? [Re: labpointkennels] #2896500 01/04/12 03:19 AM
J
Justin Taylor Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
I am a full time firefighter/ paramedic. I also teach fire academy and paramedic schoolnpartbtime and I also teach mma and do strength and conditioning for fighters getting ready for there fightsI have had a lot of pro mma fights in Louisiana and colorado before they allowed them here in Texas.

Re: Puppy mill or ethical breeders? [Re: Justin Taylor] #2896692 01/04/12 04:03 AM
D
duckkhunterr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Justin I do hope you realize that Comet tried to help you sale that pup you had posted. I don't believe this is the proper way to say thankyou. As for ISC she is one of the best around and thats the bottom line she is knowledgable and an even better person. I have sent many people her way when I didn't have a pup for them. I believe you should leave things alone.

The term puppymill is very subjective and it is based on an opinion of what you think it is. If you believe somebody is running a puppymill then don't buy from them. Here is a good example of a puppy mill. When you see this call the athorities.

http://www.petnewsalerts.com/puppy-mill-bust-in-texas/790/

Check that out.

Re: Puppy mill or ethical breeders? [Re: duckkhunterr] #2896790 01/04/12 04:30 AM
J
Justin Taylor Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
That wasn't my pup and that's great if he tried, I appreciate it. The thing is everyone ASSUMED my post was aimed at him when it wasn't. Again I didn't even know who he was. InONLYnfound out bcause I was getting pms from people saying if u want to see a puppy mill or someone who just pumps out pups for money look at the said persons website. Again, I NEVER knew who he was.
So it was in no way aimed at him.

You say she is one of the best around? Referring to what? I don't doubt she is a good person

Re: Puppy mill or ethical breeders? [Re: Angie B] #2896986 01/04/12 06:19 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Angie B
Originally Posted By: IronSpikeLabs
How do u feel about health testing

I think, just like veterinarians, vaccines and big pharmaceuticals, it is first and foremost a business. A very large, bureaurocrat and largely PROFITABLE business. The organizations behind much of the testing are self-perpetuating and make big bucks in the name of 'safeguarding' the breeding industry. One should not lose sight of that. They gain power and ultimately more money, by making themselves "essential" or "required." The pathway is this: 1) be a 'good idea'; then 2) be the 'preferred method'; then 3) become the common denominator - businesses affected 'do or die' by their servics and are therefore forced to 'voluntarily' commit; and finally 4) become required.

Right now, they are at the 'common denominator' point. Breeders who don't buy into the program fall to the wayside, believed to be unethical, irresponsible and the like. By driving market demand they can then push to become REQUIRED... and once they reach that level, they will begin to demand repeat tests, methods of 'proving' dogs have been tested, methods of penalizing for lack of testing and of course, the goal of every bureaucratic monopoly... MONEY. More fees, higher fees and the like. That is the cold hard truth about the business side of health clearances. If there were no money in it, large pharma would never have gotten behind it.

Now, all that said... making sure you are doing everything you can to produce healthy, sound pups for your clientele is the only ethical way for a breeder to do business. MOST health clearances aid in this.

There has been a poster on here who for years has harranged me, trying to get me to say whether or not I test and to state my stance on it. Because the query always came on the heels of an unwarranted attack against my program, I declined to respond. Not because I am ashamed of my answer or have anything to hide. On the contrary. I declined to answer because I refuse to 'explain' or 'justify' myself. I operate well within a firm set of ethical boundaries, I don't need to explain myself.

But in my response to you above, I finally did answer that question. And my answer explains why my dogs are not listed on the big testing organization's websites. It's because I know it is 'big business' and because I refuse to aid in the transition toward helping them become 'essential.' I refuse to have standards dictated to me and I don't believe they should be dictated to anyone. Ethics are void when mandates are present. I will do the ethical thing NOT because some large bureaucracy mandated it, but because, very simply, it is the right thing to do. And since I can trust myself to do the right thing, I don't need to plaster my dogs up on large pharma controlled websites to prove that I do. The only opinion I care about when it comes to my dogs, is that of the people who choose to purchase them. THOSE PEOPLE, my clients, I will do everything possible to make happy.

That's nice... Another line of BS why you don't do health clearances..

Since I don't know you, or your dogs and you want me to believe your ethical and straightforward. A good start would be to get health clearances. It cost the breeder a whopping $1000-$2000 per bitch or stud dog. Big deal. It's not feeding, "da Man".. It's doing the ethical thing.

When I think of you Ironspike I immediately think of one of my favorite quotes..

*The irresistible pull of self-delusion is almost overwhelming*

Angie

Well, hello Angie! I was wondering when you'd chime in! I just knew you wouldn't miss the opportunity to jump on me (yet again) and continue to insist that I don't do health clearances simply because I don't do the "explain yourself to Angie" thing.

Wasn't it you who told another poster to watch what he reads? Before jumping to conclusions, you should take a bit of your own advice and watch what you read.... Read everything I posted. Young Justin actually got me to finally answer the question you've been hounding me about for the last few years. I answered him because his motivations weren't the same as yours, so I just gave him an answer straight up. Since you've been wanting to know for years now, whether or not I do clearances, have a look - it's in this thread somewhere. But you'll have to find it, because you know me... I'm 'delusional' because I won't 'explain' or 'justify' myself to you.

And speaking of delusional... $1,000 to $2,000 per bitch for health clearances?

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: Puppy mill or ethical breeders? [Re: Justin Taylor] #2896998 01/04/12 06:40 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
That wasn't my pup and that's great if he tried, I appreciate it. The thing is everyone ASSUMED my post was aimed at him when it wasn't. Again I didn't even know who he was. InONLYnfound out bcause I was getting pms from people saying if u want to see a puppy mill or someone who just pumps out pups for money look at the said persons website. Again, I NEVER knew who he was.
So it was in no way aimed at him.

Justin, you say this, yet you posted your OP at 12:58 pm, as a new poster (week old), with an opening comment that was clearly inflammatory. Whether aimed at a specific kennel or not, it was obviously designed to create dissension and put credible people under scrutiny. If anything, it appeared as an attempt to redefine 'puppy mill' to your broader parameters so that you could throw more kennels under the bus. One must ask "why?"

Now, you claim that, despite the above, your being new here, no one knowing you, the name of a breeder who is known and appreciated here being degraded by you, that by 4:27 pm, just 3-1/2 hours later, you received multiple PM's from people, all specifically pointing to Comet's kennels, airing to a complete unknown, all this 'dirty laundry.' Is that because for some inexplicable reason, people feel compelled to bare their souls to you... over the internet? Secretly? I'm sorry, but I find that very hard to believe.

I know, I know... per you, Angie and LoneStar, I'm just delusional and paranoid because I dare to question motives, challenge liberal logic and object to bloated regulatory programs.

Re: Puppy mill or ethical breeders? [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2897080 01/04/12 12:03 PM
D
duckkhunterr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Justin you may not have started out attacking Comet but you turned it toward Comet real quick. I challenge you to make a short trip to her kennel and see if that looks like a puppy mill. I gave you a great example of what a puppy mill looks like and I promise you there is nothing at that kennel that will say she has a puppy mill.

People go into buisness for many of reasons and the biggest reason is to make money. Some people don't have the time or the money to put dogs through training that doesn't classify that person as having a puppy mill or being a bad person. I personally have had many conversations with Comet several over a purchase that Comet was going to make. Comet did her research on the dog to make sure one it was a quality dog and two checking on health clearnces.

I have hear of people over working dogs and causing health problems that way or burning dogs out on the E Collar why don't you attack them instead of an individual that is out providing a quality dog. Again I challenge you to go look at Comets kennel and then take another look at the link I provided earlier and you will see the difference in what is or isnt a puppymill.

Re: Puppy mill or ethical breeders? [Re: duckkhunterr] #2897086 01/04/12 12:09 PM
D
duckkhunterr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
As for as ISL she is one of the best at providing one a good natured dog and two a great hunting partner and three giving her clients as much knowledge about the breed and how to take care of the pup to help bring out the best in the it.

I agree with her people on here just don't open up to you right after you join so I have a hard time believing you was getting an inbox of messges throwing Comet under the bus.

Re: Puppy mill or ethical breeders? [Re: duckkhunterr] #2897337 01/04/12 02:23 PM
J
Justin Taylor Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
well again yall can assume what you will but being new here i guess people felt compelled to tell me there own opinion on a puppy mill in which SEVERAL mentiond the said kennel. as yall say a puppy mil IS a broad spectrum and a subjective term. does it mean a dirty kennel with dirty breeding and living conditions? absolutely. to me does it also mean owning alot of females and breeding the crap out of them fo the sole purpose of money? yes it doesto ME. is that what comet does? not sure and dont care frankly

Re: Puppy mill or ethical breeders? [Re: Justin Taylor] #2897416 01/04/12 02:49 PM
D
duckkhunterr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Justin if you don't care then why did you throw Comet under the bus. Your conversation with the individuals that PM should have stayed between you and them.

If you never would have brought Comet up in conversation then this topic would have stayed just that a topic for debate and people would have given their opinion and left it at that but no you brought up a certain breeder that you personaly have not had any dealings with except for the fact she tried to help you sale a friends dog. A believe somebody that has a puppy mill either one would not have done that or two would have done it in a way for them to get something in return and that wasn't the case.

I breed labs I have two females I don't hunt them I have been working on training them little by little and hopefuly will have them ready to hunt but just because they don't hunt doesn't mean I am running a puppy mill.

In the buisness world if you sale something your intentions are to make money off of it if at all possible whether it is a car or a dog. You have different qualities in all areas. Some are good some are bad. You have name brand that is great and you have name brand that is bad. Comet runs a good clean facility she gives health clearances and she makes sure the people that are buying her dogs are on the up an up. She want sell to just anybody. Comet will hold a dog for as long as possible to make sure the dog or puppy goes to a responsible person and the dog is taken care of. A puppy mill want do that they sale to who ever has the money. Sure Comet may not be GatorPoint Kennels or some of the other big ones out there but that doesn't mean her kennel is not as good or she is a puppy mill.

My suggestion is do some research on things before you throw them under the bus.

Re: Puppy mill or ethical breeders? [Re: duckkhunterr] #2897470 01/04/12 03:02 PM
J
Justin Taylor Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
again i am sure she has a nice place and takes great care of her dogs. we are beating a dead horse here bcause in my opinion a puppy mill is soomeone who pumps out pups just for money or as a job.. i am not saying she does this so dont take it wrong way but people that JUST breed pups as there income also usually breed a dogjust about every heat cycle and will be breeding them when they are 10 years old too just for that money, even though they may take geat care of them. people say you wouldnt breed to lose money would you? well probably not but i have know several breeders who dont make squat on a litter of pups bcause they are breeding to the top males in the country which cost alot and there females have all of there health clearances plus the money they have put into training to get there female at a top level , so no, they in reality dont make money on those pups. again i am sure comet is a great person and runs a clean business and i am sorry that i disagree with someone who has alot of dogs just to breed breed breed and doesnt do anything to better the bred or better that pedigree. and no i am not pointing at her

Re: Puppy mill or ethical breeders? [Re: Justin Taylor] #2897492 01/04/12 03:06 PM
L
labdaddy Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
You know I looked into your "pedigree" and your claims of being an MMA "fighter/trainer" and the only JT listed is from Ohio and doesn't seem to win to often I'm not sure you have the qualification to be teaching anyone in that field unless they are learning to loose gracefully and small town fire hall doesn't make you a hero either, I have been on this site and others for years and rarely post but I have seen young men like yourself come online and brag on what they have (or what mom and dad provide) trying to impress fact is you ain't gonna win no dog show with your attitude but if that's your goal join a retriever club and try and listen and learn when your my age you will wish you had spent more time on your knees praying instead of on your feet in people's faces spouting off

Re: Puppy mill or ethical breeders? [Re: labdaddy] #2897518 01/04/12 03:15 PM
J
Justin Taylor Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
lab daddy what maks you think justin taylor is my full name or even my real name for that matter. i work for a city with 7 stations so it is no small town city. I teach at Mohler mma and alo for travis lutter if you want to do some research. I have also been a member of retriever clubs, gone to meetings and been to plenty of training days.

Re: Puppy mill or ethical breeders? [Re: Justin Taylor] #2897618 01/04/12 03:38 PM
L
labpointkennels Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
Thought I would throw this in. All dogs that cross state lines must have a health certificate from a vet. That is a state law enforced by the Texas Animal Health Commission. I only give health certificate to those who are crossing state lines. It is available to others in state at the cost of $30. What my vet charges me.

Labrador Point Kennels
Home of the Texas Red Labradors
Re: Puppy mill or ethical breeders? [Re: labpointkennels] #2897657 01/04/12 03:46 PM
J
Justin Taylor Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
labdaddy, are you part of a retriever club? when my friend came out to look at one of your pups he said your male would just take off and you couldnt get him to come unless you had a collar on him and he even made u fall flat on your face. a retriever club may be able to help you with some obedience so you dont always HAVE to have a ecollar on him to control him. he did say you had some very nice health pups and mom and dad were good looking too.

Re: Puppy mill or ethical breeders? [Re: Justin Taylor] #2897711 01/04/12 04:01 PM
D
duckkhunterr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Well Justin I was asked to drop this so I will but please research people before you throw them under the bus.

Re: Puppy mill or ethical breeders? [Re: duckkhunterr] #2897729 01/04/12 04:07 PM
J
Justin Taylor Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
i have and i stand by my beliefs, and i will drop it also.

Re: Puppy mill or ethical breeders? [Re: Justin Taylor] #2897771 01/04/12 04:17 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
breed a dogjust about every heat cycle and will be breeding them when they are 10 years old too just for that money, even though they may take geat care of them.

WHAT???!!! I'm sorry... how does one simultaneously employ two diabolically opposed practices? It's impossible to be 'taking great care' of any bitch that is bred every heat cycle for 10 years. That is practically a definition of neglect, if not abuse!

i have know several breeders who dont make squat on a litter of pups bcause they are breeding to the top males in the country which cost alot and there females have all of there health clearances plus the money they have put into training to get there female at a top level , so no, they in reality dont make money on those pups.

WRONG. They don't make SHORT TERM PROFIT. There is a difference. They are taking a risk now, making an investment for long term gain. It's simply a different business strategy, Justin. That doesn't make someone who isn't using this method a puppy mill or even a lesser breeder. It simply makes them a different type of entrepreneur.

Who are you to tell people how to run their own home business? This, once again, is the great folly in liberal thinking. You want to be in everyone else's business, running their lives for them, wanting all the power to decide, but none of the responsibility associated with carrying out those unreasonable expectations. What I often see is that people like this are usually so busy minding everyone else's business, they're not tending to their own.

Re: Puppy mill or ethical breeders? [Re: Justin Taylor] #2897800 01/04/12 04:25 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
labdaddy, are you part of a retriever club? when my friend came out to look at one of your pups he said your male would just take off and you couldnt get him to come unless you had a collar on him and he even made u fall flat on your face. a retriever club may be able to help you with some obedience so you dont always HAVE to have a ecollar on him to control him. he did say you had some very nice health pups and mom and dad were good looking too.

Always looking to put others down. Why is that, Justin? I never understood people like this and I have always wanted to just stop them and ask "What did that just do for you?" "What did you gain from that?" "How does that make you feel?" People who do this, habitually attack and demean others confound me. I'm not one to expend energy on anything that doesn't ultimately produce something worthwhile, so please help me understand...

What worthwhile product comes from demeaning and attacking other people?

Re: Puppy mill or ethical breeders? [Re: Justin Taylor] #2897955 01/04/12 05:11 PM
G
Gengo Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Gengo, I would NEVER say ANYTHiNG behind a computer I wouldn't say to someone's face. Just sayn

Then it seems that you should not be involved with clients with your attitude. I was hoping that you were really just a regular person caught up in the world of internet forums where everybody is an expert, but I guess you really are an expert and has no need to learn or hear anything else.

And Travis Lutter?!? Come on man...

Re: Puppy mill or ethical breeders? [Re: Gengo] #2898185 01/04/12 06:15 PM
L
labdaddy Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
Nope just an old duck hunter who is happy with my dog just as he is. He don't need hand signals or whistle stops or big air just needs to fetch ducks and like it

Re: Puppy mill or ethical breeders? [Re: labdaddy] #2898328 01/04/12 06:58 PM
N
nogeese Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: labdaddy
Nope just an old duck hunter who is happy with my dog just as he is. He don't need hand signals or whistle stops or big air just needs to fetch ducks and like it

same here!!!! but my dog likes big air smile

Re: Puppy mill or ethical breeders? [Re: nogeese] #2898342 01/04/12 07:06 PM
J
Justin Taylor Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
isnt that a judgeent ISK? if someone in their own mind is taking good care of their dog. she lives in the house has all of her veterinary needs taken care of is part of the family and is a clean enviroment but yet they breed the crap out of her. to them they are taking good care of her. to us they arent but you dont judge remember.

Gengo, I was and have been an instructor at one of Lutters gym. be MORE than happy to meet you there in person to show you one of my classes if you would like. let you join the class for free just to give it a whirl if you want.

Re: Puppy mill or ethical breeders? [Re: Justin Taylor] #2898348 01/04/12 07:07 PM
J
Justin Taylor Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
gengo, I learn new things everyday. i wil even admit i have learned a few things from ISK from here. everyone is always learning and if they say they arent they are ignorant.

Re: Puppy mill or ethical breeders? [Re: Justin Taylor] #2898384 01/04/12 07:17 PM
N
nogeese Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
i have and i stand by my beliefs, and i will drop it also.

I dont think you have learned when to drop it.....

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide